Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Fire belly newts. Always loved them as a kid, and I ended up with 5 recently (well, I snuck them away from some well-being but totally idiotic fuckers who were going to let them sit in a fish tank, full water, etc, until the poor things died). I currently have them in a 10 gallon tank with about 3 gallons of dechlor'd water, lots of rocks, and an air stone. Water changes every two or three days. They did -not- like the filter I had on (the smallest AquaClear money can buy), so I don't know what else to filter the water with other than constant water changes.

They're pigging the hell out every day, so with what I know of herps and fish (never really had amphibians before), that means all is well with them. What else can I do for these once intended fish foods to make sure they live happy long lives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
That's rough, man. Condolences on your loss.

On a different note, I know some members here are foster families for rescues...how do you deal with burnout? My mom and I have been fostering kittens since last June, and after a hard startup, we've done okay. Started with 5 kittens, were pushed into taking 3 more, and then once half of those were gone, took another 1 or 2 here and there. Last Xmas we were finally down to three, then this early year back to five. We are now down to two, ones rescued from an inbreeding hoarder, and while the girls are cute and friendly, they are sick all the drat time, sneezing and runny noses no matter the medicine.

We have had these girls for three months (two of those they were too sick to go to any adoption event) and with my mom's knee surgery, she can't help with any animals, so I've been doing everything. I want a break, I want the girls to go somewhere else to be fostered so I can recover from this poo poo and stress....but everyone else in the rescue balances, somehow, work, childcare, and up to 20 cats and kittens or dogs at once.

gently caress, the vet tech of the rescue works two jobs, plus does vet meetings at her house twice or three times a week. Part of me doesn't care what everyone else does, another part thinks I just need to suck it up and somehow get these two girls better, where they stay better (which never lasts more than a week before one has a runny nose again, and runny noses are not allowed at adoption events), and I don't know if the word 'burnout' applies when it's been under a year and I've done zero adoption events in the past month or two, due to taking care of my mom.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Box turtles have a ton of personality but in terms of them chilling on your lap, probably not.

Guinea pigs (2) might be a good thing to look into. Plus you'll eat healthier with all the veges you buy for them too.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AquaticIguana posted:

I built my cats a little tower out of Costco boxes. They like it but I don't want to look at the boxes everyday. Is there a good cat safe way to cover the box sides?

Wrapping paper works for me.