Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.
Just for another example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsOhmN2mpHI&feature=related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reverie
May 11, 2006

creatures of mercy! shoot! shoot!
I just got one a few days ago! It's adorable and I like to carry it around and play-it's a great conversation starter. I'm anti-guitar but the ukelele is so small and I love the sound. I've been practicing my chords.

Plus, I can constantly quote this video and say "my uke" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEBMDxYDOPg

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I can't believe I am seriously thinking of buying one of these to learn on. I don't even play an instrument. I love/hate Something Awful.

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

Weird that this thread popped up now. A friend is asking for a ukelele for Christmas, and she sent me a link to this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lanikai-LU21T-Tenor-Ukulele?sku=512522

Is it a good brand? Could I be getting a better deal at that price point? Thanks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

WT Wally posted:

Weird that this thread popped up now. A friend is asking for a ukelele for Christmas, and she sent me a link to this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lanikai-LU21T-Tenor-Ukulele?sku=512522

Is it a good brand? Could I be getting a better deal at that price point? Thanks.

It's a generic assembly-line one. It could be playable or it could be a piece of crap.

northward
Feb 21, 2006

ABERDEEN ARE AWESOME
fit like
:love:moray cup:love:
:love:sheep:love:

:love:haim:love:
For anyone interested in mainstream ukulele playing, id like to point you in the way of Beirut and the Magnetic Fields

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

withak posted:

It's a generic assembly-line one. It could be playable or it could be a piece of crap.

I want to get her the best sounding ukulele I can. My budget is about $100. Portability or cuteness are not really factors, so I guess a tenor is what I should get her? What specific brands/models should I be looking at? What is a good online source for a ukulele? I really know nothing about ukulele or guitars, so I guess what I'm saying is please just tell me what to buy for a quality gift. Thanks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The best way to handle cheapo instruments like that is to go to a store and play a bunch so you can pick out a good one. It's certainly possible to find a good one for cheap, but you have an equally good or better chance of getting a piece of crap with the same logo on it if you are playing mail-order roulette.

Anyway, even a cruddy uke is going to be easier to learn on than an equally cruddy guitar. They are pretty hard to build wrong.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

WT Wally posted:

I want to get her the best sounding ukulele I can. My budget is about $100. Portability or cuteness are not really factors, so I guess a tenor is what I should get her? What specific brands/models should I be looking at? What is a good online source for a ukulele? I really know nothing about ukulele or guitars, so I guess what I'm saying is please just tell me what to buy for a quality gift. Thanks.

As TTFA said, he and I both love our $99 Kalas. Mine's not the best uke I've played, but I played about twenty in the same price range before I picked mine, and it was far and away the best of the lot.

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

mofolotopo posted:

As TTFA said, he and I both love our $99 Kalas. Mine's not the best uke I've played, but I played about twenty in the same price range before I picked mine, and it was far and away the best of the lot.

Sweet. Is there anywhere reputable online that you would recommend for buying? I googled a few sites, but most of them look a little questionable.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

WT Wally posted:

Sweet. Is there anywhere reputable online that you would recommend for buying? I googled a few sites, but most of them look a little questionable.

I hate to sound like I'm shilling for the guy, but musicguymic is a dealer on eBay. You can check both his listings and his eBay Store, and he generally has the best deals on Kalas, and is the main guy selling set-up Makalas. He's a regular poster on www.ukulelecosmos.com , so he's an actual player/participator in the community.

Agreeing with mofolotopo that Kala appears to be the best bet in the sub-$99 category. If cute/portable is not a concern, get her a tenor.

quote:

Can anyone give some general information on the baritone uke and how it compares to the others? I love lower instruments (euphonium player checking in) and I'd be interested in picking something like this up.

Baritone uke is just like a small guitar with the two bass strings removed. Tuned DGBe. They cost a little more just based on size. Not sure what the good bargain makes are, but there are several cheapies out there. I'd ask around on https://www.ukulelecosmos.com if we don't find a baritone-owning goon on this thread.

quote:

Has anyone here ever picked up one of Fleamarket Music's song books? Are they any good? I've been thinking about picking up their campfire book (along with the Fluke), what with me finally getting old and having a kid and all.

Generally, Fleamarket books are good gear. A few of the older ones on Tinpan Alley songs are a bit odder (unless you really dig that era), but the 60s, Country, Camp, Spiritual, and other books are quite good. Full melodies, chords with diagram at every chord, starting notes, etc.

