Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...
So I'm getting caught up on some black metal stuff lately. Listened to Azaghal's Omega and loved it, and I snagged Darkthrone's Frostland Tapes, which marks my first exposure to this band. Apparently, this set is all their old demo stuff and some other early stuff after that. So far, it's really impressing me! Some almost doom-ish riffs going on, horrid production values (seriously, sounds like they recorded these in their living room and/or barn, which is probably not far from the truth) that somehow add to rather than take away from the experience, and just all around badassery. Very raw, very awesome.

In looking the band up, I see early in this thread high praise for FOAD, which I will now search out. What other albums by these guys should I get? If their later stuff is as good as the early, I'm in for a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. As luck would have it, Amazon appears to have the entire Darkthrone discography in their MP3 Download service. At least it looks like it, something like 20 albums.

I snagged Soulside Journey, Goatlord, and The Cult is Alive to start with. On track #2 of Soulside right now and I'm loving it. Totally loving awesome.

EDIT: Ok, I like Goatlord as much or more perhaps than Soulside Journey.

Diseased Yak fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 2, 2008

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Had to resurrect this to say that I just snagged Vreid's latest Milorg and it is loving awesome. Anyone give it a spin yet? I'm not too familiar with Vreid, but I'll be sure and grab the rest of their stuff after hearing this.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

I'll definitely get them both and give a listen. Milorg is so good that after my first play-through I immediately started it up again.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Why didn't you fuckers tell me there was a new Absu coming out?

It's really good :)

Yes, yes it is. Listening to it right now and it's rocking my face off.

Also, the new Blut Aus Nord is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Checked out Dead to this World, and promptly bought their album off iTunes for $7.99. loving fantastic this is, thanks for the recommend Morbid. I need to find some more bands that sound like this.

So, at the risk of being ridiculed, I must admit I'm looking forward to seeing Krallice and WITTR at the first of June. I couldn't resist going, especially since I live in the backwoods of Arkansas, and the chances of seeing other bands like that coming here is slim at best. Perhaps I'll get a Wolf Shirt to wear in a dorm room somewhere, despite the fact I left college a decade or more ago.