Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

There was an old version of the PYF Creepy Stories thread or whatever with the tagline "time to Dyatlov Pass the buck" or something. I can't find it for the life of me. Would a kind soul know where it went?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3374404

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Golden Gael posted:

There was an old version of the PYF Creepy Stories thread or whatever with the tagline "time to Dyatlov Pass the buck" or something. I can't find it for the life of me. Would a kind soul know where it went?

Speaking of, apparently the Dyatlov Pass incident has now been explained, thanks to certain snow physics used in Disney's 'Frozen', of all places. Yes, really.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of, apparently the Dyatlov Pass incident has now been explained, thanks to certain snow physics used in Disney's 'Frozen', of all places. Yes, really.

Can't just not explain that

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Can't just not explain that

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/645349/disneys-frozen-dyatlov-pass-mystery-breakthrough

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
there was a write-up of the movie "american paycho" posted in CD at some point, with analysis about things like the framing and camera setup of scenes and what they could represent from a thematic standpoint. does anyone know where that is, or if there's a copy of it somewhere?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

That explains it! Don't have archives so I couldn't look it up through Google. Thank you!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I don't really understand even after reading the article. They said it was a special type of avalanche, but one that wouldn't fully bury the tent, so... did they just freak out and run away because they perceived it would be a bigger one? I still don't see what caused them to run away.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

credburn posted:

I don't really understand even after reading the article. They said it was a special type of avalanche, but one that wouldn't fully bury the tent, so... did they just freak out and run away because they perceived it would be a bigger one? I still don't see what caused them to run away.

The avalanche was caused by high speed wind. Specifically, katabatic wind. So they probably were woken up by sudden hurricane winds pelting their tent with hard chunks of ice and it was only getting worse.

And also y'know. Some of the ice chunks were the size of cars and some of the hikers already got traumatically injured by them. That probably contributed to the 'this place is loving cursed let's get out of here' rush.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

this isnt an SA thing i think, but didnt this video used to have a voice commentary about how cool thomas the cat is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KESvvPiudc0

maybe that isnt the original?

this one by "Mr VoiceOver" has the voiceover but also he has literally only that video: link

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Dec 29, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Turpitude II posted:

there was a write-up of the movie "american paycho" posted in CD at some point, with analysis about things like the framing and camera setup of scenes and what they could represent from a thematic standpoint. does anyone know where that is, or if there's a copy of it somewhere?

I'm trying to find this post but apparently I can't remember who originally wrote it. I thought I did, but now I can't find it. Unless they scrubbed it from the net because they were using it in academia or something

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I'm looking for two things.

One is the thread where something really sombre had happened and goons were sad but another goon kept posting his workout regime into the thread by mistake because he was out hiking somewhere with bad signal.

The second is more difficult because I have no idea what thread it was or when I read it. It might have been titled something like "post your favourite owns" or "post your best SA moment". One of the owns was when a Mod posted a new thread with new rules and then immediately locked it. However a goon was able to quickly sneak in a "gently caress you" as the first reply and it got locked forever along with the OP. The description of what happened made me laugh and I'd love to read it again.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I'm looking for two things.

One is the thread where something really sombre had happened and goons were sad but another goon kept posting his workout regime into the thread by mistake because he was out hiking somewhere with bad signal.

It was an abortion thread in E/N, here's the goon quotes thread link to it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749412&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=workout&pagenumber=834#post513308369

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
"ive been working out!" cracks me up every drat time

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

"ive been working out!" cracks me up every drat time
A t-shirt with that on the front, and "Unless DB stands for dead baby, you're in the wrong thread" in small print on the back

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
That's it, thank you!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This should be fairly easy to find, and yet I have found nothing.

It was in GBS, I believe, and it was titled something like "I quit my job in the most incredible way ever". I believe it's now over a decade old, maybe even 15 years?

At a glance, it looks like a medium sized effort post. Guy works at an amusement park that he doesn't want to name for fear of reprisal. He's doing IT there. He's being treated like poo poo by his boss, and devises a plan to quit but also wants to give a bit of a gently caress you to the job and his boss, specifically...

Spoilers in case someone finds this and you want to go in blind, my apologies for anyone who wants to help look for this and has to get the next part spoiled... at the end of the post, he ends with something like "and then I dropped the barbasol can and was eaten by a dinosaur the end", letting everyone know that the story was bullshit and it was just some in-universe post by Denis Nedry from Jurassic Park.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
lol that sounds so good I hope somebody finds it.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Some goon once posted his dads fanfic about Darth Vader robbing a bank, and I feel like I have been trying to find it again for the last 15 years.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

evobatman posted:

Some goon once posted his dads fanfic about Darth Vader robbing a bank, and I feel like I have been trying to find it again for the last 15 years.

wow you literally have. sixteen years actually. since 2008

evobatman posted:

Does anyone have the story about Darth Vader robbing a bank? It was a fanfic written by some goons father. It was also absolutely 100% as absurd and hilarious as the concept sounds.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

It was in GBS, I believe, and it was titled something like "I quit my job in the most incredible way ever". I believe it's now over a decade old, maybe even 15 years?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3271163

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

InediblePenguin posted:

wow you literally have. sixteen years actually. since 2008

If we ever find the story, we gotta tell the goons dad.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Can someone hook me up with that long train derailment post?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

DoctorWhat posted:

Can someone hook me up with that long train derailment post?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3394711&pagenumber=22&perpage=40#post407153083

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bless you.