Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VyperRDH
Nov 5, 2007

Brush your teeth for God's sake...

maplecheese posted:

Super high quality cat foods are generally suitable for both kittens and adult cats. The only real difference between Science Diet Kitten and Science Diet Adult Original is that kitten is 33/23/3 protein/fat/fiber and adult original is 30/20/2 and the ingredients are in a slightly different order. A decent food is going to have more protein than either. But if you're worried, look for one that says "for cats and kittens" on the bag.

Thanks for the info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Our dogs are being dicks to our cat. They always seemed to enjoy annoying him, but now they've decided the greatest game ever is chasing him around the house. He's older and not as quick to get away, and he seems pretty pissed off by the whole thing. So it's time to stop it. They completely ignore me as soon as they get bolting, nothing short of grabbing them helps. One's deaf and the one that isn't might as well be. The hearing dog does know a light "leave it" but it doesn't help.

My plan was to get the dogs on a short leash and have some enforced "be nice to the cat time" every day. I was thinking distract them with treats, praise, anything as long as they're ignoring the cat. Seem reasonable? Anyone have any other suggestions or ideas?

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 6, 2008

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Pineapple posted:

:words:

Okay then, but it won't hurt them...and I really think they enjoy crunching up ramshorns and small apple snails.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Corridor posted:

I've been having this problem too, what with a fatass stealing food not meant for him, except that he's perfectly happy with also polishing off his own. :btroll: He used to be a stray, and as such has no real sense of moderation. Thin cat free-feeds well enough, and when I put the food down he'll eat a few bites, wander off, then come back for more later when he needs it. Fatass, on the other hand, bolts it all down right away and then goes sniffing around for more, hence the fatness of his rear end. Right now I can just feed them both regulated small portions since I'm home most of the day, but lately I've acquired more of a social life and will soon be working full time, so there will be days when I'm just going to have to leave food out for them. Unfortunately, placing food on high places isn't going to work because Fatass is extremely active and agile, more so than my thin cat.

I could just leave huge amounts in both bowls to ensure my thin cat gets enough to eat, but then fatass will continue to grow fatter. And while locking them in seperate rooms would work for short periods, I do not want to do it all day because they each get upset when the other one isn't around.

I'm not expecting to find a magic solution on here, but eh, might as well post on the offchance.

Hmmm... how about separate feedings of wet food for Skinnycat before you leave in the morning and when you get home at night, and one of those automatic feeders to let them have dry food several times throughout the day? This one says it'll let you have up to eight "mealtimes" per day.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dei gratia regina fidei defensor

Camembert posted:

I just wanted to pipe in and say that I switched my cat to Innova Evo, and after a little while she became a little barfy and had diarrhea. My vet prescribed some sort of med to help firm her stools to be given for a week, plus a switch to the Science Diet Sensitive Stomach food. I wasn't too happy with the food quality, and after discussing it with my vet, she suggested that I could try switching my cat back to Innova Evo, and if that didn't work, try switching her to a different food entirely. I gradually made the switch back to Evo and my cat hasn't had problems since. Maybe your cat just needed a more gradual transition to the Blue Buffalo, or maybe you should try switching brands (gradually). That way, you can still feed both your cats the same food and keep it of a good quality. You should probably consult your vet though, just in case.

Interestingly enough, my cat started on Innova from his foster home. Innova is only sold at a local vet's here, so I decided to switch him to Blue Buffalo for convenience. I did it very slowly and he seemed to really enjoy his new food, but he had diarrhea for a month solid :downsrim:

I realize that Science Diet isn't the greatest quality, but I guess I just don't have the wallet or the patience to keep trying new foods on him. Either way, fat cat still steals his food and has gotten to the point that she absolutely will not eat her own food. I really don't know if I should put her on the same Science Diet or a whole new food altogether. (She just had to do this right when I bought a brand new expensive bag).

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

noelcat posted:

Interestingly enough, my cat started on Innova from his foster home. Innova is only sold at a local vet's here, so I decided to switch him to Blue Buffalo for convenience. I did it very slowly and he seemed to really enjoy his new food, but he had diarrhea for a month solid :downsrim:

I realize that Science Diet isn't the greatest quality, but I guess I just don't have the wallet or the patience to keep trying new foods on him. Either way, fat cat still steals his food and has gotten to the point that she absolutely will not eat her own food. I really don't know if I should put her on the same Science Diet or a whole new food altogether. (She just had to do this right when I bought a brand new expensive bag).

