Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
We have rescued a little baby squirrel from Irma. Unbelical still attached, covered in fur. What do you feed them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
Edit: no umbilical cord. It was just debris. We e got the little squirrel warmed up but still no idea about care

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.

mister magpie posted:

We have rescued a little baby squirrel from Irma. Unbelical still attached, covered in fur. What do you feed them?

Esbilac, the replacement puppy milk you can get at pet stores, just a tinier amount.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I couldn't find the critter quest thread so I'm asking here. What type of caterpillar is this? I'm in southeastern US, eastern Alabama to be specific.

He's all green with what looks like little orange dots and feels like single stiff hairs sticking out of each of the dots . He has ten pairs of legs. The right side is his head.

Edit found critter quest but leaving this here.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 18, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I was going to make a long as post explaining my tough situation but instead I'll first ask if there are better threads for the following animals because I can't seem to find them:

- Axolotls (I assumed the freshwater thread at first but it seems to only be for fish and inverts?)
- Hermit crabs (terrestrial, in this case)
- Crested geckos (adult and juvenile)
- Tarantulas
- Frogs

Failing that I want to know what to expect when it comes to keeping these animals in a room that's going to be experiencing a lot of vibration and noise. The room they're going in is newly renovated, but renovations are still happening elsewhere in the building and outside 24/7 (yes, weekends and evenings) for the next several weeks. Right now the plan is to put them on dampers, but that can only do so much.

It's going to stress them the hell out and I hate it. I'm worried particularly about the axie and spider because I know they'd be especially sensitive to this kind of thing. Unfortunately we're running out of options on what to do here.

I know the ideal answer is DON'T but to shorten a long, exhausting, and enraging story about my workplace I'll just say that right now it's actually our best option so we want to make sure to keep them as healthy as we possibly can in this situation. It's driving us loving mad.

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

Do any cat people here know why my cat has suddenly taken to peeing on my bed ? Before you ask, yes, the litter box has been freshly replaced and hadn't even been used before the bed was peed upon. Also, yes I am planning on calling my vet to see if I can get an appointment asap because she might be ill (it's currently 5am and all of this started around 10 pm so I couldn't exactly call any veterinary clinics at that hour).

Nothing has really changed around my place so I doubt it could be environmental anxiety or something, but I had some people over for my birthday (not the first time cat has come into contact with these people) that could have upset her routine.

She peed directly onto my foot no later than this evening so there's clearly something wrong, but I couldn't say what it is. She's also strangely wound up too. Not full on aggressive and attacking me, but she clearly sin't acting like she usually does. Is anyone here able to enlighten me ? I would be very grateful.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Sounds like when my Oscar had urine crystals. Hope you don't mind administering sub cutaneous fluids!

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

Hopes Fall posted:

Sounds like when my Oscar had urine crystals. Hope you don't mind administering sub cutaneous fluids!

Update: Called my vet and explained the situation this morning. She thought that Momo is just stressed out because there have been a number of changes around my flat this past week and suggested calming pheromones. Went to pick them up today and she confirmed that her routine has been really badly upset since I'm currently off work as well (as strange as it may sound, Momo is used to my leaving at night and coming back at 7.30am and since that's not happening either, she's freaking out) but it definitely doesn't sound like she's ill or anything so the vet recommended that I try the pheromone-diffusing plug for now, and if there is still no noticeable change in two weeks, then I'll have to take her back to the vet and have a check-up.

Thanks for your advice Hopes Fall :)

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Horsey McHorseface posted:

pheromone-diffusing plug

Fingers crossed it's just stress! Oscar came and peed on ME while I was doing my own business one day. Fluffy little Bastard. Sub-q isn't the worst. You get to poke them and tease them for being camels for a while.

Oscar and Trinity love the Felliway poo poo; we got one after we moved. The only real downside to it is that it attracts ants. According to the internet, the oleic acid (?) it uses is the same stuff ants use to signal each other. I went to refill it one day, and it was a literal crawling mass of them; they were coming out of the wall through the sockets.

