Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Latis posted:

Recommend to me some ambient black metal. I.E. Darkspace.

Edit: Or more...spacey black metal...if there is such a thing.

The Ruins of Beverast. I really like Unlock the Shrine but I'm told the new album is good, too.

Also Nyktalgia, they have a bit of a Darkspace thing going on. The aforementioned Nightbringer and Sun of the Blind are excellent. And Enmerkar's EP Starlit Passage is seriously good, a top 10 release of the year for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

lordblytzkrieg posted:

There's gotta be more bands like Myrkgrav out there. Off the top of my head I can think of Falkenbach and Manegarm, but other than that I can't think of anymore. Any recommendations?

Edit: Mostly just looking for black metal with the folky chanting. I can't get enough of it.

Oh god is this actually a legit chance for me to post Moonsorrow? Because Kivenkantaja or Verisäkeet might be just what you're after.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Not Very Metal posted:

Sure, sorry:

Thank you so much for posting this. I really wish I could have been there and may yet email the organisers to ask for copies of the papers that were presented.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Black metal thread: What are your albums of the year? Mine are, in no particular order:
Altar of Plagues - White Tomb
Oranssi Pazuzu - Muukalainen Puhuu
Nazxul - Iconoclast
Mistur - Attende
Secrets of the Moon - Privilegivm
Shining - VI: Klagopsalmer
Enmerkar - Starlit Passage (EP)
Skagos - Ást
Drudkh - Microcosmos

Only on my first listen-through, but I'd like to add Merrimack - Grey Rigorism to the above list. What an awesome album.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

I actually do the exact same thing. My most recent purchase finally included some Moonsorrow, and I'm kicking myself for not getting into this band for so long. That has been rectified! And I cannot wait until they come to town in April!

Hurrah! Kai's and my nagging finally paid off then. Hävitetty is my favourite album. Also jealous that they're touring North America again. :( come back to Europe, you Finnish layabouts!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

private message posted:

Hinsidig's new album Bak og Forbi... is some really good atmospheric black metal. It sounds sort of like a mix of Ulver and Nyktalgia. The guitar leads and the drums are especially good. Highly recommended!

That sounds like a good mix. Will check out!

Kaiho posted:

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but in case it hasn't, apparently they've released a lot of the material from the Hideous Gnosis black metal and theory symposium: http://blackmetaltheory.blogspot.com/ (especially for you, EvilMoJoJoJo)

Likewise! :)

Kinda related, I'm really enjoying the Extreme Metal book/sociology PhD thesis by Keith Kahn-Harris - it's accessible enough to anyone with a basic grounding in academic jargon, and is quite thought-provoking. Caucasus Belli, would you like to borrow it when I'm done?

Also, thinking about going to see Wodensthrone on Friday, and if anyone has any opinions on them I'd be keen to hear them.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Yo Chi Minh posted:

I'm going to this (there's also Fen the day after). Loss is a fantastic album and is thoroughly recommended!

Ha, I'll be at the Fen gig too. See you there! Let me know if you want to meet up for a mini BM goon meet :)

Thanks for the album info, will try and have a listen before Friday!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I wrote to Andy of Caïna about the lyrics to "Drilling the Spire", and certain parallels I saw with the poetry of Rimbaud (yes I know I am a pretentious idiot). He wrote me back a lovely reply, to which I will reply in due course. Extract below:

quote:

I'm really glad that the EP spoke to you in some way, particularly as it's been (partly deliberately) alienating for some of my listeners. For someone who is intensely self-critical, I still think it's the strongest thing I've released to date, though hopefully the forthcoming EP and album (this year and next) will top it. [Hurrah! New stuff on the way!]

You've definitely hit upon some interesting parallels here - I'm not sure if the fact that they're unconscious makes them more or less interesting for you. For me it's the former, as I'm quite a big fan of such examples of Jungian/Fortean synchronisity. I've not read the Illuminations, though I do own a copy of Les Fleurs Du Mal. That's not to say that Rimbaud hasn't influenced my writing at all, but it's most likely through osmosis rather than through conscious pastiche or imitation.

Apart from these inter-textual connections, I was more pleased to read your description of the chorus as embodying some "...idea of inverting the human order, and the sudden resurgence of the natural", as that's the exact idea I was trying to evoke. People accurately (or not, seeing as we live in post death-of-the-author times, but meaning interpretations closest to my own intentions) interpreting my 'work' is rare indeed. There's a line in Lars Von Trier's recent Antichrist, "nature is Satan's church" that could be used as a catch-all phrase for this concept - it's a paradigm that I return to moth-like whenever I'm writing.

