Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Kaiho posted:

I thought we were talking about cover art until I re-read the thread. :/

But I still want to post this as the prime example of black metal cover art

The number of copies/impersonations/ripoffs of this goes to show how well this and Live in Liepzig epitomize black metal artwork. The pure b/w Darkthrone version is my favorite for classic style artwork, though it is great to see bands using completely different types of artwork that they believe fit their music better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Excuse me, you don't just start talking about magical ponies, before you invoke that type of fantastic creature in the black metal thread you need some BESTIAL SUMMONING!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZBYQkDAHRQ

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I was trawling through metal blogs and I found out about a band called I'm In A Coffin. I'm assuming it's a joke on the whole Xasthur popularity explosion a few years ago, but I still kinda enjoy it:

This one too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEx9O9EzPFw

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Sacramentum's "Far Away From The Sun" is being re-released by Century Media.

...and remastered :negative:

...something about "improved artwork: :suicide:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Anus Dei posted:

That black metal doc has been pretty interesting so far.

On the flipside, someone at metal-archives posted this clip from a Norwegian game show wherein contestants have to write and perform a black metal song -- and they're aided by King from Gorgoroth. Also apparently Hellhammer shows up for the performance segment, but that was the point where I couldn't take it anymore, so I can't say for sure whether or not I saw him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxRRxd24kig&t=44m04s

I feel sorry for the one who got stuck wearing the "At War With Satan" shirt.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

It might look like innocent LARPing but it's actually white supremacy.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

m-o-o-n posted:

This is the best bootleg

:stare: Is there any story behind it? I've gotten some pretty bad bootlegs but that's the worst.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Oldstench posted:

I'm the guy who doesn't like WitTR. :cheers:

:cheers: I don't like any of that sort of black metal either, I don't like the overall feel that they put together, the way their songwriting stagnated and wanders always loses my attention, and it seems like they're always afraid to make good use of a melody.

I really like the split that Verge and Blood Red Fog did in 2010. Verge's side sounds like slightly psychedelic hard rock with a really rough, abrasive edge and production. It's very loose, and the keyboards do a really good job of setting a certain feeling, I'm not sure what else it could even be compared to. The band has taken a bit of a different direction since the keyboard player left but they're still really good on "Sex and Violence".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKWqYI0ylkk

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Smoking Crow posted:

God, why won't Varg just go away?

He has a very, very lengthy explanation, do you really want to hear it?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I wasn't referring to anything specific, just his long-winded rants that he publishes on burzum.org.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Religion is a choice, race is not. It's pretty amusing to hear that the guys from Arghoslent voted for Obama though, since he's a product of white society or something. There's a lot of political extremists in extreme metal, I generally avoid supporting them, but it's also a reality that there are crazy and prominent musicians who are more likely to be able to financially support the nutty causes they support, like Ted Nugent, Dave Mustaine, and Jon Schaffer.

But what's really important and black metal is that "Gelal Necrosodomy" of Grand Belial's Key sells 100 pounds of sausage each month, and while at farmers markets with his wife, they sell 900 empanadas per week plus lots of sweet Latino cookies. Oh yeah, and GBK has lots of delicious riffs and drumming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01uS-C-7woU

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 10, 2014

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Eternal Sacrifice are a great Brazilian black metal band that loves triumphant melodies and extensive, explorative song structures built around a theme. They mix prominent melodies and interplay between guitars and keyboards as well as some interesting vocals that occasional mix in some cleans, strategically placed on their albums. For short, it's epic pagan black metal, as ridiculous at that sounds. Their ability to focus on and conjure a feeling extensively and retain it throughout a long album while the music remains dynamic and interesting is astounding. It's not something shiny and polished that will blow you away with a first impression, it's actually quite raw and takes a full album listen or two to really sink in. The subtleties are stronger than the overt qualities.

