Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Clove oil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

just a kazoo posted:

Does anyone know how to humanely euthanize a fish?

All ideas are welcome.

I've heard that putting them in the freezer works? Honestly, it seems kind of brutal, but I would probably just give him a hard stomp or a whack with a shovel and be done with it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What's the smartest course of action to recover two lost dogs? Is there anything to do after alerting the neighbors and printing flyers?

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

SuperKlaus posted:

What's the smartest course of action to recover two lost dogs? Is there anything to do after alerting the neighbors and printing flyers?

Contact your local council and animal welfare agencies.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Contact police and animal control, they're out and about, and respond to loose dogs.

See if your area has a facebook group. Even if you dont live in it, if there's a nearby housing development with an HOA, they most likely have a group and will put out a post with the dog's information.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thank you so much for sound advice - but they came back! They're soaked and smell terribly of skunk but they came back! A happy lucky ending for me.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Does anyone have experience with custom covers for couches? My dog likes to dig under his blanket and has pulled up a few stray threads on my couch. It’s an oversized couch with chaise lounge so it’s not going to be a standard size. I have sheets on them now but they certainly don’t look good and aren’t a great fit.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Hey guys, I don't have any pets but my financially poor neighbor(s) has several dogs and one appears to have a very serious case of mange. This dog comes out and barks at me all the time when I'm in the back yard and I usually just ignore him. We have a low chain link fence (it's an old neighborhood) between our houses so I can easily see him whenever he's barking at me. I had a friend over a few months ago and she mentioned the dog looked like it had mange, but the dog is never groomed and looks like a feral dog so I hoped it was just unkempt.

Well today I was out trimming trees near the fence and he was out there barking at me like usual and I could see his back for once from up on the ladder and he had fresh spots of blood, presumably from scratching or biting. These were like golf ball sized spots too. It looked really bad and painful.

My dilemma is I don't think my neighbors can afford to do anything about it assuming they care. Is there anything I can do to try and get this dog help without making my neighbors for years to come hate me?

Also my friend likes to bring her super amazing GSD over to enjoy my yard but now I'm afraid of how contagious mange is. The neighbors dog never gets closer than a foot to the fence and neither does my friends dog. Is that enough of a buffer? I try to keep my friends dog from barking at the other dog but sometimes she gets past me and they bark at each other through the fence.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 23, 2019

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
My folks woke up this morning to discover that some wild rabbits had deposited some baby rabbits in their vegetable garden; they can't be more than a day old, all clustered together in a little dug out part of the garden bed.

Their initial response was awwwww but apparently the rabbit parents haven't been back for the rest of the day (although they haven't been keeping a close eye or anything). They're giving the garden a wide berth for the moment and are a bit curious about what to do in this situation. Is it possible that the garden being so close to the house they've already inadvertently chased off the parents? Is there anything to do in the situation beyond staying well away from it?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Mom rabbits only feed their babies a couple times a day, usually when its dark. They don't stick around the nest because that could draw predators. Presumably the mom made her nest there while your parents were behaving like they always do so she won't be surprised they're still around. Just leave the nest alone and go about your life as normal and they'll be all grown and out of the nest in 3-4 weeks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Not sure if there's a Pet Island product recommendation thread, but I'm looking for some sort of traction padding/cover that I can put on some hardwood stairs so that my corgi has an easier time with them. He fell down a few steps the other day and while he suffered no lasting damage he's scared to go down them on his own now. Ideally I would buy something that won't require a permanent fixture as we're renting our current place.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
Grip tape! I have it for my stairs.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
How can I keep my cats off my counters without putting down cellophane or aluminum foil? I'm afraid they're gonna eat it.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Put catnip on all the floors.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Bored As gently caress posted:

How can I keep my cats off my counters without putting down cellophane or aluminum foil? I'm afraid they're gonna eat it.

This didn't work for me anyway, I went back to removing her and firmly saying "NO" but all it's brought me is that she does it while no one's watching. I hear that shhh cat product works well, but it's weirdly expensive here so whatever, we just learned to put food away immediately.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
So I just payed petPlan 80 dollars a month for 10 months just so they could deny my cats ACL tear treatment because they dont cover "cruciate ligament injuries" for 6 months after you start a policy. Because of course.

Is there a single solitary insurance company that is not horseshit

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Scionix posted:

Is there a single solitary insurance company that is not horseshit

Considering that their path to profit is to extract fees from customers, and then minimize their costs when customers come calling? It's fundamentally fraught with moral hazard.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In other words? No. No there is not. I'm sorry. :smith:

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Honestly when my cat tore his ACL I was like, "well at least this will be easy to approve, there's no way to extort insurance with that, it's the definition of a freak injury."

Hahah psyche bitch we aint covering that

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
What is this bug?

