Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

a life less posted:

I see that they've posted health test results for a few dogs, but not all of them. If you were to get a puppy through this breeder I would insist on seeing the test results for the parents. I'm not familiar with the breed so I'm not sure what else to require beyond the basics: CERF, OFA.

They say they have done health testing but I can't find any of their dogs on the OFA site using their name or registration number so that's a little fishy to me. They could have used Pennhip instead of OFA but they should still have CERF numbers since they say they did eye testing.

According to the Samoyed Club of America eye problems and hip dysplasia are things to watch out for so when you're ready to get a puppy be sure to ask for OFA and CERF info on both the parents (and as many relatives as you can stand looking at).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Abbeh posted:

Do dogs get eye floaties? Zoso's been chasing invisible bugs all week. He'll look up, snap at nothing, look up more, snap again, etc. We've looked closely at his skin to make sure there are no fleas that could cause this, and if there were fruit flies I'd know because I hate those loving things. He just keeps going and going until I distract him with a treat. What the gently caress :psyduck:

Fly snapping with no bugs can be a sign of seizures but if you can distract him with a treat that's probably not it. Could it be dust floating in a sunbeam or something?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

d3c0y2 posted:

I have fallen in love with the dog in this Phil Collin's video, it's so fluffy and it waddles! But I don't know what species of dog it actually is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKrGj73OsAY

Its not an english sheepdog, the nose is all wrong, right?

I would guess its a generic scraggly mutt,available for a nominal fee at your local animal control facility. It could be something rare and fancy but a lot of animal actors are taken from pounds.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Affi posted:

What would you do if your dog couldn't stop peeing and pooping indoors and had severe ADHD?

What a life less said plus a very thorough vet visit looking for physical reasons and if a trainer couldn't help I'd talk to a veterinary behaviorist.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

For a really shy dog you're going to need to find his favorite thing ever and just take it slow. Do you clicker train? I've had some success free shaping going into and enjoying the crate. Start clicking and treating for looking at the crate, then stepping closer to the crate, then touching the crate until finally he goes into the crate. After that you can start working on duration in the crate. You can do this without a clicker, I just find it easier to use some sort of marker. A word or noise would work fine too.

He seems like a sweetheart. Just be slow and patient and he'll catch on.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 21, 2010

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I'm having issues with Major in the car and over the 3 months I've had him and worked on it it just seems to be getting worse. It started with just with whining on two lane streets and a little bit on the freeway. I gave him bully sticks to distract him for the 15 minutes it takes to get to the freeway and then treated him for calm, quiet behavior and gradually increased the time between treats. I got up to about 2 minutes of quiet at a time before things started going downhill.

It progressed to more, louder whining paired with shrieking and this noise that sounds like someone with emphysema screaming for help with frantic barking when cars passed. Now he tries to lunge at any car he sees while in the car. He has to be in a crate complete covered or he hits the window so hard when any car comes toward us that I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself. He also barks for the first 15 minutes of a ride and then randomly throughout. Its a frantic, yappy bark not his overexcited bark. He still whines or screams almost the whole time.

This is clearly an anxious behavior. He's whale-eyed, tight faced, and rapidly panting the whole time. Major loves the idea of car rides and will drag me to the car if he thinks we're going for a ride its just the actually riding that's the problem. He doesn't lunge at cars when we're walking near the road, just in the car. When we finally get where we're going it takes about 20 minutes of focus work and cleaning up gushy poos before we can focus on class or take a hike or whatever.

I've tried treating during any second of quiet during a ride, just hanging out in the car and treating for calm, treating for cars passing us while just sitting in a parking lot, treating for cars passing us standing in the yard, thundershirt/TTouch wraps, and DAP diffusers. I've talked to my trainer and she doesn't have any more ideas so I'm not sure if a private session would help.

Sorry about the novel. Does anyone have any ideas that I've missed or is it time to talk to the vet about some doggy xanax? I feel bad doping him up to go do fun things but as it is I'm just avoiding taking him places. He's a 2-3 year old hunting dog sort of mix that I adopted 3 months ago if that helps.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

He's usually a bit better on the way home. There's less frantic barking the whole time and he doesn't have the runs when we get out but he still does a lot of whining and when he's not doing that I can hear him panting really heavily.