My father is just starting to learn uke on a Kala tenor I got him, and he's using the Camp book. Their intro lesson book isn't particularly necessary if you're willing to look at a few online tutorials (YouTube or whatever), or have any friend who plays guitar.

The Dregs posted:

I got a bit of an odd question. I had an injury to my left hand few years ago. My pinky and ring fingers were crushed (the pinky acually was crushed off, but reattached). So now they are a bit weak and very sensitive. I tried to learn guitar, but it was just too painful. I couldn't muster up the pressure in my pinky.

Would a uke or banjo be easier for me? Is it possibe to play without your pinky finger at all?

Interesting question. Uke would be easier than banjo, due to shorter scale and (generally) less melodic work vs. chording.

Since I read your post, I went home and tried 2-finger chords. I can play all the common major chords except Bb, and most of the minor chords. I'd say you'll be slightly limited, but should have no trouble working around that limitation. That challenge might actually make it rather interesting. Might want to start on a soprano just to minimize and reach issues.

Are you familiar with Django Reinhardt, the famous Gypsy Jazz guitarist? His left ring and pinky fingers were paralyzed due to burns from a housefire, and it didn't seem to hold him back too much: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_Reinhardt

Django playing with half-paralyzed hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6nkHJQnEPs

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
I've been wanting to get a ukulele for a while now, my initial inspiration was the band Beirut, a lot of their songs have a ukulele. Here is he is solo: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IX0YLqN6hEo

Tallymark
Apr 16, 2007

Dancing on the legs of a new-born pony
Left right left right
Keep it up son
I've found my Christmas present to myself

:3:

Yes the smiley is a link

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I got really into Ukulele about 2 years ago and bought one of those $300 Martins that were available from Musician's Friend or one of the other big online music equipment retailers. It sucked and the strings were rubber or something. After making a big effort playing that ukulele and another cheap one I had, I eventually lost interest because I was dissatisfied with the all the ukuleles I came across. I knew tons of chords and could play fairly well though.

From the sound of it, it looks like all I had to do was spend $100 on one of the ukueleles you listed to get a really good playable one. drat. Maybe I'll buy a new one and give it another shot.

Weatherproof
Nov 21, 2007

Well, like an understocked herb salesman, we've run out of oregano.. sorry, time!
I've been playing guitar/bass for a couple of years (without much theory), and after reading this thread I'm just about sold on the idea of a uke.

Just one question.. If I got a guitar tab and transcribed it for the uke, would it sound as good/right? Obviously it'd mean that each string would have to have more notes on it, but I've sucessfully trascribed guitar tabs into bass ones, with minimal fidling required (as long as there aren't too many chords etc).

Thanks.

edit: Can anyone tell me the tuning for Jake Shimabukuro's ukulele when he plays Whie my guitar gently weeps? I have a tab, and am trying to test it with my geetar but it doesn't seem right on standard tuned strings (EADG). Sorry for newbie question.

Weatherproof fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 22, 2007

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Interesting question. Uke would be easier than banjo, due to shorter scale and (generally) less melodic work vs. chording.

Since I read your post, I went home and tried 2-finger chords. I can play all the common major chords except Bb, and most of the minor chords. I'd say you'll be slightly limited, but should have no trouble working around that limitation. That challenge might actually make it rather interesting. Might want to start on a soprano just to minimize and reach issues.

Are you familiar with Django Reinhardt, the famous Gypsy Jazz guitarist? His left ring and pinky fingers were paralyzed due to burns from a housefire, and it didn't seem to hold him back too much: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_Reinhardt

Django playing with half-paralyzed hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6nkHJQnEPs

Thanks for this! I can use my ring finger pretty well, I'd say it's 80%. The pinky is just there for show. Hell, I may give this a try! those videos were great.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Did Django use alternative tuning? I've always been impressed with his playing, and don't know if he tuned differently to help with certain chords/phrasings considering his physical limitations.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Does anyone have a tab for Shimabukuro's Guitar Gently Weeps? Every tab site I've seen says that he's asked that they be taken down.

I personally have a lovely 20 dollar Uke I bought from musiciansfriend, but I'd really like to learn to play it halfway decently

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Beasticly posted:

edit: Can anyone tell me the tuning for Jake Shimabukuro's ukulele when he plays Whie my guitar gently weeps? I have a tab, and am trying to test it with my geetar but it doesn't seem right on standard tuned strings (EADG). Sorry for newbie question.

