Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen them mentioned in the thread anywhere, so I'll throw out Trelldom as a really good band. Or at least a band with a really good album: Til Et Annet... is classic BM sound (Darkthrone, Burzum, Taake etc) that's just catchy as poo poo. Also features Gaahl on vocals, I just now saw that. Anyway highly recommended for the old school appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
The most accessible from that list are:
Arcturus - La Masquerade
Borknager - s/t
...And Oceans - The Dynamic Gallery
Enslaved (I'd actually recommend Mardraum: Beyond The Within from them, or Blodhemn for more straight up viking metal)
Linear Scaffold is quite good too

In the Woods and Maudlin of the Well I've never been able to get into, they jump around a little too much or something :/

I'm not familiar with most of the other bands but I can tell Misogynist knows his poo poo so I'll be checking some of them out as well :)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Not Very Metal posted:

Hell yeah, I discovered them a couple of months ago as well. I've only got Till Minne, how is Til Et Annet?

I haven't heard Til Minne yet, but if it's anything like Til Et Annet then I need to :) Annet is 'catchy' black metal the same way as Taake's debut or A Blaze in the Northern Sky.

Man, Gaahl's a sensitive artist all right :) I remember there was a series of interviews on youtube with him, he took the crew up to the top of this mountain, like above the treeline, and showed them this little hut that his grandfather built and lived in or something. So that means he had to haul up all the wood and stuff to built it. That's pretty goddamn metal.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man that interview's awesome. In the last segment he's whining that nobody understands his art or whatever and one of the guys says 'well show me, teach us.' In response Gaahl sits and stares at him for like 45 seconds then *sip* of his wine. Roll motherfucking credits.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So I'm going to visit some family in Bergen, Norway in about a week and a half and I need some advice.

I'm all ready going to try and pick up an LP of Hvst Lyset Tar Oss as a souvenir, I don't even have a turntable but it would be cool to try and mount it somewhere. And I suppose if I see one of the first few from Gorgoroth that would be worth picking up as well, just for hometown support.

Has anything else of note come from Bergen? Any particularly badass record stores? Should I try and sneak a burnt chunk of wood pulled from the side of a freshly burnt church through customs? Help a brother out...

I Feel Every Flower That is Screaming to Consume You

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Not Very Metal posted:

Gorgoroth, Immortal and Borknagar just off the top of my head.

Hey I didn't know about them, At the Heart of Winter and Quintessence here I come :rock:

p.s. I was kidding about the chruch thing, neo-nazi sarcasm doesn't work over the internet it seems.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well pack it in boys, Norwegian Black Metal has finally broken through the mainstream consciousness and is now officially considered ArtTM by normies. It was fun while it lasted.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/23/entertainment/cnnphotos-norwegian-metal-singers/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A band's best album is the first one I heard, they started getting worse moving forwards and/or backwards from there.

Are there any decent metal review sites left? I don't want to just blindly listen to everything recommended but I do want some kind of filter to at least cut down on the amount of new content. I used to read Teufel's Tomb of all things and while I didn't agree with a lot of the staff, Teufel himself seemed to have similar tastes to my own and was a decent source of new material for a few years. He talked up the first Gore Bash EP and it's still a fun listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU3nozjT0ww

Or is that basically what everyone uses these <genre> threads for now?