Among other things, they love really, really long song titles.

http://www.metal-archives.com/album...s_Cult%29/44996

I can't find much of their stuff on YouTube, but it's worth seeking out. Here's a track from their 2010 album. I recommend listening to both albums in their entirety then checking out the demos. If you like it a bit rougher, start with the first one, if you prefer it a bit more refined, start with the second one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Q1owkyV8o

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Black metal doesn't have to be fast, black metal can be influenced by gothic rock, black metal doesn't need blast beats. The best black metal is that which wasn't of a second generation, influenced by the tremolo riffs and blast beats of Darkthrone, Mayhem, and Immortal. Those are great, they can be used well, but much black metal relies too heavily on fast-paced rhythmic monotony and is confined by a narrow range of influences who carved a subset of black metal which grew to be a large part of the style in terms of quantity, but still a narrow range in terms of style.

What I'm saying is, Forgotten Woods are the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l54LHVcUMdI

The more recent trends of shoegaze/blackgaze and depressive black metal are terrible because all of the music is terrible. I have heard countless bands and they're all terrible. This isn't philosophical, it's practical, every blackgaze/DSBM band is a complete waste of time. Every Alcest fairyland wannabe that makes mediocre, monotonous lo-fi rock with screams, every band that worships the awful crap like Xasthur that gained prominence in the 2000s, every band on Depressive Illusions Records and Self Mutilation Services - they are all a complete waste of time and I have wasted an unbelievable amount of time hearing bands that happened to be of that type.

One of the more recent bands that has captured my imagination is Verge. Some of their stuff is a more rough and dissonant take on second wave black metal without the polish of the third wave, but their split with Blood Red Fog entitled "Because It's Wrong" is fascinating. The church-organ-type keyboards often lead the music along with a shrieking vocalist, while the guitars come in more in the second half of their songs. It's sort of difficult to represent the release with one track, the best one to introduce you to it is the opener, "Spiritual Promiscuity", but that's not on YouTube, so I'll settle for this one. No, it's not fast, it has keyboards but they aren't lame/cheesy - it's an interesting take that I don't hear often. There's a feeling of 70s psychedelic hard rock being possessed and morphing into harsh black metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFwKPJUgWq4

If you have an hour of seclusion to dedicate to it, Verdunkeln crafted a different style of black metal that relies heavily on atmosphere, chanted clean vocals, and droning guitars blended with clean guitars. It's a pleasure to listen to, a complete composition that is incredibly immersive. A change from most conventions of black metal, but it's great music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wwywa44VF8

Once again on the topic of black metal - does anyone have recommendations of bands similar to Verge outside of their small Finnish scene? (Blood Red Fog, Cosmic Church, Saturnian Mist, Arvet, Charnel Winds, Pantheon of Blood) It is interesting how this scene has formed, mostly independent of the more prominent Finnish black metal scene that seems to consist of 40 bands all featuring Shatraug or Satanic Tryhard Werewolf at some point. I really like the stuff coming out of this secondary Finnish scene.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Here's a great, rough black metal demo that is mostly conventional with slower blast beats and tremolo riffs as well as some slower sections. The structure is fairly standard, and it alternates speeds, but it seems to fit perfectly into a demo of this length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIsYKnaxPDo

Monkeytime posted:

On another note, Aosoth was awesome at MDF. Unfortunately it seems that was their only US date but definitely go see them if you get a chance.

Aosoth was good, I liked Antaeus a bit better though. Vinterland were great even though their sound was completely hosed up, I love the band enough to follow it despite missing half of the guitars due to a blown amp. It seems like MDF can never have a Swedish black metal band play without issue (i.e. Unanimated cancelling last year).

Vinterland are one of the best melodic black metal bands, I love this stuff. It's a shame they'll never play the US again and only two songs sounded right, but I enjoyed it anyway. Had a nice talk with the guys too, they were just hanging out watching all the heavy metal bands on Sunday - very nice guys! They said they might record some new Vinterland material but if they did play live again, it would likely not be in Sweden or America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLw4sXFK5Fo

Morbid Florist posted:

In all fairness this cuts both ways. Insisting that something is awesome is the same as insisting it sucks.

But this is what makes metal awesome, trash talking and all of that. People get a little too sensitive when something they like is poo poo on and that ain't metal.

