Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

effika posted:

Oh yeah no it never worked right out of the box.

I thought sewing was really hard when I got this machine because of how much I had to try threading the bobbin before I got it to work right by accident one time. I just thought that was how machine sewing with an entry-level Singer was- incorrect directions and a needlessly fiddly process.

When it worked fine the last time I used it that was because I hadn't forgotten how to thread the bobbin in a way that wasn't the correct way, but made the bird nests go away.

When it worked fine last night it was only after remembering that I shouldn't follow Singer's directions, after so much trouble with threading the bobbin their way.

After adjusting the bobbin tension screw I can thread it correctly per Singer and I haven't had any issues with it.

(I always forget how to thread the top thread so I watch a YouTube video every time - I think everything was in the right places.)

Well now I'm doubly glad you got it working despite the hassle cause that's bullshit to be like that brand new. It's not the most expensive machine I know, but it's not super cheap either.

Does anyone happen to have a spare Singer throat plate (part Q60d, only need the metal part) or Brother type electric pedal that I can buy off you? I can't find any replacements that will get to me within a week and hand cranking this sucker is tough.

E: nm got the Singer functional

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

BonerGhost posted:

I'm really skeptical that it's your bobbin tension, especially if it was fine the last time you used it or got it out of the box. They can loosen up over time, but that huge of a difference makes me think it's something else. Not saying it's not possible for it to be screwed up, because it def can be, but everything I can find on getting birds nests says it means your top thread isn't threaded through all the tensioners. It happened to me earlier when I was troubleshooting my machine before shooting that video, I rethreaded and it corrected it.

Normally bird's nests on the bottom of your work does mean the top thread tension is off. But skipped stitches indicates a timing problem, which puts the bobbin tension in play.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

there wolf posted:

Normally bird's nests on the bottom of your work does mean the top thread tension is off. But skipped stitches indicates a timing problem, which puts the bobbin tension in play.

That's really helpful to know, thank you

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Tried to follow these instructions and had some mishaps/improvisations, but I got a functional mask that actually fits my tiny head and has a filter pocket so I can stick in another mask! (I stole the nose wire from a disposable I wore at work today.)

The nose wire disaster doesn't seem to matter right now, but I will see if I need to make a liner for my liner when it gets a long shift at work. (I'll just baste in another rectangle over it. The more nose cushion the better, honestly.)

Will replace the ties with something with more grip and less flounce later this weekend, but the ribbon sure looks pretty.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

effika posted:

Tried to follow these instructions and had some mishaps/improvisations, but I got a functional mask that actually fits my tiny head and has a filter pocket so I can stick in another mask! (I stole the nose wire from a disposable I wore at work today.)

The nose wire disaster doesn't seem to matter right now, but I will see if I need to make a liner for my liner when it gets a long shift at work. (I'll just baste in another rectangle over it. The more nose cushion the better, honestly.)

Will replace the ties with something with more grip and less flounce later this weekend, but the ribbon sure looks pretty.

That looks great! I tried a similar pattern and got really frustrated with it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I've been working on that pattern all day, it's way too fiddly. Think I'll switch to the surgical mask-style tomorrow.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I 100% do not recommend that pattern, or at least that version of a shaped mask. I wanted something that wouldn't ride up into my eyes and it fits the bill, but it was not no-muss-no-fuss.

My husband wants a mask too, so he's going to get one of the pleated-rectangle style masks.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

I've been making the A.B. Mask (For a Nurse By a Nurse) and been really happy with the results. Gets a better fit than just the rectangles and easy to whip up in large batches.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

Bingo Bango posted:

I've been making the A.B. Mask (For a Nurse By a Nurse) and been really happy with the results. Gets a better fit than just the rectangles and easy to whip up in large batches.

Anyone know if this style works better with glasses fogging, or if there is no hope for me?

