Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
So I tried my own thread for this a while back, and it didn't really work out.

It appears that my 5 year old mini-dachshund has Multiple Disk Disease, and several weeks ago she lost use of both her of hind legs. After a couple of vet visits and some crazy medication schedule, she had surgery this past Monday, the vet removed the disk crushing her spine, or whatever it was. I'm at school, 400 miles away, so I've only seen her once since this whole thing started. She has a chance of walking again, but I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Shamurai posted:

We got a dauchsund recently, rescued from a pet shelter. He wasn't abused in his previous home, which is what makes this habit so weird. There are times when we call him, and he will simply stand still, stare at you and make incredibly high pitched yelps, for no reason. there seems to be no pattern to this and I can't tell why he does it. can anyone offer some advice ?

A. Dachshunds are stubborn as hell.
B. One reason dachshunds don't shut up when yelled at to is because they like joining in. They think you are barking with them. He may just be talking back to you.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
We never crate-trained our dogs before; but now one of the three needs to be crated for about the next four weeks. Any tips on making it not seem like a punishment? Lucie barked for so long this morning she eventually started panting and fell asleep. We have food, water, a chew toy, and blankets in there with her. Any tips?

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

mind the walrus posted:

Hi, I don't come around these parts a lot but there was a minor emergency in my pet life about an hour ago and because the family veterinarian isn't returning our calls I figured this might be a good place to get some food for thought.

My question is whether or not it is a good idea to think about putting her down very soon or if a 'wait and see' approach might benefit her.

My family put down our GSD Wolf-Spitz dog, Brutus, a couple of years ago. He was 17 at the time, and had had I think 3 or 4 strokes. The first caused his one ear to droop halfway, when he'd always had up-ears. I thought it was pretty cute.
That's sort of beside the point. Brute seemed to be pretty happy most of the time, and we only put him down when the vet said he was only likely to continue getting worse. It's possible she can be around, and happy, for a while yet.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Yiggy posted:

So my cat loves to play fetch with small round things he can fit in his mouth.
Anyone elses cat do this?

My cat, Trinity, likes to play with hair ties. She'll pick one up, come sit nearby, meow, and drop it. If you throw the hair tie, she'll bring it back over and over again. It's awesome. And as an added bonus I never need to look for a hair tie, because there's almost always one nearby. :)

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

jbone posted:

Thanks. That also reminded me of kefir, which also contains probiotics, has no or minimal lactose, and I know my cat loves. :)

Kefir is a yogurt-drink, last I checked.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

jbone posted:

It's similar to yogurt, but it's not yogurt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir

My Babushka's been lying to me! All these years!

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

RazorBunny posted:

Or, you know, get hypothermia, because the ONLY time our cats ever seemed to get stuck in trees was in the dead of winter.

Catsicle.

My solution was to call the fire department where my dad volunteers. When they wouldn't come, we sent my step-brother up the tree. When he got stuck and couldn't get down, we called the fire dept. again. Voila, cat (and man) out of tree.

This was after she'd been up there about 5 days.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

mumblingscrapwaver posted:

Even if it was a $2000 leather couch, I'd be concerned, but... over litterbox liners?

Leather couch, hell. My dogs and cats have destroyed our leather furniture and all my mom had to say was, "we should really buy some dye to mask those scratches."

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
My younger sister is looking for a female guinea pig (or possibly a neutered male) to bond with a young female she just bought. We've been trying petfinder and craigslist, but some of the listings are sketchy, and a lot are pretty drat far away. We prefer to adopt rather than buy from a pet store, but the search is getting old pretty quickly. Does anyone know of any good rescues or the like in/near Monmouth County, NJ?

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
So this may be a one-time event, but I thought I'd ask.

I just got back from separating two of my dogs from attacking one another. This has never happened before, ever. Lucie is a 6 year old Mini-Dachshund, and Pattie is an almost 2 year old Pomeranian, and they were just going at each biting and snarling in a way I have never seen. After I separated them, Pattie went back for another bite too. Neither of them had a chance to break skin, thank God.

If I had to guess, Pattie tried to get Lucie to play, and when Lucie warned her off, Pattie persisted and Lucie bit at her. Lucie has been really off lately, she has medical issues and I'm currently weaning her off Prednisone per the vet's orders. I've never seen her snap like that, figuratively or literally speaking. Lucie is crated right now, just in case. Any advice in case this is repeated?