And that's how I learned my apartment has an ant problem!!

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

Hopes Fall posted:

Fingers crossed it's just stress! Oscar came and peed on ME while I was doing my own business one day. Fluffy little Bastard. Sub-q isn't the worst. You get to poke them and tease them for being camels for a while.

Oscar and Trinity love the Felliway poo poo; we got one after we moved. The only real downside to it is that it attracts ants. According to the internet, the oleic acid (?) it uses is the same stuff ants use to signal each other. I went to refill it one day, and it was a literal crawling mass of them; they were coming out of the wall through the sockets.

And that's how I learned my apartment has an ant problem!!

Well status report after first night. No pee on bed or any other places of note. Day's not over yet though so still unsure. She seems unusually scared though...
Last night was cute though, she hopped up onto the blanket we put over the bed (since she peed on the winter duvet, we've had to resort to using the thinner, summer duvet, so blankets are in order) which I had previously sprayed with catnip, and for the first time in ages, she started making biscuits on my leg and purring like a tractor. Felt hella good.

Thanks for all the suggestions and support :)

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
My turn.

Trinity threw up foam 2 or 3 times on Monday night. Yesterday she threw up foam 6 or 7 times; I don't know if she ate anything.

Today she walked over to the food bowl, looked at it abd puked again. She threw up in the carrier on the way to the vet, and at the vet.

Vet weighed her, took her temp, palpitated her stomach, checked for foreign bodies under her tongue, 2 views of x rays of her abdomen, and bloodwork.

She's lost .8 lbs since her last visit in September of 2016, her temp was a little low, showed slight dehydration, bloodwork was all within normal ranges, and x rays showed no linear objects.

Vet gave her an anti-nausea shot and sub qs, and sent us home with a few cans of a bland wet food, told me to wait a few hours for the drugs to work, and then try to feed her.

She won't eat the bland food room temp or warmed, we cracked open tuna in water, no interest.

Going to call the vet again in the morning. Any brilliant insight or advice? I'm really worried about my little old lady cat. (Not that old. She's 10)

Edited this morning to add:

We closed her into the bedroom with us with food, water and litter last night. She didn't touch any of them, and mostly hid under the bed. She's a snuggled. She's drooling, and the other cat has started hissing at her. What. The. gently caress. Is. Wrong. With. My. Cat.

Hopes Fall fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 7, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I noticed my dog (~75-pound mutt) was licking at his rear paw a bunch, did some investigating, and saw he had a scrape on the side of one of his paw pads. It didn't look too bad, and it's on a spot that doesn't hit the ground when he walks, so I just got an Elizabethean collar from the vet to keep him from licking. Getting a full inspection would have required sedating him; he's a rescue and does very poorly with strangers. For the most part though he's been leaving the paw alone, and he doesn't appear to be in any distress.

I decided to take a second look just now, and grabbed a photo:

It doesn't look (or smell) infected, but it does look raw enough that I'm now a bit worried about infection striking. In particular, I'm dropping him off at a kennel tomorrow to start my one-week vacation. I can swing by the vet if necessary on the way in; do you think they'd prescribe antibiotics if they saw that photo? If it's going to get fine on its own as long as he leaves it alone, then the collar is all that's required. If I don't get antibiotics, I'd ask the kennel to keep an eye on him; if they say he's getting worse, I can come in during the middle of my vacation to take him to the vet. The kennel people are pretty good with difficult dogs, but I doubt they could inspect his paw as closely as I can, though, so I'm not really sure they'd be able to tell if he was getting worse.

