Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

kimbo305 posted:

Any idea what this is? It doesn't look like ich to me, but I don't have much fish knowledge either. What are the chances that it's infectious, and that, 10 days in the tank, that the other fish already have it?

What's the next step? Isolate the fish?

That's definitely not ich so I'd stop treating for ich immediately. I've never kept parrot cichlids but it looks like it was bitten by another fish and got infected - have they been fighting? Isolation is probably a good idea until that heals so the other fish don't bite it, maybe some salt if they can tolerate it.

I looked up some blood parrot stuff and their mouths look too deformed for a fellow parrot to have bitten it, what's it being housed with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

I'm probably moving to a small nyc apartment in a few months and I was toying with the idea of a canary. I don't like parrot-y type birds at all but the song and cute personality got me, plus they seem easy to care for. I was wondering if there's anyplace other than a pet store I could get one - obviously there ought to be breeders somewhere but every website I've seen has been way outdated and google is not helping me. Searching for canaries on petfinder or craigslist is getting nothing, and I'd kind of like to pick the type and color if I can. Also, is there any urgent reason that a canary would be bad for someone who's never had a bird before? Anything I should know before getting into this?

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

alucinor posted:

I would class both guinea pigs and rabbits as high maintenance pets that aren't good choices for most people. Both are highly social and shouldn't be kept as single animals. They both require tons more space than allowed by pet store cages (basically you can't buy their cage at a pet store, you have to custom make it, and you're looking at 8 sq ft for a pair of pigs and 16 sq ft for a pair of rabbits). Both require complex diets of hay and veggies with specific nutritional profiles (high C for pigs, high A for rabbits; low oxalates, and an appropriate Ca:P ratio for both), rather than simple bagged pellets. Both are also terribly expensive in terms of vet care; easily $200 for the exam itself. Neither can be left alone over a long weekend without a petsitter coming in.

If she seriously considers either, have her read over http://guinealynx.info for guinea pig information and http://rabbit.org for rabbit care information. Otherwise, I'd second rats. Great, interactive pets.

seconding this, I loved my rabbit but the was INSANELY HIGH MAINTENANCE. Not just the physical stuff, but rabbits are also pretty emotionally needy in my experience and will pine for you if they're not getting attention and start acting out, trashing things, generally pissing you off. Upset rabbits will also stop eating, stop using the litter box, and pull their hair out. It can be pretty upsetting. I don't know if dwarfs are the same way, though, they seem generally kind of derpy compared to the lops we had, but I may be wrong.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

I'm having issues with my boyfriend's roommate's pit. The house has two dogs, a pit and a boston, both of whom seem (to me) very high-strung and neurotic. Supposedly the pit is really sweet and friendly to everyone - except me. Me he is terrified of. Every time I move, he flinches and ducks his head. He carries his tail between his legs near me and if I pet him he stands rigidly for awhile and then starts showing his teeth. He ONLY does this to me and everyone in the house thinks it's weird.

Possible explanations! When I first started coming over I once sat on the couch next to him and he was sitting up close to me. Being used to my family's setter, who is totally chill and loves snuggling and being in your personal space, I poked his nose with mine. I know this was silly in retrospect and I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me that suddenly getting in his space would be a bad idea, but in any case he was startled and snapped at me. He didn't actually land a nip but one of his canines nailed me in the forehead. It was really just a startlement thing and immediately afterwards he was so upset and sorry that it was really pathetic to watch - I really think he just couldn't control his reflexes and clearly knew he'd done wrong and felt TERRIBLE about it. This dog would've committed ritual suicide if he'd had the means. I got off the couch and completely ignored him for a good half hour just to let him calm down, but that whole day if he saw me he'd flinch and go cower like I was going to beat him or something. Was this one incident traumatic enough to him that he feels I "owe" him a beating or something? Is this what people mean when they say pits are "very sensitive"?

Other less traumatic possible explanation: The two dogs sort of jump all over people and pretty much do whatever the hell they want, and I've never seen them get scolded by anyone in the house. However, if I'm eating at the table and one of them, say, pokes my plate with his nose, I'll give him a quick "hey" or "no." The pit always looks even flinchier if I do this - should I not be disciplining someone else's dog?

man that's a lot of words. I just want to know how to get across to him that I'm a friend, I don't want to beat the crap out of him, I'm not angry at all at him over the snappy thing (and wasn't at the time, I just felt bad for being dumb), and that he should be okay with me being in the house with him when I come over without turning into a shivering wreck.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

Yep. Seriously.

awwwwww the poor bugger. My family's always had primitives or border collie crosses, and their typical response to being scolded is "I made you angry! That's AWESOME! I'm gonna do what I just did AGAIN!" so I didn't think he'd be so upset about it for so long. Operation make friends with puppy commence!

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

I've been thinking of getting a Taiwan Dog / Formosa Terrier / whatever they're called. Basically a Taiwanese street dog. The problem is that they really want people to adopt these guys so all I can find about them online is glowing reviews of they are The Perfect Dog. I want to know what the downsides are, if anyone has experience with them, so I can make a more realistic decision or at least be prepared to deal with problems. They're supposed to be very loyal, smart, and easy to train. If not this specific breed/type, anyone who has experience adopting a dog that's been living on the street / a bad situation, what are some problems I ought to be prepared for?

Wow that was a lots of slashes.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

We've had a 10 gallon aquarium for almost a year now and have only had 1 betta and 3 corey catfish in it for the last 7 months (our 3 tetras died after a bad water change due to a nitrate spike). Anyways all the water levels have been consistently good since then. We decided to introduce 3 oto's to the tank. They seemed fine for the first day. Now there are 2. 1 seems to be gone without a trace. Did the other fish eat it? Is this common?

Did you check inside the filter and stir up the gravel? If the betta ate it (the corys won't but bettas sometimes do eat fish if they kill them) you should find the bones laying around (ribs and vertebrae). Otos are a little flimsy, if you lose them quickly it may just be bad luck and not your fault. You may have better luck with a bigger school of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Sankis posted:

My mom found this toad(?) hopping around her house today. She assumes it became active again due to the increased temperature in my area (Southeast PA) over the weekend. Unfortunately it's now snowy and below freezing so putting it outside is probably certain death for the little guy. Does anyone know what species it is? Do they do well in captivity? She wants to take care of it until she's able to release it though doesn't know a ton about amphibians.

edit: Not a lot there for scale, sorry. it's not especially large. Maybe a couple inches across.

Looks like a gray tree frog, if it is then the internet suggests it can be frozen drat near solid and not die so it might actually be ok outside. If you keep it warm you're going to have to feed it since it'll be using more energy.