Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

shits.ridic posted:

Hello, can everyone post what amazing piss-blocking mattress pad you use (and a link if possible)?
My dog is reeeally old and she's starting to leak pee on my bed. I thought the helldump thread might be a better place to ask because it's prob full of errant pissers and shitters. Buuuut I don't want to shame my dog, she's just really old :sigh:
e: to clarify, it needs to not only block pee, but hold up to frequent washings. This isn't for a guest bed.
If you haven't consulted your vet yet, it may be helpful to know that there are cheap, safe meds that work really well to make old female dogs not leak pee on your bed or elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Is there any thread in here regarding dogs with inexplicable, recurring seizures? My friends and their dog are having a real hard time.

Details:
- He's a four year old boxer pug
- diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy
- prescribed Phenobarbital, Potassium Bromide, and Keppra). The meds never seemed to be completely helpful, nevertheless, they kept his seizures at bay (amounting to roughly one every 6-8 weeks
- Since November without any known reason, he has had 9 separate episodes of cluster seizures varying between 5 and 12 Grand Mal seizures in a row (each episode roughly 10 days apart). 

They're being put through the wringer with vet bills and i want to help em out financially, but I thought maybe some goon on here might have experience with something similar and could also provide advice? Would be better than just giving them some money, which will only help until the next round of vet bills.

They had mentioned they were interested in trying CBD oil, but they would need to wean him off his current meds.

wearing a lampshade fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 8, 2017

shits.ridic
Dec 31, 2015

Crooked Booty posted:

If you haven't consulted your vet yet, it may be helpful to know that there are cheap, safe meds that work really well to make old female dogs not leak pee on your bed or elsewhere.

That's weird, I did take her to a vet when this started happening but they didn't mention it. I'll call them and ask.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

albany academy posted:

Is there any thread in here regarding dogs with inexplicable, recurring seizures? My friends and their dog are having a real hard time.

Details:
- prescribed Phenobarbital, Potassium Bromide, and Keppra). The meds never seemed to be completely helpful, nevertheless, they kept his seizures at bay (amounting to roughly one every 6-8 weeks
- Since November without any known reason, he has had 9 separate episodes of cluster seizures varying between 5 and 12 Grand Mal seizures in a row (each episode roughly 10 days apart). 

They're being put through the wringer with vet bills and i want to help em out financially, but I thought maybe some goon on here might have experience with something similar and could also provide advice? Would be better than just giving them some money, which will only help until the next round of vet bills.

They had mentioned they were interested in trying CBD oil, but they would need to wean him off his current meds.

I suppose they could try a second opinion at a different vet? If the meds aren't working perhaps someone else would have different ideas. You could see if any vets in the area specialize in this condition. Do you know why he would need to be off his current meds to try CBD? We sell CBD treats at work and have never had a problem mixing them with other meds, but I have to admit I am pretty ignorant where that is concerned.

Unfortunately, we get a lot of boxers and pugs with similar health issues where I work :( They're just not particularly healthy breeds. I would say there's no problem giving them a bit of cash, but like you said, this is a problem that may never get better and is likely to continue costing them quite a bit of money over time, and depending on the kind of people they are you wouldn't want them to begin to expect financial help unless you are prepared for that. If his seizures become more frequent, his quality of life deteriorates even further, and your friends are draining their accounts....well, where they go from there is up to them. You're a really great friend for wanting to help but I honestly don't know what more you can do besides being supportive.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

I saw this here today on Cerro San Cristobal in Santiago, Chile.

I am guessing that it is a Chilean Rose Tarantula. Does anyone with more spider expertise know?

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

albany academy posted:

Details:

Needs a neurologist if he doesn't already have one. Whatever woo vet is telling them they need to wean off of meds to try CBD is full of crap. Weaning off meds while seizures at this bad is NOT a good idea. CBD probably doesn't really work in dogs anyhow. But, needs a neurologist to manage him for sure. He's a refractory epileptic. That's the "reason" he's having seizures so often. Some epileptics are harder to manage than others. There are also things like rectal valium that they can talk about with their vet to manage clusters at home, but really needs to adjust meds +/- add another med with a neurologist involved.

