Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Bung Harmer posted:

It can't hurt to take it to an Apple Store and see if they'll repair it. There's stories on here of Apple repairing stuff for free that they really shouldn't have.

Yes. Or sometimes for a nominal fee they will replace the whole thing. My brother got his iPod replaced with a newer unit with 4 times as much storage for $50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

e: Okay, the original post was needlessly dramatic. Basically though iTunes keeps crashing and none of the popular alternatives seem to recognize my iPod.

Is there a way to add music without creating a backup? Or an alternative program that actually works with the latest model iPod and/or iOS 7?

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 31, 2014

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
I've got Find my iPhone enabled on my kids iPod's. Problem is after like 5 minutes being off wifi shuts down and I cant locate them anymore. Is there something I can do to make them check in every 15 minutes or something?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My iPod Touch 5th gen erased my nearly 60gb of music and I have no idea how or why. I was manually adding some tracks through iTunes this afternoon and when I went to edit the metadata for one of them it was all greyed out and un-editable. Tried to edit a different track and same thing. I thought huh, oh well, I'll do it later. So I go to work and try to play music and it says I have no content available to play. I start freaking out but think, ok, there has to be some sort of mistake. Except when I went to my settings it said I had 55gb of 57gb available, which means it has in fact all been erased.

Stupidly I updated to the latest firmware hoping against hope this would fix the problem, and now about 19gb of music is appearing on my iPod, but it's all unplayable. If I try to play a song, it just immediately cycles to the next song, which immediately cycles to the next song, and on and on. I just got home and plugged in my iPod and for a brief moment, iTunes showed my entire old library as still being on my iPod, but then it finished applying updates and it showed the new reduced library (19gb/2400 songs). So effectively all of my music has been erased from the device, but I still have an unplayable list of about 33% of it.

I manually managed everything, so I don't have a backup of all my music stored on my hard drive or the cloud. I know that I am basically hosed in that regard. But my question is whether there's any way to at least retrieve a list of all the music I had on my iPod, so I can at least use it as a reference to start restoring everything. I realize the answer is most likely no, but if there's any chance at all, even if it means breaking open the device with a hammer, I'd like to know. Thanks guys.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I hate to be that guy, but I am. Why don't you keep the music on your computer in iTunes, and just let the iPod sync from the iTunes library? Then you could make the changes in the library, and then plug in the device to sync it.

I don't know how to fix your problem, but that would essentially be a backup to prevent it from happening again.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I suppose I should have clarified - does anyone have a solution that doesn't require a time machine for me to implement?

I'm aware what I did was unorthodox, but now it is what it is. Thanks.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Does Windows show 57gb or however much it is now free?

Sharepod is designed to rip from an ipod. It's a pretty big longshot given how much free space it shows, making me think everything got deleted, but who knows. Maybe it's still all on there but iTunes is too stupid to see it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm borrowing my roommate's iPod Touch 8GB 2nd gen. I want to put a playlist on it of songs in a certain order, do I need to install iTunes to do this? I don't want to wipe out anything she's got. Bear in mind I'm beginner level in Apple world.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I'm borrowing my roommate's iPod Touch 8GB 2nd gen. I want to put a playlist on it of songs in a certain order, do I need to install iTunes to do this? I don't want to wipe out anything she's got. Bear in mind I'm beginner level in Apple world.

iTunes won't let you do this. It's something they put on iPods so that you can just plug it into every computer and take the music from them. Likely so that the RIAA doesn't try to sue them for file sharing.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

drat. Is there any workaround, or alternative to iTunes?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Wilford Cutlery posted:

drat. Is there any workaround, or alternative to iTunes?

Technically, yes, but practically, no. A touch 2g's old enough that some third-party software will access it, but probably only with some drivers and services that are installed with itunes in the first place.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Try http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I've currently got 2 problems with my iPod nano, first I recently got a mac laptop from my lab and would like to transfer the music from my iPod to the computer. I know iTunes won't let me and I'd have to use a third party program and I was wondering if there was any consensus about which of those was "the best" (tm).I've tried to simply use homesharing between my home PC and work Mac but the PC does not show up on the mac (even though it works the other way :shrug:).

The second problem I have is that over the last few weeks my iPod seems to get rejected more and more when I plug it in, it just ejects itself almost instantaneously and sometimes iTunes tells me it did not recognize the iPod. I just keep plugging it in and out and it usually works after a couple of times. Is this a bad thing that will only get worse as time goes on ?

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I've had to replace my iPod (twice!) in the last month because the audio jack stopped detecting any headphones or cables plugged into it and would only play audio through the speakers.

Two questions:

Is this a common problem with this model? It's a 32 GB iPod touch.