You know you can buy small bags, right? It's an expensive pain in the rear end to find the right food for your pet, but it really is your responsibility to find the food that is the best for your pet (even if it's not the highest quality - whatever gets the best results with your pet's health). If you can't afford good food, you can't afford the pet. Just like if you can't afford vet care.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
I'm going to bring this up again, just because it didn't get answered and because my kitty's still sneezing--not trying to be a pain in the balls, I just feel bad for him :( I called the vet and they said that as long as the discharge (snot) was clear-colored, which it is, he was probably okay. But he's been sneezing for a few days now, and is definitely more sluggish than usual, and less affectionate. Is this normal? It's never happened to him before, and I'm hoping I'm just paranoid.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Blue Scream posted:

I'm going to bring this up again, just because it didn't get answered and because my kitty's still sneezing--not trying to be a pain in the balls, I just feel bad for him :( I called the vet and they said that as long as the discharge (snot) was clear-colored, which it is, he was probably okay. But he's been sneezing for a few days now, and is definitely more sluggish than usual, and less affectionate. Is this normal? It's never happened to him before, and I'm hoping I'm just paranoid.

Colds in cats are usually caused by viruses, just like with people. There's nothing a vet can do other than supportive care, and maybe give you antibiotics for any secondary infections. You could try giving echinacea, or the olive leaf supplement my vet just gave us for our FIV+ cat. It's frigging amazing the change in Frankie since he started taking Oli-vet. It's not cheap, but a bottle costs less than an office call. We now give him one every other day and the only problem is getting the big capsule down his throat. Opening the capsule and squirting it down his throat is not an option - the poo poo tastes TERRIBLE, take my word for it.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

helpful :words:

Thanks, I'll look into that stuff. Appreciate it!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My wife and I adopted a 2 year old Irish Setter this past August (she was abandoned over night in a lady's yard EXTREMELY skinny and with a very young pup). Her name is Amber and she is an amazing dog. We keep her outside (in the back yard during the summer/spring) and for the winter months we moved her kennel (with insulated dog house - no door though) to our front porch in order to provide a little more shelter. We have fed her the same food since we got her (3 small scoops of dry food combined with a can of wet dog food) and we feed her twice daily along with random treats throughout the week (she really likes BusyBones). Last week, we decided to try something new and we brought Amber inside to sleep in our kitchen (only room with tile floor) that night. She did well throughout the night (whimpered some but no barking) and my wife woke up in the morning and brought her out and petted her before taking her back out into her kennel. A day or so later, Amber essentially stopped eating her food. She would eat a little, if any and that would be it; when normally she would clean the bowl out. Also, she does not come out of her dog house as much as she did before and I do not think she has been drinking as much water as she did before. We switched to only dry food because we thought that maybe the food was freezing before she could eat it but she will not even eat the dry only. Today, it was 60 degrees outside and she still did not eat. I have only gotten her to eat some cheese slices (she would pick those out of her food and not eat anything else)in the last few days. After I took her for her walk, she would lick water off of my hands but not out of her bowl and then she would just constantly lick my hands.

I have tried searching the internet to find an idea of what might be going on, but I have came up empty. So does anyone have an idea or has someone went through something similar. When I have a chance I will post her picture to the picture thread.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.
Your dog has been refusing to eat or drink normally since last WEEK. You need to take her to the vet.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

It has been 2 to 3 days so far...

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Here's an animal question not deserving its own thread:

Why do people have dogs and leave them outside, other than livestock guardian dogs?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Cuddlebottom posted:

Our dogs are being dicks to our cat. They always seemed to enjoy annoying him, but now they've decided the greatest game ever is chasing him around the house. He's older and not as quick to get away, and he seems pretty pissed off by the whole thing. So it's time to stop it. They completely ignore me as soon as they get bolting, nothing short of grabbing them helps. One's deaf and the one that isn't might as well be. The hearing dog does know a light "leave it" but it doesn't help.

Maybe a spray bottle of water? A shot of cold liquid to the face should stop them, unless of course they decide they like it. Mine did. :mad:

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Corridor posted:

Maybe a spray bottle of water? A shot of cold liquid to the face should stop them, unless of course they decide they like it. Mine did. :mad:
Hadn't thought of that - I should see if I can find a squirt gun...