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
This is less of a question and more e/n but goddamn I wish my family would stop with the pets already. It's like an addiction or something with them. I love animals, I have my own dog, but there has got to be an end somewhere, right?

My younger sister talked my mom into a "new" (5 year old adopted) cat today, and an adopted guinea pig yesterday. Including these new additions we now have 3 dogs, 3 cats, 2 guinea pigs, 2 parrolets, 1 rat, and multiple fish. This is only a condo for God's sake!

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Ditto on the above, but we're integrating a 5 (perhaps only 4, she is petite, but her teeth show wear) year old adopted lady cat to our current nearly 2 year old male and female cats. Zoie hid in my sisters room for 2 days, has started wandering out, and I keep hearing intermittent rumblings and hissings. The male just looks at her and walks off, but Trinitie has already batted at her. They're currently sitting about 4 feet apart, feet tucked in with occasional tail-flicks, staring one-another down. Damnit, ladies!

Edit: I've got Zo in my lap. She has a scratch on her nose. Double-damnit, Trinitie. This poor cat. My house is the 7th place she's been shunted to in less than 2 months. She's been in and out of several homes, foster homes, and the adoption agency. My family plans on keeping her.

Hopes Fall fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 17, 2009

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Does anyone have any tips for a constipated dog? My dachshund has been having some constipation lately, and I really don't like giving her the Lactolose the vet prescribed all the time. Is there anything I can add to her food to encourage things to move along?

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

RazorBunny posted:

The standard recommendation here is plain canned pumpkin.

I thought that was what I had read, but then I wasn't sure if it was for diarrhea, apparently my one aunt used a tablespoon of canned pumpkin daily with a dog who had major diarrhea problems to good end.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Whoo! My pomeranian was just diagnosed with urine crystals. Fantastic. New food time.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

drat Bananas posted:

A question of my own: I don't live with my dad, but I just found out that they have a flea infestation among their 2 large cats, 1 tiny cat (like the size of a 4 month old kitten), and large dog. They accidentally put the large dog flea treatment on the tiny cat! They came home and she was having seizures, and rushed her to the emergency vet and everything, had to stay overnight, get an IV, all kinds of stuff. Since I don't live there and only got a brief run down over the phone, my mind is racing with nonsense "Yeah, but!! But!! BUT OMG KITTY!!"
Can anyone tell me more about what exactly happened, her chances of being okay, is she out of the woods yet if they sent her home, etc etc etc? Out of all the cats I've ever had she's my least favorite (not a people-cat) but I'm so worried right now! She's the reason I'm a goon! ("halp halp cat is preggers" -> "yay kitten!")

My mom accidentally did this to a cat of ours, and it did not end well. It was a few years ago now, but the cat spent a few days at the vet, went temporarily blind, and when she was finally well enough to come home was a total klutz. She regularly misjudged jumps, would fall off of things. It messed her vision up pretty badly. One time after that we tried putting cat flea-repellent on her, but she had apparently developed a hyper-sensitivity and had more seizures.

After that, we no longer used flea-repellent on her. She only lived a few years after her accident, she died when she was 4 or 5; we had taken her to the vet for her yearly vaccinations, and she had a fatal heart-attack in the car on the way home (we paid for the post-mortem to be ascertain what had happened; the final word was "stress"). She died in my younger sister's arms as we raced back to the vet. Morgan was pretty badly messed up because of the dog flea-repellent. She lived a pretty decent life, but I wouldn't be surprised if the heart-attack was due to the dog meds too; I think she had major systemic damage.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

RazorBunny posted:

Honestly, dogs don't do things to spite you. He's probably got some level of separation anxiety that is resulting in him having a lot of tension, and when you get home he's getting excited/anxious/upset and it results in accidents.

I can't say that I agree with this at all. The first time I left my mini-dachshund alone for more than a few days she completely ignored me on my return. That night, as I went to slip into bed, I noticed something wet under the covers... The little brat had wiggled under my covers, pissed enough to soak the sheets, mattress, and pillows, and wiggled back out in such a way that the blankets looked undisturbed. A few years later I went off to college, and she still ignores me when I come home on breaks. MY family calls me "the ghost," because Lucie will turn her back to me, walk away when I call her name, and generally act as though I don't exist. She knows what she's doing, and no one can convince me the vindictive little snot is acting otherwise.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

lemonlime posted:

My dog Zoe became paralyzed in her hind legs last Sunday due to disk disease. I had her in to the vet first thing Monday morning, who shot her up with a muscle relaxer and morphine, then shipped us right off to the neurologist. Currently, she is taking prednisone, tramadol, diazepam and phenoxybenzamine. She is also on several weeks of round-the-clock bed rest in the hope that she will recover enough to live pain free. So far, she's showing improvement.

