Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

So reading the last couple of pages and I am left thinking the Apple does not drop older model prices of IPod when a new generation. Is that generally what happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

What the gently caress is Apple thinking discontinuing the iPod Classic? It's the only device they have that is capable of holding my entire library of Apple Lossess files. MP3s are for scrubs. EDIT: Okay, I'm being an rear end in a top hat audiophile, sorry.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 11, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Starhawk64 posted:

MP3s are for scrubs. :smug:
Your edge case is not worth maintaining a production facility and engineering to support it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Are there any decent alternatives to the iPod Classic? Everything seems to be some cheap piece of crap with terrible design/GUI or an overpriced audiophile piece of crap with terrible design/GUI. They really did have the (small as it may be) market cornered for someone who wanted a reasonably priced, high capacity MP3 player and nothing else.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Starhawk64 posted:

What the gently caress is Apple thinking discontinuing the iPod Classic? It's the only device they have that is capable of holding my entire library of Apple Lossess files. MP3s are for scrubs. EDIT: Okay, I'm being an rear end in a top hat audiophile, sorry.

Future Pono Player owner found.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
So after much searching it really seems like anyone who wants insurance against their favorite mp3 player dying is to just go buy another iPod classic now because there is nothing similar on the market. Is that the consensus?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, my understanding is pretty soon, eBay will be your only option. And the prices there will probably go stupid high...

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
Its kind of funny how on the Apple Store, the logo for iPod is still the old fashioned iPod with click wheel, but they don't sell them anymore.

RIP iPod classic with click-wheel.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Future Pono Player owner found.

Don't laugh, I ordered a Geek Wave. Not that I expect to ever actually get a working product, but I gave them lots of money.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
haha I'm only laughing at myself - I'm in the same boat with the Pono.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

I'm gonna buy the next available device that has 128+ GB and can play FLAC, whatever it may be. This ipod news bums me out. I really want to get one since my 08' model is on its last legs, but I don't have the cash at the moment and I know the prices are going to skyrocket. :sigh:

Karmakazi
Dec 24, 2013
So, no 6th gen touch? I want to upgrade from my 7th gen nano because I'm officially out of space and prefer to carry my entire music library with me. So my current options are, get a 64gb 5th gen touch for $300, get an iphone 5s 64gb off craigslist for $500ish (i do need a new phone) or hold out a little while for a new model/black friday deals. I would rather not wait but it won't kill me, what should I do?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Where is the best place to purchase refurbed iPod touches?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Where is the best place to purchase refurbed iPod touches?

Apple. Full warranty. The units are free of physical blemishes so they are good as new.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

68k posted:

I'm gonna buy the next available device that has 128+ GB and can play FLAC, whatever it may be. This ipod news bums me out. I really want to get one since my 08' model is on its last legs, but I don't have the cash at the moment and I know the prices are going to skyrocket. :sigh:

Micro SD cards come in 128gb flavors now, so all you need is a device that can read class 10 cards, which is a poo poo load of devices.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Apple. Full warranty. The units are free of physical blemishes so they are good as new.

Thanks!

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Mooktastical posted:

Micro SD cards come in 128gb flavors now, so all you need is a device that can read class 10 cards, which is a poo poo load of devices.

I'll have to do some research. It has been a while since I looked around, but the last time I went looking for a device either it didn't quite work with class 10 cards -or- playing FLAC files significantly reduced batter life (something about decoding not being optimized).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

68k posted:

I'll have to do some research. It has been a while since I looked around, but the last time I went looking for a device either it didn't quite work with class 10 cards -or- playing FLAC files significantly reduced batter life (something about decoding not being optimized).
Yeah, anyone got any recommendations for iPod-level (100gb+, good battery life) mp3 players in the future when my classic gives up the ghost? I know people liked the Sansa Clip (?) but that hasn't been updated for years.

I prefer having a dedicated device for music to save battery and space on my other devices.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, anyone got any recommendations for iPod-level (100gb+, good battery life) mp3 players in the future when my classic gives up the ghost? I know people liked the Sansa Clip (?) but that hasn't been updated for years.

I prefer having a dedicated device for music to save battery and space on my other devices.

Another thread pointed me to this, which looks awesome: http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x3-portable-music-player

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
So I just bought a 4g iPod touch. I have filled two iPod classics and this is my first time using IOS.

I manually drag all my of music over to my iPod because I don't store it on my computer, and I have never had a problem with my Classics.
With the Touch, it doesn't recognize some of my album titles. The info shows up just fine in iTunes, but when I go to check it on the ipod the album shows up as unknown album under the artist name. Is there a way I can make it not do that? OR, is there an app where I can edit the mp3 tags on the actual device.

I am thinking of selling the iPod because it is a hassle each morning to check my iPod after I load it up to see if it has added the files correctly. There are also a number of other things I hate about IOS so far, but this one is the biggest issue to me.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The biggest problem is that you're not using it the way they designed it. iDevices assume you're using iTunes to store the music, and then mirror it on the devices. Anything else is basically a hack if you're not using iTunes. In which case, you might as well use something else.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I am using iTunes, but the iPod for some reason isn't loading the album titles when the music is put on to the iPod.
The music hasn't left my computer yet, and I have never had my old iPods not contain all the id3 info the music was ripped or purchased with.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alright, sorry. I just see a lot of people who try to use iPods as dropboxes for mp3 files, rather than using iTunes.

