Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Lux Aeterna posted:

Hopefully revision 2 hardware will have the 5 things that are kind of irking me now
1- removal of shiny metal back (they did it with first gen nanos)
2- built in speaker
3- up/down buttons on the side (this drives me nuts the most since it has to go out of my pocket every time for simple volume changes)
4- built in mic (VoIP and voice notes would be pretty badass)
5- 32 gigs

None of that really bothers me except the capacity. I might have to go for this, it's just so loving shiny and new and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm having a bit of trouble SFTPing files to my Touch. I can get quite far through uploading a file, but then the connection will be lost every couple of minutes.

I think I'll give WinSCP a try later today. If it has a resume upload function (assuming the problem is with my network, and not the software I'm using), that'd be awesome.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Lux Aeterna posted:

'Tis the season for lovely knockoff accessories for under :10bux:

just saw this on tuaw and a goon in the iPhone thread got the remote accessory and thought it was pretty good.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/12/05/tuaw-buyers-guide-5-little-iphone-gifts/

the goon who got the remote picked it up at dealextreme.com and I just ordered the same remote and the speaker accessory. It's certainly not the best option, but for 13 bucks including s&h it's worth trying out
Wow, both of these are things I was planning to look for.

What type of remote would work best with the touch? A video or a nano?

Linkletter
Aug 4, 2004

Kimli posted:

I received my DLO case yesterday. It's pretty cool, but I came down with a massive case of the stupids right before I went to use it and ruined not one but THREE protective films for the front of my 'pod. The case itself looks really snazzy, but I won't be happy until I the new screens I had to order come in.

I swore for about an hour straight after doing that. Next time I'm going to seal myself into a distraction-free, cat-free room before applying the film.

I screwed up putting my film on too, there's quite a bit of dust stuck underneath it. My case only came with one though, are you using the film that came with it? Also, how do you get replacements?

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Hillridge posted:

Wow, both of these are things I was planning to look for.

What type of remote would work best with the touch? A video or a nano?

I don't believe the video one works with it. The video only has a dock port while the nano remote has the headphone jack and the dock connector and with touches you need both in to work. It's only moderately annoying considering you get a freaking remote.

Linkletter posted:

I screwed up putting my film on too, there's quite a bit of dust stuck underneath it. My case only came with one though, are you using the film that came with it? Also, how do you get replacements?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9370

dealextreme to the rescue. These look almost identical to the other ones and are only $1.50 each. If you buy 10 of them, they're $8.10 because of bulk pricing. I don't have any idea if they really suck though, but they do look pretty goddamn familiar and I can't imagine there aren't that many types of screen covers. And poo poo, there's a goddamn ipaq on the casing how not sketchy is that?

Drunk Bettie
Oct 28, 2007

squeeze my head for
delicious juice

Linkletter posted:

I used the film that came with the case, plus one I had sitting on my desk from a previous (really crappy) case purchase, and finally there already was one on my screen but it was extremely thick and matte - it dulled the surface of my touch and made it hard to poke at. Incidentally, the matte film was by far the most expensive one - I purchased it from the Apple Store for around $15, and it sucks.

I ebay'd up some new films, found a guy selling a 3-pack for $5. Picked up 2; soon I'll have 6 films to potentially f in the a!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Kimli posted:

I received my DLO case yesterday. It's pretty cool, but I came down with a massive case of the stupids right before I went to use it and ruined not one but THREE protective films for the front of my 'pod. The case itself looks really snazzy, but I won't be happy until I the new screens I had to order come in.
You had THREE films with the case? Or did you order extra ones?

I've ruined the single one, because trying to reapply it the first two times (loving air bubbles), it caught dust on the adhesive layer. And even if it would have worked, I tried to get the sticker of it, part of it kept stuck on it and would have ruined anyway.

I put the iPod in the case and use it without film. Maybe I find some films around here, I'm not gonna order again overseas.

Linkletter
Aug 4, 2004

Toiletbrush posted:

You had THREE films with the case? Or did you order extra ones?

I've ruined the single one, because trying to reapply it the first two times (loving air bubbles), it caught dust on the adhesive layer. And even if it would have worked, I tried to get the sticker of it, part of it kept stuck on it and would have ruined anyway.

I put the iPod in the case and use it without film. Maybe I find some films around here, I'm not gonna order again overseas.

This is exactly what happened to me. The first two times I had air bubbles, and the third time dust got trapped inside. I decided to deal with it rather than try again, but I really wish I could try again with the same type of film.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Got my Touch for my birthday today, and I must say, I am excited to jailbreak it and get some stuff started.