I've worn the actual ppe masks in that style that you could get at a drug store previously, and they were the worst glasses foggers, absolutely no vision for me. I've made a few t-shirt material masks in the fitted pattern (without much issue, the link I posted earlier in the thread may be easier/have better steps written out or something) and they cause less fog, but still some fog nonetheless to the point where I'm still not happy.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Bingo Bango posted:

Not sure how I missed that one! Looks like a good pattern and much better instructions and photos. (No filter pocket, but it looks made to be worn over other masks, so that's fine.)

cloudy posted:

Anyone know if this style works better with glasses fogging, or if there is no hope for me?

I've worn the actual ppe masks in that style that you could get at a drug store previously, and they were the worst glasses foggers, absolutely no vision for me. I've made a few t-shirt material masks in the fitted pattern (without much issue, the link I posted earlier in the thread may be easier/have better steps written out or something) and they cause less fog, but still some fog nonetheless to the point where I'm still not happy.

Glasses wearer here! Your only hope is a nosewire, pinched around your nose bridge and gently formed to your cheekbones. If it is done properly you'll be annoyed, because it's harder to breathe through, but your glasses won't fog!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bingo Bango posted:

How do you print the pattern?

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

BonerGhost posted:

How do you print the pattern?

There's a link to the actual pattern in the PDF and I think she includes printing instructions too? tbh I kinda didn't read them, tried printing it how I've printed other digital patterns, and it ended up like 1/8" smaller than her measurements. So I just traced it on to some sturdier paper and sized it up as necessary.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Version 2 of her pattern has a pdf, which scales better when printing, getting the jpg to scale didn’t really work. https://www.instructables.com/id/AB-Mask-20-for-a-Nurse-by-a-Nurse/

Her directions are rather weird, to be honest. I vaguely know how to sew, but my mom has done it for 50+ years thought they were weird. At her scale, it just fits over an N95, I have a +5% and a plus +10% printout to try in an attempt to give it a bit more space. Wearing it over a (woodworking, non medical) N95 does cause at least one glasses lens to fog a bit.

I have paracord and barrel clamps coming, I’m going to try turning her top and bottom ties into casings to feed the cord through. If it works, it’d certainly be easier to get on/off and tighten.

Going back, I too had issues with my Singer, so I’ll look into both bobbin and top thread tension, thanks! It certainly gave me something to look into. The brother I bought to embroider baby clothes got it done though.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hello sewing thread, I am going to start making masks. I have never sewed before, but that's ok, I am good at dedicating myself to learning new things and I really want to do this. My main purpose will be masks; what would be the best machine to buy for this? I'm willing to spend up to $300 on the machine for this right now but would prefer $200. Same question for the iron - what's best for this? I appreciate any advice about this. I have been reading some of the mask sewing discussions already and have a lot more to read but I need to get a machine bought. Thanks!!

https://www.joann.com/husqvarna-viking-emerald-116-sewing-machine/16007288.html

My wife and I were looking at this one, we can go pick it up curbside tomorrow.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 15, 2020

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
What's best is literally any machine with a straight stitch. Masks aren't that hard.

Generally the key to getting a good new machine (in normal times the secondhand market is a really good place to get a quality starter machine) is to spend more than $150 on it, but big box stores have an issue of being dumping grounds for crappy machines at even the higher price points. I feel like I've seen a lot of crappy Vikings, but I don't know if that's just people buying the cheapest model or if they have an overall quality issue like Singer does these days.

If you've read the reviews or have a trusted recommendation from someone that makes you confident that that model is a good choice, then go for it. If you're flying totally blind, you've got two options- 1. Get a cheaper machine, closer to $150, that you anticipate replacing if you really get into sewing. I've had good luck with Brother's budget models, I don't know about Viking, avoid Singer. 2. Spend more, $300-500, on and introductory machine from the non-budget brands, Juki, Janome, or Baby Lock.

Things to keep in mind in general as far as features: Zigzag stitch- Necessary for stretchy stuff, comes standard with pretty much every new machine. Removable arm- common on freestanding machines, let's you narrow your base so you can jut pop cuffs/sleeves/etc. around the base and sew a continuous seem. Back-stitch button- automatically stitches one stitch in reverse to make sealing seams off quick and easy. Built-in thread-cutter- a blade on your machine so you aren't constantly looking for scissors to cut your work free when you're done sewing.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 15, 2020

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I'm staying in someone else's house for the duration and they have a small machine, make and model White 1418. The lower thread keeps tangling and the bobbin keeps jamming. I don't think it's a bobbin timing issue because this didn't happen before I restrung the bobbin. Would a higher quality thread help?

