Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Hi. I'm in a bit of a lovely situation.

Right now I live with my girlfriend of two and a half years in an apartment. I have an old 17 year old black and white cat Missy that is blind, has kidney disease, and is arthritic. She's on anxiety/arthritis meds, and on pepcid to prevent her from vomiting twice a day. She's got a pretty lovely quality of life since we had to put down my other cat (he was her best friend). Now all she does is eat, sleep, and go to the bathroom. She likes to be played with but she doesn't like to lay on laps and gets frustrated after a little while. She requires meds twice a day, and meows loudly in the morning (we have no door or wall for the bedrooms in the apartment, it's all open concept BS).

Yesterday I found two stray kittens at work in the middle of a parking lot. They were incredibly small, and didnt even move when I went up to them. I guess they were either just too cold to care if they were killed, or overly trusting. I was able to pet them and they didnt even move. I waited around for 45 minutes to see if their mom would come back, but I figured it was either dead or the kittens were just dumped there. I emptied out my work bag and put them in there with some paper towels for warmth, and zipped up the bag just enough so they wouldn't escape. I took them to an emergency vet clinic that couldnt take them. I took them to another vet that checked them out and gave them an exam, a flea and tick treatment, and bloodwork. One of them was fussy and didnt give blood. The other one was negative for FIV.

The problem is that my girlfriend doesn't want three cats, and told me that we either have to put Missy down, and keep the kittens, or find the kittens a home, because she doesn't want to have to raise and train two kittens alongside taking care of Missy. She hates how Missy smells up the apartment with her poo poo (had to take off the flap on the covered kitty litter because otherwise she wont go in it). We almost had to put Missy down twice already. Once when she was pissing everywhere, and then the other time when she threw up everywhere.

I just feel bad putting Missy down. I dont want to do it just to keep the new kittens, that would make me feel so guilty. I know intellectually that Missy is old as gently caress, has a lovely quality of life, and all we are doing right now with the medication is making her comfortable, and I know we'll probably have to put her down in the next year anyway... but I think I would feel so guilty if I did it just to keep the kittens.

They're 3 weeks old according to the vet, but already know how to clean themselves and also know to poop in the kitty litter. We're keeping them in the bathroom because we have to isolate them from Missy, and my girlfriend hates that too.

I'm just so torn and I dont know what to do. I cant take care of them on my own without my girl, and I love her. I dont know if she's "the one" or not, but poo poo would suck for a long time if we broke up because of this. Any advice? Should I feel guilty if I decide on putting down Missy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Thanks guys. I'm still torn on the issue, but I'm thinking about bringing Missy to the vet for at least a checkup.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
How can I keep my cats off my counters without putting down cellophane or aluminum foil? I'm afraid they're gonna eat it.