Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

So, I haven't made the Cholyknight otter yet, but I do have the minky, and my partner insisted that our 2.5-month-old needs a furry vest since his hands get cold a lot.

I cut a pattern off another top he had, and made a lot of mistakes along the way (some of which are noticeable if you look closely). But I also learned a lot about serging minky (lol why did I choose to do it on the serger?), and using woolly nylon on the loopers (also why for this project, but hey I learned stuff), and about assembling waistcoats. Also it's pretty cute on him.

Now I just need to make him a matching otter. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

What kind of hidden stitch would you use to repair the nose on this stuffed calico pig?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'd use a ladder stitch on something like that.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

YggiDee posted:

I'd use a ladder stitch on something like that.

This worked great. Thank you!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I finished a thing I started back in July 2020! I completely lost all creative energy as work ramped up due to the pandemic, but recently had a work week of less than 70hrs and felt an itch... Which was only scratched by finishing this jacket!

It is the Greenstyle Creations Sundance Jacket.

I modified the pocket bags to be big rectangles that I could catch in the front princess seams and hem, giving me inner stash pockets!!

I have a love/hate relationship with the fabric. I love wearing it, and I love sewing seams with only two layers of fabric. I hate top stitching it (though that may just be my machine's fault - its triple straight stitch just looks sloppy, I think), and I hate sewing more than two layers of this stuff.

I learned zippers for this jacket! It shows, but far less than my "let's try THIS foot" experiments on the hem. And the collar is awful but it fits and I am DONE with ripping out stitches on this fabric so I will take it.

Good news is that I wanted this for running/hiking and it'll fit the bill perfectly. I won't baby it since it won't be a jacket that's nice enough for work! It really is comfy to wear and I love having so many pockets. The double zipper means no flapping jacket, something I wish more running clothing companies would understand.

Full details in my Pattern Review page for it.

effika fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 1, 2021

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

My cat and I finally figured out to share space while I sew (no, I don't know why she won't just stay in her bed).

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The machine is warmer.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

effika posted:

I finished a thing I started back in July 2020! I completely lost all creative energy as work ramped up due to the pandemic, but recently had a work week of less than 70hrs and felt an itch... Which was only scratched by finishing this jacket!

Just posting to say this looks fantastic and I would have thought it was from some cool brand if I didn't know if was made by you!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

there wolf posted:

The machine is warmer.

The bed is heated!

cats, man

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Just posting to say this looks fantastic and I would have thought it was from some cool brand if I didn't know if was made by you!

Thanks a lot!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

The bed is heated!

cats, man

The bed doesn't purr, though. Sewing machine is warm, purrs, you pay attention to it=must be cat friend to sit on

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

My cat and I finally figured out to share space while I sew (no, I don't know why she won't just stay in her bed).

Is it so she can see out the window better? Or does she just stare at you?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I think it's mostly so I quit shoving her out of the way, but she does usually look out the window when she's up there. If I'm not sewing, she just sits next to the machine or sleeps in her bed.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have someone who has been hinting they may want a new sewing machine. They aren't a professional seamstress or anything, but they do somewhat frequently sew.

I was thinking about getting this machine: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JJ6L6PY/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&returnFromLogin=1

The problem is, I don't really know what to look for. This one seemed to get good reviews and seemed to be relatively durable. Anything I should be looking for otherwise? I don't particularly wanna go up in price much more than this.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

From what I read, it's an ok machine, but not really "heavy duty", it's not as beefy as an OG Swiss-made Singer.

If they want to do leather or heavy denim, it's probably not gonna cut it, but otherwise it'll be a nice choice.

Machines with too many fancy features make me skeptical, like "so where did they cheap out?". Personally I just want straight and zig-zag stitches, forward and reverse, but I'm very utilitarian that way.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 5, 2021

effika
Jun 19, 2005

eonwe posted:

I have someone who has been hinting they may want a new sewing machine. They aren't a professional seamstress or anything, but they do somewhat frequently sew.

I was thinking about getting this machine: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JJ6L6PY/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&returnFromLogin=1

The problem is, I don't really know what to look for. This one seemed to get good reviews and seemed to be relatively durable. Anything I should be looking for otherwise? I don't particularly wanna go up in price much more than this.

I have that machine! It's perfectly good enough for most things.

Also it's at least $80 overpriced, but I guess that's what pandemic prices are like for sewing machines. Normally you could get something with more quality of life bonuses, like a thread cutter, speed adjust knob, needle up/down setting, etc, for that kind of money.

