Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

HorrorJunkie posted:

I love, love, love 1349 and think they do the whole blastbeat-crazy side of black metal very well.

I got told off (in a different thread) for liking 1349. Oh well, glad I'm not the only fan out there.

My god, Armada by Keep Of Kalessin is brilliant. Experimental and melodic in places, it still kicks my arse most satisfactorily.

On the subject of Wolves In The Throne Room's living arrangements:
"In a recent interview with Metal Maniacs, the band is vying for a completely organic, back-to-their-roots sort of lifestyle. They live together in a house in the woods, grow their own food, cultivate their own livestock and scorn the consumer-based traditions of the modern world. While they aren't completely self-sufficient as of yet, they're nearing their goal." (From a discussion in the best metal group I've found on Facebook so far.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

HamsterHuey posted:

I am posting here kind of as a last resort since other threads were extremely unhelpful. I really have no knowledge whatsoever of black metal but I'm really into the band Alcest. I really like the new album though which I guess is pretty much entirely not black metal and is pretty far removed from their older stuff. Is there anything else that sounds like that? I love stuff like Jesu or this where it can be really heavy but still melodic and I guess more shoegaze influenced. If nothing else it could just be the vocals, because even when Alcest were shredding like the dickens the vocals were still very wispy and not like, I dunno, Burzum or whatever.

Agalloch are possibly a good bet too. If you can stomach the vocals.

I saw Marduk last night - they were quite fun. Mortuus kind of shuffled around like an evil ghost. :)

Also, Fekthreroenuerm might be the most kvlt band ever.

Fekthreroenuerm's MySpace posted:

About FEKTHREROENUERM
Fekthreroenuerm is a black metal band from Lithuania. They only released one demo in 1987, "Conquering The Satanic Dominion Between Spectral Storms" and only 13 official copies were pressed and released (although a myriad of bootlegs have been made). Their song "Under the Soulless Luciferian Moonlit Death Mountain" is prime example of the coldness that represented the first wave of Lithuanian NSBM of which this band was the forerunner.

"Conquering The Satanic Dominion Between Spectral Storms" features two vocalists because in the middle of their recording process, the original vocalist killed himself.

FEKTHREROENUERM's Friend Space
FEKTHREROENUERM has 0 friends.

Hahahaha

E:

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Anyways, my black metal is seriously lacking when compared to my collection of other genres. My collection has most of the stuff by Arcturus, Emperor, Dissection, Empyrium, Summoning, Ulver, Windir, Moonsorrow, Primordial, Bathory, early Satyricon, early Dimmu Borgir, and Wolves in the Throne Room. I'm already looking into some of the bands posted about, but I'm sure I am missing some must-haves from the genre. Anyone mind filling the gaps?

Immortal?

EvilMoJoJoJo fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 29, 2007

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

The only people who care what others think of their music haven't even reached college yet.

I won a prize at my work's Christmas party for "Most Outlandish Taste in Music". Then I left the party at about 8.15 and went to see Gorgoroth. Then came back to the party after the gig (there was a free bar and by that point everyone was in a conga line). My workmates all think I'm mad, but in a good way, I think :)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I got back from seeing Wolves In The Throne Room last night; what an AMAZING gig. Team effort review here.

It was beautiful. I nearly cried.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

brightfield posted:

I just got a bunch of albums the other day, and one of them Gris' "Il était une forêt..." (I think translates to "It was a forest") has knocked me out. If you don't like depressive (ambient) black metal, though, stay away.

"Il était une forêt" echoes the traditional beginning of French fairy tales - "Il était une fois". I think it might translate into English along the lines of "Once upon a time in a forest". Sounds like that might fit the mood of the album (thanks for the recommendation, will check them out).

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's called hipster metal because for whatever reason it just happens to appeal to them. I've never been to one, but everyone that's been to a Wolves In The Throne Room concert said it was more hipsters than metalheads.

Not in London this February, it wasn't. Maybe it's a North American press thing?

On a side note, I went to a Merzbow concert and I pretty much hated it (sorry, Kai!). I'm glad I went for the experience, but my goodness, never again.

