Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
Hay guys, I like Avant-Gardeish Black Metal like Sigh, Mirrorthrone, and Ihsahn. What else is out there like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004

Misogynist posted:

There's a lot of different styles, so here's my typical laundry list of avant-garde/progressive metal in the black/viking vein so you can pop on MySpace or wherever and find them for yourself:

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale, The Sham Mirrors
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Borknagar - Borknagar, The Olden Domain, The Archaic Course
Enslaved - Below the Lights, Isa
Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme
Frantic Bleep - The Sense Apparatus
In the Woods... - HEart of the Ages (black and abrasive), Omnio (barely black at all but still awesome so I might as well mention it)
maudlin of the Well - Bath/Leaving Your Body Map
Negura Bunget - Om, 'n Crugu Bradului
Peccatum - Lost in Reverie, The Moribund People
Portal - Outre, Seepia
Root - The Book, Madness of the Graves
Scholomance - The Immortality Murder
Solefald - In Harmonia Universali, The Linear Scaffold
Ved Buens Ende - Written in Waters, Those Who Caress the Pale

And maybe:
...And Oceans - The Dynamic Gallery of Thoughts, The Symmetry of I / The Circle of

Steal the following from a blind school child just to laugh at how bad this genre can be:
Oxiplegatz - Sidereal Journey

Thanks a lot, I will check all these out.

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
Holy poo poo, the split between Chinese bands Zuriaake and Yn Gizarm is some of the most amazing poo poo I've ever heard. If you can find that poo poo listen ASAP.

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
Hey guys, if you like Darkspace and even if you don't, check out Nightbringer - Death and the Black Work. Utterly amazing.

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
IMO Infidel Art, Imaginary Sonicscape, Scorn Defeat, and Scenario IV are Sigh's best, in that order. I cannot even stand to listen to Hangman's Hymn for more than 5 minutes, but a lot of people like it.

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
It certainly didn't impress but I probably liked it better than Two Hunters. Diadem was pretty awesome.

edit: actually after a second listening I'm gonna say Wolves in the Throne Room has only gone downhill.

Clothes Optional fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 28, 2009

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
Thy Light and When Mine Eyes Blacken

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
New Beherit album April 9th. Discuss.

Also good female fronted bands I didn't see mentioned:
Be Persecuted
Lucifugum

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
well you guys just hate everything don't you

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
I too would throw myself under a train if I listened to Shining.

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
The new Drudkh EP is amazing, the album is poo poo though. How does this even work? I hope they go back to making the kind of music on the EP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004

lordblytzkrieg posted:

The new EP that's just 2 cover songs?

Yeah, but the Old Drudkh is def. there. With a band that releases an average of 4 tracks an album I can't be too displeased with 2 awesome tracks. I'm just confused because I thought they sucked now.