Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.
My cat's ears are getting dirty on the inside; what's a safe way to clean them? I know when I had guinea pigs, my vet commented once at a check up that their ears were getting dirty and that I should wash them using mineral oil and a q-tip. Is this appropriate for cleaning a cat's ears too? Could anything bad happen if some mineral oil leaks down into the actual canal? Should I just not clean the ears?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

I personally prefer white vinegar and cotton balls. You shouldn't need to clean down past where cotton balls can get to on a cat. If his ears seem itchy, smelly or the "dirt" comes back quickly, you should have the vet take a look and see if there's an infection or earmites.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that and contact my vet if it seems like there's a problem.

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.

sam.freak posted:

I've got a cat that's all black with a layer of white fur underneath.

How rare is that?

I have a tortie cat who has white underneath both her black and orange fur. Like Mother Rucker said, it's called "smoke" or "Shaded" depending on how much is white. Some links:

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.

VikingKitten posted:

Cersei the puppy REALLY LOVES to dig in the litter box. So I stuck the litter box under a chest of drawers. Curtis is small enough to climb in, but Cersei can't get her evil paws in there. However, Curtis is growing and I think he's not going to be able to squeeze in there pretty soon. What do I do? Any clever ideas?

How big is your puppy? You could maybe make a litterbox enclosure that your cat can go through but your puppy can't. Put enough room in the enclosure to make a small "walkway" before the actual box, that way even if your pup tries to put her paws in, she won't reach the box.

An example of what I mean can be found here but you can obviously make one for yourself easily and cheaply. :)

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.

noelcat posted:

I have a question about my fatty cat.

I was feeding both of my cats Blue Buffalo light cat food. Unfortunately, this gave my skinny guy diarrhea, and I changed him to Science Diet Sensitive Stomach...

I just wanted to pipe in and say that I switched my cat to Innova Evo, and after a little while she became a little barfy and had diarrhea. My vet prescribed some sort of med to help firm her stools to be given for a week, plus a switch to the Science Diet Sensitive Stomach food. I wasn't too happy with the food quality, and after discussing it with my vet, she suggested that I could try switching my cat back to Innova Evo, and if that didn't work, try switching her to a different food entirely. I gradually made the switch back to Evo and my cat hasn't had problems since. Maybe your cat just needed a more gradual transition to the Blue Buffalo, or maybe you should try switching brands (gradually). That way, you can still feed both your cats the same food and keep it of a good quality. You should probably consult your vet though, just in case.

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.
Do all cats get those "fat pouches" under their belly? I've been trying very hard to regulate my cat's food so that she doesn't get overweight, but when I was petting her belly when she was standing up, I noticed that she was starting to get a small "fat pouch" (what do people call this?). She's not very old, about 10 months... is this a sign that I'm over-feeding her, or is this something that all cats develop to some degree as they mature? It's obviously not huge like you would see on an obese cat, and I just noticed it there.

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.

Pineapple posted:

Sometimes spayed cats just have a saggy tummy. When viewed from above does she have a definite waist?

Yes, her line goes in before her hips start, so I guess that would be her waist. She's longhaired, so it makes it a little more difficult for me to just look at her and say she's the right weight. She's also the first cat I've ever owned, so I don't really have any previous experience to make a comparison to, except for my friend's rather obese cat (which is why I'm so paranoid about ensuring she doesn't get fat). She was spayed at about 6 months, so maybe it is just that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.

Lopside Fundip posted:

I've always heard that called the "primordial pouch" but I'm not finding a good source to refer you to.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150341

If it's just a pouch, it should feel flappy and empty. If it's fat, it should feel more like boobs. Some cats have them, some don't. In my admittedly limited experience, there isn't a direct correlation to gender or sex status.

She's young, so it's not as likely to be fat.

If you are worried: make sure she exercises, give her a "tree" to climb, invest in good food, don't free-feed dry and consider giving wet only. Make sure you take her to the vet annually, even if she isn't having problems.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, it's empty, and is just like a flap of extra skin hanging down. She's very hyper and gets lots of exercise; has a cat tree, gets scheduled "play times" and all that. I feed her a mix of wet and dry Innova Evo. I guess she's just one of the cats who gets those then. v:)v Thanks for putting my worries to rest, though I'll still keep an eye on it.