Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

I don't do drugs, if I want a rush I just get out of the chair when I'm not expecting it

Listened to Mayhem's "De Mysteriis..." for the first time in 8 years or so and holy poo poo, I missed it and didn't even realized that until today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

I don't do drugs, if I want a rush I just get out of the chair when I'm not expecting it

Don't know if this will interest anyone reading this topic (prolly too geeky): I've been applying some machine learning methods to black metal lyrics. One of the experiments was trying to find a correlation between lyrical themes and records labels, depicted in the graph below. The larger the circle, the higher the percentage of black metal releases by a given label that are assigned to a topic. For example, if we're looking for releases based on "Pain, Sorrow & Suffering", Depressive Illusions is the label to go to.

Click here and scroll down for the interactive chart.

Anyway, this silly hobby has helped me rediscover a bunch of albums I had forgotten about, like Carpathian Forest's "Black Shining Leather". Don't really care for their later releases, but this one is an absolute gem.

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

DroneRiff posted:

That is pretty awesome. Just from the cool display of data standpoint and getting all those numbers crunched (I know the actual work is just a little more complex than that of course). I almost want to print off the image and stick it on my desk at work.

Reminds me a little bit of the old Needle database someone had written for Metal-Archives that worked with all the data.

Thanks! This all started after reading Dayal Patterson's "Evolution of the Cult" (which is a great read, by the way). It made me realize that black metal started almost 35 years ago, spawned a bunch of sub-genres, and I wondered what sort of changes (lyrical-wise) happened during that time.

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

Zodijackylite posted:

The only thing to go looking for with Depressive Illusions is the most consistently lovely music in the world. No artist with any amount of pride in their music would have that shitshow release 33 CD-Rs of their music.

Hey, I simply ran a few text mining algorithms over the lyrics and the results came up like that, for those particular labels. It's not an opinion on their (lyrics and record labels) quality or lack thereof. I singled Depressive Illusions out as an example because a huge percentage of lyrics related to them was assigned to a particular topic.

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

Listening to the new Abigor album for the first time. Great vocals in this one, unlike in their previous two releases.

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Has anyone seen Shining live? How were they?

I saw them many moons ago, 2008 or 2009. They were very good, even though the frontman behaved like a jerk at times, but that probably added to the entertainment component of the show.

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

Killsion posted:

Any thoughts on the new Abigor, Leytmotif Luzifer? I'm liking it a lot as I listen but it feels pretty forgettable besides the last track, but drat is it a good one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMBroW-_rJs

I really like the vocals in this one, but I agree with you about it not being really memorable. I'll give it a couple more spins to see if it grows, but at this point I don't see myself listening to it as much as I would most of their past releases.

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

Polegrinder posted:

How about Gorgoroth, Carpathian Forest, and Watain. Are they worth checking out?

EDIT - Just happened to jump to page 46 (I think) and Gorgoroth and Carpathian Forest were both recommended, so I will check them out as well. I guess I should look up 90s black metal bands and just run down the list.

Carpathian Forest's "Black Shining Leather" is one of my top black metal albums of all time, killer bass. I wouldn't bother much with the rest of their discography though.

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

Listening to Mysticum's "Planet Satan" now for the first time. The cover art is awful, hope the content doesn't match it.

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

A human heart posted:

It's actually not a bad continuation from their first album(probably because it's been written for ages, just not recorded), but yeah the production isn't very good. the awful cover art is so bad that it kind of rules.

Yep, had I listened to this ~15 years ago I'd probably have loved it. Now it sounds a bit dated and not that much inspired.

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

To Battle posted:

Until the Light Takes Us is the only one worth watching in my opinion. The others are just awkward interviews that aren't done very well.

I remember enjoying that doc the first time I saw it, but after rewatching it a couple of weeks ago I don't know why I did (like it the first time, that is). The underlying idea is worth exploring (how black metal went from subversive art form to mundane trend), but the filmmakers never go below the surface and prefer to go over the whole arson & murder angle. They also waste a lot of time with pointless fait divers, like the Darkthrone dude talking to someone on the phone, Frost busy being Frost and Garm's 45 seconds of being a massive douche.

Said angle does have its appeal, of course, it's the reason why black metal went from underground movement to media phenomenon in the early 90s, but personally can't say I'm really interested in it anymore and would much rather see some focus on the music and how the whole scene evolved for the past 25 years.

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

Just listened to the new Dodheimsgard album and it sounded *really* boring, will have to give it a couple more spins and see if it's a grower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

This is... something. Doesn't he have daughters? I hope they get multiple PhD degrees.