I was wondering what the best and healthiest way to handle her urinary incontinence would be. I have been expressing her bladder every 6 to 8 hours, but while she makes a big puddle every time, she's still leaking a fair amount into her bedding. (She's having no problems at all with her bowels, other than needing me to keep her from toppling over mid-squat.)

My solution to this so far has been to place a towel over the thick comforter that she's using as a bed, changing it every time I take her out. However, the urine seeps through to the comforter, which is considerably harder to launder than towels so I can't do it every day. I'm considering picking up some puppy pads to place between the towel and the comforter. There's also the option of putting diapers on her.

Which of the two choices - diapers or pads - would be less likely to lead to skin problems for her, like rash or burns? Any other suggestions?

Both of my mini-Dachshunds have been through this - I blame my mom buying from a BYB. Lucie was first, and my moron of a vet gave us steroids and told us to wait a month to see if the swelling would go down. By the time we saw a neurologist she has permanent damage, and a 90% chance of dying during surgery. We operated anyway. and now she can sort of wobble around. Charlie we knew what was going on and he's made a full recovery. My family is a bunch of lazy bums who find it easier to express her than help her recover, so she still needs/gets expressed. When I'm home I just walk her until she gets it on her own - it takes a while but she is capable. I try to express her after every walk just to be certain she won't get a UTI.

Anyway, we basically did what you're doing, changing out towels in the crate 2x a day. I know Lucie is a substantially smaller dog, but we express(ed) her every 3-4 hours; the less there is in her bladder, the less she can leak. She did have some urine-scalding for a time, but with attention to clean, dry bedding, and loyal application of her creams and medicine she stopped having UTIs and skin problems fairly early on.

My little pirate wishes your prisoner luck!

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Auracounts posted:

Until I got my own, I wasn't aware cats exhibited these behaviors either. Susake taught ME how to play fetch, it wasn't the other way around. Ours follow us around the house, greet us at the door, and have little weird cat conversations with us. Honestly, only Gemini fits the stereotype of aloof princess kitty in this house, so I'm not sure why cats have that reputation as a whole.

My cats are that way as well. Trinity taught us that if she drops a hair tie on the floor, we are meant to pick it up and throw it so that she can bring it back. If you don't throw it, she'll go find a different one, so sometimes you'll look over and see a small pile of varying sizes and colors of hair ties and a very plaintive cat. I'm fairly certain there isn't a hair tie in my home that hasn't been in that cat's mouth.

Oscar likes to greet us at the door, or wander by and hang out. Our only princess is Zoe. She asks to sleep under the covers, but other than that she doesn't want us to so much as look at her without her permission.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

ShadowCat posted:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn!

I know that this doesn't address your question at all, but drat. He is one handsome devil of a cat.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Universe Master posted:

Which would be easier for a first time dog owner, a young dachshund-mix or an slightly older rat terrier-mix?

In my experience, dachshunds never shut up. Ever. And if you yell at them to shut up, they bark more. It's exciting that you're talking too! And they're one of those breeds that really can't be trusted off-leash. They were bred for years to smell the badger/etc and GO. My one girl would sit if you can get her attention (good friggin' luck), but the boy will not stop for anything.

And because my mom was dumb and got puppies from her friend (BYB like wow), they both ended up with multiple disk disease. We didn't catch it early enough in Lucie and even though she had the surgery, she's parastethic and incontinent. We knew the signs with Charlie, so all he has is a surgery scar and a slight limp.

Of course, mine are admittedly not well trained, but these are pretty common dachshund traits regardless which you may want to consider.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

wraithgar posted:

I've heard kool-aid suggested as something that you can use but have not done any research personally into whether or not this is actually safe, or just one of those things that's often repeated as being safe while in fact being harmful.

My sister dyed her hair with kool-aid in when she was in 5th grade, and she didn't die or anything. She did boil the water first and put it in while still really hot; this apparently takes it "temporary" to "permanent".

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Fascinator posted:

Is there anything that's plush, has some body to it (she doesn't like it when they're flat), and will withstand the sharp teeth of the mini dachshund? Preferably without stuffing?

If you find something, let me know! The only thing my girl hasn't murdered in her creepy little way is a tiny stuffed bear I gave her to snuggle with when she was a puppy.