I used to use a car harness but he would get tangled and try to gnaw the harness/his foot off like a trapped fox. He liked being able to sniff out the window but its not worth him hurting himself either on the harness or hitting the window going after cars.

I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. I'm stocking up on his favorite chewy things (dehydrated rabbit feet, yum!) and I'll just keep chipping away at it. I have to board him at the vet while I'm off picking up some sheep this week so I'll talk to them then about maybe finding something to keep him under threshold while we're working on it. Someone on a different board suggested melatonin so we'll see what the vet says.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Ginny Field posted:

Do you have any good tips on minimizing separation anxiety in a shelter rescue? Neither one of us want to set ourselves up for heartbreak by adopting a dog and then being forced to make a hard decision because it's begun driving the landlords crazy (they live above us.) It's all hypothetical at the moment, as we don't have the dog, but ideally we'd like to wind up with a happy, well-adjusted rescue animal.

I would find a rescue that uses foster homes that will guide you to a dog that is already crate trained and comfortable being alone for periods of time. Read up on crate training in the puppy thread and work on making the crate an awesome place to be for a weekend before you have to leave the dog all day. My dog came from his foster home already crate trained and besides a little whining the first couple of nights he's been fine.

Make sure your landlord has put that its ok for you to have a dog in writing! Some rescues might also need either a note or to call them to double check that you aren't sneaking the dog in.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

schreibs posted:

Im looking to adopt a dog from a shelter but it seems to be that half of the dogs there are pit bulls. I don't have anything against people with pit bulls but, given their history, I don't feel comfortable adopting one. I found a dog listed as a black lab/boxer mix and when I showed it to a buddy of mine he said that it probably was a pit bull. What do you think PI?

Looks like a bully mix to me. What "history" are you worried about? As long as going to a dog park is not a critical part of your life, bullies are awesome dogs. Why don't you check out the bully breed thread before ruling things out.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Tsu posted:

Anyone know of a site with some good information about Saint Bernards? We're possibly adopting one soon and would like some more info on the breed.

Hearing from other owners would be nice as well!

Have you looked at the Saint Bernard Club of America site? Or the international site for Saints? When researching breeds, a good first step is usually googling [breed] Club of [country and/or region].

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Abbeh posted:

Uhg, my dog! Zoso tried to bite a guy today - a complete stranger. If the guy hadn't been wearing thick leather gloves, things could have ended very differently. The guy was walking down our street towards us and Zoso got all excited with his tail wagging, so I figured he just wanted to say hi. The guy walked over and Zoso changed from tail wagging excited to all his hair up snarling and growling and lunged at the guy. It's a good thing Zoso's small because I picked him up, apologized and walked away from the guy.

He's gone to quite a few trainers but this crap still happens once in a while, always when I'm walking him. And always when there's a strange man walking on the street. Is it something to do with me? Anyone in Massachusetts know a good behavioralist we could talk to?

Poor Zoso. Its hard to say what the issue might be without being there. A vet behaviorist will definitely help and I've found they are totally worth the money even if it seems like a lot up front. Here's a list of members of the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior in MA. You can also check out the list of American College of Veterinary Behaviorists grads. Even if there isn't someone local, someone further out may do phone/video interviews or work with trainers who may be closer.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Belisama posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on challenging puzzle toys? I bought my 6 month old GSD/Border Collie a ball that you stuff treats in, which he has to roll around to get them out. It took him approximately 30 seconds to get the hang of it. He'll still play with it, but I might as well feed him treats out of my hand for all the "work" he's doing to earn them. I don't want keep buying toys he figures out pretty easily, so suggestions on something that'll keep him busy for a while would be appreciated!

Eee, adorable :neckbeard:

Tug-a-jugs seem to be popular for dogs who need more of a challenge than just bashing a toy into submission. The dog has to learn to pull the rope end to fish the food out.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Fatty Patty posted:

yep they are both fixed. I use the word "fights" but there isn't any growling or blood or anything. Mostly he is trying to establish his dominance in the house and she's not giving up. That's in addition to him wanting to get his freak on. It usually starts with him trying to do her for about an hour, she gets mad, they start rolling and biting at each other's necks (not hard, just trying to show dominance). I guess the dominance stuff will sort it self out, but I reallllly hate that hour or so where he just wants to get it on. For reference, he's been fixed since ~June of last year, she just got fixed in January.