The best and easiest target for making fun of pathetic stuff is depressive black metal. The bedroom black metal scene is full of wonderful treasures like clowns and sub-labels that only release raw black metal/noise on floppy disk that are limited to 20 copies.

Here's your daily dose of good basement black metal. First takes, hungover drummer, bassist playing guitar and singing, both of them forgetting parts but working it out. It's the essence of metal - a couple dudes rocking the gently caress out in a rehearsal room/basement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8CVSgV9KBQ

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Morbid Florist posted:

It was worth clicking that link for this gem: "Do not mourning if natural take your property away from you" :black101:

This reminds me that the biggest disappointment of MDF was finding out that the frontman of Abigail doesn't speak in Abigail lyrics :(

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Despite whatever similarities you note between shoegaze and black metal, a true black metaller like Akhenaten never gazes at his shoes combat boots no matter how sad he looks in every picture ever.

Who-gaze? No, I gaze only into the depths of your avatar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=briNdRvPydE

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I don't care for WITTR or any sort of stuff like it, it always bored me. I also have pretty much no interest in much of the "orthodox" black metal, though it's not too stylistically consistent, I can't recall anything called "orthodox" BM that I enjoyed. I don't like DSO's later stuff, only the earliest stuff that was basically leftover Hirilorn songs. SMRC and later don't interest me, it sounds like crappy tech-death played in a black metal style. I love Hirilorn's "Legends of Evil and Eternal Death" (the band that evolved into DSO) but it seems like the creative direction changed a lot when Shaxul left and Mikko Aspa joined - I don't recall liking anything the latter has done. Two of the things that don't really satisfy me when listening to black metal are constant, mechanical blasting, and the dissonant atmosphere/production that seems to have been favored by, almost characterized a lot of French black metal of the past decade. I do love Kvist though, older black metal with the soft, mystical feel and a lot of melody is something I really enjoy.

Now that I'm done talking about things that I don't like, a couple things that I have listened to lately that I enjoyed!

This is the intro to Nattfog's only album. I love the anthemic, neo-medieval melody of it, it has a certain feeling that's almost like a 90s video game in how simplistic it is, but it has a sort of bouncing, marching feel to it. Vlad Tepes' "Wladamir's March" reminds me of it somewhat. For a full track from the album, check the related video "Nattfog - Mieleni Mustissa Merissa"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m3Fj1NuExE

Drowning the Light's output has been very inconsistent, perhaps the only band where I regularly listen to several releases but can't listen all the way through others. They seem to thrive on EPs and splits but fall short on longer releases - the twelve full lengths all have the tendency to have some good material, but run on atmosphere alone for most of the running time. The atmospheres tend to be nice, but they simply don't stretch for long periods of time with the confines of the band's style. Their strongest releases are EPs and splits - The Weeping Moon, The Fading Rays of the Sun, and the Path of the Old Lunar Cult Empire split. The band just seems to hit their stride in ~20 minutes, capturing the mood and not stretching it thin in that time. This track from a split is one of their best IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0vJ790JqO8

Torgeist are one of my favorite bands, despite their output amounting to two demos clocking in at under half an hour combined, I love both their slower, groovy old school black metal and how they put together short sets of six tracks that flow together very well as demos. Took me a while after hearing them to really get into their music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcIM1IvBBK8

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Trees and Squids posted:

I want to hear some black metal with vocals that deviate from the typical rasp and get into the high pitched forlorn screaming for your life kind of thing. I'd also prefer some clear production rather than the typical muddy poo poo. Any ideas?

I guess I'm looking for a performance similar to Ville's on Moonsorrow's Verisakeet, or like Tod Huetet Uebel off of Passion. Also, don't recommend me Silencer.

Forgotten Woods - is the type of thing you're looking for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqkMWLNrkP8

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

One night at MDF, we spent a few hours talking entirely in broken sentences formed like Abigail lyrics. I was disappointed to find out that their frontman does not speak in Abigail lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAd7W5ISyy0

I got time for some beer
I'm ready for loving drunk metal
There is no time to stop and look back
Six six six pack loving beer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH4KmGYsE3A

Who stole my beer?
I want to drink loving beer
Beer is what I need
Raise some loving hell

Black goat screaming voice
Metal holocaust attack
Iím too much drank
Puke vomit piss

Beer! Metal! Sex!
Hell loving metal!
Beer! Metal! Sex!
Hell loving metal!