OR

Is my car's AUX cable possibly loving up the jack? My husband's iPhone doesn't have this problem.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
I'd try replacing the cable. I can't say I've had that problem with mine, same capacity 5gen bought right after they launched. Although I've plugged various headphones into it, they've only been headphones. But that's multiple connectors plugged into the jack over time.

Also, between the car and whereever else you use it, is there a chance that the jack itself could be getting really dirty and/or plugged?

Where is the iPod in the car when it's plugged in? Is there a chance that it could be dangling from the cable and causing unusual stress to the jack?

I use an iPod in my car, but it's a Nano hooked up via a USB cable. My headunit had a rear USB input, so I've got the cable fished into the glove compartment...which keeps the iPod itself relatively secure while I'm driving.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
They've tried cleaning both iPods at the store with no success. The jack fails to detect headphones or my car's audio cable. Usually the iPod sits on my passenger seat or the cupholder so it's not dangling.

I might just be really unlucky since the same thing happened with my replacement iPod within 15 days of buying it.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
I still have a first generation Ipod shuffle that I use when running. Is there something anyone has made in the nine years the thing has been around that is better than Itunes for getting music on and off of it?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple just announced the new iPod Touch 5th Generation models now on sale.

16 GB - $199
32 GB - $249
64 GB - $299

Old features-

Still A5 based (cough), same 4 inch screen, same cheesy colors, still the same headphone jack for you rumor believers (some people thought Apple was going to kill the standard headphone jack and replace it with some Lightning based variant)

New features-

• 5 megapixel backside iSight camera
• LED flash
• Loop mount button to hold strap

Comes with iOS 7 pre-installed, will be iOS 8 compatible

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
it's like apple wants to kill off the touch but figured some people would be mad so they're just going to make it such an inferior product that no one will buy it

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ugh... I really hope there's a refresh this fall because it's going to start suffering as an A5 device with only 512mb RAM.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'd be surprised if they refresh them at all for the next year and a half. They sell so relatively little (and shrinking) that they only really exist as iPhones with training wheels for kids.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I have an ipod classic (160GB) which doesn't get recognized by itunes and my computer is telling me I need to format the device (I have windows 7). Do I really need to do that? I have my music backed up but it would suck to have to put it all back again.

Also I'm sick of having to use bullshit itunes on my computer, but as there is no other alternatives I thought about jailbreaking the thing. What good software is there that runs on an ipod Classic 7h Generation? I'm just looking for something that plays music and that let's me use another software instead of itunes.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Vincent posted:

I have an ipod classic (160GB) which doesn't get recognized by itunes and my computer is telling me I need to format the device (I have windows 7). Do I really need to do that? I have my music backed up but it would suck to have to put it all back again.

Also I'm sick of having to use bullshit itunes on my computer, but as there is no other alternatives I thought about jailbreaking the thing. What good software is there that runs on an ipod Classic 7h Generation? I'm just looking for something that plays music and that let's me use another software instead of itunes.

There are poo poo tons of different alternatives to iTunes. This question is asked constantly, and if you read even just a couple pages in this thread you'll see examples.

Also, you don't jailbreak iPod Classics; you just install Rockbox. As far as installing custom firmwares on an iPod classic goes, especially your iPod Classic, I wouldn't recommend trying it unless you're (very) familiar modifying/replacing low level stuff like bootloaders:
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/Main/IpodPort

As far as your computer not recognizing it, make sure it's not working with damaged sectors. Phones and Ipod Nanos store their data on what's called mmc, which is a form of flash memory. Ipod Classics store data on an old school platter hard disk, which is prone to corruption, especially if you happen to drop it while it's reading.

Right click the disk in My Computer, then go to the tool tab and do an error check. It should mark the bad spots as unusable and hopefully let you format it and avoid the nastiness that comes from hard drive corruption, but it's not foolproof. Of course if the error check says it couldn't find bad sectors, then there might be some other problem like hosed up drivers or something like that.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 20, 2014

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Mooktastical posted:

Right click the disk in My Computer, then go to the tool tab and do an error check. It should mark the bad spots as unusable and hopefully let you format it and avoid the nastiness that comes from hard drive corruption, but it's not foolproof. Of course if the error check says it couldn't find bad sectors, then there might be some other problem like hosed up drivers or something like that.

It says that the check could not be performed because Windows can't access the disk. I can still play music in it, but I can't add or delete any songs or anything (including restoring it) because iTunes or Copy Trans Manager both don't read the device. I don't want to format the iPod when Windows asks me to because I'm afraid it might delete even whatever software it has inside that makes it function as an iPod and I'll be stuck with just a very expensive black paperweight.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Vincent posted:

It says that the check could not be performed because Windows can't access the disk. I can still play music in it, but I can't add or delete any songs or anything (including restoring it) because iTunes or Copy Trans Manager both don't read the device. I don't want to format the iPod when Windows asks me to because I'm afraid it might delete even whatever software it has inside that makes it function as an iPod and I'll be stuck with just a very expensive black paperweight.

