Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003
My kitten Curtis likes to lick my lips. This is weird, but not especially bothersome. Is that a weird habit unique to him, or do other people have cats that lick human lips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003
Oooh ooh! Another stupid question.

Cersei the puppy REALLY LOVES to dig in the litter box. So I stuck the litter box under a chest of drawers. Curtis is small enough to climb in, but Cersei can't get her evil paws in there. However, Curtis is growing and I think he's not going to be able to squeeze in there pretty soon. What do I do? Any clever ideas?

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003
Two questions:

How do I cat-proof my toilet paper? Obviously, I quit putting it on the holders because Curtis would just unravel it all for me. How considerate of him. So I stuck a roll on the back of the vanity by the mirror, and while I showered today, Curtis knocked it down where Cersei (the puppy) could eat half of it. And I take quick showers. :rolleyes:

Also, am I psychologically damaging my dogs by sticking them both in the same crate? They're crated between 2-8 hours a day. I have a wee little crate for the puppy, but she seems less upset if I let her go in the big crate with Jaime. I'm thinking of just getting a huge Great Dane sized crate, instead of a separate medium sized crate, as she gets bigger.

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003

notsoape posted:

Keeping two adult dogs in a very enclosed space, unsupervised, for lengthy periods of time is asking for disaster. No matter how well your dogs usually get on, fights can and do kick off between dogs who have always been best buddies, and can turn very nasty very quickly. One of the positive aspects of crates is that they give the dog its OWN personal space, where it can fully relax. Two adult dogs in the same crate would each be totally on edge as they were in each others' personal space, making fights even more likely to kick off.

Adult dogs are very tolerant of puppies, because they pose no threat to them. Getting the puppy used to her own space (ie crate) now would be beneficial, as if she becomes too attached to Jaime now she could suffer from seperation anxiety in the future.

That makes perfect sense. After I read that, I started crating them separately, with the pup's crate facing the other. (it's a dinky little plastic-sided crate that will be repurposed to a cat carrier when she outgrows it.)

Dr Housecat MD posted:

Close your bathroom door?

Smartass. But you win this round!

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003
Haven't read this thread in a couple of pages; apologies if this has been answered or is really stupid.

Please save my kitten from himself! He's decided that chewing on power cords is the best. Everything's hidden or monitored, except for when I plug my cell phone in overnight. I guess I could figure out a way to run the cord into a desk drawer, but in the alternative is there something I could put on it? Do cats hate green apple spray or hot pepper spray?

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003

The Ginger Ninja posted:

I'm guessing he might need a companion, but my apartment is far too small for two cats.

Bzzzt, wrong. My kitten was a goddamn horrible maniac until I broke down and got him a buddy. We live in a ~500 sq. ft. efficiency. It works surprisingly well - I have a lot of cat-friendly vertical areas. The only thing they knock over on a regular basis now is the scratching post.

Also, I go to a lot of trouble to keep things picked up. I totally understand your frustration about the cereal bowl, but I just pick things up a lot. For example, I'm at the point where I routinely put my keys in a drawer instead of on the counter.

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003

Myok posted:

You're doing well if you've narrowed the problem down to one cord. Bitter Apple gets recommended a lot for this purpose. Even if it doesn't work, your kitten should grow out of the chewing stage in a few months. With my two kittens, fixing the cords so they didn't dangle or move was enough to dissuade them from gnawing.

Well, I just don't have much stuff right now. Most of my stuff is in storage and I'm living like a zen nomad in this tiny little efficiency. I've got one power strip that runs a lamp, the mattress, the cell phone, and the laptop. Oh, and the coffee pot. That's it. :)

On looking more closely at the charger, the little bastard has already damaged the plastic. I'll need to wrap it up all ghetto-style in electrical tape first. I think I am going to drill a hole in the desk and run the charger up inside there, and then I can stick the rest of the cords in a box.

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003
Speaking of pet tattoos, my vet seems to have tattooed my girl dog when he spayed her! At first I thought the funny little squiggle was some left over sharpie, but I finally realized it's a tattoo. It's a little female symbol with a line through the O part. Obviously it means "spayed female." Pretty cool, on the (ohgodpleaseno) chance she gets lost.

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003
Seriously, how the gently caress do I keep the kittens / puppy from destroying my toilet paper? Right now I've resorted to storing it in a lidded container (an empty clean kitty litter box, actually) by the toilet, but... are they EVER going to outgrow this? (All are about 6 months old.)

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003
^^Good luck with the hamster, dude. I know nothing about them but that sounds freaky.

Been following the thread but not intently monitoring it, so apologies if this is a really common question.

How do I make my shower curtain less irresistible to the two evil 7 month old kittens? I live in an efficiency right now and the shitbox is in the bathroom, so just shutting the door isn't an option. Am I doomed to have a leaky shower curtain til they grow up?

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003
nonanone, you really need a thread of your own about the RoofKittens. They're gonna be way too cute to hide in the catch-all thread!