Humping is usually a sign of over excitement and uncertainty more than dominance and I doubt its a sexual thing. He just needs to learn that that's not an appropriate way of interacting with his new friend. I would give him a warning when he starts up then if he continues he gets a "too bad" or "oops" then gets removed from the situation either put in a bathroom or in a down-stay or leashed to a piece of furniture or put in his crate for a while. After a minute or two he can try interacting again. The reward for not humping is just being able to continue interacting since that is clearly more rewarding than treats right now.

The neck biting sounds just like rough play, not like dominance either. It sounds like they both just need time. Its only been a day, eventually the novelty and excitement will wear off and it will get easier.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Nate405 posted:

We're thinking about getting a front clip harness for our dog because we've heard it can help cut down on pulling and it's more comfortable for the dog. Are there any particular brands/types that I should be looking at or are they pretty much all the same?

I've tried the Easy Walk (it was all I could find in the pet store at short notice) and the Sense-ation harness. The EW is easier to find and cheaper but I could never get it adjusted just right and the martingale front just made it saggy so I had to clip it on to my dogs collar to keep it from flopping around whenever it got unadjusted for the millionth time. It did work though and it stopped my 75 lb dog from pulling me while we were working on LLW.

The Sense-ation I ordered online when it was on sale a month or so ago and I like it a lot better, even though its more expensive. The straps are cushy so no armpit rubbing and it fits a lot better. I haven't had to readjust it even after getting it wet a couple times and I find it easier to get on without trying to remember which buckle goes where. My one issue with it is that the coating on the metal rings has worn off pretty quickly and it stains my dog's chest gray. This may not be a problem if you don't have a white dog and it doesn't bother me enough that I've stopped using it.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

mcwalbucks posted:

My dogs have just discovered the wonderful world of bully sticks and they ADORE them. My local pet store, while awesome, is incredibly expensive and sells them at 6 for $20. Is there any place I can buy them in bulk? The best deal I could find on Amazon is still $1.50 per 6 inch stick.

When I buy a bunch I use bestbullysticks.com and they're really the cheapest place I could find them. Try looking at the products with free shipping first because the shipping is kind of high.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

a life less posted:

Not sure about Petsmart. It depends on the trainer. See if you can sit in on a class and see how it's managed. Some are chaos. Some are slightly more organized chaos. Some of their trainers know what they're doing. Some... not so much.

You should really sit in on any class you're interested in taking. I've sat in on a number of training groups that say that they're positive only, only to see 4 month old puppies receiving harsh choke chain corrections (one was wearing two chokes at once for some reason) or the trainer dragging dogs to the ground with prongs to teach emergency drops. I wouldn't take my dog to anyplace that wouldn't let me sit in on a class first.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Fraction posted:

Does anyone know how to make something like a cat chaser toy for dogs? I think a 'flirt pole' is the equivalent, but that sounds less bendy, I guess, than I want. I'm looking to make something from easy-to-get-online supplies, which I can use in my house to crack around like a cat chaser toy, but which will stand up to playing tug if Lola catches it, etc.

I hope someone knows what I'm talking about because I sure don't.

I think people either A. built their own out of pvc pipe and rope (like rappel rope) or B. use horse lunge whips and tie toys at the end. One of the Supers might have other suggestions though.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Chaco posted:

With splenic masses, sometimes they bleed and make the dog very lethargic and sick, so that may be why he's having ups and downs. I don't know that spleen masses are necessarily painful, but at the very least they are likely uncomfortable, depending on how large it is.

Did the vet discuss if surgery was a possibility? Dogs don't really NEED their spleen, so if your dog's current health, the size of the mass, and your financial situation all allowed it, that might be something you could do to increase his comfort and maybe even extend his life.

My first corgi had a mass on her spleen the size of a softball when she was about 6 and had to have the whole thing removed. She went on to live a pain free, happy couple of years until another mass popped up in the same place and bled out during surgery. Definitely talk to your vet about your options because while its not going to get better on its own, having a splenectomy is not a death sentence to a young dog.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

My question: Would docking the ears improve the life of a dog prone to ear infections? Or is that just not done/wouldn't help? Could it be done before ear infections become a serious problem in a cocker spaniel?