Standard uke tuning is GCEA, with the G an octave higher than you expect it to be (just a whole step below the A).

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

SgtScruffy posted:

Does anyone have a tab for Shimabukuro's Guitar Gently Weeps? Every tab site I've seen says that he's asked that they be taken down.

I personally have a lovely 20 dollar Uke I bought from musiciansfriend, but I'd really like to learn to play it halfway decently

I have it in .pdf form, so I can send it to you via email or something! PM me your address?

TobeyOne
Mar 14, 2002
random idiot
Here is a tutorial of how to play Beirut's Postcards From Italy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIDVFNDbWFo

I think I want a uke now, and I also don't play any instruments!

Weatherproof
Nov 21, 2007

Well, like an understocked herb salesman, we've run out of oregano.. sorry, time!
What would be the better deal (both cost the same, give or take $5) - a Kala Concert Uke for Mahalo Tenor? Another option would to get a cheap Kala tenor from the states (I'm in Australia), but that'd be a bit extra. I'd like the best sound from the uke that I get, but I guess I can always upgrade later. Is there much of a difference between a tenor and concert uke?

mofolotopo posted:

Standard uke tuning is GCEA, with the G an octave higher than you expect it to be (just a whole step below the A).

Cheers. :)

Mike Toole
Apr 9, 2001

WE ARE GOING BACK!!
Another uke goon checking in. I'm still using a cheap Oscar Schmidt concert uke, but I love the thing and play it almost every day. I figure it's time for an upgrade, so I'll be checking those Kalas.

As for links-- I didn't notice anyone mentioning 4th Peg:
http://www.4thpeg.com/

Some of the forum banter is annoying, but there's plenty of interesting posts and songs available.

And don't forget to noodle around on YouTube for more uke stuff. I like the cheesy video lessons that Janet Klein occasionally posts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GmcEcaIxCs

(note that Ms Klein is using D tuning, so a typical GCEA-tuned uke won't be able to play along with the above lesson unless you capo the 2nd fret)

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

talleymark posted:

I've found my Christmas present to myself

http://stores.ebay.com/Musicguymics-Room

That's the guy I was talking about. If you read the descrip, you'll see why I trust the guy to know his stuff. I have not personally bought a Makala, but plan to buy one as a backup beater uke for $39. Might be a good "missionary uke" to carry around with me, so I can say "oh, you like it? $39 and I'll sell you this one right here"

musicguymic posted:

Whats different about this ukulele from other inexpensive ukuleles you ask....They are all basically built the same with the same quality finish but heres the big difference....SETUP. Every Makala beginners ukulele is taken out of the box and the original strings removed. The frets and neck are checked for straight and flat and fret dressed if neccessary. The nut is filed to correct height so the action in the open position is easy. The saddle height is adjusted to about 3/32"+ at the twelfth fret so that action is low and comfortable to play. Finally new Premium 100% flourocarbon ukulele strings are restrung on the ukulele then it is tuned up to pitch and checked. No other seller goes thru all this to make sure you have a decent playing inexpensive ukulele. Many may claim they do setup but try asking exactly what is involved and compare. Player's choice Aquila strings is optional upgrade for an additional 6.00

Beasticly posted:

Just one question.. If I got a guitar tab and transcribed it for the uke, would it sound as good/right? Obviously it'd mean that each string would have to have more notes on it, but I've sucessfully trascribed guitar tabs into bass ones, with minimal fidling required (as long as there aren't too many chords etc).

Any guitar tab you play on uke will sound the same, except one fourth higher. That is, if you're doing the bridge from Hotel California (for some ungodly reason) in key of G, it'll come out in key of C. A uke is basically a classical guitar with the two bass strings removed, capoed at the fifth fret. Hope that clears it up a little.

Beasticly posted:

What would be the better deal (both cost the same, give or take $5) - a Kala Concert Uke for Mahalo Tenor? Another option would to get a cheap Kala tenor from the states (I'm in Australia), but that'd be a bit extra. I'd like the best sound from the uke that I get, but I guess I can always upgrade later. Is there much of a difference between a tenor and concert uke?

For imports, roughly speaking:

Mahalo/Makala/Hilo < (any of those with proper settup) < Kala

Not quite sure where Washburn/Schmidt/Sammick fall on that continuum, somewhere around the middle I believe.