Thanks to everyone in this thread and the other one - you know the one I mean - who has recommended Mirrorthrone. I am addicted.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Edit: ^^^ You are absolutely right. God drat.

deltawing posted:

If you enjoy Sons of Northern Darkness, you're in luck because At the Heart of Winter and Damned in Black are both in the same vein. Highly recommended.

np: Mirrorthrone - De l’Échec et de son Essentialité [point 1. marginalité démystifiée] "Carriers of Dust"

Anyone else into Mirrorthrone? Victor, the mastermind behind Mirrorthrone, amongst other bands, is an absolute genius! If you want to check them out, I highly recommend Gangrene and Carriers of Dust.

I recently started listening to Keep of Kalessin. The riffing on Armada is totally sinister, and kicks your rear end right away with Crown of the Kings.

Mirrorthrone is incredible. Thanks again to THE AWESOME GHOST and all other Mirrorthrone pushers - I have a new favourite band.

lazer bullet: What other kinds of metal/music do you like? If you like thrashy stuff, Orthodoxyn by Arkhon Infaustus might suit you (or am I going out on a limb?). For ambient, I'm assuming you've already got Burzum, right? On a kind of similar note, I know they catch a bit of stick round here, but Wolves In The Throne Room's Two Hunters is an atmospheric folk-influenced album which I like a lot.

If you're into folk at all, I highly recommend Verisäkeet by Moonsorrow, who incorporate a lot of black metal elements into their music, but you might want to disregard this as I will recommend Moonsorrow to absolutely everybody every chance I get in a manically obsessed kind of way. Ahem.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I've been on an ambient BM kick for a while and have had ColdWorld recommended via my Last.fm shoutbox. On first listen to Melancholie^2, I love it. Can anyone recommend similar stuff?

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

meba rhodium posted:

I'm an absolute sucker for symphonic black metal, and I haven't found a new fix in ages. So I need your help.

What I'm listening to now that relates to that genre:

Anorexia Nervosa
Dimmu Borgir (an old highscool sweetheart I'm still in love with)
Arcturus
Equilibrium (really digging Sagas)
Nokturnal Mortum

Any recommendations appreciated.

Mirrorthrone! (Gangrene or Carriers of Dust are both excellent.)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Can anyone suggest anything along the lines of Andacht by Lunar Aurora? I can't stop listening to that album.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

OK I know I am a million years late on this, but Monument by Cor Scorpii has leapfrogged its way up to the top of my favourites list. Pure brilliance.

Does anyone have any opinions/recommendations to share on Iskald? They're touring with Vreid and Kampfar and I'd like to know whether it's worth turning up early enough to see them, too.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Groke posted:

I saw them live at Inferno last year and, well, they certainly played their stuff well enough but they were definitely not the most comfortable stage act I've seen. The vocalist in particular seemed pretty drat tense and nervous at being up there in front of the crowd. I guess it might be attributable to lack of experience (they come from way the gently caress out in the sticks and this was something like the third time they played a gig outside of their home territory, so to speak).

Still, they were good enough to make me go buy their album. And it seems quite likely that they'll be loosening up a little as they gain touring experience.

Thanks for the Iskald info (also thanks to Morbid Florist). They're opening at the Underworld in Camden which is a nice intimate venue, so they'll hopefully be less nerve-struck.

Am seeing Wolves In The Throne Room (at the same venue) in under two weeks, am very excited :)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Clothes Optional posted:

Hey guys, if you like Darkspace and even if you don't, check out Nightbringer - Death and the Black Work. Utterly amazing.

Ooh, good call. As a dedicated Darkspace fan, this is excellent stuff.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Kaiho posted:

Hurf hipster poo poo for hipster emo fags with rainbows on their t-shirts and god knows what little Moomin character pins.

Oh shut it you're just as excited as I am ;)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

quantumdots posted:

For the Oslo goon, there was a club we went to with a real generic name, like Rock Club, I think. Is that still around? It was like finding heaven on earth for me: pool tables, cheap beer (only $5 a pint) and black metal blasting on the PA. We saw Vreid play there and went to a Gorgoroth record release party there as well (King and Gaahl were there, Infernus was in jail at the time).

