Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
I've got a Lhasa Apso/Bichon mix with what I'm guessing is allergies?
Last Spring his paws got a little red and irritated, so I took him to the vet. The vet wasn't too concerned about it and basically just shrugged it off, the paws didn't bother him much though. The vet said if it was still bugging him a bit to try a different food, so we tried some Skin Allergy food and it didn't have an effect. Once winter started it completely disappeared.

In the past week, since it's started to warm up and the snow melt, his back paws only are really red and irritated. I think I'm going to take him to a new vet this time, but anyone have any idea what it could be/things to ask the vet? Allergy panel maybe?

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

What food are you feeding/what food did you try/how long did you keep him on the first allergy food

If it is seasonal allergies (sounds like it is) then that's a bit different. Try asking the vet about solutions for grass/pollen allergies and what not.

He was on Merrick Before Grain and Wellness for like 2 years before he started having problems, then a prescription food I can't remember for maybe 6 months (I think Iams), and right now Hills Prescription Skin Support for the past 6 or 7 months. My guess is seasonal allergies too, would an allergy panel include grass and pollen? I'd rather be 100% sure what it is or isn't, it's starting to really bug him.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

DenialTwist posted:

Just to add about seasonal type allergies-Maverick got a blood test for allergies a few weeks ago and we were surprised to learn that about half of her allergies were from dust mites and other bugs. So keeping less dog beds down and washing those more often has really helped a bit with her allergies,perhaps try that as well.

He doesn't have dog beds, I'm thinking that the posters are right in that it's probably something like grass or pollen since his paws were completely fine during winter. Thanks guys, I'll mention it to the vet and see if we can try out some meds

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

So which shots do you guys get each year for your dogs? I usually just go in and do whatever the vet says, distemper, parvo, rabies, etc. These are all shots that are needed every year, right? I remember hearing things like disagreement on whether distemper is needed every year vs three years and stuff like that. Anyone have input?

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

I've got a Lhasa Apso/Bichon mix with what I'm guessing is allergies?
Last Spring his paws got a little red and irritated, so I took him to the vet. The vet wasn't too concerned about it and basically just shrugged it off, the paws didn't bother him much though. The vet said if it was still bugging him a bit to try a different food, so we tried some Skin Allergy food and it didn't have an effect. Once winter started it completely disappeared.

In the past week, since it's started to warm up and the snow melt, his back paws only are really red and irritated. I think I'm going to take him to a new vet this time, but anyone have any idea what it could be/things to ask the vet? Allergy panel maybe?

Thanks

Vet said that since it isn't his food then it's something he inhales. He wants to try a gradual approach, start with the less extreme medicine and work our way up if it doesn't work. Sounds good to me. He gave me Pentoxiphylline (half a tablet twice daily) and Vanectyl-P (only for when his paws are really bad). Sound right to you guys?

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

I bought a Barbeque slow roasted pork bone for my dog. It's quite large, is it safe to give to him? It looks exactly like this one
http://www.amazon.com/Smoked-Pork-Femur-Dog-Bone/dp/B003E79THG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

Anyone have any experiences with meniscus surgery on dogs and the recovery etc? My dog (~25 pounds Lhasa Apso/Bichon mix) has torn his meniscus in one of his legs. I've got an appointment to meet the surgeon to have him/her look over my dog and fill me in on what it'll entail etc and set up a surgery date. Vet I met today thinks it'll cost $2500 - 3k, is this about normal? Regardless I'll be getting it done because he's got a lot of years left in him and I'm in a place where I can afford it. Was more wondering what the recovery/follow up is going to be and if anyone' has experience/tips with it.