Also, Lakshmi, my longhaired kitten shed all - I mean ALL - of his whiskers at about 3 months. They just disappeared one day and he looked so odd until they grew back.

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003

roy harder posted:

Today I got my first dog! Hooray! Approximately how long does it take for a dog to recognize its name? My fluffy little baby is 8 weeks old, and she's a Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever.

My lab learned her name pretty fast. I said her name (Cersei) a lot while I petted her, and I tried to always say it in the same way. And whenever I asked her to do something (come or sit or OWWW quit it, at first) I'd say her name too. Cute baby! Are you going to duck hunt with her?

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003

clyemne posted:

Any tips for brushing cats? My long haired cat Spencer seems to hate it. His reaction is combat mode where he attacks the brush either until I stop or until he squirms away and runs off. The only brush he tolerates for a short lengths of time has really soft bristles, and basically does nothing on tangles. He is starting to get mats around his hindquarters, and cutting them out is even more difficult than brushing him is.

I am a bad lazy cat owner. My longhair tolerates being brushed pretty well, except for his back end. Hates it. I don't want to fight with him, so I just wait til he's asleep and cut the mats out of his hindquarters. Lately I've started trimming his butt while he's sleeping, preemptively getting the hair before it turns matted.

I trim claws the same way. Stealth attack, one paw at a time very gently while the cats sleep. Generally you can't get much done before the cat wakes up, but every little bit helps.

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003

Kela posted:

He goes out to puddle first thing, then eats and goes out 30 or so later for a short walk and #2.

Did you seriously just say that?

Dogs poo poo and piss. Or they urinate and defecate. If you're talking to your mom, they poop and pee. This is SOMETHING AWFUL.

Ok, ok, seriously, my dog takes a dump about twice a day, in midmorning and in midafternoon. She eats in the morning, before her morning poop, and then when we go to the park before dinner she squeezes out another loaf. Then home for dinner and a nap before she goes out again to shower the unsuspecting monkey grass with golden rain.

The only way to tell your dog's schedule is to watch him, very closely, for signs that he may want to go out, and accept that it's your mistake if you're wrong. Sometimes I go to bed without waking my dog up for her last walk. When I do that, I always step in cold carpet pee. It's not her fault, it's mine.

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003
Look, I snarked about the pee thing. This is serious advice.

It's not him, it's you. WATCH YOUR DOG. Learn his body language. He does *something*, some tiny thing, that indicates that he needs to pee. You've got some amount of time - 5 seconds, 30 seconds, two minutes - to react and let him know that you're getting ready to take him out.

When I get home from the park with Cersei, she flops out on the bed and snores for hours. She'll wake up, some time between 8 and midnight. She'll look at me. (That's cue number one.) Then she stretches a little. (Number two.) Then she flops out so that her front legs are on the ground while her torso is on the bed. (Final warning.) If I haven't gotten my lazy rear end off the computer and grabbed my keys by then, she very quietly walks out of my line of sight and pees on the floor. Then she goes back to sleep.

It's not her. It's me. I FINALLY learned when she's "telling" me she needs to pee, and I react. As long as I get up when she "tells" me, she has no accidents.

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003

no shoes posted:

Anybody else have trouble with dogs hurting themselves at the dog park? We've got a big yellow dog (70 lbs) of undetermined breed who loves the dog park--he's fast as hell, loves to be chased. He wipes out from time to time--usually when a little aussie or another herding dog tries to cut him off and he tries to vault them.

Heh. I've got a young Lab who tears up her feet pretty bad at the dog park. For me, it's not worth the hassle of trying to keep her at home - she's an enormous ball of energy if we skip more than one day in a row at the park. She has run her nails down to where there's just the tiniest bit of free edge left, and I keep worrying that she's going to quick herself :cry:

Obviously your dog is going to be too excited while he's out there to show pain, so you just need to watch him wandering around the house before you go and use your best judgment. If he's favoring a paw while he's calm and at home, maybe he should stay home for a day or two. But if he doesn't look like anything is bothering him (and his cuts aren't infected), I'd say take him. A tired dog is a happy dog.

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003

KilGrey posted:

Is there an IRC room for PI nerds?

synirc.net, #petisland

IDK about female cats! Can tell you all about weird year-old neutered male cats though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003

cereal eater posted:

3. Re-naming - I love little Hiro. I'm half Japanese, and the dogs Japanese, so I decided to name him a Japanese name: Hiroshi, Hiro for short. Well I didn't think so many people would find it amusing. I think the "cute" connotation of the name effects the way people interact with my dog, he picks up on their "energy" or something. I've been considering renaming him, but I don't know if that messes with the dogs psyche, or if it's really even feasible for the same owner to rename his dog.

Dogs don't get emotionally attached to their names in the same way humans do. It's just a noise you make that means "hey look at your human!" My dog gets a new nickname every couple of months, and she'll respond to the nickname or her real name in exactly the same way.

Just transition over and he'll be fine. Like if you want to rename him Bruiser, call him "Hiro-bruiser" for a while then just Bruiser.