Its possible that cropping (docking is tails) the external ears on a cocker would help but I think breeding for less pendulous ears and more moderate ear feathering would probably help more. They can do internal ear surgeries that help dogs with chronic ear infections without messing up the look of the soft, droopy cocker ears.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

wtftastic posted:

Haha, no! I just recall when I worked with horses someone saying that male horses needed help keeping clean and I wasn't sure if the same was true for dogs.

Now I sound like a weirdo.:saddowns:

Ha, I figured you had been around horses if you were asking. Dogs can get a bit of crotch gunk now and then but tend to clean it up themselves :barf: Also if you ask a vet about your dog's penile discharge/crotch gunk they will make you repeat the question to everyone in the practice before telling you its normal.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

WouldDesk posted:

Here is a seven foot friend showing up at my feet at the gun range last month:
Any clue what kind it is?

This is what I immediately wanted to shoot him with, but I did not ofcourse. I just stepped back until he moseyed on down the trail :clint:

I think that's a bullsnake, assuming you're in the Central US/Texas. She's keeping the gun range free of rats and gophers and things so good for you for letting it go on its merry.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kiri koli posted:

Anyone have any tips for removing ticks from long haired dogs? We went for a nice long walk on a wide road yesterday, barely going by any trees or bushes and we've still already found three ticks on my dog (one almost inside her ear :gonk:).

We've been pulling them out by gripping them with a paper towel, but I think we'll try tweezers next time. I'm not sure any of them were latched, but all her fur gets in the way no matter where they are.

Major's hair is super thick and he gets uncomfortable with me trying to pry ticks off but I've found that using a tick key or better yet a Ticked Off lets me do it faster and I pull his fur less. I can just slip the doodad under the tick and then I don't need to worry about moving the hair out of the way anymore while I pop it off.

I also switched to a flea spot on that repels ticks because I hate them so much and its been working great.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Crooked Booty posted:

If ticks are a regular problem, you might want to ask your vet about a Preventic Collar. People I know who have used them say they get better results than with Frontline Plus, and the collar lasts several months, so one should be enough to get you through the summer. They are intended to actually prevent tick attachment. They're safe to use in combination with topicals, and unlike flea collars, they're actually made by a legit drug company and not sketchy/dangerous. I think you can get them online without a prescription, but it's always a good idea to run things past your vet first.

I guess those collars can cause interactions for dogs on psych meds so I avoid them. I don't know what they would do exactly but I don't want to risk it. Major also wears his DAP collar all the time and there's really only so many collars he can wear at a time.

KiriI use K9 Advantix 2 which is supposed to repel ticks and biting flies and have had good luck with it. Of course your mileage may vary based on local resistances but if permethrin can safely keep ticks off my baby sheep I trust it on my dog.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kerafyrm posted:

Anyone know of a place to order quality bully sticks cheaper than the $3+ each at the pet store?

I usually use Bestbullysticks.com. The shipping can be a little expensive but they have good products.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

StyleFresh posted:

Anyone make their own training treats? Any good recipes to make a bunch in bulk?

I have a dehydrator and make random jerkies and things with that for training. I do a lot of liver because its cheap ($1.50 for about a lb for me), makes a ton of tiny snacks and I could do it in the oven before I got the dehydrator. Just boil the liver for about 10 mins in water (I just boil it for however long it takes the oven to preheat to 200 degrees) then pat dry, stick on a baking sheet, and bake for 2-3 hours flipping occasionally. Either after boiling or after baking cut into pencil eraser sized pieces. I store mine in the fridge but they seem to be fairly shelf stable and should be fine left out in a sealed bag if you go through them at a reasonable rate.

The only problem with the liver snacks is my dog makes me crazy whining while I'm cooking them because he wants them so bad.

I also use take the liver water, reduce it down a bit and add a couple of packets of plain gelatin then use it to fill kongs once its chilled and jello-like so I get a lot out of my liver.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kiri koli posted:

Isn't liver really calorie dense? All the pre-made stuff I've looked at says to only feed up to two, pencil eraser sized pieces a day. So I don't use it for training sessions but things like going into her crate or whatever that only happens a few times a day.