A concert falls between a tenor and soprano in size. Given the two options you mention, I'd go for the Kala Concert. When you get around to upgrading, you might find a good deal on an Aussie-made uke.

Note on "re-entrant" tuning.

(If this confuses you, just ignore it and play along. Basic gist: many folks tune their uke with a high string in place of the lowest bass string. This has no effect on your actual fingering of chords, it just gives it a pingier sound with a richer middle but less bass.)

Most soprano ukes, and maybe 50% of tenor ukes, come in re-entrant tuning. Re-entrant means that the string that would be the lowest bass string of the four is replaced with a small string an octave higher in pitch. This has no effect on your actual fingering of chords, but means that you get a richer high end to your chord, but less depth.

I believe a soprano body doesn't have the size to get good bass response on the G, so it's essentially always strung with a High g. Concerts almost always low G, and tenors vary depending on owner's preference. Baritone ukes usually aren't re-entrant, but some folks do put a high D string on the lowest position. On the 8-string tenor ukes, which have double strings like a mandolin, people usually put two different strings, one in each octave, on the lowest course.

(End of detailed uke geekery, back to the normal n00b questions)

Weatherproof
Nov 21, 2007

A concert falls between a tenor and soprano in size. Given the two options you mention, I'd go for the Kala Concert. When you get around to upgrading, you might find a good deal on an Aussie-made uke.

Thanks heaps for all the info, but I was thinking more sound-wise for this question. What's the difference in terms of uke sound between a concert and a tenor? You recommended getting a tenor on the first page, is this just because they are bigger and have more tone range? What I'm basically asking is if a tenor is a concert + a little bit more, or if they have different uses.

Thanks once again.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Beasticly posted:

Thanks heaps for all the info, but I was thinking more sound-wise for this question. What's the difference in terms of uke sound between a concert and a tenor? You recommended getting a tenor on the first page, is this just because they are bigger and have more tone range? What I'm basically asking is if a tenor is a concert + a little bit more, or if they have different uses.

Thanks once again.

Tenor would have a little more depth of sound, but it's not like a Concert would sound uber-lame by comparison, just not quite as full. If two models are similar price, I'd go Kala for better quality. Again, a Kala won't sound like a $600 solid-koa uke, but it's a great buy for the money.

The tenor will have a little more range due to having a longer neck with more frets, but almost nobody plays all the way down the neck anyway.

Do note that you can have too much body as well. For re-entrant tunings, I prefer the Flea over the Fluke (same mfg, different models), since the Fluke has more body than it needs for gCEa, thus I feel it sounds a little "muddy". If you play with a low G string, the extra body might be needed.

bottleofsmoke
Jan 2, 2006

all you need is love

The Dregs posted:

I got a bit of an odd question. I had an injury to my left hand few years ago. My pinky and ring fingers were crushed (the pinky acually was crushed off, but reattached). So now they are a bit weak and very sensitive. I tried to learn guitar, but it was just too painful. I couldn't muster up the pressure in my pinky.

Would a uke or banjo be easier for me? Is it possibe to play without your pinky finger at all?

I had an injury to my left hand which made me set my guitar aside for awhile. I got the urge to try plinking around on my uke but that wasn't gonna work either. But I could restring it lefty and fret chords pretty quick. It wasn't anything spectacular but then it never was before. Plinking is all I really ever did with one.

Another lefty:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwKTXyF_6B8

Benzoyl Peroxide
Jun 6, 2007

[C6H5C(O)]2O2

Phayray posted:

Can anyone give some general information on the baritone uke and how it compares to the others? I love lower instruments (euphonium player checking in) and I'd be interested in picking something like this up.

Hey, yeah. In addition to a couple of years of guitar I've played soprano and concert for a few months each too. While I liked the idea of them and the sound they made my fingers are seriously just too large for the frets. So a few weeks ago I picked up a pretty cheap baritone Mahalo for £50.

The main differences as have already been pointed out are the different tunings, the fact that baritone is much larger, blah blah. Really, that's it. The bottom strings (D and G) on mine are metal whereas the top two are nylon. In terms of sound you're getting something that's a mixture between guitar and smaller ukes. Physically I enjoy the baritone more because it's a bit more substantial to hold, but that's personal preference.

For anyone interested in how a baritone sounds in standard tuning here's a simple version of Tom Waits' song "Better Off Without A Wife" that I recorded a couple of weeks ago nice and quick.

Archr5
Sep 26, 2003

Trying desperately to be popular since 1982.
for anyone who is starting out and having trouble tuning, or finding a decent chord chart check these out.