Sekhmet fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 23, 2017

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

I'm preparing my apartment and life for fostering this March, and I have a climate question related to lugging tiny kittens around: does anyone have any suggestions for a good insulated carrier that a small woman could haul around for a few hours?

If I end up bottle feeding I'll need to keep the kittens with me if I go to class on certain days (I can do feedings at school) but I'm worried because I live in the frozen Canadian prairies and I don't want to carry them in a typical plastic carrier and end up with kitten popsicles.

Ideally it'd have pockets for formula, wipes, etc., and if it's small that's better still. Basically a mobile kitten nesting box with storage space and insulation is what I'm looking for.

WearTheLilac
Mar 5, 2017

Tiny Deer posted:

Ideally it'd have pockets for formula, wipes, etc., and if it's small that's better still. Basically a mobile kitten nesting box with storage space and insulation is what I'm looking for.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasi...88925408&sr=1-3

We bought an identical model at our local pet store, and it has fostered many kittens within its depths. It's very light, but there are wires keeping it more-or-less rigid. There's a plastic sheet within the terrycloth bottom, which can be removed for ease of laundering. It's also forgiving of the occasional bump or squish when navigating doors or crowded hallways.

The shoulder strap is a godsend when walking around campus, too.

We included a nuked sock full of rice, and a LOT of towels.

Like seriously. With three kittens, you will go through a full box of wipes, and a couple towels besides, every day that they're away from easily laundered towels.

I just had a capped formula bottle in with them, because there's extra room if they're super tiny, and with all of the towels it didn't roll around too much. There are no pockets, but the formula fits inside fine, and there are too many paper towels/wipes/hand towels to fit comfortably in a light carrier, anyway.

Re-microwave the sock full of rice at the student cafeteria mid-day, if you can manage, and check them for pee/poop every hour.

Bonus points if you find a sucker who will watch them for an hour or two as you get your food. One of my classmates was new at this fostering thing, and me offering meant that I had a study buddy for the entire quarter.

Good luck, and don't forget about KES!

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
I took my dog out this morning, and after she came back in, she suddenly started shaking her head and holding her left ear down. (The inner ear was also slightly red.) The behavior continued; since it came on so suddenly, I was afraid that she'd gotten something lodged in there, so I took her to the vet in the afternoon. The vet looked in her ears and found nothing, though; an ear cytology also turned up zip. They used ear wash to clean out her ear and said to monitor the situation, but that they thought it was just a stray hair or something (with the vet tech saying her dog had been in similar situations that just resolved naturally).

She's still shaking her head and bothered by it, and I'm anxious, of course. Has anyone had any similar experiences? The vet who did the exam was the kind of ehh backup vet instead of her usual vet (who was booked), though I can't imagine this sort of check-up is complicated. I just find it odd that this issue was caused so suddenly and yet whatever's causing it isn't immediately apparent. (The vet mentioned possibly anesthetizing her for a really deep look in the ear if symptoms persist but was skeptical it'd turn up anything.)

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

So in my neighborhood everyone is a really terrible dog owner. Lots of people let their dogs just chill in their yards but the dogs aren't well trained enough to stay in their yards. Basically every time I walk Lily I have to let her sniff everyone in the neighborhood on the way. This isn't a problem for most of our neighbors. Their dogs are calm and friendly so my dog is calm and friendly. Lily very much reflects the attitudes of dogs around her. She's great at not pulling when we pass people walking their dogs, she's polite when greeting other dogs who are polite when greeting her. But when a super hype dog runs up to her she gets super hype and wants to chase them. Like not "play with them" but like "herd them like they're sheep and this is her job." Which not everyone responds to well, obviously.

Basically, there's this one dog who, whenever she's in her yard and I get to the bottom of my driveway with Lily, immediately climbs the fence to come over and play. This dog is very friendly but a bit skittish so she's like Lily's ideal dog/sheep chase buddy. My dog goes ballistic when she sees this dog, worse than she acts with any other dog ever. I have to literally drag her home and give up on walking her because this loving dog will prance circles around us the whole 2 miles like a cute, fluffy jerk. Then she runs circles around my yard hyping my dog even more who obviously refuses to come inside because the party is outside.