If it is the thread, what thread would yall recommend for machine sewing masks?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 16, 2020

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Not cheap thread, and not old thread (dust and grime can gum up your machine). I usually use Gutermann because that's what they sell at the quilt shop I take sewing class at, but it's really nice.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

It's worth noting that if you're sewing anything that you intend to donate to hospitals, gotta use cotton thread. If the mask is all cotton than it can be sterilized at high temp (high enough temperatures for polyester thread to melt).

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Not cheap thread, and not old thread (dust and grime can gum up your machine). I usually use Gutermann because that's what they sell at the quilt shop I take sewing class at, but it's really nice.
Most of my birds nest issues are usually due to tension and the only time it's been a thread issue was when I was using some really old stuff.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Wait, thread isn't .70¢ a spool anymore?

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Alarbus posted:

Wait, thread isn't .70¢ a spool anymore?

70¢? Where are you getting that fancy thread?

On the subject of "stuff I found in Nan's sewing basket", anyone know what that gadget in the photo is? It doesn't have any writing on it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bingo Bango posted:

It's worth noting that if you're sewing anything that you intend to donate to hospitals, gotta use cotton thread. If the mask is all cotton than it can be sterilized at high temp (high enough temperatures for polyester thread to melt).
Thank you. What about wool and linen?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That’s a leather worker’s awl Carbon Thief 🙂

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bingo Bango posted:

Most of my birds nest issues are usually due to tension and the only time it's been a thread issue was when I was using some really old stuff.
i turned the tension down quite low, because the fabric is light. is that ok? i can do all sorts of things with hand sewing but on the machine i'm horrifyingly out of my depth. this isn't even my own machine--I'm staying in some rando's house during the lockdown.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

HEY GUNS posted:

Thank you. What about wool and linen?

Pure linen will survive anything pure cotton can. Wool-- all depends on how it is spun and if it's been treated or felted or mixed with any other fiber. (Even if it's 100% wool it still may come out of an autoclave all wonky. I am primarily a knitter and speak from experience on wool.) Probably best to stay with the thread they ask for if possible.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

effika posted:

Pure linen will survive anything pure cotton can. Wool-- all depends on how it is spun and if it's been treated or felted or mixed with any other fiber. (Even if it's 100% wool it still may come out of an autoclave all wonky. I am primarily a knitter and speak from experience on wool.) Probably best to stay with the thread they ask for if possible.

OK cool. What about for home use? If I, for instance, boil them--what material will survive that?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

A quick Google tells me polyester melts just shy of 500f, so it wouldn't survive an autoclave but I'd think would be fine with boiling. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. E: I would not boil poly fabric nor is it suitable for masks.

Wool fabric or yarn felts from boiling unless it's been treated and is labeled superwash. Superwash wool can still shrink in a dryer. Not knowing how wool sewing thread is treated, I would only use it if it's the only thing I have on hand and can't get anything else.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
The masks I made for my former medical coworkers had polyester ribbon ties, and apparently there's a lower temp autoclave setting that kills the virus without melting polyester.

Now if I'd known they were going to autoclave them, I wouldn't have used polyester in the first place, but of course they told me that AFTER I made and delivered them all.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

HEY GUNS posted:

i turned the tension down quite low, because the fabric is light. is that ok? i can do all sorts of things with hand sewing but on the machine i'm horrifyingly out of my depth. this isn't even my own machine--I'm staying in some rando's house during the lockdown.

You really only fool with tension when your threads are different/special weights, not the fabric itself. The machine manual will tell you what tension you really want, but if you're flying blind then start at five and adjust from there is you're getting dropped stitches and/or bird's nests. If your problems only started after putting the bobbin case back in, then the most likely culprit is improper installation. Pull it out, check for any hidden tangles hiding under the needle plate, and reinstall. Report back if problems persist.