It is about an inch long.

e: nevermind! It's a white-marked tussock moth caterpillar. In any case, I got to share a nice pic.

fart store fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 18, 2019

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
My parents have two old Chihuahua's, both 15-16 years old. One seems to be defying her age, still pretty active and gets around pretty well. The other is losing his sight and starting to have trouble getting around. He can no longer get up the one stair of our porch when he's ready to come back in from being outside. He's pretty much a rescue dog, was told he spent most of his life in a basement. His favorite thing is to run around in our yard, but even though we've had him for several years he's still not really interested in being handled so he'll run away when we try to help him up the porch.

Anyways, I think he's just an old dog getting old but my mother wants me to see if there's anything to get him for joint pain. Is there anything like this for dogs that's not a scam and actually works that someone would recommend?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I've had good success with adequan. It's an injectable you get from the vet but it's easy to give subq and has actual research behind it. I know when my dog doesn't sleep on my bed with me that he needs a dose and then he's good for another month. It's $$$ but it's probably much more reasonable for a chihuahua than my saint bernard mix. You can also get actual pain meds from the vet that would make the little buddy more comfortable.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

katkillad2 posted:

My parents have two old Chihuahua's, both 15-16 years old. One seems to be defying her age, still pretty active and gets around pretty well. The other is losing his sight and starting to have trouble getting around. He can no longer get up the one stair of our porch when he's ready to come back in from being outside. He's pretty much a rescue dog, was told he spent most of his life in a basement. His favorite thing is to run around in our yard, but even though we've had him for several years he's still not really interested in being handled so he'll run away when we try to help him up the porch.

Anyways, I think he's just an old dog getting old but my mother wants me to see if there's anything to get him for joint pain. Is there anything like this for dogs that's not a scam and actually works that someone would recommend?
If you're looking for over the counter stuff,
at this point, most vets seem pretty on board with dasuquin and cosequin. Neither is a miracle product, but anecdotally at least they both seem to help a bit. Expect to be on either one for awhile (off the top of my head, I think 6 weeks) before you see any improvements.

In terms of prescription drugs, there are some really great choices out there that make a huge difference in arthritic dogs. Carprofen is cheap and effective, but I'd suggest bloodwork in an older dog before starting it. Galliprant is made specifically for arthritis pain and is easier on the liver/kidneys than other NSAIDs, but it's fairly costly. And as already mentioned, a lot of dogs do great on adequan.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I am absolutely terrified that I'm doing everything wrong with my new cat, particularly two things:

Post-surgical care. I had her spayed on July 26th at the MSPCA low cost spay/neuter clinic in Boston, got her shots, etc, but they didn't put a cone on her and said it wasn't recommended unless she was actually messing with the incision, which she hasn't really seemed to be doing (but it's hard to tell). It's also really difficult to check her belly to see how it's healing because she doesn't like being manhandled, but when she does roll over it looks... okay, I guess? I can't really tell where the incision is, there's a little green tattoo and what looks like a small scab? I'm scared it will get infected and I won't know until it's too late. I can't really stop her from playing or jumping up on things.

Second thing is behavior. She was a street cat until about a week and a half ago and she's very sweet, huge cuddler, but she gets bitey if she's overexcited or if I pick her up unexpectedly. I suspect she probably just never grew up around people or other cats to teach her how to play gently, but I've been told to shout and put her down/stop giving her attention if she bites and I've been trying that as well as redirecting her to a stuffed catnip toy. I love this little gremlin and I want her to feel safe, but I'm scared that I don't know how to teach her not to bite. Does she just need more time to adjust to being a pet?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You got her a week and a half ago. There's no way she's fully acclimated to her new life yet. Give her time.

As for the surgery, my feeling would be that if you're able to keep tabs on her (i.e. she's not hiding out of sight all the time) and she's not messing with the injury, then it's probably fine. You can buy a cone from a pet supply store if you're worried though.

The green dots are a tattoo that the vet puts on each animal they neuter, to make sure that nobody tries to neuter them twice.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You got her a week and a half ago. There's no way she's fully acclimated to her new life yet. Give her time.

I had a feeling, but hearing it from somebody else makes me feel better.

quote:

As for the surgery, my feeling would be that if you're able to keep tabs on her (i.e. she's not hiding out of sight all the time) and she's not messing with the injury, then it's probably fine. You can buy a cone from a pet supply store if you're worried though.

Yeah, she seems fine. I did buy a cone, but was unable to successfully put it on her.

quote:

The green dots are a tattoo that the vet puts on each animal they neuter, to make sure that nobody tries to neuter them twice.

That much I know. It's hard to get a good look at the actual incision, but she's not bleeding and there's no discharge, so I think she's good.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Honestly, if you're having trouble seeing the incision, it sounds like it's healing well. If it was dehiscing or infected, it would be pretty evident. As far as the cone goes, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It sounds as though the sutures are buried (as opposed to there being visible skin sutures that would require removal) - If that's the case, animals really don't seem to bother the incision site too much. That, and keeping a cone on a cat can be...... difficult.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Biting update: she's definitely bored/trying to play. I've been playing with her more and trying to keep her off my lap when she's in a playful mood because she attacks my hands when I'm typing.

It's tricky because for the time being she's confined to my room, but I got her a bunch of toys and she goes nuts for the laser pointer.

