Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
My outdoor ukulele came in today. It has a lot more of a robust feel to it than I expected, like you could really toss this thing around. Not sure if I got the aquila strings they're putting on them now or not. Can't attest to a good sound or not because the strings go instantly out of tune of course since they're brand new. I got the upgraded pegs and they look great on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
So ten days later I'm still not impressed by the sound of the outdoor uke, probably because I'm new to the soprano size and I love my concert. The sound is both deep and hollow, if that makes sense, and my A string can sound very tinny. I definitely feel like the sound is something that would change considerably with different strings, and I'm planning on experimenting with different sets until I find some I like.

This guy has a pretty decent review of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-ZgkTVFkVw
along with using different strings than the stock, and he mentions how he has to finesse it a little differently to get good sound out of it.

I'm not a good uke player by any means, so take my words with a grain of salt. I don't want to dissuade anyone from picking one up, I just recommend listening to the few videos out there about the OU before you make a decision. Personally I like that I can just throw this in a suitcase when I travel and not worry about it.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
How can you hold out on us with a story like that and no pictures? :(

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Can someone recommend me strings other than Aquila for my Outdoor Uke Soprano? I love the Aquilas on my Makala but they don't sound good on the already hollow noise of the outdoor uke, so I'd like to try something else.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

furushotakeru posted:

You might like the D'addario Titanium strings, assuming you don't mind fluorocarbon strings.

I tried these strings and they make the Outdoor Uke sound much better, thanks for the recommendation!

• Locked thread