I just got back from seeing Vreid (and Iskald and Kampfar). They were much better than I'd expected.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

BosendorferIstKrieg posted:

ColdWorld. The album is "Melancholie²".

Yes, great album. And Lifelover too (I have the album Konkurs and it's really good).

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Why can't I find a nice boy who likes black metal as much as I do :(

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Openknees posted:

Truthfully I only really can get into the first three songs on Hellfire, but those three alone are really I all I need to hear to love 1349.

I keep one and just one 1349 song - Hellfire, as it happens - on my mp3 player for those moments on my daily Tube commute when my absolute loathing for the scrabbling, shoving masses around me threatens to boil over. It's very effective for that.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

The new medley Primitive Graven Image posted on their Myspace is really good! Looking forward to the new album, and maybe even getting to see them in London sometime.

Sir Xiphos posted:

Quick question for those that have heard it:

Is the new Absu up to Tara's standards, or any good at all?

I haven't heard it myself, but it's been raved about at length in the other metal thread so I'm guessing the consensus is yeah.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Any Gris fans should check out Austere, the Australian one. Withering Illusions And Desolation is nice and depressing.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

As promised: Thank you, Chrys, for recommending Dark Funeral! Eidolon is loving awesome and I look forward to checking out everything else they have ever done.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Thanks both, will do!

On a side note: I've mentioned them in the other metal thread but they fit better here - A Forest of Stars is beautiful, atmospheric, prog/experimental (so Last says anyway) black metal, and the album The Corpse of Rebirth is one of the better I've heard recently.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Misogynist posted:

No that would be if they teamed up with Marduk or 1349

If they teamed up with 1349 surely they'd be Bore Scorpii (just kidding, I don't mind 1349 and I really love Cor Scorpii an awful lot).

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Caucasus Belli posted:

Funeral Mist's Maranatha is incredible, anyone who liked Rom 5:12 needs to go and buy it now.

p. sure you mean Fortress there but you're welcome!

D'oh! That's my nominal dysphasia kicking in. Of course you're right. :)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Caucasus Belli posted:

You dunno what you missed dude, that gig was loving sweet as hell.

I agree, was awesome. On-stage vomiting.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ElectricWizard posted:

Is anyone else here planning to attend Under The Black Sun this year? Can hardly wait to catch Lifelover live, for their second time ever! :D

Was kind of thinking of going, but then my plans fell through. :( Do please report back on Darkspace's set, though, anyone who does go.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I've just ordered the debut album by Pensées Nocturnes, Vacuum, based on what I heard on their MySpace. PN is an ambient/depressive black metal solo project from France with a very strong classical influence. I came across them/him while searching for stuff similar to Gris and A Forest of Stars. Really looking forward to getting that CD.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I hope this thread never dies.

As mentioned elsewhere, I have just got my Pensées Nocturnes album, Vacuum, and highly recommend it to all DSBM fans. It's got a very strong classical influence to it too, which I think works really well.

Can anyone recommend me any black metal bands that sing in Basque? The idea just appeals to me, for some reason, and with the Basque country's long and bloody history there's plenty of war and rebellion for them to write about.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Not Very Metal posted:

What do you man by DSBM? Depressingly Symphonic? Damnably Spacious? Deviously Slow?

DSBM = depressive/suicidal black metal (it has its own tag page on last.fm so it must be a real genre, right? Right?). Not dick-suckingly bad metal, as someone on that page suggests. Well, sure, some of it is but I'm finding a lot of bands I like using this tag.

Looking at the Top Artists page, there's apparently a DSBM band called Happy Days. This I have to hear. Emo black metal?

Fake edit: I'm In A Coffin, er, OK.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Caucasus Belli posted:

I hate this and I hate you for bringing it into my life.

What, really? :(

Misogynist posted:

Take a good hard look at the motherfucking coffin

there is something not right with that picture

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

catbread.jpg posted:

Don't die black metal thread...!

So. Altar of Plagues. Unreserved genius. Anybody got recommendations for similar bands?