...That first verse (and the whole song really) is a rather tiresome re-tread of an Apocalyptic scenario - Caesar refers to the rise of the Antichrist, the "final Caesar" of early Christianity, whilst the references to the sea engulfing the stars and the dogs/sirens signal a spacial and temporal collapse. This is a disruption of the natural cycle, its ultimate disconnect, nadir or zenith...

I was very impressed to get such a cogent, informative and pleasant reply. I know that EP had a few fans in this thread so just thought I'd share.

I have also been singing "We built our church upside-down / Drilled the spire deep into the mud" to myself fairly often over the past fortnight. That lyric has got itself stuck into my head, somehow.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Ronnie Spector posted:

credit to anus.com

Nice bit of bonus homophobia there in the Chuck Schuldiner bit... oh. Anus.com. Say no more.

Oldstench, have you heard Sun Of The Blind? I listened to Skullreader again today and was reminded how fabulous it is.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Interrupting VARGCHAT to bring you all exciting news about a new EP from Altar of Plagues, called Tides:

quote:

Hey Jo.

Thanks for all the kind words, glad you're still enjoying White Tomb. As far as I know, Burning World will be putting up a pre-order package [for TIDES] quite soon, as it's being released in 4 weeks. They will be handling all the ordering as we have a lot of touring coming up so we don't have time to do it ourselves. I can drop you a line when they do put up if you want, I reckon it would be going up within the next two weeks. It'll be out on cd digipack & gatefold LP, and the first 100 copies of the LP come with a limited photo-book with James' photography work. I think there also might be a t-shirt in the works as a sort of "package", but were not 100% on that just now.

I'm not sure exactly when we'll be back in London, but I'd be pretty confident in saying we'll be there at some point over the summer. Once we get the upcoming tour over with we can start looking at that then. But yeah, we'll definitely make it over at some point.

Cheers,
Dave.

Yessssssss. White Tomb was incredible and I can't wait to hear this - apparently Tides is darker still than their previous output, and has two tracks on it. When I get info on the pre-order, I'll post it here, if there's interest.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I got the Hideous Gnosis book through the post the other day.

It's a collection of the papers that were given at that BM/theory symposium in Brooklyn just before Christmas, the one that the NYT wrote about.

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but flicking through, it certainly looks interesting. Then there's the page headed up by quotes from Plato's "Phaedo", Camus' "State of Siege", and "Nergal of Behemoth".

Will report back when I'm done.

Edit: Apologies for NWS image host, didn't realise that, pic edited out. I think the book is on Amazon US now although I got it from some print on demand place.

EvilMoJoJoJo fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 10, 2010

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

New Nightbringer in May as well! Yesssssss

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I quite like that Dragontower song. :( Also I am re-reading the Earthsea books and have just got to the first mention of Kalessin's keep, while the dark rune Agnen has also made an appearance...

I have ordered this comp:

Took ages to work out how to order it but I think it will be worth it. I can't wait for it to arrive! Agalloch, Fen, Enmerkar, Kehrä, Oskoreien, October Falls, oh yes.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I somehow managed to miss news of its release, but the new Winterfylleth album, The Mercian Sphere, is really good. Saw them supporting Sigh last week and bought the album afterwards for a tenner. It reminds me of new Nazxul, in a good way.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I saw Ihsahn last night! It was wicked awesome. He even played a couple of Emperor songs: "The Tongue Of Fire" and "Thus Spake The Nightspirit". Very impressive set (although the vocals were a bit too quiet in parts - slightly dodgy mixing going on). I wasn't really too familiar with Ihsahn's solo stuff - I've got The Adversary, but that's about it - but will definitely check out more of his albums, as everything sounded fantastic - especially "On The Shores", which was the last song before the encore.