Bleh. The timing on this is pretty rotten.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
It appears to be healing nicely, I wouldn't bother with antibiotics. But yeah, most doctors in this situation would dispense them if you asked. Starting antibiotics at a time when your pup is already stressed could lead to GI upset though, and if he wises up to his pills being hidden in food/treats, a kennel may not be able to pill a difficult dog anyway.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
It will probably heal fine on its own. I wouldn’t make him wear the Ecollar at the kennel though, it will add stress and isn’t necessary if he’s leaving it alone.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks, I think I'll still ask the vet for a second expert opinion. Just that bit of extra peace of mind.

One thing I'm grateful for with Pavlov (that's the doggy) is that he's pretty easy to pill. I usually just wipe a bit of peanut butter on the pill and it goes right down; I'm sure he'd swallow pills in a pill pocket too.

Here, have a photo.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Weird and random question: Is there a reason a ThunderShirt would make my dog into a lap dog?

My partner bought our dog a winter jacket "as a joke" (totally not a joke; he's a closet dog clothes person) and arguably to keep him warmer on camping trips, and it's a slightly-stretchy fleece number that's pretty similar in design to a ThunderShirt. We both thought he'd hate it and never want to wear it, but he loves the loving thing.

He's normally a little on the anxious side, even after training, but with the jacket he's a 13/10 chill dude. His anxious behaviors are dialed way back, he's less reactive, all good so far.

Except… with the jacket on, he has suddenly developed a desire to sit all 70 pounds of his shepherd mutt rear end on my lap. Though he is a velcro dog, he has never sat on anybody's lap, least of all in the years my partner and I have been together. Even with the jacket, it's only my lap. Take the jacket off and he immediately goes back to his normal non-lap-sitting, less-handler-selective habits. What the hell, Heavy Petting?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So I am planning on moving from the US to Europe and I would like to take my dog with me but I am not sure if it is the best choice for him. He is getting on in the years at 10 years old and just slightly to big to come with me into plane cabins. I refuse to pack him into the cargo hold for such a long flight so I think the only way would be a fairly long road trip-cross Atlantic boat-road trip type setup. This would obviously be super stressful for him so I’m a bit hesitant.

The problem with leaving him with my mom is that she is absolutely awful at pet care. She feeds him mainly leftovers with the philosophy of “if humans can eat it dogs can too”, this includes poo poo like spicy food, chocolate, and grapes. She hates modern medicine and apart from vaccinations she starts getting really pissy with me she hears about me taking him to the vet for any other reason. So if anything happens to him I don’t expect her to go to a vet. But she does have a big house with plenty of space for him to live in vs an apartment in an European city.

I really want to take my dog with me but I’m not sure what to do. I feel like a monster thinking about leaving him behind but a great educational opportunity opened up for me there and it’d be pretty dumb to not take it. :smith:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Is there anyone besides your mom you could leave the dog with?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is there anyone besides your mom you could leave the dog with?

Not really :smith: most of my friends and family are really spread out

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
This question usually just results in laughter, but...does anyone have any tips for brushing a dog's teeth? Puppo is 8 months old now and I've been brushing them two to three times a week for two months like the dog toothpaste says to but every single time is a fight. :shittydog:

I'm assuming it's just one of those things he'll hate forever and eventually I'll get better at it or he'll hold more still but I figured I could try to ask.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I (try to) brush my dog's teeth every morning, with limited success. My dog doesn't hate getting his teeth brushed, though; he just wants to eat the toothpaste. One thing I've found that helps a bit is to hold the top of his snout with one hand (thumb on one side, pointer finger on the other side, gently pinching) while the other hand wields the brush. That makes it harder for him to turn his head; hopefully it slows him down enough that the brush spends more time on his teeth than it does on his tongue.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Freakbox posted:

This question usually just results in laughter, but...does anyone have any tips for brushing a dog's teeth? Puppo is 8 months old now and I've been brushing them two to three times a week for two months like the dog toothpaste says to but every single time is a fight. :shittydog:

I'm assuming it's just one of those things he'll hate forever and eventually I'll get better at it or he'll hold more still but I figured I could try to ask.
A) Good on you for doing it. Saving your pup a lot of pain and health issues, and saving yourself a lot of money on dental cleanings.
B) Start from scratch, just giving the toothpaste as a treat for awhile, without brushing. Try a new flavor to make it more exciting. Slowly transition to just rubbing the toothpaste on the teeth with your finger, and then switch to a brush.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I just give Tater Greenies because I'm lazy :/ But six years on the vet compliments him on his teeth every time so eh.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

My mom found this toad(?) hopping around her house today. She assumes it became active again due to the increased temperature in my area (Southeast PA) over the weekend. Unfortunately it's now snowy and below freezing so putting it outside is probably certain death for the little guy. Does anyone know what species it is? Do they do well in captivity? She wants to take care of it until she's able to release it though doesn't know a ton about amphibians.

edit: Not a lot there for scale, sorry. it's not especially large. Maybe a couple inches across.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 18, 2018

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Sankis posted:

My mom found this toad(?) hopping around her house today. She assumes it became active again due to the increased temperature in my area (Southeast PA) over the weekend. Unfortunately it's now snowy and below freezing so putting it outside is probably certain death for the little guy. Does anyone know what species it is? Do they do well in captivity? She wants to take care of it until she's able to release it though doesn't know a ton about amphibians.

edit: Not a lot there for scale, sorry. it's not especially large. Maybe a couple inches across.

Looks like a gray tree frog, if it is then the internet suggests it can be frozen drat near solid and not die so it might actually be ok outside. If you keep it warm you're going to have to feed it since it'll be using more energy.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What pet would be appropriate for me?

Different species (genuses?) have different needs and behaviours not immediately obvious to petless people like me. I'm curious what you folk might think would be compatible, I'm keeping an open mind for options I might not have thought of.

I live alone, own my house, have a yard. Money is not really an issue. I'd like a dog but I know it would be problematic as I either work from home or from client offices in London and that changes frequently, so I have to plan for the worst case scenario of not being home from 8-6:30.

I'm not super into very passive animals like fish, lizards etc, and I'm a morning person so I'm likely not around when a nocturnal animal is awake. Companionship has always been important to me with animals.

Should I just buy a big box of rats?

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yes.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I mean, I'm not opposed.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A box of cats would also be acceptable

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My only minor hesitation with cat(s) is that none of my doors are suitable for a catflap so I'd have to cut a significant hole in one of the newly finished walls, possibly two for access front and back. Not out of the question but something I'll have to consider.

I know these forums have conflicting views on indoor vs outdoor cats but this is in the UK where it's the norm, and my garden is already the stomping grounds of several neighbourhood cats. Let's not get into that debate if possible.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 21, 2018

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hey man you asked. I don't know much about ferrets or rodents, so it seems like cats are the best fit for what you described. That's all.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Hey man you asked. I don't know much about ferrets or rodents, so it seems like cats are the best fit for what you described. That's all.

Yeah as I say I'm still open minded about it. The thing about indoor/outdoor wasn't directed at you so much as a general plea :)

Cats are a definite possibility. Mostly I'm looking to cast a wide net at the breadth of experience in this forum so I can open myself up to possibilities I wouldn't have thought of and get steers away from species that I might not know aren't a good fit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Of course. I wish I had more recommendations tbh.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

What pet would be appropriate for me?

Different species (genuses?) have different needs and behaviours not immediately obvious to petless people like me. I'm curious what you folk might think would be compatible, I'm keeping an open mind for options I might not have thought of.

I live alone, own my house, have a yard. Money is not really an issue. I'd like a dog but I know it would be problematic as I either work from home or from client offices in London and that changes frequently, so I have to plan for the worst case scenario of not being home from 8-6:30.

I'm not super into very passive animals like fish, lizards etc, and I'm a morning person so I'm likely not around when a nocturnal animal is awake. Companionship has always been important to me with animals.

