Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

MockTurtle posted:

Thanks, the reason I was asking is becuase I was watching some show about animal rescue, and they got a whole ton of cats from some collector and there was a pregnant one in the bunch. Instead of giving her a spay they had her have the kittens. I just was kind of confused because it seems like with a zillion cats that already need places to go, having more cats would be something that especially a rescue organization would try to avoid at all costs...

A lot of people are uncomfortable with performing a late term spay on a pregnant animal, particularly if they're almost ready to pop and the vet would have to extract the uterus full of squirming kittens or puppies and euth them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Cornballer posted:

I feed him 2 freeze dried bloodworms every two days. He gobbles these down as soon as they hit the water but I don't know if it's because he's hungry or because he's greedy. He's a very active fish and always has been. Am I underfeeding him and stressing him out? If so how much should I be feeding him? Could he be sick?

You're underfeeding him. My betta can easily handled 5 or 6 bloodworms a day, if he still has a round tummy the next day I'll skip a day.

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Cuddlebottom posted:

Yeah. You should also give him betta pellets as a staple, I don't believe bloodworms are nutritionally complete. Hikari Gold makes good stuff and you can buy it in the chain stores. One little betta package will last you forever.

Ocean Nutrition betta pellets and TetraMin tropical granules are popular with my betta. The small can of granules lasts practically forever since I only give him 4 or 5 of those a day (they're bigger than the ON pellets, which I usually give him 7 of.

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Antifederalist posted:

I was hoping to get some advice on what to expect in the deworming process. The package warns of vomiting, and I can handle that, but is there anything else I need to know or be ready for?

The dog will probably have soft or runny, extra-rank shits full of worms. If they're fresh enough they'll be spasmy angry worms. I call these the angry spaghetti poops. :3:

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Juice_Mouse posted:

I can only assume they count as exotic animals, and are thus off-limits to the general public.. but is it possible to aquire any breed of penguin as a pet? Yeah, I know I should probably know this already.. just wanted a definitive Goon answer. Thanks.

I don't know about the legality, but providing a proper habitat and diet would be difficult unless you're quite flush and can build a dedicated pool with rockwork etc. And I don't think you can really keep them solitarily as they're very social birds.

Not to mention the absolutely vile stench of penguin poo poo, and like all sea birds they have permanent liquishits.

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Customer Service posted:

Cool. I'm planning on setting up a simple filtered, heated bucket for raising snails.

Anyone know what kind of snails though? I've seen cheap auctions for 50 ramshorn snails, and one for 50 Malaysian trumpet snails, but I'm not sure which kind would be best as dwarf puffer food.

Dwarf puffers can eat malay trumpets, they pull the snail out of it's shell rather than crushing the shell like bigger puffers do.

You can have both coexist easily. As long as it's warm and there's plenty of food the snails will reproduce like mad.

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

Munching on the shell is important for puffers, since it wears down their "teeth"/beak which can get overgrown if they're fed only soft food. You can certainly get both types of snails. I have apple snails, ramshorns, MTS and spixi snails in my 55 gallon.

dwarfpuffers.com posted:

As far as Dwarf Puffers needing snails in their diet to "wear down" their teeth, it has been agreed upon by most in the forum that they are not necessary for this. Dwarf Puffers seem to have no problems at all with overgrown teeth (unlike almost all other puffer species).

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Camembert posted:

Do all cats get those "fat pouches" under their belly? I've been trying very hard to regulate my cat's food so that she doesn't get overweight, but when I was petting her belly when she was standing up, I noticed that she was starting to get a small "fat pouch" (what do people call this?). She's not very old, about 10 months... is this a sign that I'm over-feeding her, or is this something that all cats develop to some degree as they mature? It's obviously not huge like you would see on an obese cat, and I just noticed it there.

Sometimes spayed cats just have a saggy tummy. When viewed from above does she have a definite waist?

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Dead Pikachu posted:

I just bought a small 2-5 gallon aquarium heater (brand name: Jr. Aquatics) for my 3 gallon tank that holds one female Betta. I can't adjust the temperature, you just set it up in the water and plug it in. After buying it, I'm worried about the tank overheating. I heard somewhere that small tank heaters are known to kill fish. I'm thinking about returning it since the thermometer I bought with it says the tank's temperature is 78 degrees without the heater.

Should I trust this cheap heater? If so do I leave it plugged in while I'm not around/sleeping?

If the room's temperature is pretty constant, and the tank is above 75 without a heater, I'd just go without. My 3 gallon tank maintains a pretty constant 76-78 degree temp without a heater in my room, and my room was double insulated when it was built so it stays in the 70s even when the heat is turned down to the 50s.

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl
Looks like normal eye boogies to me. My dark skinned kitties you don't hardly notice them, but they're there. On my little pink-skinned foster kittens the slightest sleep crud just jumped right out at you.

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl
Most people buy the little kits were you get a water sample and add x drops of y bottle and match it against a color card. I have some multi-test strips I use occasionally but mostly the little test tubes.

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Firequirks posted:

I just started a small herb garden on the balcony a few days ago. I bought a cheap Ikea shelf and wrapped some garden netting around it to keep my cat away from the plant pots.

Little did I know that while thinking about keeping my cat away from the plants, I should have been thinking about keeping plant pests away. Some ants have already discovered my plants, and have started making their way into the apartment from the balcony. I figure it won't be long before they're everywhere.

Any suggestions for pet-safe pesticides / ant bait / etc? If it matters for which products are available, I'm in Canada.