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dei gratia regina fidei defensor

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

You know you can buy small bags, right? It's an expensive pain in the rear end to find the right food for your pet, but it really is your responsibility to find the food that is the best for your pet (even if it's not the highest quality - whatever gets the best results with your pet's health). If you can't afford good food, you can't afford the pet. Just like if you can't afford vet care.

No, I can afford it. I actually used to feed my cats Purina CatChow until I discovered Pet Island here on SA, and switched to Blue Buffalo when I realized that CatChow poo poo. But since my skinny cat loves his sensitive stomach Science Diet, I don't see a reason to try him on some of the "heavier" foods like Innova if there's a chance that it might make him sick again.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

Here's an animal question not deserving its own thread:

Why do people have dogs and leave them outside, other than livestock guardian dogs?

Because animals have amazingly survived throughout time in the outdoors. Also, because our landlord does not allow us to have animals inside (hell, we are getting around the lease just by having the kennel on the front porch)

But thanks for nothing, keep up the good work.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Because animals have amazingly survived throughout time in the outdoors. Also, because our landlord does not allow us to have animals inside (hell, we are getting around the lease just by having the kennel on the front porch)

But thanks for nothing, keep up the good work.

Then why have a dog? Just as a lawn ornament? I'm sure they'd much rather have a home where they could be inside with their people. And yes, while dogs have lived for ages outside, they haven't lived chained up to doghouses or fenced in pens so long.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Because we love her and want to keep her around. If it was not going to cost so much, we were going to fence in the backyard (of a house that we are only renting for a year) so she could have more room. It was either this, or the lady was going to take her to a shelter (which all of the shelters around here are "euthanize" shelters) so we were hoping to give her a better chance.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

maplecheese posted:

Your dog has been refusing to eat or drink normally since last WEEK. You need to take her to the vet.

Quoting for emphasis. If she normally scarfs her food down & now will barely touch it, there is something wrong. You need to take her to the vet.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
You live somewhere it gets below freezing. Your dog is not a livestock guardian or property guardian. Frankly, I'd rather see my own dogs euthanized than live like that. My dogs have their own couch, for christs sake.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

You live somewhere it gets below freezing. Your dog is not a livestock guardian or property guardian. Frankly, I'd rather see my own dogs euthanized than live like that. My dogs have their own couch, for christs sake.

She does protect our property....she really hates the mailman.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

noelcat posted:

No, I can afford it. I actually used to feed my cats Purina CatChow until I discovered Pet Island here on SA, and switched to Blue Buffalo when I realized that CatChow poo poo. But since my skinny cat loves his sensitive stomach Science Diet, I don't see a reason to try him on some of the "heavier" foods like Innova if there's a chance that it might make him sick again.

If Innova is available to you, how about California Natural, made by the same company (Natura)? That line is a lot easier on the stomach, as the ingredient list is basically meat source, rice or sweet potatoes, then vitamins.

Also, if you have any smaller local stores in the area, they may be willing to give a few days worth of samples so you don't have to keep buying bag after bag.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So far (knock on wood) Winston has been in great health in his 9 months of life, and is really starting to show just how big Maine Coons can get. He's already about 21" from the top of his head to his butt.

What I'm wondering is when would be a good time to get him checked up. Should this be a yearly thing? Twice a year? Only if something seems wrong? He's eating and drinking just fine, his coat is great, and hasn't seen a vet since he had his neuter/deworm/declaw (landlord's rules :sigh: ) about 5 1/2 months ago. I know eventually MCs are prone to joint problems as they age (especially their hips if memory serves), but is there anything else I should keep an eye out for?

Yoga
Jul 2, 2007

DJExile posted:

So far (knock on wood) Winston has been in great health in his 9 months of life, and is really starting to show just how big Maine Coons can get. He's already about 21" from the top of his head to his butt.

What I'm wondering is when would be a good time to get him checked up. Should this be a yearly thing? Twice a year? Only if something seems wrong? He's eating and drinking just fine, his coat is great, and hasn't seen a vet since he had his neuter/deworm/declaw (landlord's rules :sigh: ) about 5 1/2 months ago. I know eventually MCs are prone to joint problems as they age (especially their hips if memory serves), but is there anything else I should keep an eye out for?