It doesn't matter what kind of stuffed animal it is, she always chews off the feet, ears, and eyes and lays them out in a straight line on the floor. Then she carefully opens up a hole in one seam and pulls out all the stuffing. Once she's done with that, she chews the empty toy until it's mushy and shapeless, and then she is no longer interested.

One thing we've had decent luck with (although not a plushie) is the Bad Cuz. It squeaks and it took her a couple of months to chew the feet off and remove the squeaker. I suggest it as a special-time toy though, it's loud and irritating as hell. It definitely stood up to her pointy little dachshund teeth rather well.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Fascinator posted:

You sure your dog isn't a serial killer in the making? :)

Mine just shreds them. Shaking, tearing, throwing. It's very visceral.

I'm actually more than half convinced she's a reincarnated serial killer. With the exception of the one teddy bear, she's done to that every stuffed animal I've given her since she was a puppy. And when I say she lays the appendages out in a straight line, I mean a perfectly straight line. You could take a ruler to it. She has an eyeball left over from a stuffed lamb she has once. She'll occasionally dig it out of the toy-basket and carry it around for a few days. She's kinda creepy sometimes. :)

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
I was wondering if anyone knew roughly how much a teeth cleaning for my dachshund would be? I called the vet I normally go to today, and they gave me some line about needing a $45 visit to check her out and asses her teeth, before scheduling the actual cleaning, at which time they could give me an estimate. The Internet is saying anything from $100-$500.

I started brushing her teeth recently, just a little bit every few days which has helped a bit, but man does she have some build up. My vet mentioned at our last visit that I should consider a cleaning, and since it's tax-refund season and all, I figured this would be a good time as any.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

I have my dog's first dental scheduled next Wednesday, and I will tell you about the quote I got beforehand. I go to a cheap (but great!) vet, so maybe take these rates with a grain of salt, and of course it will depend on where you are located too. I'm in the Chicago area.
Hope this helped.

Yep, it did, thanks! She's a 9 year old Tweenie, so I'd definitely consider 'opting-in' on the pre-testing. I'm fairly confident in that area, because she has had quite a bit of surgery in the past; she had (has?) that degenerative disk disease Doxies are oh-so prone to, and ended up getting neurosurgery to walk again. We're in Central Jersey, so I imagine the rates would be fairly comparable.

Dr. Chaco posted:

The "line" they gave you about needing an exam first is because the estimate for cleaning will be much different than the estimate for cleaning and extractions. Also, dental procedures can take 30 minutes, 4 hours, or anywhere in between, depending on what needs to be done. In addition to increasing the cost and the estimate, they need to know before scheduling it approximately how much time to allow for.

It is not uncommon for me to give dental estimates in the 800-1000 range, but I also live in an area where almost no one does preventative maintenance/regular cleanings, only salvage procedures once there are rotten teeth. A straight-forward cleaning on a young dog might be $200-250, including anesthesia.

And it would've killed them to either tell me that, or spend 5 seconds to look over her file, since we already go there, and the doc saw in November for her vaccines? I understand the need for an assessment; this obviously isn't as straight-forward as, say, a human's yearly teeth cleaning, but even just having them say 'It can range from x to y' would've been nice. Thank you, for the explanation though.

And kinda unrelated, but I feel as though my little Stinkerbell actually has more build-up in the years since we switched to Blue. Is it softer or something?

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
How often can a kitten/cat go into heat?

My roommate's cat is not neutered and she's been posturing and yelling all day. I'm fairly certain it's only been a few weeks since the last one, and it feels like it must be too soon. I'm going to lose my mind hearing poor River scream all day.
(Disclaimer: my sister and I have been trying very hard to get him to take her for a spay; our two cats have been since we first adopted them several years ago.)

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Ugh I'm going to kill myself. It's been so long since I had a cat that was in heat; I'd forgotten how much it makes you just want to kick the little bitch. Thanks for ASPCA link - I emailed it to him, printed it out, and taped it to his door. I don't think I can get any more straight-forward about this.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I have a question in regards to crickets, that is keeping/raising them. Back when I was in college I caught a cricket that was up on the sixth floor of our dorm room. It was late September and I decided to put it in a small plastic fish tank we got from the student association. It lived through to mid-November on bits of fruit and veggies. I found it deflated under a rock, though I'm not sure if it was my fault or just a natural death.