It can be sort of rich for some dogs but I don't think its particularly calorie dense. My package says that 1 oz is 40 calories and all my treats weigh much less than an oz. I also tend to mix it with meal kibbles to use as training treats so I'm not feeding cups of it at a time. Like anything it depends on the dog. Major gets a bunch because we train a lot but he's also a highly active, large dog and he's very fit. For a dog Psyche's size a couple tiny pieces makes up a much larger part of her total calorie intake.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Been toying with the idea of getting a large predatory centipede as a pet and was looking if there were any species that are easy to care for. I'm working on reading up on some, and understand they are quick, painful, and not to be handled as toys. Suggestions?

You might want to ask in this thread since there are a ton of knowledgeable people there who I'm not sure read this one.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Malalol posted:

Anyone use an easywalk harness?
I was excited about trying one out but after 2 weeks of using it, I'm really nervous about it. I adjusted it as directed, o-ring sitting right behind his arms(legs?) but it just made the chest strap too... loose. Its not falling off but when he pulls, the chest strap creates enough room for his front legs to slip over- it did once, which was how I knew..good thing there werent any animals around Rocky.

I tightened the chest strap to the smallest it goes, and... it sort of still does it. Not a lot, but enough wriggle room for a struggling animal. Passed another reactive pit bull earlier and he went fishflopping around, I didnt let it get pulled tight enough for him to get out but god drat if it did, it would have sucked. It was a gigantic probably 80lb pit. Can be avoided by pulling up too, but its just retarded.

I dont know if the harness is just....like that or Im fitting it wrong or what. And it doesnt even work that well either :[ I'm not about to go buy a new harness, I can still use his collar, maybe I should attach that to the straps some how.

My easy walk had the same problem but it was easy enough to fix by attaching to the D ring on Major's collar either with a carabiner or by clipping the leash to both rings so it couldn't get so low that he could slip a leg out. I always made the front bits tighter than what they said too. The martingale front is supposed to be helpful but it doesn't always work. I got sick of it after a while but still wanted a front clipping harness so I got a SENSE-ation and it was a lot easier to get fitted right.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

actionjackson posted:

So Abby likes to hang out on the living room floor when I'm watching tv. Sometimes I lie down next to her to give her some extra attention. I just realized this may be a bit of an issue in my role as a pack leader. Would this possibly cause her any confusion? Obviously if I'm sitting above her and I call her over it's pretty obvious I'm in charge, but I'm not so sure her since I'm heading into her "turf." She has no objection to me being there - she actually likes it quite a bit.

Don't worry about being a "pack leader". Dogs aren't wolves and very few are plotting to take over their households. If you both like snuggle times, have some snuggle times.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Ginny Field posted:

Is it safe to use a mosquito repellent like Off on a dog? We just moved into our new house, which came with a wild and overgrown back yard, and it's difficult to step out there without awakening a cloud of thirsty bloodsuckers. Ginny has been itchier than I've ever seen her lately, and I can see mosquitoes clinging to her legs when she steps on the grass. :(

I wouldn't use mosquito repellent because I would worry about ingestion but several types of flea spot ons also repel mosquitoes. I use k9 advantix II and I often see mosquitoes fly over to Major then dart away.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

King Doom posted:

Hopefully there are a few fish experts reading this - I was checking the local pet stores tropical fish section and one of the fish they had looked absolutely bizarre. It was freshwater tropical, about ten centimeters long and it had an eel like body, though it had a fin along its back that had large spines every so often and its head was almost completely snakelike - I saw it head on first, and I honestly thought it was a snake and not a fish till it moved and I saw the body. All the staff at the store could tell me was 'it's mean, yeah? name starts with a P... P something, can't pronounce it, yeah? it's like, yeah, right?' Obviously, that wasn't very informative. Can anyone take a guess as to what it was I saw? I'd love more information on the thing.

Maybe a bichir (Polypterus sp.)? You could also try asking in the aquarium thread.

vvv No problem :) Bichir are pretty distinctive. vvv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 8, 2011

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

PutinOnTheRitz posted:

I'm likely being a super paranoid owner BUT... My male kitten got neutered yesterday. When he came home he was right as rain and bouncing around and eating and drinking, looks like he's had a bowel movement too, haven't found any urine though. Today however, he has barely moved. He's incredibly lethargic, even after I gave him his pain meds. Is this normal?