I like diatomaceous earth brushed swept around the floor, so it's in all the crevices and such, and Terro liquid ant bait. The way I use Terro, I either put the cardboard where the animals can't get at it (behind a door, actually on the shelf by your plants in your case is probably good) or I cut a small piece out of the rim of one of those tiny disposable tupperwares and tape it down over the bait.

After you put down Terro there will be an increase in ants because the poo poo is apparently the ant nectar of the ant gods in the form of delicious liquid crack, they will mob the bait, stuffing themselves with it and going back to the nest to share. If the bait is dry put a few more drops on. Within a few days no more ants. And the best part is no ant corpses all over the floor. Once the first ones start dying the ones that are still alive are so busy moving corpses around they stop coming inside. XD loving ants.

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Meow Cadet posted:

Any tips on dealing with a green algae bloom in an aquarium? I'm hesitant to do a total blackout, because I have live plants. Plus, I have otocinclus (algae eaters) and I don't want all the algae to die, just the algae in the water.

We think it was brought on because we added a bit of liquid fertilizer (not my idea), even though we have flourite as a substrate. I've been doing 30% water change every other day since the bloom started. Should I do more?

A few days of blackout won't kill your plants. For free floating algae Daphnia are very effective at consuming it and make good fish food. I've heard of using a fine meshed net brooder suspended in the aquarium with a daphnia culture in it to clear a tank having a greenwater bloom, but haven't had the need to try it.

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

TheGreatFezini posted:

:what:

That is what I suspected about the BB gun. Well, I guess it most likely a turtle then, or possibly a raccoon or coyote.

Are turtles really dangerous to other animals? We have two ducks and I let my corgi swim in the lake sometimes. I don't know if I should be worried about them or not.

snapping turtles will happily eat ducklings and make a try at larger birds if they feel like it. There's a one-legged canadian goose at the local pond who will attest to that.

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

RazorBunny posted:

How does that goose do anything out of water? You have boggled my mind!

The whole leg isn't gone, he can hobble on the stump but prefers to spend most of his waking time swimming for obvious reasons. A lot of messed up geese and decks live at that pond year round, there are several with busted wings that can't fly anymore and a few others with crippled feet. There's a playground right there and the kids love to feed them so the gimpy geese seem to like it fine, even if bread isn't good for them.

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl
With the cat on a flea preventative any fleas that jump on him should die. As long as you keep him up to date on his flea meds the fleas won't have anything proper to eat (they can't survive on human blood for more than a few days) and will all die out.

I'd just wash the blankets and pillows and such and vacuum the carpet well, then throw out the bag immediately.

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Parsnip posted:

I was wondering where would be a good place to get some fun cockatiel toys? We have 3 tiels, and of course they have toys already, but I know it is good to mix it up so they stay stimulated. It just seems like every regular pet store sells the same few things, and the one bird exclusive store in the state carries mostly larger parrot toys.

Is there a Petco nearby? I know they carry shredders toys and the shredding strips. Great fun for tiels and similar sized birds.

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

KilGrey posted:

Oddly enough, mine has started doing the same. She's never been a drooler and it scares me as one of my old cats drooled like a basset hound complete with head shaking/drool spraying.

Drooling can be a sign of gum disease, tooth abscess, or other painful condition in the mouth. I'd get it checked out.

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Meow Cadet posted:

Are ramshorn snails murderous?

I added 8 neon tetras to my fish tank 2 weeks ago or so, and now I am down to 5. On the first night I lost one, and removed to body. No other bodies have been found, until just now. There is a "hunk" of tetra covered in snails where I dropped an algae wafer last night. I imagine in my head the innocent little tetra swimming down for a nibble, and the murderous snails leaping to devour it.

Does this happen? Or are the snails just an innocent cleanup crew?

Snails will quickly consume dead fish that fall to the bottom, but they are definitely not the cause of death.

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl
Could be a yeast infection from the antibiotics maybe?

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

BellyBionic posted:

I recently started a new job where quite a few of my coworkers have fish in their cubicles. I think watching a fish swimming around might help calm me so I don't lose my temper with the morons I talk to on the phone all day, and I've been wanting to get fish for a while now but haven't been able to figure out where I could put an aquarium in our apartment that would be safe from the cats. So, I want a fishy on my desk at work.

I think I'm pretty set on a betta. Most people in the office have bettas in those little betta bowls but I do know enough about fish to know those things are a terrible idea. I'm thinking maybe one of these? http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752385#prodTab1 (It's an Eclipse System 3 if anyone can't click the link).

It's a 3 gallon. Is that big enough for a betta? And would it be a good idea to get him a couple of African Dwarf frogs or a small school (2 or 3 at most) of Neon Tetras as buddies, or should a betta be totally alone? And is the Bio-Wheel filter good or a stupid gimmick?

Would the Mini-Bow 5 be better? http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754539

Bettas do best alone, and I'd go with the 5 gallon. The filter in the Eclipse 3 tends to make too much current for a betta and fail often. The light is nice and I still use mine but I use a different filter and I've done some dremeling of the frame and hood. If the footprint of the tank is an issue a 5 gallon hex tank may fit better than the mini-bow. For optimal health in your betta, look for an adjustable heater between 10 and 25 watts, you want to keep the water about 78 degrees.

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl
For a rusty crate, take it apart as far as it comes apart, scrub the rust off with a wire brush/steel wool/sandpaper or what have you, then repaint it with some rustoleum and let it dry thoroughly outside or somewhere where ventilated until the paint smell goes away.

If there's somewhere near you that does powder coating you can also get it re-coated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl
My new kitty does that too, if you pet her too much she gets wild eyed and bites you, and if you persist (avoiding chomps the whole way) she'll eventually get so worked up she has to run around the room chattering.