Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
Apologies if this has already been asked, but I'm looking for a good beginner How to Play Uke type book. However, I'm not really looking for a songbook-more about technique, like basic strumming, right hand/left hand techniques, finger picking, styles, etc. any suggestions or recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Anybody know anything about the Kala Ukadelic line of Soprano Ukuleles?

http://www.kalabrand.com/Models/Makala/Ukadelic/UkadelicDetailsPage.html

I really dig the look of that USA/'Murica model uke, but I have not heard anything about the playability, quality, etc. of this line.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

I guess no one has a ukadelic...

On an separate note, for ukes with a wooden fretboard, is there anything I should be putting on the fretboard to maintain the wood (like an oil, cream, or other product?).

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

The Dregs posted:

I bought one for my daughter...the whole family got a ukulele because of this thread. I got a Hulala, most of the kids got Dolphins, the wife got a Makala. Also someone gave us a free Kala Kiwi.

No one likes the Ukedelic. It is a bit older model, the leopard print. It just sounds bad. Everyone agrees that my little 85 dollar Hulala sounds the best and just feels right. The Kiwi is pretty popular too, it doesn't sound as nice, but it looks awesome.

(My wife runs a day care, so these things get played with a lot)

This is the Hulala, I love it so much, even if all I do with it is play Adventure Time for the kids.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/HULALA-2.htm

Thanks! This was my fear. I have 2 Pono tenors, so I wasn't looking for a cheap beginner uke, I just really like the look of the USA model ukadelic. If just screams 'Murica so hard, I was hoping it sounded and played well. However the consensus seems to that it does not.

Also thanks to the goo. Who recommend fretboard oil. Just ordered some for my ukes and banjos.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

23 Flavors posted:

Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could give me some feedback on a potential ukulele purchase. I'm pretty new to ukes so please bear with me if you can!

Right now I just own a Soprano Kala, and something about the sound just isn't sitting right with me. There's a lot of "buzzing" and the tone just doesn't sound super great to me, so I've been considering purchasing a higher quality ukulele.

Right now I am considering between the Pono Mango Soprano and the Mahogonay Soprano. I really like the sound and look of this mango soprano a lot, but I've read that mango wood can sometimes be inconsistent. If anyone has any experience with mango ukes or Pono in general I would love to hear your advice!

Also, I live in the balmy state of Minnesota, so if anyone has any tips for caring for ukuleles in cold weather environments I would appreciate that too!

I have 2 Pono tenors: mahogany and acacia. They are both awesome, play great and sound great. I don't have experience with mango, but I'd rec mahogany. Buy it from somewhere that will do setup-that's my only caveat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

He is responsible for its recent popularity online, per a lot of the old clawhammer players BHO there was apparently a good deal of technique borrowing and exchange between uke and banjo players since way back in the old days. I thought it was pretty neat to hear about clawhammer banjo player who incorporated some of the uke strums and fans into their banjo playing.

• Locked thread