Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

Could you guys throw out a few recommendations for... Otherworldly Black Metal?

I don't know a great deal about black metal and I'm not really into the Marduk style FULL SPEED AHEAD :black101: stuff, but the parts I like, I really like.

I'm trying to find more music like the following:

Wolves in the Throne Room - A Looming Resonance - Amazing.

Nehmah - Taken Away by the Torn Black Shroud - I really like this song. Really a lot.

Peste Noire - Dueil Angoisseus - I think this is absolutely killer too.

Alcest - L O Naissent Les Couleurs Nouvelles - Mentioning an awareness of Alcest because I guess it'll be the first thing to come to people's minds. :)

Burzum - Budstikken - I like a lot of Burzum's more atmospheric stuff, especially Dunkelheit, but Budstikken really does it for me.

Dimmu Borgir - Entrance - Not hugely into Dimmu Borgir for the most part, but this song absolutely nails the 'otherworldly' feeling that I am really into.

I am after the stuff like this that focuses the atmosphere more on the feeling of experiencing the metaphysical / strangeness / awe / horror rather than the whole suicidal depressive black metal area.

Thanks a lot for any recommendations, much appreciated! :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations!

Really, really into Midnight Odyssey, thanks a lot RHTITE. Funerals from the Astral Sphere is exactly what I've been after! Sorcier Des Glaces is also very good and I've been enjoying The Puressence of Primitive Forests.

I like Agalloch but I really am not getting into Krallice or Liturgy.

I've been looking into this and have found a couple of fantastic bands in the atmospheric black metal vein that you guys should really check out.

Addaura
Gallowbraid
Alda

Still got a lot of recommendations to go through...

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

Just dropping in with a reminder that Omega kick rear end.

:tipshat:

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

I've been going through my old Darkthrone albums a lot this week and I had forgotten how great some of the under-appreciated tracks are. Like The Claws of Time. That fuckin' riff, man. :aaa:

What under-appreciated goodies do you guys love?

Morbid Florist posted:

Taking a break from idiots in metal bands for a moment, fans of Darkspace will probably like this not-new side project one of them has called Sun Of The Blind. Still very black metal but not the chaos of Darkspace. It's a slower, kind of ambient version of Darkspace's sound but with a whispery growl for vocals rather than the shrieks.

There's no mistaking this came from a Darkspace member at all and I question if I'd like this kind of sound if it didn't have that touch of space vacuum cold to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u24qlJgseV4

Digging this, thanks for mentioning it. I love seeing the way things progress.

:black101: We have to be colder! Grimmer! Blacker!
:devil: But what's colder and grimmer than a Norwegian necromountainforest in December?!

:stare: SPAAAAAAACE.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I'd like to remind all the young ones on the black metal thread that Venom's Black Metal turned 30 today (Nov. 1st). So lay down your souls to the gods rock n' roll!!!

I was going to make this post. This album holds a special place in my heart because it got me into metal. gently caress, it got me into music. I must've heard it when I was about 15, and it totally blew my mind. It's music, but it's EVIL?! :aaa:

It feels cheesy to say, but this album really did change my life. It opened my eyes to the ability to find things out for yourself, be it in musical taste or otherwise. That you don't have to take what you're given, that you can search for what makes you happy yourself, and find it yourself.

A bit sappy for an album like this, but gently caress it. This album rules so hard. :)

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

Mortuus posted:

Does anyone know of any bands similar to newer Darkthrone? I'm referring to the material starting with F.O.A.D. I don't even know what to describe it as other than black/crust punk or something. As awesome as Circle the Wagons and Dark Thrones and Black Flags are, I can't spin just them. I need something new.

Evil rock and roll, you say?

Omega
Midnight
Barathrum
Kvelertak
Toxic Holocaust
Inepsy
Beginning of the End

:tipshat:

Swim Good posted:

Just listen to GGUW. Best release this year.

I... don't think you've heard the newer Darkthrone releases.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

Can't wait for that album. That press release does mention "every one an epic in itself", so hopefully they are indeed long songs!

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

Vintage, yet fresh. Darkthrone still loving rule. I love this new direction they're taking and can't wait for the album. I'm feeling a lot of Celtic Frost in this one.

E: NOCTURNO CULTOOUHHH!

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

It's interesting how people see black metal so differently.

I've never been much into the Marduk or Dark Funeral kind of thing. My favourite black metal songs have always been the ones where I find something beautiful behind the presented front of grimness - songs like Transilvanian Hunger, The Claws of Time, Enter the Eternal Fire, My Journey to the Stars, Withstand the Fall of Time, Mother North...

That said, as someone that enjoys shoegaze in its own right, I do agree that a lot of the way shoegaze is being injected into black metal is fairly uninspiring. However, like I'm sure people have said before, if there's no innovation we'll just be listening to nostalgic aping of A Blaze in the Northern Sky forever.

Anyway, people should post more like Taken Away by the Torn Black Shroud. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

What do you guys think of Addaura's Burning for the Ancient? I like repetitive and 'beautiful' black metal and it hits that really well for me. By beautiful I mean like Igric more than pretty/flowery like Alcest.