Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
23 Flavors
Sep 13, 2011

what a talentless looking goon

Anyone got any tips for someone with stupid fingers? I can't seem to position my fingers properly so that there is no "twang" and it ends up making things sound off. It might just be the uke but I'd sooner blame myself than poor craftsmanship. I should mention that I also have small hands so it's not that my fingers are too big or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

23 Flavors
Sep 13, 2011

Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could give me some feedback on a potential ukulele purchase. I'm pretty new to ukes so please bear with me if you can!

Right now I just own a Soprano Kala, and something about the sound just isn't sitting right with me. There's a lot of "buzzing" and the tone just doesn't sound super great to me, so I've been considering purchasing a higher quality ukulele.

Right now I am considering between the Pono Mango Soprano and the Mahogonay Soprano. I really like the sound and look of this mango soprano a lot, but I've read that mango wood can sometimes be inconsistent. If anyone has any experience with mango ukes or Pono in general I would love to hear your advice!

Also, I live in the balmy state of Minnesota, so if anyone has any tips for caring for ukuleles in cold weather environments I would appreciate that too!

23 Flavors
Sep 13, 2011

Thanks for the advice! I can't seem to find any consistent opinions on mango wood, and from the looks of it the sound seems to very a lot depending on the quality of wood. The one I was looking at seems to be a fairly straight grain, which I think gives it a better sound but I guess it's probably not worth taking the risk. I've mostly been looking at sopranos, but it seems like a lot of people suggest going up to at least a concert size. Do you have any opinions on the best size for a uke? I think a tenor would be too large, since I really want mine to retain that typical uke sound, but it seems to me that a lot more people are playing concerts than soprano.

• Locked thread