Poly thread is safe to boil, (I've done dying with it) but gets dicey at higher temps. Stick to natural fibers, cotton, linen, hemp, silk, or bamboo to be really safe, and if you can find them undyed all the better.

You can use wool in the sense that it's not going to light on fire or melt or anything, but I've never seen wool thread that wasn't basically just lace-weight yarn so it's hard to picture putting that into a machine.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
More mask chat. Made a few more this weekend, using this pattern: https://www.instructables.com/id/Olson-Mask-for-PPE-With-Filter-for-Personal-and-No/

Much less fiddly! Though I think I might size it down a bit if I make more. That first pattern I used had a teen-size and that worked perfectly.

Also I got better at sewing along curves and it turns out that I actually fit a less beaky mask a little better, now that I made some with actual curves.

Nosewire pocket for this pattern is much easier, but involves topstiching.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

effika posted:

More mask chat. Made a few more this weekend, using this pattern: https://www.instructables.com/id/Olson-Mask-for-PPE-With-Filter-for-Personal-and-No/

Much less fiddly! Though I think I might size it down a bit if I make more. That first pattern I used had a teen-size and that worked perfectly.

Also I got better at sewing along curves and it turns out that I actually fit a less beaky mask a little better, now that I made some with actual curves.

Nosewire pocket for this pattern is much easier, but involves topstiching.

You look like Fashion Shredder and I stan!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

That fabric is beautiful

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

You look like Fashion Shredder and I stan!

Oooh Fashion Shredder; I could not hope for better!

Happiness Commando posted:

That fabric is beautiful

Thanks! Random JoAnne fabric find from several years ago. I love marble endpapers and this was so enticing I bought it before I even learned how to use a sewing machine. (I was in for some darning needles for knitting purposes.) It's nice to finally use it!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

effika posted:

It's nice to finally use it!

I have fabric from 2007 that has finally found its calling as a mask.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Still WIP, but sharing with permission. I love how this is coming out so far and thought goons might like a smile.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

BonerGhost posted:

A quick Google tells me polyester melts just shy of 500f, so it wouldn't survive an autoclave but I'd think would be fine with boiling. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. E: I would not boil poly fabric nor is it suitable for masks.

Wool fabric or yarn felts from boiling unless it's been treated and is labeled superwash. Superwash wool can still shrink in a dryer. Not knowing how wool sewing thread is treated, I would only use it if it's the only thing I have on hand and can't get anything else.

Do you work in a hospital? The fabric they use for surgical gowns and draps survive, but I think they're a cotton, like a really tight cotton

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

princess_peach posted:

Do you work in a hospital? The fabric they use for surgical gowns and draps survive, but I think they're a cotton, like a really tight cotton

It's an unwoven cotton material, almost a paper really.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

there wolf posted:

It's an unwoven cotton material, almost a paper really.

Ah I see, I work at a vet and we still there heavy cloth gowns.

BeetleSorceress
Nov 21, 2019
I wonder if anyone can help? I have very little sewing experience but started making a wrap around dress using this pattern I found: http://seecatecreate.com/the-infinity-wrap-dress-this-will-blow-your-mind/

I started making the maxi skirt and got as far as sewing the wide stitch to gather it at the waist. When I put the skirt round me, I was able to pull the threads in to make the skirt gather and fit my waist, but this stops the fabric being able to stretch... so I can't use the stretch of the material to get it on and off over my hips any more as its now a fixed size. I don't understand how it's supposed to work or what I've done wrong? I'm hand sewing if that makes a difference.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Do you need to slip it on, doesn't it wrap on? Or is it a "faux" wrap dress? Is that what you mean?
It's hard to tell from the picture.
It's very pretty. Hand sewing is ambitious especially for a knit!

Peeches fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeetleSorceress
Nov 21, 2019
Yeah it should slip on, sorry I meant 'infinity dress' rather than wrap around (I was thinking of the top half that wraps round in different ways and muddled up my description!)