Someone linked this site earlier, and I think it looks loving awesome. I'll definitely be getting a custom case from them.

https://www.vajastore.com

70 bucks, but they look classy and well-built so V:shobon:V

EDIT: Just a quick question: what's the little plastic thing that comes with it for?

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Lawnie posted:

EDIT: Just a quick question: what's the little plastic thing that comes with it for?

if you manage to fit your touch into it it will defy gravity

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Lawnie posted:

It's a stand for when it's in landscape mode for watching videos.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

tuna posted:

Just a heads up because it confused the gently caress out of me before: When you download dictionaries, you have to manually check them inside WeDict by tapping on the "i" information icon. This inappropriate icon also may or may not open at all unless you've tapped it about 30 times, and by then you're tapping so fast you'll hit the "done" button that loads up directly behind it and have to start all over again. Before I managed to work out the "i" thing I just presumed the application really sucked.

Jesus, I was wondering why nothing was giving me results. Thanks for this. This 'feature' wasn't in the previous version I was using before I had to restore the iPod.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Holy crap -- know that application "MobileScrobbler" on installer.app that lets you scrobble your songs on the ipod touch? Well it uh, does something else now too -- you can listen to last.fm with it

Edit: In other news, a working Playstation emulator is about to be released for iPhone/iPod touch by the makers of gpsphone.

SuperCaptainJ fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 10, 2007

Weedle
May 31, 2006

SuperCaptainJ posted:

Edit: In other news, a working Playstation emulator is about to be released for iPhone/iPod touch by the makers of gpsphone.

I would really really love to see how they handle a d-pad + four face buttons + four shoulder buttons on an iPhone.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Rock Tumbler posted:

I would really really love to see how they handle a d-pad + four face buttons + four shoulder buttons on an iPhone.

There's a mockup at the top of : http://www.zodttd.com/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Any of you guys encoded videos for the iPod with tools other than lovely Quicktime?

I'm done experimenting video quality with MEncoder while hammering everything into the profile the iPod supports. I'm hoping for B-frame support in the next gen iPod though.

My video pass options look like this, doing two passes with turbo mode on first pass:

code:
-vf scale=480:-2 -ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=640:bframes=0:nocabac:trellis=1:subq=6:me=umh:frameref=2
I'm not even sure if 640kbit is way too high for 480x320 (or less vertical), but since this is a power drain test video, anyway, I'm only going to try lower bitrates later on.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Toiletbrush posted:

Any of you guys encoded videos for the iPod with tools other than lovely Quicktime?

I'm done experimenting video quality with MEncoder while hammering everything into the profile the iPod supports. I'm hoping for B-frame support in the next gen iPod though.

My video pass options look like this, doing two passes with turbo mode on first pass:

code:
-vf scale=480:-2 -ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=640:bframes=0:nocabac:trellis=1:subq=6:me=umh:frameref=2
I'm not even sure if 640kbit is way too high for 480x320 (or less vertical), but since this is a power drain test video, anyway, I'm only going to try lower bitrates later on.

I was under the impression that Videora was SOP. It works fantastic. You can line up a bunch of videos and it will encode them over night. It's got tons of different selections.
http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod-touch/

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH

OptimusMatrix posted:

I was under the impression that Videora was SOP. It works fantastic. You can line up a bunch of videos and it will encode them over night. It's got tons of different selections.
How on earth did you get it to encode multiple videos one after another? I see a queue window but all the options are greyed out, I can only encode one video at a time, going through the whole settings process every time.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Zeph posted:

How on earth did you get it to encode multiple videos one after another? I see a queue window but all the options are greyed out, I can only encode one video at a time, going through the whole settings process every time.

When one is in progress, just go through the same process to set up another video, and it'll get added to the queue.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
I've got a Touch in the mail, and want to get some of my DVD's on it. I see a lot of info regarding converting the file to work on the Touch, but what's a good program for importing/ripping the DVDs I own to my PC? Is there an all-in-one solution that just goes DVD->iPod Touch format?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Whenever I change minor details in a song's ID3 tags (e.g. genre, fixing capitalisation of an artist, etc.) and go to Sync it with my Touch, it doesn't get updated and it's really quite bugging me.

I've been told my best bet is to wipe all the songs from my iPod and resync the lot of them. This is a needlessly awkward way of doing it, but whatever. The problem is, I'm not seeing an option to wipe everything in the devices section of iTunes. Any help?

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

Vyze posted:

Whenever I change minor details in a song's ID3 tags (e.g. genre, fixing capitalisation of an artist, etc.) and go to Sync it with my Touch, it doesn't get updated and it's really quite bugging me.

I've been told my best bet is to wipe all the songs from my iPod and resync the lot of them. This is a needlessly awkward way of doing it, but whatever. The problem is, I'm not seeing an option to wipe everything in the devices section of iTunes. Any help?