As long as he's done with his shots, there is no reason to take him in for another 6 months or so. He needs a yearly exam, and to be taken in anytime something is wrong with him. Making sure he is on a good food, getting plenty of activity and maintaining a healthy weight for his frame is all that really needs to be done in terms of preventative care at this point.
Enjoy your healthy kitty.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a dumbass who doesn't know how to play with his cat.

Typo has been my kitty for about a year now (she was about six months old when I adopted her from my sister). Until recently she has been content to wrestle with my hand, or play with a sock or string dangled in front of her. The last game she seemed interested in was Attack the Christmas Ribbons. Now those games bore her. Anybody have some fresh ideas?

I only work 20 hours a week, but I feel bad about leaving her at home. I get bored enough in my own apartment; I can only imagine how bored she is. (Plus, I rarely let her out of the apartment, and even then I supervise.)

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Mastiff posted:

Now those games bore her. Anybody have some fresh ideas?
You can buy a $5 laser pointer at the checkout counter of most pet stores. It drives most pets absolutely insane trying to kill it.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Cuddlebottom posted:

You can buy a $5 laser pointer at the checkout counter of most pet stores. It drives most pets absolutely insane trying to kill it.

I'll have to try this. Others have said the same.

What about when I'm not around? What kind of toys might keep her occupied then?

Hidohebhi
Nov 19, 2006

"Do you know how hard it was to find 'a bangin' redhead'?"
Ok, so I woke up to two piles of...something this morning. My best guess is a case of assplosion or serious hairball issues. I've since cleaned them up and am monitoring the critters, but everyone seems to be doing ok; eating, drinking, using the box/going outside when I take her. My main question is, since my only pet illness experiences deal with respiratory infections and skin problems, what should I look for so that I can get them to the vet in time?

I'm assuming that since both of them are still being general pests and eating and drinking, they're probably still healthy, and that last night was just a fluke. But I'm still a little worried, since I'm pretty sure neither one got into anything that would cause stomach upset.

shabutie
Aug 19, 2005

Mastiff posted:

I'll have to try this. Others have said the same.

What about when I'm not around? What kind of toys might keep her occupied then?

My cat goes nuts for any kind of rattling ball type toy, although it drives me crazy when I forget to put it away at night and he finds it at 3am.

Banjos4Hobos
Jun 22, 2006
My cat (~2 years) has been attacked by something that's caused puncture wounds around 3 inches from her spine, each side - two on one, one on the other. This happened last Wednesday - since then she has had two abcesses cause by the wounds (and has been to the vet three times).

Currently on one side, she has a really raw open sore as no-one picked up on the other side of her being hurt when she was first investigated, it was only found today. There was obviously a pretty big abcess that had burst last night or today and left, well, a hole.

She hasn't been given one of those big plastic collars so she is licking both sides constantly. I'm worried this might stop it healing up so quickly. Has anyone got any advice about what I should do to try to make her more comfortable and speed up the healing? I have kitty ibuprofen and antibiotics to give her, just wondering if there's any other tips.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
We recently found out that our dog has a tumor in his chest. The vet pointed out the tumor in the xray, but I was wondering if someone here could label a few of the proximal organs for me. I think I can make out the heart, but after that I'm stumped. I have to go to a specialist to learn what our options are :(

(click for huge)

TheGreatFezini
Jun 19, 2004

swim swim HUNGRY
I have a question about nail trimming and being restrained. I know everyone emphasizes playing with puppy's feet so they don't go apeshit when their nails need to be done, and I have tried playing with my dog's feet but he still doesn't really like getting his nails done. However, he'll be perfectly civilized about it as long as he's not tightly restrained. I just put him on the couch or bed and he lays there and lets me do his nails. The worst he ever does is pull back a bit or try to put his nose in my face so I can't see what I'm doing.

I took him to the vet for his annual rabies vaccine and they noticed his nails were a bit long and offered to clip them, so I said sure and just told them not to restrain him - just let him sit or stand on the grooming table. They took him to a back room and when they brought him back he was shaking and one of his feet was bleeding. Personally I think that's inexcusable because he was white nails and it's very easy to see the quick. They said he was very misbehaved and that's why they had the cut the nail too short. If he was being that bad I wish they would have just brought him back, because I can do it easily enough at home.

