Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unagi
Jan 27, 2007

:catstare:
PISSmaster
:woof:

Olive Bar posted:

One of my friends growing up had a hamster, one day she want to check on her and all was not well. She had chewed a giant hole in her stomach and essentially eaten herself to death. Can they do this? Do they do this?

That is very odd, while it's not impossible, I doubt that was the real case. A lot of little animals get tumors or abscesses from small infected cuts. With many rats who have tumors, it's not uncommon for the rat to eat it's own tumor off, and then die from blood loss. It's very gross, but they basically cut themselves open, and rip it out. I think that this is possible with hamsters as well. It's possible that your friend's hamster had an abscess or tumor and chewed at it, then died from blood loss.

That rabbit looks like a baby common wild hare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unagi
Jan 27, 2007

PISSmaster

Debating making another thread for this but I'll see what help can be found here first, I'm at a loss!

My Old Cat
So, we took in my uncle's 18 year old cat, Church, when the family's house was foreclosed. He's been at the house for about 3-4 months now and integrated great. Does well with the other cats, does well with food, does fine with the litter box, and does fine not being outside at all.

Church is a good boy, getting frail (due to being 90% outdoors his entire life). He has bad arthrits in his hind legs but he can still "jog", jump, and walk up and down stairs fine. He's pretty much not much different from our other cats. Talks a lot, eats fine on a schedule, etc.

The problem: He cannot poop in a litter box all of a sudden!

I think the problem arose when we closed him out of one of the bedrooms. When he was first introduced to the house he was confined in an empty bedroom for a few days and then let loose on the house, but that room remained his "base" for a few weeks. Then when we found out I had to move back home due to money problems, he needed to be out of that empty bedroom and his "base" was moved to a second empty bedroom.

So three weeks before the move, we began slowly moving him out of that room. First moving his bed, then feeding him elsewhere, then moving the litter box, and finally closing the room off. The transition went fine at first but after that door closed, he was a lost cause. He began pooping everywhere. Next to the litter box, on the bathroom rug, in the bathtub, on beds, on the kitchen rug, in the hall.

The weird thing: he does still pee in the boxes, so he knows they're there, and he CAN use them. We have 5 cats and 4 litter boxes (1 covered, 3 uncovered). Litter boxes are cleaned twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. So I know it isn't a case of dirty boxes or just not enough of them.

Ideas?

tldr: Old cat who was previously only outdoors, integrated indoors just fine, used litter boxes fine but now all of a sudden does not poop in litter boxes. But pees in them fine.

Unagi
Jan 27, 2007

PISSmaster

ThirstyGirl posted:

My friend adopted this little girl last weekend. She's about 10 weeks. Any ideas on what breeds she might be?

Oh, and if you can't tell from the picture, her eyes are green.

Definitely rot, maybe lab or possible gsd in there?