It's probably the same with the touch, but with other ipods if you do a "restore" it'll do a wipe.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

McCheese posted:

It's probably the same with the touch, but with other ipods if you do a "restore" it'll do a wipe.
Which means I'd lose any applications from jailbreak. :(

I think I found the answer, though. Unticking the "Sync Music" box seems to delete all the music from my iPod.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

OptimusMatrix posted:

I'm only using Windows when I need to sync the iPod. I prefer to use *nix tools. Also, I tried Videora, and it's a piece of bloated poo poo. I like the fact that it uses a webbrowser to display most of the interface to spam me with ads.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

SuperCaptainJ posted:

Holy crap -- know that application "MobileScrobbler" on installer.app that lets you scrobble your songs on the ipod touch? Well it uh, does something else now too -- you can listen to last.fm with it

Hopefully it won't kill the battery in 2 hours like gpsphone does (though the ability to play Advance Wars on the touch is awesome). If I could touch the screen to direct troops rather than use the d-pad it would be perfect.

They did finally make a version of it that allows for easy game snapshot/restore.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
OK my 16GB touch hotness just showed up, is it supposed to be loading relatively slowly? i.e. about 1 song every other second. It seems to be much slower than my old 20GB B&W clickwheel.

E: Never mind, I realized that's actually normal and quick. This thing is friggin' awesome.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 12, 2007

whiskas
May 30, 2005

SuperCaptainJ posted:

There's a mockup at the top of : http://www.zodttd.com/

Hahahahaha, I guess they deserve some credit for trying, but A LOT of PSX games require the ability to use the directional pads and trigger buttons at the same time, and even if you try to do some finger yoga to get around this, you'll end up covering most of the screen anyway, not to mention having to be able to push one of the 4 buttons at any time.

Does anyone else get artifacts while watching some youtube videos? Like the colors not being right?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I am loving all the iPod Touch homebrew, and am making liberal use of some of them. However, I'm still waiting for a nice Spreadsheet application to come along. :(

People are doing tons of weird, cool, and gimmicky things, but I don't see why the talented developers aren't spending their time on very useful applications such as that. Sometimes makes me wish I actually had some effort and coding ability. :v:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Vyze posted:

People are doing tons of weird, cool, and gimmicky things, but I don't see why the talented developers aren't spending their time on very useful applications such as that. Sometimes makes me wish I actually had some effort and coding ability. :v:
They're probably waiting for the SDK. I don't think that applications, that are likely going to be shareware or commercial, are going to based on a hack to make them run.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Toiletbrush posted:

They're probably waiting for the SDK. I don't think that applications, that are likely going to be shareware or commercial, are going to based on a hack to make them run.
There's a point. After looking at some of the stuff that's been done for free, I kinda forgot that some people actually want something in return for weeks/months of hard work. v:shobon:v

Well, once someone's made a good spreadsheet app, I'll happily pay for it.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
This seems to be the iPod Touch homebrew thread more than anything, but I can't think of a better place to ask my question.

Did any of you buy your Touch predominantly to watch movies? Are you happy with it for that function?

I am considering buying one, but I was a little disappointed to see in a demo video that though the Touch in landscape mode is technically wide screen, actually showing wide screen video means not using the whole screen. Also, I read in some Amazon review (so it's obviously not credible, but it makes me wonder) that the screen isn't as crisp as the iPod Nano screen.

I'm wondering if my impressions are wrong.

Also, do you guys know if there's any way to see a live iPod Touch demo, like in Best Buy or something? The nearest Apple store is a bit of a drive for me.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I still say that if you want something just for watching video, an Archos is the way to go. The screen may be crisper on an iPod, but you can get a larger screen for the same price with an Archos - which is why I keep my old one around.

It really is the homebrew that makes the touch stand-out and become more than a fun half-hour gimmick.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
This may be a dumb question, but if I go to music->songs->shuffle to randomly play everything on my iPod, and then while a song is playing I look at the tracks on that album and play one, how do I put total-library shuffle back on without going all the way back to the songs screen? If I turn shuffle back on it just shuffles the album.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Hillridge posted:

This may be a dumb question, but if I go to music->songs->shuffle to randomly play everything on my iPod, and then while a song is playing I look at the tracks on that album and play one, how do I put total-library shuffle back on without going all the way back to the songs screen? If I turn shuffle back on it just shuffles the album.
Going back to the song screen is only, what, 4 seconds of work? That's something you probably just need to deal with.