We live near a busy street and I have now called animal control on this dog twice because I've been unable to catch her or herd her back into her own yard and I really don't want her to get killed by a car. My neighbors apparently aren't doing poo poo. They literally put some loving chicken wire on one part of the fence to stop her from getting out and I watched her climb it today myself. Useless. So now they've paid like $800 in fines for this dog when it would be so much cheaper to get an invisible fence. Or not leave the dogs alone outside when you weren't home. Or crate her inside when you're at work. Literally anything but dumping her in the back yard and letting her jailbreak herself on the regular.

What should I do about this? I feel really bad about all the fines they're paying but its not safe for a dog to be roaming around. It's also lovely of them to let their dog constantly inconvenience me. She can see my house from her yard so I literally can't walk my dog at all if this dog is in the yard because she follows us. Again, a sweet non-aggressive doggy who just wants to play with my rear end in a top hat dog but it's a huge loving pain.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Offer to buy the dog from them? It's not being walked and has too much energy, so this is going to keep on happening until they can't afford the fines and give her up.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Two questions.

1. We have a black squirrel living around her. How rare are they anyways and whats good to feed them? I've been putting out stale peanuts and sunflower seeds as well as some apple chunks and them seem to link those well enough. I think I read that they're roughly 1 in 10,000 but that it can vary depending on the area and if they're being bread there too.

2. Fair warning this one is rather :nms:. Saw this video of a horse eating a baby chick and I'm wondering :wtc: is up with that and why the horse would do something like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnYNmGMsU18

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

A lot of "herbivores" will actually eat meat if given the chance - squirrels and deer are surprisingly large predators of bird nests.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

OneTwentySix posted:

A lot of "herbivores" will actually eat meat if given the chance - squirrels and deer are surprisingly large predators of bird nests.

Yeah, "herbivore" basically means "an animal that mostly eats plants but will eat meat if it's easy enough". Rainbow lorikeets in Australia will happily steal barbecue meats and slices of ham from picnics, despite only eating nectar and other plant products in the wild, and horses loving love sausages and bacon and it's not unheard of for them to snap at and eat smaller animals that are annoying them (or just if they think it would be good for a laugh). Horses and cows will definitely eat the occasional chicks, ducklings, etc that are kept in the same place as them and will gleefully scavenge eggs from nests. The main thing keeping most herbivores from eating the occasional animal smaller than them is :effort: pure and simple.

e: I'm a vegetarian and I know that most "vegetarian" animals are happy to eat meat if it's slow enough

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 21, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
So my mozambique Rain Frog got bit on the arm by a cricket and its missing some skin there and he hasn't been himself. i have been treating the wound with neosporin and I have moved it to a smaller cleaner container, i am worried because he not eating, but he seems calmer he sleeps a bunch streached out with his wounded arm held up. usualy he buries himself to sleep but because of the arm he hasnt. the wound does appear to be getting better though. i am just wondering if their is anything else i should do. my gf(who is massive herper) and her step dad say i am doing enough, but i want more opinions. also i wanted to know if they have special diets. i have had him for a few months and i assume he was eating the pinheads i was giving him but any sugestions?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Tracula posted:

Two questions.

1. We have a black squirrel living around her. How rare are they anyways and whats good to feed them? I've been putting out stale peanuts and sunflower seeds as well as some apple chunks and them seem to link those well enough. I think I read that they're roughly 1 in 10,000 but that it can vary depending on the area and if they're being bread there too.

It depends on where "around here" is - the D.C. area has boatloads of black squirrels. I suspect the same stuff that normal squirrels eat? I'd probably go with sunflower seeds?

tardsteak
Jul 26, 2007

You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.
Hey everyone, my sister's French bulldog ate "part of a cube" of d-con rat poison about an hour ago and her vet isn't answering his phone. She lives in Alaska and doesn't have access to an emergency vet. Told her to induce vomiting with peroxide but she's freaking out and I trust my fellow goons much more than yahoo answers. If anyone can give me something to tell her that would be awesome!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

tardsteak posted:

Hey everyone, my sister's French bulldog ate "part of a cube" of d-con rat poison about an hour ago and her vet isn't answering his phone. She lives in Alaska and doesn't have access to an emergency vet. Told her to induce vomiting with peroxide but she's freaking out and I trust my fellow goons much more than yahoo answers. If anyone can give me something to tell her that would be awesome!