Are you sure the field you are using for albums isn't a "Sort By Album"? Otherwise, when iTunes itself gets buggy with albums (splitting them in two for example), I will select all the songs on that album, add a space to the end of the album title, and then remove it. So "The Colour And The Shape" to "The Colour And The Shape ", then back to the first one. This will make iTunes re-write the album tags, and then I change it right back.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Is it crazy that I want to get an iPod Classic before supplies run out?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

sudo rm -rf posted:

Is it crazy that I want to get an iPod Classic before supplies run out?
No. They own.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

IUG posted:

Alright, sorry. I just see a lot of people who try to use iPods as dropboxes for mp3 files, rather than using iTunes.

Are you sure the field you are using for albums isn't a "Sort By Album"? Otherwise, when iTunes itself gets buggy with albums (splitting them in two for example), I will select all the songs on that album, add a space to the end of the album title, and then remove it. So "The Colour And The Shape" to "The Colour And The Shape ", then back to the first one. This will make iTunes re-write the album tags, and then I change it right back.

I don't use sort by albums. The ipod is new and there are only 5 albums on it so far. 3 of which show up with correct tags in iTunes, but show up as unknown album on the device.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Brekelefuw posted:

I don't use sort by albums. The ipod is new and there are only 5 albums on it so far. 3 of which show up with correct tags in iTunes, but show up as unknown album on the device.

That's why I suggested selecting the albums that aren't working, rename them slightly, then rename them back. It will let iTunes rewrite those fields, and maybe fix your problem after the next sync.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Downloading iOS 8 as we speak, let's see how this goes.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

MondayHotDog posted:

Downloading iOS 8 as we speak, let's see how this goes.

Godspeed, goon sir!

It would be going on my wife's iPod, but we had to RMA it, because the display was messed up on arrival. Had that line of white squares across the top.

On the plus side, it's gonna take 2 weeks to get there, and who knows how long for a replacement to show up, so iOS 8 should be in a better place by then.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
I really hope new iPods show up in October, but I'm doubtful. There haven't been any rumors lately, and as evidenced by the Classic, Apple seems to think that a 128GB iPhone can fill in for an iPod. At the same time, even they have to realize that there's a market out there for people who want iOS but don't need a phone or a tablet.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Nihiliste posted:

I really hope new iPods show up in October, but I'm doubtful. There haven't been any rumors lately, and as evidenced by the Classic, Apple seems to think that a 128GB iPhone can fill in for an iPod. At the same time, even they have to realize that there's a market out there for people who want iOS but don't need a phone or a tablet.
Same here. It's really painful knowing they're just ignoring the iPod Touch minority in favor of phones. I'm just now starting to feel certain apps struggle with the slower processor/lower RAM. It's not as bad as it was with the 4th gen, but it'll get worse over the next year, I'm sure.

I just can't justify having a huge monthly phone bill when I'm fine carrying around a cheapo android phone for $25 a month on Virgin Mobile.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
For anyone with a 5th gen iPod Touch, how long did the iOS 8 update take to install?
I'm approaching two hours now and am afraid unplugging it will brick it.

Pretty sure it's verified, installed, and restarted, but has been stuck just before the end of the progress bar for quite a while now.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

hedgecore posted:

For anyone with a 5th gen iPod Touch, how long did the iOS 8 update take to install?
I'm approaching two hours now and am afraid unplugging it will brick it.

Pretty sure it's verified, installed, and restarted, but has been stuck just before the end of the progress bar for quite a while now.

I'd say mine took probably 15-20 minutes. I think.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, 15-20 mins. sounds about right. It was my wife's iPod, since I want to keep my jailbreak, but it wasn't super long.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
That sounds more like what I expected. Ah well, it finished after two and a half hours.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Pfft. So if I can track down an iPhone 5c with (a) a bad ESN, (b) an unsmashed screen and (c) no iCloud lock on it, is that the functional equivalent of the iPod Touch 6th generation that completely failed to be announced today?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Like a dummy I decided to buy a launch day iPhone 5s with the smallest storage available and this bit me on the rear end on a recent road trip where I spent hours without a decent LTE connection. Should I pick up a 64gb refurb iPod touch or just suck it up and buy a 64/128gb iPhone 6?

I really like my phone as it is and just need way more internal storage.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

1st AD posted:

Like a dummy I decided to buy a launch day iPhone 5s with the smallest storage available and this bit me on the rear end on a recent road trip where I spent hours without a decent LTE connection. Should I pick up a 64gb refurb iPod touch or just suck it up and buy a 64/128gb iPhone 6?

I really like my phone as it is and just need way more internal storage.

Depends on a couple things. First, how would you feel about carrying two devices around? I personally have a Touch and an Android phone and it doesn't bother me, but some people would rather just have one. Second is that the Touch is outdated technology. Of course you'd still have your 5S for apps and games and anything that takes real processing power. While it's just fine for music, if you watch a lot of movies you'd probably appreciate the 6's larger screen. And I guess the last thing is price. Just consider the difference between trading in your 5S for a 6 vs. the cost of a Touch.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

1st AD posted:

Do you ever get important calls? I considered the iPhone plus iPod Touch combo but I work on call and it's important to me that the phone pause my music when I get an incoming call. You could stick the phone on vibrate, pause the iPod and scramble to switch headphone jacks in time but that seems like a pain in the rear end.

Not a factor that will make the decision for you, but a small annoyance worth noting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't usually listen to music with headphones in, when I do it's usually in a place where LTE coverage is abundant. My problem was during a road trip where the phone stayed plugged into the car the whole time.

I'm actually going to see if I can trade in the 5s for a 128gb 6 though - if the trade-in plus cash ends up costing me like $300 to upgrade I'd rather have one device than two.

• Locked thread