He also described Emperor as a "boy band I was in during the 90s". I laughed. :)

And he wears glasses! <3

Other bands: Leprous, aka Ihsahn's backing band, were dreadful playing their own material but worked well with Ihsahn; the drummer managed to split one of his kick-drums during "The Tongue Of Fire" :)

Shining (Nor) were very, very interesting and intense - the black metal and jazz fusion worked better than I'd feared. Saxophone solo!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Tony Jowns posted:

I see it as a basic grunt, just done in a black metal voice. Tom G. Warrior, for example, was doing sorta "OOOGH" interjections with his vocal style, it's not to hard to imagine the "UEGHK" or whatever onomatopoeia you want to use being just a natural development of that

Taake does that kind of "OOEEEE" thing a lot. Hard to transcribe but anyone who's listened to Taake must know what I mean. When I saw them, Hoest kept on thrusting the microphone into the audience and getting people from the front row to do his "OOEEEE"s for him, which was hilarious.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Kvelertak are basically punk with just enough of a black metal edge that I can listen to them. Also they are ridiculously fun live.

http://www.myspace.com/kvelertak

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Don't forget this amazing Watain quote, from an interview with Invisible Oranges.

quote:

If Watain had unlimited resources, what would you do that you have not done so far?

We would get a stage that was big enough to hold six billion corpses. Then we would arrange six billion human corpses and put them on the stage, and then we would play the last Watain show ever on that stage. And then we would probably go and have a drink at headquarters, and drink to the world’s end.

Er, ok.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

IRQ posted:

Anaal%2BNathrakh.jpg

Kaiho's crush on Mick Kenny continues unabated, I see :)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

HMorg posted:

Clair Cassis?

"Light blackcurrant"???

Thanks for the Forteresse tip, Gr31lly. I've heard the name before but will definitely check them out now.

My own request: I want some grim, angry (but not too thrashy) BM in the style of Geist, Imperium Dekadenz and Endstille. Something about that German sound is hitting my sweet spot of late.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Anathema Mameshiba posted:

Well iirc you have a lot of the best German BM already, but look into Orlog and if you don't have any get yourself some Nocte Obducta immediately (not their last ep)

Will check Orlog out for sure! I will also investigate Nocte Obducta further - I like what I've heard so far, so thanks for the reminder.

Cold Day posted:

Moonsorrow - V: Hävitetty

Everyone in this thread is probably sick of hearing me say this, but this is my favourite ever album. Good news is that the band is working hard on the new album, which apparently sounds like "icebergs crashing together". The first song is mixed and they're working hard on the other six, according to the Moonsorrow studio diary blog.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

There was a new Draugnim album last year and no-one told me? And a new A Forest of Stars too?? :argh:

Has anyone listened to either and can tell me whether they're worthwhile or not?

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

New Moonsorrow album gets 5 out of 5 from Angry Metal Guy.

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/moonsorrow-varjoina-kuljemme-kuolleiden-maassa-review/

Still so long to wait until it's released. I'm going slowly nuts here waiting for it.

In other news, the new Fen album, Epoch, is really good, and they put on a great show last night at the release party. Also seeing Melechesh tomorrow which is going to be excellent.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Cross-post from the other thread:

Don't think this has been posted yet:

New Altar of Plagues track - Feather and Bone

As a big fan of the band, I am completely delighted by this track. It continues the White Tomb themes/musical direction, but in a tighter, even more intense way. (I liked Tides, the EP that came out after WT, but didn't love it; based on this song, and the other one mentioned a few pages back, I am now officially super-excited for this album.)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

MrBling posted:

Not sure how many of you guys are familiar with Dragged into Sunlight but they're sort of a black/death'y sludgey band. Someone described them as a black metal Eyehategod but since I'm not familiar with them I don't know how apt that comparison is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqY3zdNWrZ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSbGdw6Rowk

I saw them supporting Wolves in the Throne Room and they were very good. All about the atmosphere.

Corpsed: Tell me about it! The release date has been pushed back quite a bit now, grr. Just release it already, Candlelight.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Gr31lly posted:

Anyone who'll be in/near San Antonio (or can get there easily enough) around December the 8-11th is hereby commanded to attend the Rites of Darkness fest.

Should be another 3 "pretty special" bands announced this friday... as if that lineup wasn't good enough already.

Oooh, Wodensthrone are playing. Big recommendation to anyone planning on going to see them if you can - they're brilliant.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

aliencowboy posted:

New Petrychor is pretty rad. Anyone listen to Kampfar's latest release yet?

On first listen, the new Petrychor is... um. Not as good as the Dryad EP, to my tastes. I'll give it more listens, though.