No that does not sound normal at all and not peeing can be a crisis situation. Please call a vet immediately.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Maybe a tibetan or king charles spaniel? I agree with notsoape, go to a dog show and do some window shopping!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Chexmix posted:

I might just be bad at Google, but -

Is the dog's upper lip involved in their sense of smell somehow? When my hound puts his nose to the ground, if you look at his head from behind you can see the pink of his inner-upper lip exposed. It's not visible at other times, and it seems to only be when he's sniffing.

Is this somehow helping him pick up smells better, or ...?

Dogs (and cats and snakes and lots of different animals) have a sensory organ called the vomeronasal or Jacobson's organ which has sensors accessible through the mouth or upper lip. It mostly is used to sense pheromones and is what causes cats and other animals to make that weird stinkface (flehman response). Also your hound probably has big floppy lips that just flop down when his head is down sniffing and not when he's just walking around.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

If you have dawn dishwashing liquid around that is generally safe to use on animals. My dog got scrubbed with it when he got skunked and was no worse for wear.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

dog days are over posted:

My question is - what the gently caress was that about? It happened so quick I was completely bewildered and then suddenly it was over and we were all doing walk to heel. I felt really awkward about asking the trainer 'what the gently caress did you just do' but I really need to know. She's a positive methods trainer, or so I thought, but that looked really lovely to me. If she had grabbed MY dog by her collar and carried her anywhere I would have gone crazy on her.

Yeah, that is some crazy dominance crap that should never be used on puppies. If you continue to go to that class (I wouldn't and I would tell the trainer exactly why) make very sure you never ever hand off your lead to this person. It's your job to be an advocate for your dog so don't feel pressured to do things that make you uncomfortable.

tiddlez posted:

Puppy not eating.

A sudden disinterest in food would get me to the vet real quick with a puppy. If the vet clears him of anything wrong I would stop mixing things in with the food and start giving him meal times with clear beginnings and ends. If he doesn't eat in 15 minutes he can try again the next meal. Dogs generally won't starve themselves and will start eating again when they're hungry. If you start switching foods whenever he's a bit fussy about eating you can train him to be a picky little poo poo. Again, talk to a vet first to make sure he's not sick.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Triangulum posted:

How do you break up a dog fight when a pit bull isn't involved?

I've had to break up a few dog fights and the method Leerburg describes works the best as long as you ignore anything about e collars and dominance. Make sure you take a breath and assess the situation before charging in. In many fights one dog is starting poo poo and the other just wants out. If you are by yourself getting the one who is the aggressor out and put away somewhere is usually enough to stop the fight. If the dog is grabbing and releasing instead of just gripping and shaking then try to pull it back when it has released to minimize tearing injuries.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

NarwhalParty posted:

Can anyone recommend a pad or blanket for my dog's crate that will be difficult to chew up? She currently has two sheets in there but she picks at them and rips them up.

I've heard of people using yoga mats, gym mats, or horse stall mats depending on how destructive their dog was.

The Spookmaster posted:

I have a year and a half old rescue English bulldog *collective PI eye roll* and she just recently in the last two to three days has developed the worst breath. Her diet is really good to preemptively guard against any allergy's and she hasn't been out running around lately due to the cold so I know she hasn't eaten anything. I also keep her back end clean and dry so I know it isn't an issue of her cleaning herself. I have an appointment later this week to see if its a gum issue or something along those lines but I was wondering if you guys might have any ideas to the cause.

Random mouth stinkiness sounds like a tooth or gum problem to me. Can you look around in there and see how things look? Brachycephalic breeds have to cram a lot of teeth into a small area. If it's kind of fishy or poopy smelling it might be a weird anal gland issue. TMI but sometimes when my dog is kind of constipated he gets gross poop breath until he finally goes.

Definitely keep your vet appointment and get that checked out. Face infections are no fun for anyone.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Takezio posted:

So, I ask you, fellow goons: Do you know how to safely remove fiber-glue from a dog's ears?

Gluing ears into "proper" shapes is actually really common in many breeds and as long as it doesn't seem to be causing the pup irritation I would just leave it until it sheds out on its own.

Thanks for taking in the poor pup, you're good people. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

GenericOverusedName posted:

So one of my casual friends (more like an acquaintance really) got an alligator snapping turtle as a pet. I told her it was a loving stupid idea, but she still got it.

What should I do?

Some states have laws against owning native wildlife so you could look at your state fish and wildlife website or give them a call to see if its illegal then report them if you wanted. Otherwise just don't get your hands near it.