Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Sounds like that might fit the mood of the album (thanks for the recommendation, will check them out).

You know what to do.

Avant Gardening posted:

recomend me some good japanese bm besides gnome and gorugoth

Early Sigh is my recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Everyone's favourite hosed-up germanic gnome Varg Vikernes is up for parole this month. Does anyone have any details?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Not in London this February, it wasn't. Maybe it's a North American press thing?

On a side note, I went to a Merzbow concert and I pretty much hated it (sorry, Kai!). I'm glad I went for the experience, but my goodness, never again.

Merzbow isn't enjoyable (in the conventional sense) to me by any stretch of the imagination. I'm also glad I went but a bit hesitant to pay for another go - I guess I would have to listen to him more on record to get a sense for what he's trying to achieve.

MrBling posted:

Why would someone need to stand up for non-scandinavian black metal? Pretty much all the good stuff is from places that aren't Scandinavia.

These days, yeah. But as has been mentioned there are still hardcore "Bergen scene '94 only" fans who do a disservice to the genre as they ignore the output from non-Scandinavian countries.

I have a problem with the rise of NSBM that I think is linked to the rise of the non-Scandinavian bands, though. But that's just my personal opinion and I'm not starting a discussion.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 7, 2008

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

Awesome album: PYHA - The Haunted House

evil as gently caress. Out soon on tUMULt.

Holy poo poo I need to hear this.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Wow, PYHA's stuff is really... depressing. It's like Gris without all the French smarm. Listening to it and thinking about how he's now serving in the N. Korean in the first steps of what will probably be a terrible adult life, I just can't help but feel all :smith:.

There is absolutely no way PYHA is from North Korea.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Doesn't the originally-linked page on Pyha say that most of the compositions and recordings are several years ago (i.e. done when the guy was 14 or thereabouts) and that he is currently in the army. Reading comprehension and all that.

Anyway, feel free to hurrrrr all you want but I only last night had a listen to Drudkh's Autumn Aurora. What an interesting album. Conceptually really cool.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Edit: double post sorry

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Anyone else heard the new Cradle of Filth album, Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder? It's leaked.

The only reason I risk my black metal interweb street cred with mentioning their name is that it reminds me a lot of their first 3 albums. Particularly Cruelty and the Beast. Anyone else agree?

Not that I've heard it (or am intending to) but sounding like Cruelty isn't exactly a compliment. Personally I mean in the composition sense, but production-wise as well.

Also I am laughing pretty hard at you guys cracking knuckles and huffing and puffing away at the tastes of a hypothetical someone else. Especially at Gr31lly.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Noktorn posted:

Let me guess, you have Dead As Dreams on vinyl, don't you.

I don't... (in fact I had to google the title) but I do have Southern Lord stuff on vinyl (Earth's HEX and WitTR's Diadem of 12 Stars) so I guess I fit your hipster scumbag stereotype.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

edit: double post sorry

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

IntoTheNihil posted:

Varg was the one that last changed the genre and created an entire (and now terrible) sub genre. He's done more for black metal than almost anyone. Euronymous was a worthless human being and did hardly anything notable. I complete agree with the pro-Varg side of it that says Euro wanted to torture Varg.

So you are seriously advocating killing people that are "worthless" as human beings?

Or are just saying that for fun.

pugna posted:

If you don't think every album up to and including Filosofem is essential black metal listening you're dumb.

I don't think anyone is disputing his influence on the genre - just his continued importance and necessity.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 2, 2008

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Death Rotisserie posted:

You caught the Chicago show? How was the indie pop band that opened for them?
http://www.myspace.com/wallydogger
I can't completely say that I can't believe these guys were supposed to open for Watain, but ugh what a complete non sequitur.

Wow, who thought of that combo?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

HorrorJunkie posted:

Edit:^^^^^That's true of US tours too, buying cds at concerts is stupid, they're almost always the most expensive you'll ever see them.

But I'd say that if it's the bassist handing over the CD, they see most of that money themselves.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Quite possibly. The few CD's and other merch I've bought at shows here (London) have all been negotiable in price which leads me to think that it's possibly not going to shorten some debt to a label.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

sephiroth669 posted:

Man that interview's awesome. In the last segment he's whining that nobody understands his art or whatever and one of the guys says 'well show me, teach us.' In response Gaahl sits and stares at him for like 45 seconds then *sip* of his wine. Roll motherfucking credits.

It's been analysed to death before but the conventional black metal satanist take on that is that he wasn't whining - that he feels superior to the subhuman scum (including those interviewing him) that just don't get what it's about (i.e. self-reliance etc) and what does the interviewer do? "Show me show me" in a complete antithesis of what he had been trying to explain.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

What do you call The Angelic Process?

Not black metal, surely.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Mordekai posted:

"true norwegian black metal" has been dead since 2000

that late?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I'd love to see it too.

Doubly so if it has a picture of Nocturno Culto teaching.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Would they not kill you for being a dirty foreigner defiling their land?