It's less of an obvious loving blunder than not including a music playlist editor in a music device for playing music. Lists of music, if you will... Lists to be played musically.
I know there's the "On The Go", thing, but there's only one of that, and you have to save it as something else back on iTunes on a PC before you can make another playlist. Hopefully someone will make a tweak or a patch to add basic mp3 player functionality to an iPod. :shobon:

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Vyze posted:

I still say that if you want something just for watching video, an Archos is the way to go. The screen may be crisper on an iPod, but you can get a larger screen for the same price with an Archos - which is why I keep my old one around.

It really is the homebrew that makes the touch stand-out and become more than a fun half-hour gimmick.

The Archos does seem to be the only legitimate alternative to the Touch. This model is $200 less than the 16gb Touch, has twice the storage, and an inch bigger screen, give or take.

Have you found compatibility to be an issue with your Archos? One of the things I was looking for in the Touch was the "just works" factor of using it with iTunes.

Archos sure doesn't make electronics as sexy looking as Apple does, though. :)

edit: VVV I forgot to mention that. It's a pretty huge dissuading factor for me, too. Why carry around anything that goes could potentially be a brick if you drop it from a few feet?

Mortley fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 14, 2007

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Mortley posted:

The Archos does seem to be the only legitimate alternative to the Touch. This model is $200 less than the 16gb Touch, has twice the storage, and an inch bigger screen, give or take.

Have you found compatibility to be an issue with your Archos? One of the things I was looking for in the Touch was the "just works" factor of using it with iTunes.

Archos sure doesn't make electronics as sexy looking as Apple does, though. :)

I'd be all over that thing if it used flash memory. No more hard drive based media players for me.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Mortley posted:

My only compatibility problems came up with that fact that some files were encoded with some quarter-pixel bizarre bullshit that meant they wouldn't work. This was drat rare, though, so pretty much any DivX video downloaded off the net will work fine. Plus it works as a portable HD (mine does, at least), which the Touch doesn't. And it won't obfuscate your mp3 filenames and folders so you can keep your songs laid out in whatever order you like.

The problem was that I got the 7" screen one (AV700), meaning it sure as hell wouldn't fit in my pocket. I keep it for watching videos, though - I haven't even bothered encoding it into mp4 or whatever mixed up format to test videos out on my Touch.

Oh, and you can make and save playlists with the thing. :argh: And no iTunes bullshit. Copy/paste in Windows Explorer is a much better file management system than some horribly bloated, oversized piece of software that does very little for the actual user. And you can turn it on to play with it (even though you haven't put any music past the default couple of crummy pre-installed songs, but oh well) before getting home and plugging it into the PC, which you can't with the Touch. :)

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!
I was thinking of getting an iPod touch as a Christmas gift for myself. I bought an Archos 605, thinking it would be better than an iPhone/iPod touch. Unfortunately, the Archos keeps making me think it's the worst device ever made.

1) It allegedly takes any file without conversion, but due to the bullshit plugin thing, I need to convert almost everything anyway.
2) The music interface is a total joke.
3) Web browsing is equally a joke. Admittedly Youtube is nice, but everything is so god damned slow.
4) The "Widgets" are pointless, and there's no homebrew.
5) The battery is pretty weird and sometimes loses charge for no real reason.

So while I'd like an iPhone, Buying one right now doesn't make sense with the 3G coming. So I look to the touch. However, I've the iLounge review says that the screen, battery, audio fidelity, everything is generally inferior to the iPhone. Is this true, or is it just bellyaching?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm looking to get a nice case for my iPod Touch to keep it safe, would anyone recommend this one?:
http://www.iskin.com/touch_overview.html

I've emailed that website asking what shipping to the UK would be, since every case I can find for sale in the UK looks so very cheap and tacky. No reply from them yet, though. :(

Mr_D posted:

So while I'd like an iPhone, Buying one right now doesn't make sense with the 3G coming. So I look to the touch. However, I've the iLounge review says that the screen, battery, audio fidelity, everything is generally inferior to the iPhone. Is this true, or is it just bellyaching?
Admittedly, I haven't actually seen an iPhone in person, but the screen, battery life, audio quality, and everything else is absolutely fine on the iPod Touch. My only complaint is that ScummVM can be quite a battery drainer, with just over an hour of play taking about 30-40% of the battery. Then again, I've almost finished Sam 'n' Max so I won't need that for a while. Listening to music barely drains the battery at all, so you can get plenty of usage out of it.

You could always pay twice as much, as well as a huge contract fee every month, to get an iPhone, but then again you could always just jailbreak your iPod, and have everything the iPhone does other than an actual phone (and Bluetooth).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cioxx
Jul 14, 2001

Is there a free way to backup iPod touch music onto a computer? It's non-jailbroken and the music is manually managed (I don't have the files in the iTunes)

• Locked thread