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 20, 2013

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

Anyone know of some good Russian language death metal? Found Scartown recently and I need more. Doesn't have to be melodic either.

I'm a bit slow but since it's the black metal thread, check our Varhorn/Bapxxoph. I picked up their album from a cheap Ukranian distro and it's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Zl0LqraS4

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The Clit Avoider posted:

Anyone who thinks Varg agreed with Breivik and his actions should probably stop talking about him, because they're woefully under/mis-informed.

I donno man, Breivik went to church before his massacre and Varg went to church before his arsons, that's pretty damning evidence.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Two thirds of their set will be that song with lots of blast beats from that album they released six or seven times. The rest of the set is probably songs they borrowed from Dark Funeral or more recent Setherial, or maybe even old Marduk, if you're lucky you'll get an extra one or two from their first three albums in addition to the token old song from Dark Endless. Their drummer is probably going to do an homage to 1349 too, and you'll probably be lucky enough that the rest of the band is going to decide to play during his eleven minute drum solo of nothing but blasting.

So, energetic black metal without much of any sort of dynamic change within the set itself. The band has so much similar material that they're pretty much in one mode, which is good for 45-60 mins if you're into it. Hopefully the other bands aren't the same type of thing or it'll be taxing to get through the show, but good if there's some variety.

Speaking of blasty black metal bands and set dynamics, Setherial played this in the middle of their set when I saw them. They only played seven or eight songs, but it was great. I would have killed for "In the Still of the Northern Fullmoon" though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DLiEq2zIwI

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

YYZ posted:

Can anyone recommend some bands with vocals in German? Stuff like Helrunar and Lunar Aurora, or anything that sounds like Bethlehem's Dark Metal (although it's mostly in English) would be cool.

Verdunkeln's "Einblick in die Qualenfall"
Nagelfar's first two albums (The German one, NOT Naglfar)

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

While we're talking about black metal heaven something something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT-jonuW0Xs

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Also important: the crazy South American version of synthy epic black metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0t5eaaBn-4

I recommend listening to both albums and the EP between them to get a better idea of what the band is like, it's unusual enough that it's tough to offer a single song as a snapshot of what the band does.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Wear a Dissection shirt, cross your arms, and don't smile. Talk about Satan a lot and try not to laugh.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Nobody likes Blake Judd, his band sucks more than your average lovely black metal band and he has ripped off just about everyone who has worked hard to release and distribute black metal in the US. I'm sick of hearing about him, either because of his lovely band or because he ripped people off. That shirt is amusing though, perhaps they'll make a couple bucks and humiliate a loser who ripped off his friends who trusted him. I kinda wish the shirt kept one of the four classic DSP tenets of "no friends" though.

Meanwhile, have some good black metal also from DeKalb, Illinois.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Q_zOpEw8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtZg2vmbVIg

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Fermented Piss posted:

"No friends" isn't one of the four classic DSP tenets.

Oops, I was originally going to write a joke about "no trends" then decided to change it to "no friends" and didn't fully change my wording.

Please accept this melodic and somewhat epic black metal as an apology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3vVceOAY14

While the music is quite repetitive, it's very enjoyable. Sad that the band ended because they didn't like the lead/acoustic guitarist also working with a hardcore band, because what he did on this album is much better than anything their other guitarist went on to do. Three of them moved on to Deathspell Omega, who have sucked horribly since Shaxul left. Shaxul is now in a cool black/thrash band called Manzer.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Xandoom posted:

So how the hell do you pronounce Per Ohlin's middle name?

Ing-vey. Same as Yngwie.