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/e-tuner/

and for chords I use
http://www.alligatorboogaloo.com/uke/chords/index.html

I'm mainly focusing on practicing chord changes smoothly through all the majors.

I think I'm retarded though because i can't manage to get good sound on barred chords (this happens on the uke or the guitar... so I'm pretty sure i'm doing something wrong)

I lucked out and picked up a great sounding Hilo soprano uke at Guitar Center for $30 I immediately tossed some Martin strings on it and it sounds great.

Corsair Canard
Aug 18, 2004

Let's croak us some Toads!
As soon as I get back home from my Thanksgiving trip I'm going to buy an uke and you bastards are all to blame.

I was thinking either soprano or concert, which would you suggest?

I've messed around with guitars a bit, but I travel a lot and I can't always find room to cram my guitar into the car, which sucks. I also have fairly small short fingers so playing the low E is a bit of a stretch and it's tough to play certain chords, which is funny because I played bass clarinet for years and never had a problem.

Thanks for giving me another reason to waste my time! Any other tips would be appreciated.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Corsair Canard posted:

As soon as I get back home from my Thanksgiving trip I'm going to buy an uke and you bastards are all to blame.

I was thinking either soprano or concert, which would you suggest?

I've messed around with guitars a bit, but I travel a lot and I can't always find room to cram my guitar into the car, which sucks. I also have fairly small short fingers so playing the low E is a bit of a stretch and it's tough to play certain chords, which is funny because I played bass clarinet for years and never had a problem.

Thanks for giving me another reason to waste my time! Any other tips would be appreciated.

Score! If you want max smallness and are okay with re-entrant tuning, get a soprano. If you want to have a bass on the lowest string, get a concert. Neither is really a "bad" answer, so long as you buy a semi-decent ($40+) one as discussed above.

If you want an actual chordbook, Roy Sakuma's is the best I've seen, and quite cheap.

A basic ukulele pitchpipe (like a harmonica with just the four notes you need to tune the uke to) is also useful to have, especially if you're not used to tuning instruments. Electronic tuners aren't bad either, but I wouldn't get one just for your uke unless you really feel like spending $25, or are truly baffled by even a pitchpipe. If you have lots of string instruments, you probably have an electric tuner already (though I've owned over a hundred string instruments, and never owned an e-tuner).

Re: learning uke songs

The books made specifically for uke are good for beginners, solely because they have diagrams of each chord as you follow the song along. Once you're beyond the basic point of knowing the standard chords, just get your chords online like all the guitarists do.

For example, if I google up "Earth Angel chords", I'll get some .txt file that tells me to play G-Em-C-D in succession, and I can do that on uke just as easily as on guitar. It's a little different for tablature, but only in that you can't play the lowest stuff, and that if you follow the guitar fingerings shown, you'll be playing a 4th higher.

For those inclined, you can play tons of doo-wop songs with G-Em-C-D. Earth Angel, Last Kiss, Duke of Earl jump to mind. Also "Butterfly" by Weezer.

While everyone's here, this is a neat track showing just some basic pop-music with simple strumming on the uke. Neat cover of "Hey There Delilah" by a Guamanian kid. Note that he also has a 9-minute tutorial where he explains how to play these chords in excruciating, painfully excessive detail. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7bsfRal38Q

Another great cover, this one of the Jackson 5 ("Baby I Want You Back"): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_0zA-FnmDM

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Score! If you want max smallness and are okay with re-entrant tuning, get a soprano. If you want to have a bass on the lowest string, get a concert.

You know, all of the concerts I played in guitar shops had the re-entrant tuning, and that's how I string mine. To me, that's one of the main appeals of having a uke - fingerpicking with re-entrant tuning yields drastically different results.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(
I'm glad to see this thread! Last week I purchased myself a ukulele, as I couldn't travel with my 12-string guitar. When I'm bored or stressed, I like to pick up my guitar, but as I'm living in a staff house, I elected to go for something smaller and not as loud. So a ukulele it is!

So now just to learn the notes and chords!

LuckyDaemon
Jan 14, 2006

Lower your standards.
This means dating fat girls because you can't do better.
Ukuleles are awesome. Any guy who can work one will be a hit with the ladies. Give me a guy with a mellow voice and some mad uke skills and I'll go weak in the knees.

I can only imagine on the mainland where ukuleles are rare, this effect is magnified.