There's a very good chance the bobbin tension is set wrong from the factory. So if they can't seem to stop getting bird's nests, try adjusting that. My posts in this thread have a link to a YouTube video that shows how to adjust it.

Also the pedal is probably going to take off super fast with a little bit of pressure. There's a resistor knob to help adjust that, but you have to take the pedal apart to get to it.

I wouldn't call this machine an upgrade from anything other than the little machines that just do hems, but it is a good basic mechanical machine.

Do you happen to have any hints or ideas on things they don't like about their current machine, or features that they might like? That can help find a good fit.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for your help! And no, I don't have a lot of info, other than she wants me to keep it very cheap. I don't think she is doing leather or anything, so it sounds like this one will work! Thanks folks

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

KozmoNaut posted:

Machines with too many fancy features make me skeptical, like "so where did they cheap out?". Personally I just want straight and zig-zag stitches, forward and reverse, but I'm very utilitarian that way.

Mine cuts the thread at the push of a button, which is great.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

maybe not sewing related (unless it does end up being sewing related), but i have an issue with a bad zipper. i got this bag from the army surplus store about 10 years ago.. 5 years ago all the pullers on this thing broke off, and then the zipper teeth started separating. i've been using the bag without the zippers just fine but i would like to see if i can attach a zipper that works.

looking at tutorials online generally you break off the stopper and then reinsert a new body. but this bag doesn't have a stopper (or if there is its in the fabric flap over the tape of the zipper. also b/c of that, there's no excess chain for me to go and reattach a new body onto it.

is there a way to reattach a body onto a chain without removing a "stopper"? there may be a stopper that's being covered up by the fabric at the ends of the zipper but i can't really find a stopper when i feel around.

the zipper is also completely inset with the bag and there doesn't seem to be a way to pull off an end to attach a new zipper body. would i have to just completely rip out the entire tape to get a new working zipper in? asking for suggestions since i prefer not to have to do much sewing since i'm no good at it.

edit: picture:

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 7, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Strong Sauce posted:

maybe not sewing related (unless it does end up being sewing related), but i have an issue with a bad zipper. i got this bag from the army surplus store about 10 years ago.. 5 years ago all the pullers on this thing broke off, and then the zipper teeth started separating. i've been using the bag without the zippers just fine but i would like to see if i can attach a zipper that works.

looking at tutorials online generally you break off the stopper and then reinsert a new body. but this bag doesn't have a stopper (or if there is its in the fabric flap over the tape of the zipper. also b/c of that, there's no excess chain for me to go and reattach a new body onto it.

is there a way to reattach a body onto a chain without removing a "stopper"? there may be a stopper that's being covered up by the fabric at the ends of the zipper but i can't really find a stopper when i feel around.

the zipper is also completely inset with the bag and there doesn't seem to be a way to pull off an end to attach a new zipper body. would i have to just completely rip out the entire tape to get a new working zipper in? asking for suggestions since i prefer not to have to do much sewing since i'm no good at it.

I got this kit a few years ago and have used it three or four times:
https://smile.amazon.com/Zipper-Rescue-Repair-Kit-Clothing/dp/B0001DUQFU/

Ideally yes, you'd undo the crimped on piece of metal stopper and unzip the old pull and put on a new one, but if you use a lot of force (I used pliers) you can kind of mash the zipper together by hand, then force the pull on causing it to start zipping normally. It has the potential to damage the teeth so I won't guarantee it'll be better than nothing, but I've had some good luck and was definitely not going to replace a whole zipper due to a problem with the pull. If you don't get the teeth lined up a bit before you start sometimes it'll zip on one tooth out of alignment and be a little weird all the way open or closed.

The way I'd attempt this would be to put the one side into the new pull (easy), then when it's lined up properly, jam a couple of teeth from the other side into the wide end so that it will attempt to zip them to the existing half.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Strong Sauce posted:

So whats happened is that the bottom and top plates have gotten pushed apart over time, an are no longer applying enough pressure to the teeth to force them together. You should be able to squash them together with pliers and get it working again. Then you just find something else to work as a pull-tab. Keyrings work really well. In a similar vein, they also make sliders you can snap on without having to gently caress with the zipper track at all.

If that doesn't work/isn't' an option, then I probably just sacrifice a half-inch or so of opening and cut the track to remove the old zip, and feed a new one on. do it as close to an end as you can get, swap your zip and zip it the other side of the track, then sew a big old darning patch over the cut and install a stop before it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Have you considered just replacing the whole zip? That's what a bag repair place would do.