You definitely have bad sectors. If it's still got Applecare, have it replaced under warranty. If it qualifies for the 1 or 2 year Applecare extensions, I'd get one.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
What is the camera in latest iPod comparable to? Is it the same as the camera in the iPhone 5s? 5c? 5? Can it do the fancy pants high speed video like the 5s can?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

OldSenileGuy posted:

What is the camera in latest iPod comparable to? Is it the same as the camera in the iPhone 5s? 5c? 5? Can it do the fancy pants high speed video like the 5s can?
It's got the same optics (I believe) as the 5, but 5mp instead of 8mp. It has 1080p video with some noticeable stabilization that I don't think the 4S has.

No high speed stuff though.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

JazzFlight posted:

It's got the same optics (I believe) as the 5, but 5mp instead of 8mp. It has 1080p video with some noticeable stabilization that I don't think the 4S has.

No high speed stuff though.

Thanks. Is this still the latest generation iPod?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD723LL/A/refurbished-ipod-touch-32gb-black-slate-5th-generation

It says released September 2012. Has the iPod really not seen a refresh in almost 2 years?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Thanks. Is this still the latest generation iPod?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD723LL/A/refurbished-ipod-touch-32gb-black-slate-5th-generation

It says released September 2012. Has the iPod really not seen a refresh in almost 2 years?
Yes.
Don't remind me. :cry:

Edit: It's still pretty capable, but if they go one more full year without a refresh, you're gonna really feel it lagging behind. Right now it runs pretty much everything, but the 512mb of RAM (rarely) sometimes causes apps to crash. It runs stuff as well as an iPad 2 / iPhone 4S.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 24, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
iTunes just cleared my entire music library, which is 95% CD rips and music bought from places other than iTunes.

:negative:

I could manually re-add them, but maybe itunes will just clear it again. Jesus Christ.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Just copy your itunes.lib

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That's not a file on Windows. I tried restoring one of the "Previous iTunes Libraries" and nothing's happening.

loving iTunes.

Edit: Nevermind. I got it restored. But gently caress itunes for throwing me into a panic.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 27, 2014

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I've got an ipod nano, and when I went to charge it today, I got Code 43 error message, saying that the device has malfunctioned. I tried updating the drivers, but it said that the driver hadn't installed. I tried it in a different usb port, and another computer, same problem.

Is my ipod broken, or is there a way to get it to download the driver properly?

I had the same issue before, but it seemed to fix itself after a PC reboot, that's not happening this time. I've had it a year, if that helps.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 26, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apple's annual iPhone event is starting shortly. Please report to the dedicated event thread or YOSPOS to discuss the news.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
RIP iPod Classic. It's no longer available on Apple's online store.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

RIP iPod Classic. It's no longer available on Apple's online store.

A sad day. :smith:

One would have hoped for a spec bump in the iPod touches to match, but I guess iPods are a declining market.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Snuffman posted:

A sad day. :smith:

One would have hoped for a spec bump in the iPod touches to match, but I guess iPods are a declining market.

Apple will have one more event this fall to show off (best guesses) Yosemite, new iPad, and new iPod line-up. iPods are a declining market but the iPod Touch still sells because it's the iPhone for kids.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I still wish I didn't give away my original 6GB iPod when I outgrew it. Man, I remember back then when I thought "I would never need that much space for music". That thing single-handedly changed how I listen to music and how often. Now I'm on the last model with nearly 90 gigs of music, and it's still working fine. Sure, I was going to make it redundant when I go for a phone upgrade and get at 128 gig model, but it's nice to have music playing in a dock and to not have to stop it playing music every time I leave my desk.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Conveniently I just broke the screen on my 160GB iPod Classic that had been a constant companion for the last four or so years, so I need a high-storage mp3 player replacement.

Seeing that they're discontinuing the Classic, are there any reasonable alternatives that have a similar storage capacity? It's amazingly convenient to just able to load up all my music every few months and not have to worry about missing tracks or playlists when I'm traveling with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Cart posted:

Conveniently I just broke the screen on my 160GB iPod Classic that had been a constant companion for the last four or so years, so I need a high-storage mp3 player replacement.

Seeing that they're discontinuing the Classic, are there any reasonable alternatives that have a similar storage capacity? It's amazingly convenient to just able to load up all my music every few months and not have to worry about missing tracks or playlists when I'm traveling with it.
Will Apple just fix/replace it for a fee?

• Locked thread