I don't there's anything anyone other than a vet can do besides induce vomiting. If she has activated charcoal on hand sometimes people use that but really it's vet time as soon as possible. Good luck pupper, warfarin poisoning is no good.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I just finished bagging up a possum family and it's getting old. One of my dogs is a non stop murdering machine. Sweet dog, never has nipped or shown any malice to any people but she is 35 lbs of small animal death. If I had to guess it's because we stopped going to the dog park after some my son was born but she gets daily walks and multiple play trips outside in the backyard as well so I don't think she is that starved for attention. The doggie door is closed at nights to prevent the nocturnal animal killing but she will grab squirrels off the fence during the day and a random bird flying by as well. This is now a weekly occurrence and I don't want to resort to locking her inside all day. To make matters worse my big dumb bully mix likes to participate in the kill by rubbing himself over the deceased. I live next to a park designated as a wildlife sanctuary so the animals won't stop coming and the yard is about a 1/4 of an acre so it has a ton of area for these animals to constantly make their home. The biggest take down so far is a racoon and that scared the poo poo out me when I found it.

Any advice or training resources? I really don't want to close the doggie door but seems to be only option since I can't​ exactly reason with a dog on the sanctity of life

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have two Siberian Huskies and when my wife or I are outside hanging out in our unfenced yard it would be great if they could hang out too instead of staring painfully out the window. I've looked into dog anchor stakes and all I've seen are ones that anchor deep into the soil. Does someone make one where you can pour a little cement circle into your yard (like for a basketball hoop but smaller) and use that to anchor? I'm too paranoid to use the soil based ones since these dogs have obviously had generations of pulling really hard on poo poo bred into them and the breed in general loves to run far away if they get loose. Bonus points if the anchor part is removable so that I can like mow over it and stuff.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Any advice or training resources? I really don't want to close the doggie door but seems to be only option since I can't​ exactly reason with a dog on the sanctity of life

You can't really train away prey drive that intense (generalized to all wildlife- sometimes you can change the dog's idea about what is and is not "prey" in household settings with specific animals or pets (see this article: http://dogsdigdirt.com/calming-a-high-prey-drive-in-dogs)); but, you can channel it into other activities. A couple walks a day may not be enough for a high-drive dog (it's not really about being starved for attention.) Look into lure-coursing or flyball- activities that rely on prey-drive, but allow the dog to engage in it in a controlled way. They also learn to listen to you while in that chase/ hunt/ drivey mode. A tired dog is a good dog. I would personally pair this with closing the dog door, though, and just having supervised yard time. If your dog is monitored in the yard you can work on reliable recall, but it can be extremely difficult, maybe never 100% reliable, in prey hunting situations. Some dogs kill things though, and it's just normal. My guy just took care of a house mouse this morning. :shrug:

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Does someone make one where you can pour a little cement circle into your yard (like for a basketball hoop but smaller) and use that to anchor?

Mount the tie-out stake in a five-gallon bucket of cement and bury it?

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

learnincurve posted:

Offer to buy the dog from them? It's not being walked and has too much energy, so this is going to keep on happening until they can't afford the fines and give her up.

She's an avid fence climber and quite skittish which isn't something I want in a dog.