You'd just want to make sure your machine can sew canvas.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

yeah there are 3 zippers on this thing, 2 of the zippers completely disintegrated when i used some pliers to apply a small amount of force. the main one pictured i have already clamped down pretty hard on it and still they don't catch any of the teeth so i guess i'm going to have to go the route of pulling out some of the teeth and replacing the zipper body.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Have you considered just replacing the whole zip? That's what a bag repair place would do.

You'd just want to make sure your machine can sew canvas.

yeah i don't have a machine, i just know some basic sewing by hand. i wanted to get some advice since it seems closest to sewing. the tape is sewn pretty tightly to the bag so pulling that out and trying to sew a new one would probably be out of my skill level.

i'll probably end up looking at those zippers that can snap down.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

yeah there are 3 zippers on this thing, 2 of the zippers completely disintegrated when i used some pliers to apply a small amount of force. the main one pictured i have already clamped down pretty hard on it and still they don't catch any of the teeth so i guess i'm going to have to go the route of pulling out some of the teeth and replacing the zipper body.

yeah i don't have a machine, i just know some basic sewing by hand. i wanted to get some advice since it seems closest to sewing. the tape is sewn pretty tightly to the bag so pulling that out and trying to sew a new one would probably be out of my skill level.

i'll probably end up looking at those zippers that can snap down.

I've done this repair to a fake leather purse! It's actually less stressful to do it to something by hand than with a machine, I find. Time consuming, but you know every step of the way that you're sewing it in how you want it to look.

These are good basic instructions.

Get yourself a seam ripper, a thicker needle to handle the canvas, and some heavy-duty thread just to be extra secure and you'll be repairing it in no time.

You can find an amazing selection of notions like zippers and needles at Wawak. Zippers are sized by how big the teeth are, so measure what you have and see if you can match it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

effika posted:

I've done this repair to a fake leather purse! It's actually less stressful to do it to something by hand than with a machine, I find. Time consuming, but you know every step of the way that you're sewing it in how you want it to look.

These are good basic instructions.

Get yourself a seam ripper, a thicker needle to handle the canvas, and some heavy-duty thread just to be extra secure and you'll be repairing it in no time.

You can find an amazing selection of notions like zippers and needles at Wawak. Zippers are sized by how big the teeth are, so measure what you have and see if you can match it.

thanks, this is a good video that i'll bookmark but after looking at my bag i don't think i can do this without undoing other parts of the bag. for example the main zipper has a small pocket that is sewn in with the tape of the main zipper so my guess is if i cut all the stitching to patch in a new zipper the pocket will also fall out. there's also a pocket on the back of the bag where if i cut its stitching the flap on the bag may fall off. since all the stitching is still pretty strong and intact, i'd rather not mess with it. i think i'll go with the easier route of replacing the zipper bodies.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

I made the otter from the Cholyknight pattern!

And here's my kid with his matching jacket:

It was my first time making a plush, so there was a certain amount of unpicking and re-sewing. But it came out pretty well, and the seams should be solid.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
That might be the cutest matching set I’ve ever seen, it looks great! The fabric looks so soft too :swoon:

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I made the otter from the Cholyknight pattern!

And here's my kid with his matching jacket:

It was my first time making a plush, so there was a certain amount of unpicking and re-sewing. But it came out pretty well, and the seams should be solid.

Oooh, cuddly!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Admiral Goodenough posted:

That might be the cutest matching set I’ve ever seen, it looks great! The fabric looks so soft too :swoon:

Thanks! And yeah, it's minky from Shannon fabrics, and is incredibly soft.

Haha when he grows out of that jacket (likely within a few months at most) my plan is to make him a hoodie with ears and eyes so he can fully match.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Got a sewing machine last april-ish because I'm (very slowly) building a couch from scratch and I needed to learn to sew boxed cushions. I still haven't finished the couch, but I have been fixing all of my ridiculously expensive and extremely ragged work clothes (which are the only kind of clothes I even own anymore). Discovered that machine darning pants is easy and shockingly strong. Also means my ~$380 sewing machine has essentially paid for itself already.
I just fixed the cuffs on my Arborwear double thick hoodie which feels like actual sewing for once, and was scary despite turning out to be a piece of cake.

I have gigantic hands and the original cuffs have pretty minimal stretch. I used good quality tubular knit rib and it's crazy stretchy and I can actually get the hoodie off without turning the sleeves inside out now. I made them longer which I love too.

More people should know how cool sewing is.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Hypnolobster posted:

Got a sewing machine last april-ish because I'm (very slowly) building a couch from scratch and I needed to learn to sew boxed cushions. I still haven't finished the couch, but I have been fixing all of my ridiculously expensive and extremely ragged work clothes (which are the only kind of clothes I even own anymore). Discovered that machine darning pants is easy and shockingly strong. Also means my ~$380 sewing machine has essentially paid for itself already.
I just fixed the cuffs on my Arborwear double thick hoodie which feels like actual sewing for once, and was scary despite turning out to be a piece of cake.

