Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I feel like that shouldn't have happened just because it would be so tedious to make, even if you made a program to do it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Speaking of CAD and 3D modelling, autodesk gives all of its stuff out for free for 3 years if you're a student.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I'm using SDL2# for a project, and I'm getting this error at runtime whenever the program tries to call an SDL method:
code:
An unhandled exception of type 'System.DllNotFoundException' occurred in Flashlight.exe
Additional information: Unable to load DLL 'SDL2.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
I have SDL2-CS.dll (which is what SDL2# builds into) referenced in the project, and Visual Studio's IntelliSense can see it. What's going on?

Edit: Obsurveyor figured it out; it was because I needed to put SDL2.dll in the same folder as the executable.

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 15, 2015

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Inverness posted:

:stare: I'm not sure why you had a problem here. The error message said quite clearly it was unable to load SDL2.dll. Why were you confused?

Misread it & assumed that SDL2# had included everything it needed.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

First serious non-robot thing I've ever programmed. Just look at all that programmer art. :D

The visible bit is the rendering engine (Although it's pretty much a lawnmower engine compared to most things that are called that). I programmed a lot of the physics and stuff beforehand because I didn't feel like learning SDL until I had to. If you look closely, you may notice that I did something wrong.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

ErIog posted:

Mixed up x and y in your tile locations?

Yep. I think I know why, though, so that will be an easy thing to fix.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

space kobold posted:

I've decided to build my next game project around the idea that the core executable is closed source, and all gameplay is located in an open source library that's dynamically loaded. Basically having the engine be the .exe instead of an external library, and loading the gameplay logic like you would a plugin.

How dumb of an idea is this? I understand it can be tricky to work with dynamic library loading on certain consoles, but the current release targets are all your standard PC/Mac/*nix combo.

Project is entirely in modern C.

Sounds cool to me, but why are you doing it in C?

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

space kobold posted:

C is clean and easy to understand, fast, is supported absolutely everywhere, and has a rather mind numbingly large collection of libraries and projects written in it.

Is there any reason I shouldn't use it? Even if I'm forced into an environment where I'm using C++, I treat it just like C with namespaces and pretend templates aren't a thing that exist. :v:

edit: On the fly code reloading looks absolutely lovely, and my planned architecture can already can support it with minimal alternations. Yay. Thanks for the links Ekster.

Just wondered, since I haven't seen any projects recently that specifically used just C.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Manslaughter posted:

I wish C# had multiple class inheritance.

Whenever I think that, I end up finding a better way to do whatever it is I wanted to do with multiple inheritance.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Sex Tragedy posted:

I made a new twitch plays thing. Does anybody have any tips on getting viewership for it?

Was going to respond that this seemed to belong in an LP related thread rather than this, but yeah I guess a Twitch Plays is kind of a game in and of itself.

I don't have any tips for you, though; just wanted to say that. :v:

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Could they not have shot the ray bottom to top?

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Could someone point me towards an introduction to procedural generation?

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

That reminded me that I've already read that article, and in fact have that website bookmarked. :sweatdrop: (Thanks though)

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

SupSuper posted:

Why would you wanna use C++ extensively. :v:

Now that Mono is open source or something (not sure how that happened, I think it has something to do with Microsoft?), I wonder if the C# for UE thing will get revived.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

How does Dark Souls get away with slow wind ups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

RE: Godot Chat

There's also Xenko, which is also open-source, will leave beta in April, uses C# (with the current version of .Net Standard, for those of you who hate that Unity's been on an old version of .Net forever), and will have a free indie license. I don't know if it's actually good, though, but it seems like it from what little I've seen. Also, I'm pretty sure they're also going to have Switch support in the April release, but that one I'm not entirely sure about.

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 25, 2017