Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
I've been wanting to get a ukulele for a while now, my initial inspiration was the band Beirut, a lot of their songs have a ukulele. Here is he is solo: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IX0YLqN6hEo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
I ordered a Kala from musicguy on ebay and I've been playing around with today. Thanks for the suggestion, I've wanted a ukulele for awhile but had no idea what would be a good buy. It's pretty fun; I've been playing guitar for awhile but sort of got stuck and haven't gotten any better in a long time, it's a nice change.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

USMC_Karl posted:

I can't really do those right. Maybe it's just my small hands (I have freakishly small hands for a guy that is 5'11) but I can never get the sound correct. I can't hold each individual string down and still reach the A fret I need, and I can't seem to lay down my finger overthe fret board and hold all the strings down on the 2/5 fret. Any pointers? I tried looking on youtube and can't seem to find a good view of how people are hitting those chords. Thanks!
Practice, pretty much. For those chords you're going to need to barre it, which means holding down all the strings on the 2nd fret with one finger and then reach to the 5th fret with another finger, probably your pinky. You should probably try practicing putting all your fingers across the fret before adding in the pinky part. And I doubt it's your hands, I probably have smaller hands than you :) I also play guitar so I've had more practice; barre chords are a bitch on the guitar and the size of my hands makes it even harder. Hooray for the ukulele.

• Locked thread