I have gigantic hands and the original cuffs have pretty minimal stretch. I used good quality tubular knit rib and it's crazy stretchy and I can actually get the hoodie off without turning the sleeves inside out now. I made them longer which I love too.

More people should know how cool sewing is.

That's a pretty cool sweaterhack! Meanwhile I'm over here like.. one of these days I'll shorten the sleeves on this one particular hoodie.. :thunk:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
My husband wanted a new mask for work. When I gave it to him, he frowned.

"Sorry the plaid's a little off," I said. "I didn't feel like getting the walking foot out."

"I'm not worried about the plaid..."

Oklaho

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
I'm an OklaHO for OU!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

effika posted:

My husband wanted a new mask for work. When I gave it to him, he frowned.

"Sorry the plaid's a little off," I said. "I didn't feel like getting the walking foot out."

"I'm not worried about the plaid..."

Oklaho

In my continuing saga of Inappropriate Masks for Work, my husband picked out some stripey fabric and wanted the stripes vertical.

Me: "Do you have any Georgia O'keeffe's up at work?"

Him: "Yeah, why?"

Me: *points*

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

While I was digging through the ol' closet, I rediscovered this lovely shirt dress that I'm pretty sure I got at a TJ Maxx when I was like 17. Fits great, super cute except for one problem: the buttons absolutely will not stay buttoned.

Teenage me apparently thought a few eye hooks would solve the problem and was too lazy to do more than that when it clearly wasn't enough to stop me from flashing everyone.

I'd really like to fix it, mostly so that I don't have to buy a new dress to wear to a wedding this August. So far I've come up with the following ideas:
  • Make the button holes smaller - risk here is it looking weird
  • Replace existing buttons with bigger ones - which requires either a hunt to find a matching fabric to re-created these fabric covered buttons, or just putting in something complementary. Still makes me a little nervous about them popping open, but it would hopefully be more secure.
  • Give teen Bingo Bango some credit, and just keep at it with the hook-and-eye closures down the rest of the dress
  • Add some alternate hidden closure inside - no idea what this would entail but seems like it would be the most secure?
Any advice (or additional suggestions) would be greatly appreciated!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bigger buttons or smaller buttonholes, the latter would be the easier option, you can do a few stitches on each side of the holes by hand which would take a little while but when it’s done it’s done.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I'd either make the buttonholes smaller (which you should be able to do by hand with a matching cream colored thread) or replace the buttons with something else, maybe mother of pearl.

I would, however, worry that it's maybe a little too white and lacy for a wedding? I guess that would depend on the dress code and how you accessorize though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Teen me would have used adhesive velcro dots, so good on teen you for choosing something reasonable!

Thirding that a few stitches of matching thread to make the buttonholes smaller is probably the easiest option.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Sounds like tightening up the button holes is the easy way to go to start! Thanks all!

I would, however, worry that it's maybe a little too white and lacy for a wedding? I guess that would depend on the dress code and how you accessorize though.

I think my phone camera did a crappy job conveying the color - it's definitely a very yellow dress. It's an outdoor wedding, but kind of fancy? It's my wife's brother's wedding and they are spending an obscene amount of money on it, so I guess wearing a cheap (but nice!) dress I altered is the small bit of pettiness/rebellion/self-satisfaction I'm permitting myself. I have something nicer that I bought pre-COVID for it (the wedding has been rescheduled 3 times), but it looks like poo poo on me now and I can't bring myself to even think about shopping for something else.

effika posted:

Teen me would have used adhesive velcro dots, so good on teen you for choosing something reasonable!

lol, I'm pretty sure I scavenged those from the sewing kit that used to belong to my grandmother. There's still a very tattered bit cardboard packaging floating around the bottom of the sewing kit with a couple of orphaned closures attached to it.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
If you don't *need* it to open all the way down the front, you could also just sew the placket shut for most of the length, and tighten up the buttonholes on the remainder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

hello. still beginner here.. i'm looking to hand darn some socks that have holes in them. i want to start out with the basics and just see how i like it.

can i just buy any random darning kit or are there specifics ones i should avoid. seems like most of them are kinda just imported from aliexpress... which is fine. but just wanted to see if i should avoid those if they're "bad"

also my practice project is to darn some uniqlo socks that have about 1-1.5cm holes.. is there a specific yarn i should look for for those kinda socks?