At any rate it's chirping was great and made me think of summer in the gloomy late fall days. I don't have the room for a large animal in my current housing situation and I would love to be able to keep a cricket again. I know only the males chirp and I think the diet I had him on was fine. What I'm curious is about is just where should I get my cricket? I could wait until the summer to catch one I suppose but it's tougher in the urban environment I'm living in right now to find wild areas. Would store bought crickets intended as food serve my purpose or do those not chirp? Also what would be an ideal living situation for one?

If this should be made into a thread or reposted elsewhere let me know. I don't think it's that important just yet.

My sister kept crickets to feed her leopard geckos for a while (she switched to roaches recently, ugh), and trust me. The store bought feeders will NOT shut up. You can't make a cricket not make noise. It's not possible. She just kept them in a glass aquarium (with a lid, they climb and bite!) with some egg crate and threw in veggies every so often. There's also this stuff you can buy at the pet store that absorbs water and looks like gel they can drink from without drowning in, and a cricket food/water product, but I don't have any experience with that. I honestly don't see any reason you couldn't keep a couple as pets though.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Greycious posted:

Lol, I must have completely missed this, but before I talk about the crickets, Hopes Fall you should be happy your sister switched to roaches, unlike crickets they don't smell god awful, and they don't make noise. Most species kept as feeders are tropical species and can't infest homes if they get loose (unless you live in a tropical climate..) They are better in pretty much every single way.

I remember how bad the crickets smelled, and I don't care. The cat knocked over the drat box of roaches (blatica dubia, so yes tropical) 3 weeks ago and we spent half the night ripping the house apart hunting them, then the next day emptying it out and moving everything so we could bomb. It was really horrible, and I would rather the stinky crickets any day of the week.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

We have ants in the house. We put out poison for the ants. My cat is not bothering the poison, but apparently likes the taste of ants and is now licking them off the floor like an anteater. He is not sick, but, uh, is this ok?

We are using the Terro ant bait.

This is NOT ok.

Remove the ant traps. Monitor your cat for any weird behavior, vomiting, hiding if he's friendly, unusual poos, etc. If any of those come up, it's vet-time.

Buy yourself a bag of diatomaceous earth - I use it for all bug-related dilemmas and it's safe for use around pets, small children, and the like because it's not poison. Lowe's has 4 pound bags marketed as 'Crawling Insect Killer' that are like $9.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

We adopted a fiveish year old dachshund beagle mix from an abusive home a couple of months ago. He's been wonderful for the most part, but over the last three to four weeks he's started balding on his chest and stomach.

He now has a totally bald patch about 3 inches across. My question is, should I be worried or is balding common in older dogs? My past dogs never had this problem, and we had them until they died of old age, but 2 isn't exactly a huge sample size.

My 10 year old dachsund has a balding, not bald, chest. Vet didn't seem worried at the last visit. I guess she's just a hair-dog, and rubs her chest on everything - like dudes with bald ankles where their socks rub.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Quidam Viator posted:

Ok, this definitely doesn't need its own thread, but I don't know of any better place to ask. We have a wonderful 6-month-old dachshund puppy, and when he decides we're in danger (a neighbor walks outside, he sees his own reflection, etc.) a ridge of hair stands up on his back! My wife and I are just curious if this is a normal thing, because we've never seen a dog other than an actual Rhodesian Ridgeback do the whole hair-standing-up thing. Has anyone else seen this in mini-dachshunds?

Thanks!

My mini dachshund literally hackles down her whole back she sees a threat (a leaf in the wind, a child on a bicycle, a dog happy to see her). I've tried getting pictures, but I am a shoddy camera-woman, and Lucie is wriggly.

And may I take this moment to remind you of the dachshund-owning mantra: No Stairs, No Chairs, No Climbing, No Jumping.

Learn it, love it, live it. Welcome to owning an incredibly stubborn, intelligent, and bossy breed. Good luck.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Carnival Rider

Lucille Ball mini-dachshund extraordinaire sends you good thoughts. She had spinal surgery in 2007, at the age of 3, and is still rocking and rolling. She walks like a drunken sorority girl missing a heel, and sometimes needs to be expressed, but she walks!

My best advice to you is to be very vigilant about following the crate rest and steroids (I assume) your vet will prescribe. If you don't already crate, it may seem cruel, but the healing process requires rest, minimal movement, and as much reduction of swelling as possible.

And try not to sweat the statistics! I didn't find out until after the fact, but the vet told my mother Lucie only had a 5% chance of coming out of surgery alive, let alone walking. So there is hope.