A Forest of Stars? And yes AoP are brilliant and I can't wait for their London gig. :)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

catbread.jpg posted:

Good bands (I'm sure you people know what kind of stuff I like by now):

Austere
Sun of the Blind
Enmerkar
Lantlôs

I know and love two of those (Enmerkar and Austere) so will definitely check out the others. :)

Saw Primitive Graven Image at Bloodstock and they kicked arse. New album should be out later this year, and the song they played from it was awesome.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Caucasus Belli posted:

Definitely look into Sun of the Blind, it's one of the best black/ambient projects out there and as a Skagos fan I don't think you could possibly not enjoy it.

SotB: Awesome. Cheers for the brilliant rec, as ever. :)

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

What a stellar lineup! gently caress you Euro goons. gently caress you.

SATYRICON, SHINING, NEGURA BUNGET and DARK FORTRESS tour dates:
Dec. 20 - O2 - Islington, London, UK

Yes yes yes YES YES YES gently caress YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Aschlafly posted:

Lately I've been pretty much possessed by Xasthur, Leviathan, Shining, and Judas Iscariot. What's some other good black metal in the same vein?

Argharus (thanks, Caucasus Belli!) sound like Shining and the album "Pleištas" is very good.

You'll probably also like The Ruins of Beverast. I love their/his album "Unlock the Shrine". And Nortt are more kind of funeral doom than black metal, but if you like Xasthur, they're definitely worth a go.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Caucasus Belli posted:

Angmar's new album Zurück in Die Unterwelt is loving amazing and any of y'all who like WitTR need to check it out immediately.

(EvilMojoJoJo I'm looking at you)

OK fine I will do my metal homework you slave driver you :rolleyes:

;)

Which Ossadogva album was it you recommended as well, instead of Born From A Tomb?

You, in return, need to listen to Nightbringer - Death And The Black Work. Lovely dense slab of an album which reminds me a lot of Darkspace. And Nyktalgia, too, they're gorgeous DSBM. I don't see either of those on your Last.fm charts so hopefully they'll be new to you.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Guzwar posted:

For anyone interested in my Secrets of the Moon interview, you can read it here. Absent from the transcription are Thelemnar and Ar's German accents, and Motorhead playing over the club speakers.

Cool interview!

quote:

Thelemnar: I love the band Wardruna of course, it’s a great band, really great. Some friends of mine from Romania, the band is called Negura Bunget, they are also using very traditional, old instruments, like blocks of wood and I am going to start a band with them, also with our session live player. This will be interesting. We will just put our emotions and feelings into this music, and nature has a lot to do with it, and this is what I love.

Oh my god SotM and NB tie-up :shlick:

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

catbread.jpg posted:

The band that no longer exists in any recognisable form?

I got the impression from the interview that it's the ones who aren't in the 'new' NB, for what it's worth.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I don't know who recommended the new Nazxul album, Iconoclast, but thank you - it's amazing.

First album I've heard by them - how does it stack up compared to their older stuff?

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Winterfylleth are good, but their liner notes do make me wonder if they're a bit BNP black metal. Still, I bump into Chris, the lead singer, at various gigs and he seems a nice enough chap.

Black metal thread: What are your albums of the year? Mine are, in no particular order:
Altar of Plagues - White Tomb
Oranssi Pazuzu - Muukalainen Puhuu
Nazxul - Iconoclast
Mistur - Attende
Secrets of the Moon - Privilegivm
Shining - VI: Klagopsalmer
Enmerkar - Starlit Passage (EP)
Skagos - Ást
Drudkh - Microcosmos

List subject to change, and by no means complete. But a starting point, anyway.

E: God drat it's hard to spell Finnish words XD

EvilMoJoJoJo fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Good to see Altar of Plagues getting some love from the thread :3

Groke posted:

And would at least add
The Ruins of Beverast - Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite.

Oooh, I forgot that TRoB had put out another album. Will look into it.

Catbread: I forgot about the Fen album, too. I get an almost Proustian memory-rush when I hear it, though, and can almost smell the peculiar stink of the Underworld in Camden, which is where I first heard songs from that album. I'll investigate Caïna, too. Good to find out what all y'all have been into this year. :)