Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
In a little under two weeks my girlfriend and I are going to my parents' place in Ann Arbor for Thanksgiving. We have a dog but my parents don't want him in the house (1 1/2 year old Corgi) so we're looking to board him for a few days. Does anyone know of a good place to board him? I think last time I was home I checked out Karnik Pet Lodge and it seemed nice enough. Advice?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Girlfriend was out on a run with her corgi and the dog's nose started bleeding (it's since stopped). What happened? My guess is that he was overheated but he's used to running (and they weren't going very far), and she claims that it wasn't too hot out. I told her to put some ice on his snout since I think I've seen people do that before with hot dogs.

E: She Google'd it and is now convinced poor Butters has cancer, how do I talk her down from that ledge?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 27, 2012

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is it possible for dogs to have allergies? I'm staying with my parents over the holiday and brought my GF's corgi with me since I'm dogsitting for her. My folks have two cats and my poor dog has been coughing more often than usual since we got here. We suspect that he's allergic to the cats but I don't think I've ever heard of dogs having allergies. He's been very energetic and well-behaved since we got here, and he got refilled on all his shots back in July (including bordatella) so I'm hoping it's not something bad. I'd hate for my GF to come back to a sick doggy :ohdear:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Any reason why dogs sometimes have the tip of their tongue hanging out of their mouth? Like this :p Whenever my dog does it, it appears his mouth is closed. But wouldn't he feel like he's biting his tongue and thus pull his tongue back in?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is it possible for dogs to get dry skin as a result of bathing? I gave my corgi a long-overdue bath yesterday and he's been scratching himself a ton ever since. My girlfriend and I haven't seen any fleas on him, so I'm wondering if I just didn't dry him thoroughly enough and the shampoo residue made his skin really dry or something.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'll bet this actually does have a thread somewhere, but dog people- what are your favorite tricks to keep a dog entertained and happy for a prolonged period of alone time? With my girlfriend out of town for the holidays I have a poor little corgi that's going to be home by himself for 12 hours at a time during the week (I work 10-hour shifts 45 minutes away, I'm looking into daycare but my commute is already stretching it without packing him up each morning and dropping him off). Obviously I'm going to give him a hefty walk each morning and evening, and I used to run with him which I hope to start up again, but during the day what kinds of toys or distractions do you like? A long time ago I used to dog-sit for a family that left a radio on low for their dog so he could hear voices and not feel too lonely, do you think he might like that?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 12, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
After being really good about it when he came visit for Thanksgiving, my corgi has taken an unhealthy interest in the litter box here at my parents' place in my current visit. Any tips other than closing/blocking the door? I thought he might just be hungry since it was a longer drive than normal, but he hasn't touched the food I left him yet.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Dog owners- how often do you get complaints from neighbors when you're out in the hall with your dog when walking them? The last few nights when I've gone out to walk my dog (Pembroke corgi) my neighbor across the hall always comes out to complain about how much noise the dog makes coming up the steps, to which I can only answer "that's how the dog normally gets up stairs, do you expect me to carry him like a baby?" He's the only person who's complained to us about pet noise yet he seems to imply that "everyone" hears us when we go up and down the stairs (and the dog likes to bark at strange outside noises, but no one's ever said anything to us). He also threatened to talk to our landlord if we didn't stop but I don't know what he expects to get out of that, and we're moving to a new place in a couple weeks anyway. Maybe the building is just built in a lovely way where those stairs are super-loud, but am I the rear end in a top hat or is he? I don't encourage the dog to run around and be noisy late at night, but with those stairs he can't really get up them without a decent effort like that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I had to board my Corgi for a couple weeks over Christmas as I went overseas with my fiancee. I've had him back for a few days and there's something wrong with his bark. While he still barks at all the same stuff, it's weaker and raspier than normal. When he tries to bark quietly it also doesn't really come out, the best way I can think to describe it is that if he were a human, it would sound like he either has a head cold or is having puberty-related voice cracks. He's totally fine otherwise, he eats well, poops regularly, isn't coughing or anything and has a totally normal temperament. Any advice? Do they make dog throat lozenges?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bloody Cum Fart posted:

Sounds like he lost his "voice". Likely from barking at the kennel. Just give him some time to recover.

That was my hunch, can I give him anything to eat or drink to help him recover? Poor guy loves his barking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Not sure if there's a Pet Island product recommendation thread, but I'm looking for some sort of traction padding/cover that I can put on some hardwood stairs so that my corgi has an easier time with them. He fell down a few steps the other day and while he suffered no lasting damage he's scared to go down them on his own now. Ideally I would buy something that won't require a permanent fixture as we're renting our current place.