Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
We had a cat who used to do that. If we did it too much, she would bite us. I think it's just one of those things some cats do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

One of my cats caught a mouse and ate it. I'm kinda worried about parasites. What kind of nasties can a cat pick up from eating a mouse?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

My parents put Hartz One Spot on my cats. Are they going to die?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

No. It was One Spot for cats but I REALLY don't trust Hartz stuff. I was just wondering if these stories are due to improper usage or if the stuff really DOES kill pets.

Doesn't seem to matter now since my cats appear to be alive and well. Still never going to use the stuff.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

My cat keeps doing bad things for attention and it's driving me crazy.
She'll jump up on shelves and other places she's not supposed to be and start knocking things over. When you go over to stop her, she runs off and tries to show you what she wants but sometimes she does it for no reason at all. I try to close her out of my room at night but she either goes off and annoys someone else or she scratches at the door to be let in. It seems no matter what I do, I am rewarding her for her behavior.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

FlyingFish posted:

What is this thing growing out of my cat's toe pad??

Note: he's a polydactyl and the growth is on his extra "thumb" on his front paw. The extra digit is smaller than other normal toes, doesn't have fully developed tendons, and therefore kind of curls underneath the paw when he walks. It doesn't seem to hurt him and he lets me manipulate the paw (and that toe pad) with no problem. The growth does appear to be enlarging and hardening over time though so I'm just wondering what the hell it is and if anything should be done with it...

It looks kind of like some crazy malformed nail. Polydactyls grow those sometimes.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Cat's physical exam results show she may have a hyperthyroid but conclusive tests aren't due back for a day or two. Vet noticed some balding above her eyes, small weight loss, and what might be a nodule on her thyroid.

She is 10 years old and the Vet said there were several viable options for treatment if the tests are positive. I will have to make a decision between lifelong medication or surgery/radiotherapy to correct the issue.

Anyone here have any experience or advice?

Hyperthyroidism in older cats is common. My 13 year old cat has it and we had to put this cream in her ears for awhile but then they developed a new diet for it that significantly reduces the amount of thyroid hormone that the thyroid produces. It's called y/d and it's made by Hill's however some vets have reservations about it. It's very new so we don't know what the long term consequences of this diet is. Just letting you know this is an option.

E: gently caress, beaten.

Lareine fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

We got two unrelated kittens within a week of each other and they treated each other as sisters. Their relationship deteriorated a bit once they got older but I think they tolerate each other better than they would have an unrelated, adult cat.