I so want to learn because my hands are too small to comfortably play guitar, but money is tight right now. I tried to buy a $6 one from the ABC store to just play around with, but the piece of crap was impossible to tune. My fault, I'm sure.

DonkeyChips
Sep 11, 2001

by Lowtax
I've been picking guitar back up after a very long hiatus. Now I want a ukulele to gently caress around on when I'm not cooped up in my room or feel like taking a break from self-reteaching.

nef
Feb 21, 2005

Grrr grrrrrrr
My boyfriend is a music geek, he's really drat good at the guitar, owns four of them and a bass.
I've been wanting to get him a ukelele for his birthday, but am afraid to choose one due to his pickyness about music... I don't know much about music-making myself.
I want to keep this a surprise, so I can't ask him which one he'd like. Any suggestions? Maybe something that will fit in nicely with his collection?

Please bear in mind that I am a poor college student, so my budget will be about $100 :)

Benzoyl Peroxide
Jun 6, 2007

[C6H5C(O)]2O2

nef posted:

My boyfriend is a music geek, he's really drat good at the guitar, owns four of them and a bass.
I've been wanting to get him a ukelele for his birthday, but am afraid to choose one due to his pickyness about music... I don't know much about music-making myself.
I want to keep this a surprise, so I can't ask him which one he'd like. Any suggestions? Maybe something that will fit in nicely with his collection?

Please bear in mind that I am a poor college student, so my budget will be about $100 :)

I know I already posted about liking baritone uke (the biggest) best, but if he has four guitars and a bass he'd probably appreciate a baritone. It's the most guitar-like. But you never know! Sopranos (the smallest) sound more fun, so he may be in to that. Do you know what sort of thing he likes to play on guitar?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

nef posted:

I'm going to go the opposite direction from Benzoyl and suggest a soprano uke. A soprano would be the most distinct from his current items. He could use the exact same fingerings that he knows know, just he'll be transposed a key.

Sopranos are also less expensive due to material costs, so I'd vote for a Kala soprano uke. Should be about $59 plus shipping. Check around on Google and on eBay, but probably the best bet is Mic, as I've mentioned at various points in this thread. You can look him up on eBay as musicguymic.

Here's one for $59, with settup and gigbag, and free Priority shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Kala-...1QQcmdZViewItem

If this one goes, just email him directly and see if he'll match that deal. I've got his email in my inbox somewhere if you need it. As repeatedly stated, I have no business ties to Mic, I'm just honestly pleased with his service, and am open to any other dealer recommendations on this thread.

LuckyDaemon posted:

Ukuleles are awesome. Any guy who can work one will be a hit with the ladies. Give me a guy with a mellow voice and some mad uke skills and I'll go weak in the knees.

(Checks LD's profile pic) Hmmm...

Here's me, doing anything for you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDdfQk4o7E4

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 25, 2007

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

Benzoyl Peroxide posted:

Hey, yeah. In addition to a couple of years of guitar I've played soprano and concert for a few months each too. While I liked the idea of them and the sound they made my fingers are seriously just too large for the frets. So a few weeks ago I picked up a pretty cheap baritone Mahalo for £50.

The main differences as have already been pointed out are the different tunings, the fact that baritone is much larger, blah blah. Really, that's it. The bottom strings (D and G) on mine are metal whereas the top two are nylon. In terms of sound you're getting something that's a mixture between guitar and smaller ukes. Physically I enjoy the baritone more because it's a bit more substantial to hold, but that's personal preference.

For anyone interested in how a baritone sounds in standard tuning here's a simple version of Tom Waits' song "Better Off Without A Wife" that I recorded a couple of weeks ago nice and quick.

Wow, that sounds awesome. I know what I'm going to be asking for for Christmas! Any suggestions on a specific baritone uke to get, maybe around $50?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

(Checks LD's profile pic) Hmmm...

Here's me, doing anything for you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDdfQk4o7E4

Ahahahahahaha I hope that one day you can achieve the wonderfully twee romance you desire. That's kind of cute.

I'm in a multipurpose band and use the ukulele to start the riffs of a lot of our songs. The one I have is a really cheapo Johnson soprano that I picked up at a garage sale, but it works pretty well. I'd love to get one with better sound quality once I have the money for it. To me, the most fun part of having a uke is being able to cover death metal songs in an overload of droll madness. And yes, the ladies love it... but the dudes, not so much :(

• Locked thread