I'm going to see Kampfar (with Vreid and Secrets of the Moon) tonight and am very excited. :) They're so fun live.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

A friend linked me to German black metal band Infestus and having listened to lots of their stuff on YouTube, I am now definitely a fan.

Some songs:
Des Untergangs Untertan
Der Blick Hinaus
Down Spiral Depersonification

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

E2M2 posted:

So what Enslaved albums should I listen to to get into them? Gonna see Enslaved and Alcest next month.

The newest album, Axioma Ethica Odini, is loving amazing so you should definitely listen to it. Ruun, Isa and Vertebrae are recent albums they'll play a few songs from, also all really good. Then you should listen to their old Viking raw black metal stuff because it is brilliant.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

How are the Enslaved shows? Are they all over the place playing the old black metal with the newer, progressive stuff? Like E2M2, I am seeing them next month as well. Gonna be a odd night with Ghost --> Alcest --> Enslaved.

They stick to mostly Ruun-Isa-Vertebrae-AEO stuff, but play at least a couple of the older songs too. They are also really, really good live - goodness knows they've had a long time to perfect their live act.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Went to see a few bands last night. Fen and Primitive Graven Image were great as ever (although we had to run before the end of Fen's set to catch the last tube home :().

Discovery of the night was Rosicrucian (UK). Very Fen-influenced, and I know there are a few Fen fans lurking around this thread. Here's a video of them performing live (surprisingly good quality).

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

DEAR RICHARD posted:

How much of a joke is "The True" Mayhem these days? They're coming next week, and I might go just for novelty sake.

We went to see them last December (mainly because Anaal Nathrakh were supporting). AN had to cancel because of snow, so we waited for a couple of hours for Mayhem. Then, when they finally came on, we stayed for three songs before leaving, it was that bad. They'd had all the time in the world to do a sound check, so the appalling mix was unforgivable. Stage presence was zero, the guitars were nearly inaudible... it was dreadful all round, and a terrible waste of money.

So I suppose I'm saying, er, don't bother. :)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Fans of Agalloch/WITTR/Nechochwen/Petrychor etc should check out Waldgeflüster from Germany. Their ambient, neo-folky bits sound like Ildjarn, which is always a good thing.

Trailer for their new album, Femundsmarka.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Cold Day posted:

They've only been posted here and on blogs relentlessly for the past few months..

Yeah, I mean they're so not underground any more. What sellouts.

(Wha?)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Therion posted:

I can't stop listening to Funeral Mist's Maranatha and really want to know if there are BM bands with vocals similar to Mortuus - something powerful and agressive sounding rather than usual black metal shrieking. He just sounds so emotional (or bestial as much as I hate this word)

Having said that Marduk live are so loving boring. Or maybe I just happened to see them on a bad day :(

I've seen them a couple of times and they've been boring as poo poo. I don't think it's just us.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Drifter287 posted:

New Abigail Williams is streaming on Hails and Horns. Only a couple songs in so far but apparently they're getting in on the whole post-rock influenced black metal thing. Some pretty heavy doom influence on the 2nd track as well.

http://www.hailsandhorns.com/streaming-2/abigail-williams-interview-music-stream/

I always assumed Abigail Williams were metalcore, going by the name. Huh.

Speaking of post-rock influenced black metal, I quite like the new Alcest (but prefer Écailles de lune).

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Today I discovered the UK act Nhor, and I think some of you might like him.

Nhor - Ciwth

For fans of Nechochwen, Oskoreien, Fen, WITTR etc. Yes, it's the dreaded blackened post-rock shoegaze type thing, but hey, I like it :colbert:

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

The new Lantlôs, Agape, is heavier than the last, I think. I love .neon and I'm really enjoying Agape too.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I'm seeing Deafheaven tomorrow. I'm really excited.

Support bands are Kingdom, Hierophant, and Wrong Answer, and I've never even heard of any of them. Don't suppose any of you have either?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

amotea posted:

Saw Deafheaven last week, very good live although the set list was a bit short. Didn't care much for the other two bands.

Jesus I see what you mean. 35 minutes for a headline set - really? Really??

We caught a bit of the only support, Hierophant, and they were pretty good - very sludgey but less boring than I find most sludge bands.

The other support bands dropped out after ~major drama~. Apparently the Deafheaven drummer wore a Hate Forest t-shirt at a previous gig, and they didn't want to associate with anyone who might have Nazi sympathies. Fair enough, really.