Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but I have some post-spay care related questions.

Does anybody know how to get my cat to keep her e-collar on ? She's just been spayed and even though the vet told me that most cats just leave their incision wound alone, she doesn't trust my cat because she's a bit of a mischief maker. And she was right: No sooner was Fuzzbutt back home that she hid under the sofa and started to lick her wound. So on goes the e-collar and she absolutely detests it, and by association, me for trying to get her to wear it. She threw a huge tantrum and was growling and spitting at me, also scratching when she could get a swipe in. (Note that she is usually extremely sociable. She's only ever hissed at me once before, and it was to get my attention because her paw was stuck.) She's pulled it off about four or five times already and I can't leave it off because I can't watch her all night. I tried putting a regular collar on her before and she wouldn't have any of it, so since then she hasn't worn a collar (not so bad, since she's an inside cat, and I've just had her micro-chipped). My vet told me that if she doesn't have a collar, a length of string tied safely around her neck, which is what I'm using, would do the trick. Only the little floofer keeps pulling off her friggin collar. Again, and again, and again.

Is there anyone who could offer some advice on how to get her to just deal with it for a couple of days, or is the problem coming from my giving in to her tantrums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

Crooked Booty posted:

You probably just need to tie it tighter. Your cat's head is bigger than her neck so there is a way to get it tight enough that it can't come off. When you feel like you're tying it way too tight, be brave and tie it a little tighter. If you can get a finger or two between the tie and her neck, she can breathe and it's fine. It should sit just behind her skull where her neck is thinnest; if you cinch it down closer to her shoulders, it's going to be too loose. Obviously the string needs to be not at all stretchy.

It sounds like she will probably be miserable tonight but you'll have to tough it out together. By tomorrow she will either be used to the collar, or you can go to a pet store and try getting some other style. It sounds like you're using a rigid plastic one and some cats tolerate the soft floppy kind better.

Yeah, it's pretty tight, but she survived the night without pulling it off, so that's something. But she's miserable as gently caress, and seems to only be able to walk in reverse, as if to get away from the collar. She can kind of eat, but she's definitely struggling. Is that normal ?
Also, it's a somewhat floppy collar. I can squeeze it to help her get through tight spaces where she feels safer, but maybe it's not as floppy as the one you recommend ? My vet gave me the collar, but are there other, more floppy ones that I should be looking into ?

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

Enelrahc posted:

These are the soft ones most cats tolerate pretty well.

Some cats tolerate wearing a baby onesie with a tail hole cut out so they can use the box. There are also people who diy a cat sock, there are instructions on the Internet. If the cat chews the cloth though, it needs to go back in the cone. The last thing you need is the cat chewing into her abdomen. It's really not my pretty when they do that and can be fatal.

Oh right, I hadn't heard of those before. I had heard of a diy cat sock though. I think I'll go ahead and get one of those floppy e-collars though. They might make the whole thing more tolerable for her.
Thanks !

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

Does anybody know anything about adult cats getting dry, black gunk on the rims of their noses. My Momo has that, and has developed a small snoring habit. Is this anything I should be worried about? She doesn't seem to be affected by this, though, which is why I haven't taken her to the vet yet. Any ideas ?

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

Do any cat people here know why my cat has suddenly taken to peeing on my bed ? Before you ask, yes, the litter box has been freshly replaced and hadn't even been used before the bed was peed upon. Also, yes I am planning on calling my vet to see if I can get an appointment asap because she might be ill (it's currently 5am and all of this started around 10 pm so I couldn't exactly call any veterinary clinics at that hour).

Nothing has really changed around my place so I doubt it could be environmental anxiety or something, but I had some people over for my birthday (not the first time cat has come into contact with these people) that could have upset her routine.

She peed directly onto my foot no later than this evening so there's clearly something wrong, but I couldn't say what it is. She's also strangely wound up too. Not full on aggressive and attacking me, but she clearly sin't acting like she usually does. Is anyone here able to enlighten me ? I would be very grateful.

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

Hopes Fall posted:

Sounds like when my Oscar had urine crystals. Hope you don't mind administering sub cutaneous fluids!

Update: Called my vet and explained the situation this morning. She thought that Momo is just stressed out because there have been a number of changes around my flat this past week and suggested calming pheromones. Went to pick them up today and she confirmed that her routine has been really badly upset since I'm currently off work as well (as strange as it may sound, Momo is used to my leaving at night and coming back at 7.30am and since that's not happening either, she's freaking out) but it definitely doesn't sound like she's ill or anything so the vet recommended that I try the pheromone-diffusing plug for now, and if there is still no noticeable change in two weeks, then I'll have to take her back to the vet and have a check-up.

Thanks for your advice Hopes Fall :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

Hopes Fall posted:

Fingers crossed it's just stress! Oscar came and peed on ME while I was doing my own business one day. Fluffy little Bastard. Sub-q isn't the worst. You get to poke them and tease them for being camels for a while.

Oscar and Trinity love the Felliway poo poo; we got one after we moved. The only real downside to it is that it attracts ants. According to the internet, the oleic acid (?) it uses is the same stuff ants use to signal each other. I went to refill it one day, and it was a literal crawling mass of them; they were coming out of the wall through the sockets.

And that's how I learned my apartment has an ant problem!!

Well status report after first night. No pee on bed or any other places of note. Day's not over yet though so still unsure. She seems unusually scared though...
Last night was cute though, she hopped up onto the blanket we put over the bed (since she peed on the winter duvet, we've had to resort to using the thinner, summer duvet, so blankets are in order) which I had previously sprayed with catnip, and for the first time in ages, she started making biscuits on my leg and purring like a tractor. Felt hella good.

Thanks for all the suggestions and support :)