She got out again this morning when I tried to walk my dog and the owner came and tried to catch her for like 15min once I knocked on the door before giving up and wandering home. I explained to him that his dog was a pain in my rear end and reminded him that it's not legal for his dog to be off leash OR in my yard. That she was cute and sweet but she was pissing my dog off by chasing us on our walks and running around my fence for hours. He was a very overburdened looking dadly type of guy but said he'd ordered an electric fence. Hopefully, that will solve the problem. He also wasn't mad I called the pound when I explained it was because she was in the street and running around in my yard for hours, said they loved her at animal control because she's such a sweet cutie.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
One of my dogs jumps on the couch every time we leave the house. We have two dogs, and the hard rule is "no dogs on the couch", but only one disobeys, and only when we aren't around. She knows it's off limits, and every time we come home, she is seen fleeing into the back of the house, and hides from us in fear. There is always a big warm spot right next to a wet patch from her licking. What can do about this? Put things on the couch when we leave? She has a very nice large dog bed of her own, the other dog has his own too, and they lounge around on them all the time when we're home. This is a problem because of the level of dog hair on the couch, and she has a neurotic tendency to lick the sofa until it is soaked in one spot, a behavior she learned from a previous, highly hosed up rescue dog we had years ago.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Millennial Sexlord posted:

One of my dogs jumps on the couch every time we leave the house. We have two dogs, and the hard rule is "no dogs on the couch", but only one disobeys, and only when we aren't around. She knows it's off limits, and every time we come home, she is seen fleeing into the back of the house, and hides from us in fear. There is always a big warm spot right next to a wet patch from her licking. What can do about this? Put things on the couch when we leave? She has a very nice large dog bed of her own, the other dog has his own too, and they lounge around on them all the time when we're home. This is a problem because of the level of dog hair on the couch, and she has a neurotic tendency to lick the sofa until it is soaked in one spot, a behavior she learned from a previous, highly hosed up rescue dog we had years ago.

Put a cover on the couch.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Maully Millions posted:

Put a cover on the couch.

I figured we could do that, but that's it huh? Alright, makes sense.

Edit: oh you meant to keep the dog hair off. That's incredibly unhelpful, thanks though.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

You can't really train away prey drive that intense (generalized to all wildlife- sometimes you can change the dog's idea about what is and is not "prey" in household settings with specific animals or pets (see this article: http://dogsdigdirt.com/calming-a-high-prey-drive-in-dogs)); but, you can channel it into other activities. A couple walks a day may not be enough for a high-drive dog (it's not really about being starved for attention.) Look into lure-coursing or flyball- activities that rely on prey-drive, but allow the dog to engage in it in a controlled way. They also learn to listen to you while in that chase/ hunt/ drivey mode. A tired dog is a good dog. I would personally pair this with closing the dog door, though, and just having supervised yard time. If your dog is monitored in the yard you can work on reliable recall, but it can be extremely difficult, maybe never 100% reliable, in prey hunting situations. Some dogs kill things though, and it's just normal. My guy just took care of a house mouse this morning. :shrug:

Thanks for the advice and the link. That's exactly what I was looking for.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
From the same people who brought you bricks in front of the refrigerator, My parents spent many decades doing stuff like removing parts of the sofa or putting dining room chairs upside down on them every time they left the house. For a few years they were flipping the sofas and chairs forwards. Presumably while cursing the decision to buy an open plan house. If you cant lock them in a different room then it is your only real option I'm afraid.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
My Grandad is having to make the same discovery as his Maltese terrier/poodle recovers from a spinal operation. If you don't want your tiny mountain goat of a doggo hopping up onto chairs and sofas, you have to dismantle them, turn them around so doggo can't get up, or put barriers on them. It sucks having to remember it and the doggo in question will make sad faces at their favourite game being taken away but you must do it if you want your couch hairfree or your dog's delicate spine intact.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
If your dog isn't injured then you should just give in and get them their own couch.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Good luck training out instinctual prey drive even when you are not present for the behavior to self-reinforce.

there's these spikey mats you can get , I got them for $1.50 at Daiso, to keep cats/dogs off things. Basically an upside down computer chair plastic coaster thing. there's an electronic shock one too, scat mat. but you'll have to remember to put these things on whenever you are not using the couch, and remove them etc.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 20, 2017

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

I figured we could do that, but that's it huh? Alright, makes sense.

Edit: oh you meant to keep the dog hair off. That's incredibly unhelpful, thanks though.

Well, yes, but also if they lick the couch and make it grody, it is much easier to wash the cover and ungrodify. Sorry for not being helpful :(

But also.... your dog(s) will probably get up on the couch when you're gone no matter what you do. Mitigating the damage may be the only option.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Squeegees, dry, are actually not that bad at removing pet hair when dragged across couch pillows. I think it helps if the squeegee is kind of new, thus a little tackier.