She's also the prettiest kitty in the world

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
There’s an old barn cat who lives at my job, doesn’t belong to anyone. Unfortunately she has a ton of knots in her fur and she desperately needs a haircut. Are there any groups I could contact that help with that sort of thing, or would a groomer be the only thing to do? Just wanted to know what options there are for animals with homes but not owners.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Invert question!

I think millipedes are pretty dang cool. Does anyone have recommendations for what millipede species are good to start out with? I was thinking of having a mixed "rolly polly"/isopod and millipede mixed tank.

I was thinking of just buying a mixed bag of North American millipedes, but I'd love to hear suggestions.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Hardwood Floor posted:

Invert question!

I think millipedes are pretty dang cool. Does anyone have recommendations for what millipede species are good to start out with? I was thinking of having a mixed "rolly polly"/isopod and millipede mixed tank.

I was thinking of just buying a mixed bag of North American millipedes, but I'd love to hear suggestions.

Good timing, I just came in to ask if there's a general bugs & beetles thread. I just added three bumblebee millipedes and a load of zebra pillbugs to my sun beetle enclosure. It was meant to be a little terrarium to fill an otherwise empty tank but I lasted all of three days before I got bored with plants and started putting beetles in.

Edit to add a question: does anyone know a really good source of beetles etc in the UK? ebay and bugzuk are about the limits of my knowledge.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sanford fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 18, 2019

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Hello~
A few days ago, a hibernating paper wasp foundress crawled from my ceiling into my warm bright kitchen. We’ve been experiencing march cold snaps here, so I have her in a container with airholes, bedding, some honey, and a cap of sugar water. I’m under the assumption that the warmth of my home has brought her out of hibernation slightly early, as the new foliage- and her caterpillars, aren’t here yet. She was dozy at first but she’s become more active in the daylight. When would be the responsible time to let her outside? Should I keep her in the dark so she stays more dormant until then?

Macht
Jun 18, 2007
roll with brian lamb

Macht posted:

My 5 month old puppy just peed herself laying down (awake) and is acting pretty drowsy for the time of night.

Is this 24 emergency vet level of a problem?

Wanted to update everyone on this FYR. Years later my roommate confessed that he misplaced an edible and then didn't tell anyone, did he dose my dog?

Did not know at the time to grill roommates when your dog is sick 😷

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Not sure this is the best place to ask this, but I need some help remembering the name of a particular spider. It's a big, mossy-green orb weaver with a bulbous and roughly spherical body. It lives somewhere in the USA, prefers forests, is about the size of a golf ball and it's well-known for weaving massively huge webs that span entire small roads at times. I think it's from somewhere in the South-East, but I might be misremembering.

If anyone can point me at it, I'd appreciate the help.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Years back, there was some woman who was dead set on adopting some sort of sheep herding dog as a family pet despite everybody telling her it was a loving terrible idea but she wasn't hearing any of it. A few months later, she turned up on another forum looking to get rid of the dog. If you've been around, you know the story.

What kind of dog was that?

I'm looking to adopt a dog from a shelter and don't want to adopt that breed.

shipwrecks
Dec 31, 2008

SkunkDuster posted:

Years back, there was some woman who was dead set on adopting some sort of sheep herding dog as a family pet despite everybody telling her it was a loving terrible idea but she wasn't hearing any of it. A few months later, she turned up on another forum looking to get rid of the dog. If you've been around, you know the story.

What kind of dog was that?

I'm looking to adopt a dog from a shelter and don't want to adopt that breed.

Maremma Sheepdog. That thread was a trainwreck from start to finish. Link for the interested. Man, sometimes I miss old PI :(

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
A few days ago my husband I gotta sweet orange male kitten, he’s about 9 weeks old. We’ve been very slowly trying to introduce him to our 30lb neutered male Miniature Schnauzer mix, but the dog is REALLY loving INTERESTED in the cat.

We’ve got a baby gate set up separating the house into “cat half” and “dog half.” We do very controlled “just see each other from a few feet away” introductions with the dog leashed the whole time. The dog has a pretty high prey drive and loves to chase squirrels.

I’m terrified the dog is going to kill or hurt this kitten. Twice out of five times the dog has lunged to nip at the kitten. First time he got my arm as I quickly blocked him (didn’t break skin), second time we yanked him away before anything happened.

My best bet is to rehome this kitten, isn’t it?

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Mouse Dresser posted:

My best bet is to rehome this kitten, isn’t it?

According to my professional source, aka my sister who the foster coordinator at a large humane animal rescue, yes. You should probably rehome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

It's getting very hot in my apartment and there's been some heatwaves. I don't have A/C. I'm really worried about my cat. I've been giving her extra wetfood with water mixed in. She's still affectionate and playful, with a good appetite and isn't hiding away, but she's been meowing at me with her mouth open and panting. I'm thinking she's probably overheated?

I'm looking at options to help her cool down. Wood a cooling mat be a good idea? And if so, could someone recommend a really good one?