A dog isn't a bad option if you can afford to hire a dogwalker, or take it to daycare on days when you have to go out. Especially if you work from home some of the time.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

My only minor hesitation with cat(s) is that none of my doors are suitable for a catflap so I'd have to cut a significant hole in one of the newly finished walls, possibly two for access front and back. Not out of the question but something I'll have to consider.

I know these forums have conflicting views on indoor vs outdoor cats but this is in the UK where it's the norm, and my garden is already the stomping grounds of several neighbourhood cats. Let's not get into that debate if possible.

You can get catflaps you can fit in a window, either cut into the glass or ones that fit into a partially opened sash. Also, and I realise this sounds mental, I'm in the process of training my cat to use a doorbell because I can't modify the exterior of my flat at all, and I'd to make it easy for him to go in and out when I'm home.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

A dog isn't a bad option if you can afford to hire a dogwalker, or take it to daycare on days when you have to go out. Especially if you work from home some of the time.

It would have to be every weekday, is the thing. I can usually work from home one or two days a week, but the full time WFH stuff is a pendulum that swings back and forth with different clients. It's likely to swing back to commuter life start of April.

The people at the rescue made a good point about the people-centric nature of dogs in general and that perhaps it's not best for the animal if I'm going to potentially be out all day.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Discipline Question:

Backstory: I have a 10 year-old Cocker Spaniel, Phoebe. She is left in the care of my mom about 10-11 nights a month while I work overnights. Phoebe also lived with my mother before I moved, with a similar issue.

FILE PHOTO

--------------

Problem: When Phoebe stays with my mother, she loses all her toilet training. She runs off and uses any corner as a bathroom. She's even urinated at their feet while on a leash directly after a walk. Phoebe behaves the complete opposite with me. I am not sure why, much less how to fix it. She isn't abusive towards Phoebe as far as I know, but is verbally nasty and refuses any of my suggestions. I have suggested keeping Phoebe on a leash with her at all times, as my home is much smaller and Phoebe is out of my sight less. I have also suggested newspaper and traditional shaping behaviors. My mother refuses to do either, citing "she should know how by now" and other bits of circular reasoning.

Questions:

1. What reasons would cause Phoebe to act perfectly trained with me, but not with my mother? I will give more information if requested.

2. What types of training can help shape her housewetting?

3. How can I convince my mother to put in like, even a little effort toward maintaining Phoebe's training?

----------

Thanks for reading.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I am not a training expert, but I'd guess that your mother's refusal to put in effort is the crux of the issue. Phoebe's learned that when she's on vacation with mom, none of the rules apply, because there's nobody around to enforce them. Fixing that is going to require enforcing rules. If your mom isn't willing to do that, then you'll have to find somewhere else to board her that will. It might help if you could get your mom to accompany you to a session with a dog trainer. Get that outside, expert opinion on how to deal with a misbehaving dog.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, that sounds about right. My mother has always been very insistent she knows best when it comes to dogs despite the fact that I raised all three of her cocker spaniels and took them with me when I moved. Training her to train Phoebe is an uphill battle. I think you're right to look into alternative boarding/dogsitting options. I just need to find the extra money and someone willing to work with my odd schedule (a typical 2 weeks will have me working M, F, Sa, Su, M, F). Thanks for the insight. I think I just needed to hear it from a third party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I have a 7 year old male yellow lab, neutered, and he's had a sensitive digestive system since he was a pup.

I've been feeding him Nutro Lamb and Rice for years which generally worked well in avoiding the loose stools he is otherwise prone to. Something changed though, I think they changed the formula or something, cause now he's back to getting loose stools. I fed him boiled chicken breast and white rice for about a week which was great for firming things up, but the loose stools returned as soon as he went back on the Nutro.

So I need a new dog food... something that's good for a dog with a sensitive digestive system/loose stools. Any suggestions?

edit:

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 26, 2018