Also what is up with flyers now including the non vomit-logo band names? They never used to do that.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Am seeing Wolves In The Throne Room (at the same venue) in under two weeks, am very excited :)

Hurf hipster poo poo for hipster emo fags with rainbows on their t-shirts and god knows what little Moomin character pins.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Clogproof Orifice posted:

early Darkthrone sounding stuff with lots of repetition and atmosphere.

It was the eerie repetitive building-up of a wall of noise that first gave me shivers with black metal. I didn't get into it then, but I know what you mean.

Nobody ever remembers Carpathian Forest in their recommendations of second-wave black metal. Or Nifelheim for that matter.

Also, Mayhem's De Mysteriis dom Sathanas is eerie as gently caress. Not quite Darkthrone but very, loving, brutal.

edit: Also loving listen to Dissection and early Lord Belial. Not quite as raw in production but A+ for atmosphere.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 21, 2009

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Except about listening to Carpathian Forest because that poo poo is sick.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

At least part of Frost's :wtf: factor comes from the cat-eye contacts.

Oh and the vaguely effeminate voice.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

i don't know who that is but there is a bit of a resemblance.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Oooo, Wolves in the Throne Room in a matter of hours. fun.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

What there's new WITTR? I haven't heard it.

Noooo :(

edit: What they have a bass player now? :wtf:

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 28, 2009

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Whatever you fuckers say I enjoyed the gig and what they played (I Will Lay Down My Bones, Queen of the Borrowed Light and Vastness and Sorrow). Nathan was very nice and I met some nice people. Didn't get it on like the two lovebirds in our party but hey. Good night anyway.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

pugna posted:

Kroda had horns, but I didn't get a photo. They had a variety of wacky instruments! They even had the 'dwang dwang' mouth thingy.

The mouth harp is the new fuzzy guitar in black metal.

Seriously, when will someone bring steel drums into the genre?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Openknees posted:

I'm imagining steel drums in Dimmu Borgir's Entrance now...

Souls on arrival Bink Bink Bonk

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I went to a Norwegian festival last summer and spent around $50 per day on beer alone. And I had booze of my own.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Those sound like regular power chords, which makes it all have a really rock 'n roll feel. Low-fi rock'n roll black metal. A less-depressive Bathory and not quite as silly Venom. Pretty nifty.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 17, 2009

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Dark Medieval Times.

That is all.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Optimum Gulps posted:

Of all the bands, Nyktalgia definitely has the best vocals, though.

Haven't heard any, but that is high praise, considering Gris has some incredible wailing.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

In all hipstery seriousness, what do you non-WITTR haters think of the new album? I have not heard it yet.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

Someone posted a fine specimen in the metal thread a few days ago you should look him up. I think he's even in a black metal band. :swoon:

I think Satyr is married.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Not Very Metal posted:

OMTSIBFIHOP is pretty loving kvlt. And for sure, Gorgoroth is a cool word, but now there is a lot of stigma attached to it. Who gives a poo poo what name they use, as long as they all keep writing.

As much as black metal is supposed to be about introspection and noncommerciality, there are a lot of angsty teens out there who have a GorgorotH patch on their hot topic bag and will only buy albums with names they recognize.

edit: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=115816 holy poo poo

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 10, 2009

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Not Very Metal posted:

the best thing he's done for metal in recent years is stay in jail.

Also: "Barad-dm"

Let it be said for the record that I am not, and never have been, a fan of Kristian "Varg" Vikernes the person (and have some difficulty listening to his music due to his actions/statements). It's just that him getting out of jail is, well, a bit of a milestone. He was in jail when I got into metal so it's hard to think of him out.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Not Very Metal posted:

Blackmetallilitto Various

Most of the stuff Ive listened to and enjoyed, the exception being Samael.

You had the best Samael albums on there. Baphomet's Throne is sick.

I can't remember exactly what's on blackmetalliliitto but iirc it's basically a Spinefarm release of their bands or licenses. I'm thinking it must be round about 1998 so it'd have stuff like Dimmu Borgir, Nemesis Divina-era Satyricon etc. on it. The Finnish bands on there are probably good. It probably has Beherit or Thy Serpent on there, and they're good raw black metal.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

m-o-o-n posted:

Thy serpent were never really raw, though. Their first couple of albums were kinda girly keyboard-laden black metal and they weren't particularly good. The last EP was a good deal darker and heavier and they broke up after that one, which is a shame.

ok fair enough. I haven't listened to any Thy Serpent in yeeeeears and may be confusing them with some other finnish band (Enochian Crescent? Is that possible?) active around that time. 1998 happens to be the year I was exposed to the whole Finnish scene so... you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Gr31lly posted:

or even (yuck) Dark Funeral

From what I remember the guys are douchebags and whatever else but holy poo poo I listened to "In the Sign of the Horn" after not hearing it for years and it rocked my socks.