Also, there is stuff you can spray on things that you don't want dogs licking/chewing on. What I got is called "Bitter Break" and apparently has a bad taste, but did not stain/discolor the couch, but you should test it. It won't keep the dog off the couch, but it might keep the dog from licking the couch. My dog was licking a patch of carpet under my desk. This stuff not only stopped the licking, but the dog's only purpose going under there apparently was to lick, so now he doesn't go there.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Best glucosamine-chondroitin brand?

I understand it may or may not work, but my vet recommended it for my 11 year old basset. I've noticed her getting stiff lately.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Start with Dasuquin for a few months. It's stupidly expensive compared to just standard supplements from the store, but supposedly has more bioavailability for dogs. Once you've established that it does seem to help your dog, then switch over to cheaper stuff and see if you still get the same results.

Doing it this way is better than starting with cheap stuff, because if the cheap stuff doesn't work, you may get the false impression that gluc/chon just doesn't work for your dog.

Then again, of course, some dogs don't seem to respond at all to any of it anyways.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

A friend of mine just bought some ghost shrimp and has discovered that one has a parasite. She's separated it from the rest but not sure what to do now. Would the ethical thing be to euthanize it? Or let it live out it's life in a plastic cup?

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

I have a question, which may or may not have already been asked in this thread. I skimmed through the thread to make sure, but I may have missed it if it has already been brought up. If so, forgive me.

So, the situation is this: I am moving flats very soon, and I will be taking my cat with me. Is there anything that I should be particularly aware of (other than stress, of course)? Any specific things I should be doing/not doing to make the move as smooth as possible for the cat ? I've done a bit of research on the internet, and the thing that comes up quite often is put the cat in a separate and closed room, with all her stuff in there (litter, food, water and toys) while the move is taking place, and then move the bedroom stuff and the cat last, but the problem I've encountered with that, is that in my current flat, my cat is generally in the main room, and not in my bedroom or bathroom, which are the only available rooms I could place her in during the move. Will that be too much of a change for her, or should I stick to that strategy anyways ?

Also, the main concern isn't the actual move because I'm not moving very far, and she has travelled before. It's getting her used to a new place. She was fine when I took her to my parents' house over Christmas when she was still a kitten. Other than a little complaining during the drive over, she found her litter box no problem and had fun roaming around the new surroundings, so I'm hopeful this will be the same. She's coming up to 2 years old, if that's of any use.

Thanks in advance for any help ! And apologies again, if this has already come up in the thread and I happened to miss it.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I would leave out her carrier for a few days so she can get reacquainted with it before the move.

I am sure she will be fine in your bathroom or bedroom even if she doesn't hang out in there all the time.

I would do the same thing when you get to your new place. Set up all her stuff in a closed off room so she can get used to it slowly. Then let her explore once she seems curious/ not scared.

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

Sierra Nevadan posted:

I would leave out her carrier for a few days so she can get reacquainted with it before the move.

I am sure she will be fine in your bathroom or bedroom even if she doesn't hang out in there all the time.

I would do the same thing when you get to your new place. Set up all her stuff in a closed off room so she can get used to it slowly. Then let her explore once she seems curious/ not scared.

Well the good news there is that her carrier is always out because it kind of lives on a sofa, so she knows what it is and I have caught her moseying up to it on several occasions. Also, thanks for the heads up on the bathroom thing. It's relatively big so she won't feel too cramped in there, and she has locked herself in there in the past (accidentally of course) but she seemed pretty chill about the whole thing.

The bad news is that I won't have a closed room to put her in once we get to the new place, other than the bedroom which she won't have access to. The kitchen and living room will be her main residence and that is an open area that we've planned to let her explore under supervision once everything has already been moved there. It's not great, but it's the best strategy we have under the circumstances.

Thanks for the reply though, I'll do my best !

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I just watched a goddamn fox catch something in my backyard and then spit it out. Is this just a mouse or what?

:nms: for dead rodent thing

In Minnesota if that helps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
Looks like a mole, maybe? Are its front paws YUGE?