Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I posted this on the metal thread, but realized it might belong here:

quote:

So, we interviewed Erik Danielsson, the singer of Watain. http://www.metalblast.net/2012/08/watain-interview/
He said:

quote:

“I totally encourage any kind of terrorist acts committed in the name of Watain, absolutely, that’s the way rock and roll works.”

Somehow, I don't think the Absurd t-shirt will still be an issue after this,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

nomapple posted:

Oh dear god. Musically I love Watain, I think Lawless Darkness is a great album (the other ones have their moments, but LD is the best imo). I also think that Watain are great live. It is incredibly showy, and, at the size they are now, probably the closest thing we'll ever see to "stadium black metal", but I enjoy myself every time regardless. The songs are good, the stage show is good, and the band play with conviction. Everything they do is tight as hell.

But then Erik goes and says things like this :( We get it, you've come to tear down the sun and bring chaos to the world blah blah blah but claiming that terrorist attacks in the name of Watain are A-OK is really stupid. I doubt that anyone is going to take him up on this, and commit some sort of atrocity in the name of Watain, but still, it was a totally ridiculous thing to say. I find it harder and harder to respect them.

Having interviewed him and talked with him for quite a while I can say that, in my opinion, he is not pretending. He really believes this stuff. I think that he might be delusional, not because of his faith but because of the "possessions" he has seen and his communication (I'm guess both ways) with Gods.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Morbid Florist posted:

Even if you're scared of supporting some NS band, your little $10 album purchase isn't going to put them over the top for starting the next nazi rise or anything. More than likely it's going to buy a bottle of cheap booze, so who gives a poo poo.

That's how the Beer Hall Putsch started, after Hitler's NSBM band got their big break.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

To me the amazing thing, and I mentioned it in the intro to the interview, is that Satanism gets a free pass. If you say you're a Christian people mock you, but if you say you believe in Satan as a deity, it's just "BADASS DUUUUDE!!!!".

It's the same kind of delusion, with the addition, in the case of Watain, that it seems to be a violent and dangerous ideology with no bright side.

On a side note, I'm currently arranging for an interview with Selim, from the Devil's Blood. I want to do something similar to what I did with Erik.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Groke posted:

Yeah, he's pretty much getting his rear end mocked for being his own individual idiotic self. I don't see a lot of people getting on Tom Araya's case for being a Catholic, for example; this may be because he's not an obnoxious rear end in a top hat about it.

True, but
a. IT's easier to be a satanic metalhead than a christian metalhead.
b. Watain is to Satanism what Mustaine tries to be for CHristianity

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

To Battle posted:

"Satanism is Atheism with a very dark sense of humor." - Jason Mendoca

I think that, for the most part, Satanism is used a prop, which is why I'm always amazed when I met theistic satanists.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

I've been listening to Watain's "The Wild Hunt", since I got an advance copy from the label and, boy, it's a loving great album. It does present some important changes from, e.g. Lawless Darkness, such as including a doomy-sounding song, no growling.
Last year I interviewed Erik, from Watain, and he said he encouraged terrorism.
A few weeks ago I interviewed him again, in preparation for the release of The Wild Hunt, and he said the same thing :/
In case anybody is curious: http://www.metalblast.net/2013/07/deforming-the-cord-of-life-an-interview-with-watain/ (the link to the previous one is there as well)

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Monkeytime posted:

This might be splitting hairs, but he also isn't calling for or encouraging terrorism, rather acknowledging that terrorism as an act of expression is consonant with Watain's ideals. That might be its own kind of :/ but it's a distinction worth making.

Come on dude, at least check the link (EDIT: Sorry if it sounds like I'm snapping at you. I'm not)

quote:

MB: One of the criticisms that have been thrown against heavy metal since the very beginning is that it has the potential to make people do bad things. Do you ever fear, or are you ever concerned with it, that a fan may misunderstand this stuff and, just to give you an example (not that you would actually cause this) go to a mall and start shooting people or doing any crazy poo poo like that.
Erik: That wouldn’t be a misunderstanding, that would be taking things in the very right way, and I totally encourage any kind of terrorist acts committed in the name of Watain, absolutely, that’s the way rock and roll works.

As for why it's a wrong thing, well, in most of the world openly calling for violence is a crime; it's not "I like terrorism" or "I approve terrorism", it's "I encourage terrorist acts to be committed in our name". When you consider that in Europe denying the holocaust or selling Mein Kampf has been labeled as incitement, even when no calls for violence have been made, I wouldn't be surprised if this could be used in a criminal prosecution against them. Hell, consider what happened to Varg Vikerness, who was arrested for being the kind of person who might commit a terrorist actand you'll see why comments like these are not a good idea.

I think that a big part is, without a doubt, publicity, but it seems irresponsible to go down that path. Not to mention that I can honestly see a possible liability (or at least an attempt) if something does happen, especially when you consider that much weaker cases, like Judas Priest's "subliminal messages" trial, have ended up in Court (albeit in the US).

EDIT: I suck at BBCodes

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 29, 2013

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

MrBling posted:

I'm pretty sure I could go buy a copy of Mein Kampf very easily should I so desire, since Europe isn't one monolithic entity.

The really aggressive hate speech legislation especially in regards to Nazi stuff is in Germany and Austria.

While this was not the point of my comment, I'll address it. Sure, it depends on where you live but, for example, it's illegal to sell it in The Netherlands; in Spain a guy called Pedro Varela went to prison for 2 years for selling that and a holocaust denying book in his book store. I agree, Europe is not a monolithic entity, but policies on hate speech and incitement are becoming more and more similar as the time passes, be it in law or in application.

The point, however, was not Mein Kampf but rather that European governments are not keen on anything that seems like extremism or even close to extremism (the Vikernes case being an example) and drew a parallel between prosecutions for incitement and what would happen for encouraging terrorism.

Enough nationalism derail. I think the point was clear on why it's a bad idea to openly say "I encourage terrorism"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

So earlier this month I went to Bergen, Norway. Since I was there already, I contacted God Seed's management to see if I could meet and interview Gaahl.
Even though Gaahl was going to travel the next morning to play in the UK, he was cool enough to meet with me that night at a bar. You can read our pretty drat long exchange here: http://www.metalblast.net/2013/11/unleashing-satan-an-evening-with-gaahl/

Gaahl was extremely nice; after the interview he invited me to join him, his boyfriend and his boyfriend's sister for drinks and we just shot the poo poo for a few hours. A truly surreal experience.

I hope you guys like it!