Speaking of Yngwie, this is one of my favorite songs off of his more recent albums. His earlier stuff gets plenty of credit and his guitar wankery is legendary, but this is a solid metal song with some guitar flair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCQu8aBgc8E

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

For rare old stuff like DSP first presses, the NWN forum is probably the best place to find a lot of potential buyers.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Objectively bad black metal post, from best to worst:

The cover of "In League with Satan" found here is puzzlingly terrible and incomplete.
https://myspace.com/rancidentity

This isn't really metal but it's supposed to be some sort of depressive black metal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1CMIjqKrS8

This is just a complete failure to compose, perform, and record music in every way possible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIDfnmo4ax4

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Deathspell Omega looked at the state of black metal in 2002 and thought "you know what this needs? This needs to take itself much, much more serious."

Shaxul doesn't take himself that seriously and makes kickass black/thrash/speed instead of lovely Gorgutz 'n' Mathcore black metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFsKDJnV9Ks

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

How does Ihsahn look at that neckbeard in the morning and not want to cut his own face off?

It's got nothing on this mean-rear end mullet.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

kirkjames posted:

Can we all agree that the best Mayhem album is the "Live in Leipzig" LP with Dead singing? That recording is heavier and more insane than anything Mayhem ever recorded. I still like DMDS and Deathcrush but that live album is PUNISHING.

What? That album is terrible, sloppy and drunken. The last track is the only one where the band doesn't sound lethargic. It has none of the atmosphere of DMDS and none of the feeling of good earlier black metal like Bathory. It just sounds like a band that was tired, lethargic, and hadn't fully worked out what they were trying to do yet.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Zsa Zsa Gabor posted:

Don't know if this will interest anyone reading this topic (prolly too geeky): I've been applying some machine learning methods to black metal lyrics. One of the experiments was trying to find a correlation between lyrical themes and records labels, depicted in the graph below. The larger the circle, the higher the percentage of black metal releases by a given label that are assigned to a topic. For example, if we're looking for releases based on "Pain, Sorrow & Suffering", Depressive Illusions is the label to go to.

The only thing to go looking for with Depressive Illusions is the most consistently lovely music in the world. No artist with any amount of pride in their music would have that shitshow release 33 CD-Rs of their music.

You'll want to listen to this is you want to experience pain, sorrow, and suffering. That's about it. Look at this clown. Most of the poo poo on the label is like this.
https://myspace.com/rancidentity/music/song/in-league-with-satan-live-86880479-96328659

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Oliver Reed posted:

What black metal release is at the top of your list for 2014 so far?

Teitanblood - Death for me. Like it as much as Seven Chalices.

One Master's Live in the Castle of Quiet. Incredible, crushing production in a live tape, and a flowing track list from hypnotic, more traditional older material to chaotic, dissonant stuff by the current lineup.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Monkeytime posted:

Except he's still selling the pre-orders on his personal facebook page? He's also been selling stuff from "recently discovered big caches of Battle Kommand items" and then blocking people who ask where their stuff is. Of course the new album exists, I just don't think anyone ordering from him rather than CM should be holding their breath. But hey, I'd love to be wrong and I guess we'll find out in the next week or two.

He's been ripping people off with this same poo poo for years. Do not trust him or any "associated" ever, period.

Perhaps the most detailed log of his ripoffs is here: http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36038

Listen to Shitfucker instead, if you like basement black/speed/thrash metal. I once heard them described as "the Maximum Oversatan of the midwest." If you don't, well, gently caress yourself. http://shitfucker.bandcamp.com/album/suck-cocks-in-hell

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Uh-oh, people are offended by black metal *and* entertainment news coverage of it. Where's the line to have my t-shirt collection audited?

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 10, 2014

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Satanic Warmaster is a glam band with a Nazi fashion show on the side. While he's not ripping off Moonblood and Judas Iscariot, he spends a lot of time dressing up for photos and hanging out in front of his swastika flags and altar to Hitler.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Satanic_Warmaster/Return_of_Iron_and_Blood_-_M%C3%B4t_ch%C3%BBy%C3%AAn...chua_qu%C3%AAn/349333

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/The_True_Werwolf/35080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Post-rock band playing lovely black metal gets back to playing lovely post-rock. Big surprise there.