Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
Can anyone give some general information on the baritone uke and how it compares to the others? I love lower instruments (euphonium player checking in) and I'd be interested in picking something like this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

Benzoyl Peroxide posted:

Hey, yeah. In addition to a couple of years of guitar I've played soprano and concert for a few months each too. While I liked the idea of them and the sound they made my fingers are seriously just too large for the frets. So a few weeks ago I picked up a pretty cheap baritone Mahalo for £50.

The main differences as have already been pointed out are the different tunings, the fact that baritone is much larger, blah blah. Really, that's it. The bottom strings (D and G) on mine are metal whereas the top two are nylon. In terms of sound you're getting something that's a mixture between guitar and smaller ukes. Physically I enjoy the baritone more because it's a bit more substantial to hold, but that's personal preference.

For anyone interested in how a baritone sounds in standard tuning here's a simple version of Tom Waits' song "Better Off Without A Wife" that I recorded a couple of weeks ago nice and quick.

Wow, that sounds awesome. I know what I'm going to be asking for for Christmas! Any suggestions on a specific baritone uke to get, maybe around $50?

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
I got a Kala tenor from musicguymic on ebay and I love it. I did the beginner's tutorial that Zaasakokwaan linked. I really liked the way they even indicated where to put which fingers when making a chord. A lot of the other chord sites I've been to don't have this - are there any, more extensive chord sites that have this feature? Also Tap, if you could put a list of really good tutorial links and stuff in the OP, that'd be incredibly helpful (though that might be a bit of work) to the learning process of probably not just me, but other people who picked it up because of this thread as well. Thanks!

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
I don't think this has been pointed out yet, but I found some pretty neat tips for uke here. It definitely answered my question about strumming, though you have to make an account (takes two seconds).

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
Is anyone capable of transposing, or kind of giving me a rundown of how to transpose, guitar tabs? I don't really know how to read them, though I was in band for like 8 years and I've taken music theory. I guess it's not so much the transposition as it is just reading the tabs. I'm interesting in learning to play Arco Arena by Cake - I think it'd be a fun way to learn to finger pick. Thanks!

• Locked thread