I realize I probably shouldn't have let them take him to a separate room and I'm not going to let them do his nails anymore, but should I worry about him being more used to being restrained? I wish the vets were more open about dealing with him and not holding him so tightly but they say it's their policy. He fusses when he's restrained for shots and having blood drawn too. I don't know how to train him to accept it - I can hold him in the same way they do at the vets but he doesn't really care if I do it. He just stands there sort of confused and after a while he'll start squirming a bit, but if someone else holds him he almost seems to panic, even if I'm present.

EDIT: For reference, Wrigley is a corgi. I've heard people say that corgis are picky about their feet but he doesn't seem any more fussy about his feet than any other dog to me.

TheGreatFezini fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 12, 2008

RhondaPiper
Dec 1, 2004

Don't make me get sick into my own scorn.
n

RhondaPiper fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 7, 2017

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
We just got a new kitten who was a stray and is about 3 months old. She weighs 4lbs and while she is very, very sweet she is also very, very skittish.

We have two larger cats (15-20lb cats) and a small dog (9-11lbs) and haven't had a kitten this size in a very long time. We're afraid that if we let her loose in the house, especially when we're not home, we'll lose her or she'll get hurt.

Does it seem inhumane to keep her in a large crate when we're not home? The crate is big - a larger one to keep maybe 4-5 ferrets in it. It's from our neighbor who does wildlife rescue.

Lopside Fundip
Aug 15, 2001

Shnooks posted:

Does it seem inhumane to keep her in a large crate when we're not home? The crate is big - a larger one to keep maybe 4-5 ferrets in it. It's from our neighbor who does wildlife rescue.

I don't think it's inhumane, it's a smart way to start introductions. People get really wigged out like "OMG CAT IN A CAGE" but honestly, as long as she isn't in there all day long, she's already way better off than the cats at the pound.

Kittens are curious, open the door when you are home to monitor interactions and she'll come out to explore at her own pace. It's better than traumatizing the poor little thing and gives her a place to feel safe while she gets used to the new noises and house traffic.

I don't like to give small kittens full run of the house anyway. They have incredibly bad ideas and no matter how much you kitten-proof, they will find a way to do the dumbest thing possible.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Lopside Fundip posted:

I don't think it's inhumane, it's a smart way to start introductions. People get really wigged out like "OMG CAT IN A CAGE" but honestly, as long as she isn't in there all day long, she's already way better off than the cats at the pound.

Kittens are curious, open the door when you are home to monitor interactions and she'll come out to explore at her own pace. It's better than traumatizing the poor little thing and gives her a place to feel safe while she gets used to the new noises and house traffic.

I don't like to give small kittens full run of the house anyway. They have incredibly bad ideas and no matter how much you kitten-proof, they will find a way to do the dumbest thing possible.

Yeah, I didn't like it was so inhumane, but I wasn't sure. Usually during the day we stuff her in our sweatshirts and let her look around a bit and get used to the huge environment :) If we let her out she panics and runs back under my bed or under some equally large object.

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.
Do all cats get those "fat pouches" under their belly? I've been trying very hard to regulate my cat's food so that she doesn't get overweight, but when I was petting her belly when she was standing up, I noticed that she was starting to get a small "fat pouch" (what do people call this?). She's not very old, about 10 months... is this a sign that I'm over-feeding her, or is this something that all cats develop to some degree as they mature? It's obviously not huge like you would see on an obese cat, and I just noticed it there.

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Camembert posted:

Do all cats get those "fat pouches" under their belly? I've been trying very hard to regulate my cat's food so that she doesn't get overweight, but when I was petting her belly when she was standing up, I noticed that she was starting to get a small "fat pouch" (what do people call this?). She's not very old, about 10 months... is this a sign that I'm over-feeding her, or is this something that all cats develop to some degree as they mature? It's obviously not huge like you would see on an obese cat, and I just noticed it there.

Sometimes spayed cats just have a saggy tummy. When viewed from above does she have a definite waist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.

Pineapple posted:

Sometimes spayed cats just have a saggy tummy. When viewed from above does she have a definite waist?

Yes, her line goes in before her hips start, so I guess that would be her waist. She's longhaired, so it makes it a little more difficult for me to just look at her and say she's the right weight. She's also the first cat I've ever owned, so I don't really have any previous experience to make a comparison to, except for my friend's rather obese cat (which is why I'm so paranoid about ensuring she doesn't get fat). She was spayed at about 6 months, so maybe it is just that.