Here she is hating to wear clothes:

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
So, my 10 year old mini Doxie has had ~5 laryngeal spasms in the last 2 days. She was diagnosed years ago, and gets them occasionally, but usually more like ~2 a month, rather than multiple in days. I'm worried by the sudden increase in their frequency. I walk her on a harness, and I haven't been able to identify a trigger; we don't burn scented candles; and she's getting them lying down in her crate, begging for food, on a walk. I can't find a common cause.

I made a vet appt. to discuss my concerns, but in the meantime does anyone have tips for dealing with them? I already speak softly to her, rub her throat, and try to relax her.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

MrConfusedTurkey posted:

As far as I've read, there's really not much you can do, since it's a problem with cartilage collapsing (if my understanding is correct?). My advice is to maybe cease walks until after you see the vet, as I would think that any exercise or strain in her respiratory system may be inducing it/making it worse, even when she seems to be calm. If it's becoming more frequent, I believe that surgery may be the only option for relief, although with the type of surgery it is, even after she recovers she will be far more prone to diseases like canine pneumonia and debris entering the lungs. I really hope she does okay, I wouldn't worry too much until you know what the vet says, as the surgery, I believe, is a worst-case scenario.

Thanks for the info.

Lucie went to the vet today, who actually prescribed hydrocodone to give as needed. Based on the side-effects I'm seeing, I'm definitely going to be sparing with it, but if it helps, I'm happy. He did mention 'it might make her drowsy,' which I find hysterical, seeing as the lazy little thing sleeps ~15 hours a day anyway. She's more of a cat than anything else.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Invalid Octopus posted:

Rats are nice.

Rats are GREAT, but very smart. You need to play with them a lot, and give them little puzzles to solve. And if you're only up to 'mild' levels of intelligence in a pet, that's a problem. They're freaking geniuses. Also. Like 4000% of female rats get cancer, and 3000% of male rats end up with degenerative hind ends. And a long lived rat is not very long - so if you want a pet that's not a lifelong commitment it's good, just be prepared for a dozen little heartbreaks. Yes, a dozen. Because they need friends, you can't have just one. And when #1 rat dies, #2 is lonely, so you get it #3, who eventually needs a #4. Then sometimes you pick up siblings. And suddenly you're converting Ferret nations and bird cages into rat mansions with multiple levels and hammocks and toys and all your friends think you're weird. Also, if you aren't allergic to rats now, you will definitely become allergic to rats before you are done.

These are all facts based entirely in science and have nothing whatsoever to do with personal experience...

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Invalid Octopus posted:

There's a rat megathread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3320057

Firstly, you shouldn't keep only one rat. They're very smart, social animals and it's unkind to keep them alone. Plus, additional rats are hardly any more work, and it's super cute to see them playing and cuddling. To answer your question: an easy diet would be a high quality kibble/block like Oxbow or Harlan (harder to find), with daily fresh fruits and vegetables. If you want to put a little bit more time into it, you can make a food mix yourself pretty easily, and there are guides in the OP of the thread. Personally, I go to Bulk Barn every few months and buy a bunch of different grains, some dried pasta, and mix them all up with a bag of Oxbow in a 4 gallon garbage can. Supplemented with some of whatever I eat (e.g. cooked rice, bones, carrot greens, whatever).

Dittoing your rat needing a friend, and checking out the Rat Megathread.I especially endorse the Suebees mix for rat food. My sister used to foster for a small animal rescue, and owned rats on her own. Suebees was the best of anything we tried; it comes out reasonably priced when buying the ingredients in bulk, and provides a nice interesting variety. And definitely definitely give them the fruit and veggie odds and ends from your dinner (just not raw potato onion; not only will they not touch it, it's really bad for them to eat). My rat First Wife was especially fond of hard boiled eggs and spaghetti squash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
So my cat has been peeing in the living room, and exhibiting strange behavior like hiding under the bed. He's 8 years old and has never done anything like that before. I took him to the vet yesterday and had urinalysis done. Apparently he's developed crystals. I've had him and the other cat locked in the spare room with food, water, litter box etc. I just let him out and he went and peed on the same drat spot, even though I've already cleaned it with Nature's Miracle. HALP.

In related news, the vet wants to put him on Science Diet. Is this going to be a permanent thing, or just until the crystals clear up? Also. The cats
won't eat if separated. Is it going to be a problem for her to eat as well?