Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
I resurrected an old iPod Classic 120 GB I have and flashed the latest emCORE and RockBox versions to give it a shot.

Guess what? A boot loop when the file database updates? I kinda wanted broader codec support but I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Besides Apple (who is currently out of stock), does anyone have recommendations on where you can buy refurbished iPod nanos? Looking for a 7th gen and was hoping to not pay full retail.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
Gamestop, Disc Replay, I know have them. Also, since a bunch of people with 1st Gen Nanos got 6th Gen ones in a recall, it might be easier to find a nice, barely used 6th Gen on the cheap.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Quinctia posted:

Gamestop, Disc Replay, I know have them. Also, since a bunch of people with 1st Gen Nanos got 6th Gen ones in a recall, it might be easier to find a nice, barely used 6th Gen on the cheap.

Thanks for the tips. I hadn't considered Gamestop and their prices are decent enough. I just got lucky and was able to get a Manufactured refurbished one off eBay for a little less. Was going for the 7th gen for the Bluetooth functionality (it's a gift). I was actually one of those who got a 6th gen after that recall and love it!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
On the topic of iPod Classic replacements..

It looks like iPod Classic 160GB models are selling for quite a handy price on the used market so I've decided to see if I can sell my 7yr old 6th generation and replace it with a cheap, but decent Android prepaid phone (I have both a Sharp Aquos Crystal and Moto E on the way to try out) with a 128GB MicroSD card. The loss of 32GB of space and hardware buttons will be lame, but I have WiFi at work and can use Plex. Maybe someone will come out with a reasonably priced 256GB MicroSD card one of these days.

Those Fiio X1/X3 players look really nice and reasonably priced, I just wish they'd gone with full sized SD card slots instead of micro. You can get 256GB SD cards for under $100.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

On the topic of iPod Classic replacements..

It looks like iPod Classic 160GB models are selling for quite a handy price on the used market so I've decided to see if I can sell my 7yr old 6th generation and replace it with a cheap, but decent Android prepaid phone (I have both a Sharp Aquos Crystal and Moto E on the way to try out) with a 128GB MicroSD card. The loss of 32GB of space and hardware buttons will be lame, but I have WiFi at work and can use Plex. Maybe someone will come out with a reasonably priced 256GB MicroSD card one of these days.

Those Fiio X1/X3 players look really nice and reasonably priced, I just wish they'd gone with full sized SD card slots instead of micro. You can get 256GB SD cards for under $100.

They sell adapters, but I haven't used one.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Mooktastical posted:

They sell adapters, but I haven't used one.

Holy poo poo! I had looked multiple times without luck, but I finally found a couple on eBay. I already have a 128GB MicroSD card in the mail, otherwise I'd be tempted to try this. Probably a nightmare to try to fit in a backplate of a phone though.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Holy poo poo! I had looked multiple times without luck, but I finally found a couple on eBay. I already have a 128GB MicroSD card in the mail, otherwise I'd be tempted to try this. Probably a nightmare to try to fit in a backplate of a phone though.

This would work best in something with a user replaceable battery. Extended batteries come with their own backplates, thus allowing extra room for the sd card converter.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
God drat it.

I just had my ipod 160GB stolen last month and I've been really missing it. Now I come to find out too late that you cant get it anywhere unless you pay an arm and a leg.

/me begins to saw off arm and leg. Also gently caress that guy for stealing my glasses too.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
My brother gave me his iPod Touch 5th Gen (with 32 GB) after he bought the new iPhone, but having two annoying issues. Whenever I sync it will randomly give me a error -54 but can't figure out what doing this as I completely restored the iPod and it was still giving me this error. Also noticing the "other data" will not go away no matter how many times I restore, with 1.24 GB being wasted.

Also for some reason the itunes store believes I don't have anything purchased on the music side, yet it shows my videos and apps elsewhere.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 6, 2015

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I didn't see this mentioned over the last few pages but it seems to be a well-known issue: I've got the thing where occasionally, maybe once a month or so, syncing my 5th gen iPod touch with iTunes gets stuck on the "waiting for changes to be applied" stage for an inordinately long time. If I have the time to let it run, it will eventually end but it might take 20 minutes, might take two hours. This isn't about it taking a long time to copy a music library; I'm talking about a routine sync where basically nothing has changed except maybe a handful of podcast episodes. If I interrupt it (even with the "x" button and then ejecting, not just unplugging), there's a good chance my library gets corrupted and some/all of my music and podcasts will be unavailable until I let it sync completely and recopy everything. Really annoying, since syncing is often the last thing I do before I intend to step out the door and I don't have time to let it run as long as it decides to.

It's happened with both iOS 7 and 8. I nuked my iTunes library on the PC as best I could, reset the iPod and restored everything from scratch, and that seemed to fix it for a month or two. I'm not doing anything unorthodox with it, no third-party programs to sync music or anything like that. Google turns up a lot of people with the problem across various devices but the only solutions offered are the kind that sound coincidental and don't work for me. Anyone beaten this?

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I didn't see this mentioned over the last few pages but it seems to be a well-known issue: I've got the thing where occasionally, maybe once a month or so, syncing my 5th gen iPod touch with iTunes gets stuck on the "waiting for changes to be applied" stage for an inordinately long time. If I have the time to let it run, it will eventually end but it might take 20 minutes, might take two hours. This isn't about it taking a long time to copy a music library; I'm talking about a routine sync where basically nothing has changed except maybe a handful of podcast episodes. If I interrupt it (even with the "x" button and then ejecting, not just unplugging), there's a good chance my library gets corrupted and some/all of my music and podcasts will be unavailable until I let it sync completely and recopy everything. Really annoying, since syncing is often the last thing I do before I intend to step out the door and I don't have time to let it run as long as it decides to.

It's happened with both iOS 7 and 8. I nuked my iTunes library on the PC as best I could, reset the iPod and restored everything from scratch, and that seemed to fix it for a month or two. I'm not doing anything unorthodox with it, no third-party programs to sync music or anything like that. Google turns up a lot of people with the problem across various devices but the only solutions offered are the kind that sound coincidental and don't work for me. Anyone beaten this?

This happens to my 5th gen iPod touch too and has with both iOS 7 and 8, just with iTunes on OSX instead of Windows. It'll take hours to put a single album on mine, so I usually put it off for months and I just factory reset the whole device and re-sync everything.
I have noticed sometimes when I'm trying to sync, it reports there's over 100GB in use. Since it's a 64GB device, I suspect it may be something related to that, but I don't even know.

I pretty much gave up since it looks like you've also noticed like a thousand other people have the same issue.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
I'm suddenly glad my only issues with syncing are missing album art and my podcasts deleting themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I've been messing with my iPod Video (aka gen 5) since the discontinuation of the Classic devices. New battery, screen, faceplate, and an attempt to upgrade from 30 GB to a 250 GB SSD.

I wasn't able to get a Samsung Evo 840 to work. I formatted to os x journaled, FAT, I used disk mode, I tried hot-swapping. The thing would just hang and "sad-ipod face" on boot whenever the SSD was connected.

I'm going to try a 64 GB CF next but I'd really like to get huge drive in there. If anybody has done this recently, I'd like to know what model SSD and adapter you used. Head-Fi seems to be a popular forum for this topic but all their threads on the topic are way-long and out of date, and posters there are so full of poo poo that you can't really trust a recommendation anyway.

Also if you're desperate to have an ipod classic, I've learned that you can really easily build one out of spare or cannibalized parts for much less than retail. All you need is a tiny phillips-head screwdriver.

• Locked thread