Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaineMan
Jan 10, 2006
Kind of a stupid question, but what's the difference between straight up wool and an acrylic wool blend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Pure wool is made out of just wool and an acrylic-wool blend is made out of wool and acrylic? That's like asking about the difference between a strawberry smoothie and a strawberry-banana smoothie. Or do you mean how are the properties different?

MaineMan
Jan 10, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Pure wool is made out of just wool and an acrylic-wool blend is made out of wool and acrylic? That's like asking about the difference between a strawberry smoothie and a strawberry-banana smoothie. Or do you mean how are the properties different?

Yeah, the functional differences (softness, insulating ability)

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

MaakHatt posted:

Yeah, the functional differences (softness, insulating ability)

Depending on how the wool is treated (it is superwash?), it might have to be handwashed. Wool is better for keeping in heat, but takes a long time to dry compared to acrylic. Both can be varying degrees of softness, but the nicest wool (such as really good merino) is always softer than the nicest acrylic.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
There's a tutorial in the OP about hemming jeans using the original hem. Has anyone tried this on jeans they wear and wash a lot? I'm worried that a crease like that will begin to show after lots of washing, or the out-of-place hem will flare out over time or something. I'm a sewing newbie but that's just what my instinct tells me. Someone ease my mind?

I bought two very dark wash, cheap Kohl's house brand pairs of skinny jeans on clearance and just wanted to see how skinnies look and feel on me. Jamming the teeny foot hole into the sewing machine and keeping it even the whole way round is worrying me enough as it is. :/

Muffy_the_Diver
Oct 19, 2004

ALL ABOARD THE BUTT TRAIN

drat Bananas posted:

Jamming the teeny foot hole into the sewing machine and keeping it even the whole way round is worrying me enough as it is. :/

It might be easier to just hem it by hand at that point. Granted, I've never hemmed pants before so I don't really know what I'm talking about, but handstitching is a lot easier to get super-precise (especially if you want a blind hem), and your hands are more flexible than your sewing machine. :)

Do y'all know how I can recreate the ruffly hem on this scarf?

The fabric appears to be stretch jersey; is it just an overlock stitch with a super super short stitch length? Or do you need to actively stretch the fabric by hand as it's going through the machine? A mix of both? Help :(

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
From what I understand it's a standard rolled hem on the serger or you can do it on a standard machine with a small zig-zag stitch, but yes, you stretch the fabric as you sew.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Hello sewing goons,
Today I bought a sewing machine, it was a nice looking machine with a good weight to it and on sale. I am very pleased with this purchase. After about an hour of figuring poo poo out I was sewing up some Kefiyeh's I had cut for altering. I am amazed out how I did about 3 hours work by hand in as many minutes. I bought a ton of un-dyed cheap cotton to practice on. My intention is to make my own clothes as I am a 120 pound 5'8 male, nothing in stores ever fits and I enjoy fashion.

This promises to be a very fun hobby. Hopefully I can get some pictures of whatever I make up soon as I will need some help for sure. I have pretty much zero knowledge of sewing beyond basic repairs by hand, but I do learn fast.

Any good tips for a newcomer?

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 13, 2010

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Since this thread here is not very active you might want to hop on over to patternreview.com (there's even a male sub-forum for us dudes) .

What do you mean by "types" ? Patterns ? I like these:
Burda 8471 Shirt
Simplicity 2741 SHIRT, VEST AND BOXER SHORTS

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Fixed that, I meant to say tips.

Those look pretty good, though looking around I have found that most male patterns seem to be extremely basic and bland. As I have an unusual frame for a guy I enjoy using that and dressing a little more daring. I think I'll just have to dedicate myself to coming up with some interesting stuff on my own. I'm really good at learning things like this.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
What kind of tips ?

The typical patterns are bland, but they are great starting points to add your own embellishments. If you have access to a printer and money to burn this one might help with creating a better fit :
http://www.wildginger.com/products/pmtailormade.htm

Muffy_the_Diver
Oct 19, 2004

Thank you, handbags at dawn!

Do y'all have any decent, cheap-ish resources for leatherworking/shoemaking? I'm mostly interested in how to make the soles, and how to attach the uppers to them. Goldaline, if you're still keeping up with the thread, I seem to recall you have some experience with shoemaking? Do you have any resources you're willing to share? :ohdear:

I'm also looking to learn the basic principles behind draping - I looked around online and at the bookstore, and all I found was a vintage draping book from the '70s which would be awesome if I had $40 to blow on it. I even poked through the current wave of Art-Institute-recommended 101-level fashion design/patternmaking textbooks, and they all basically amounted to "Draping? Uhh, yeah, you can if you want, that's cool, whatever." :mad:

A good basic textbook on how to create patterns/clothing from scratch (I know how to alter patterns, thankyouverymuch mister bookstore!) would be rad.

Edit: I also finished my first paid commission! A friend wanted some panda mittens as a gift for his GF:

I really like how they came out :3:

Muffy_the_Diver fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 19, 2010

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Seriously how hard is it to sew a dress? I haven't touched a sewing machine in 30 years, home economics 1981, and would like to make my wife a dress. If it matters my wife is a petite small.

Muffy_the_Diver
Oct 19, 2004

Ropes4u: I don't have too much dressmaking experience, but if you have a pattern that fits her well, it should be straightforward and not too difficult - just follow the pattern and voila (usually patterns will say the difficulty level somewhere on the envelope). As pattern brands go, Butterick, McCall's and Simplicity tend to be pretty easy to follow, though I've heard that Vogue patterns are extremely confusing unless you have a pretty good handle on sewing (I've never used Vogue, myself).

If you have to edit the pattern to fit her, then it becomes a lot trickier, though if you're handy with visualizing where and how areas need to be taken in/lengthened/etc (or have a guide), then it'll probably work out okay. Personally, I'd make a test garmet out of muslin and fit it to her, then use that as the pattern. My experience with cheaper patterns (McCalls and Simplicity, specifically) taught me to do that since their sizing tends to be woefully inaccurate. For example, I tried to make a skirt that said the waist was 28" and when I stitched it all up (accounting for the seam allowances and such) it wound up being about 34". It's entirely possible that I misread the pattern, but even if I somehow didn't account for allowances, there shouldn't have been that huge a difference!

Depending upon your skill level, a basic sewing book (I use this one) that defines terminology and gives step-by-step instructions on things like installing zippers or making blind hems is super useful.

Not sure how much help that is, but good luck! If you do make her things, be sure to post them :3:

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

Seriously how hard is it to sew a dress? I haven't touched a sewing machine in 30 years, home economics 1981, and would like to make my wife a dress. If it matters my wife is a petite small.

I posted the dress I made for my wife in this thread a while ago. Using knit instead of woven fabric helped a lot - just make it a size smaller and the stretch will take care of the fit.
A cocktail dress I made for my mom was a lot more tricky due to getting it fitted properly.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Thank you Muddy and Cross I will see of. Can find a nice pattern and give it a shot..

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
You also might ask over in the womens fashion thread in Watch and Weight. I think I remember there being fashion design goonettes in there.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Man goons seeing all these quilts makes me really want to make one. Recently I haven't made anything other than costumes or doll clothes. I did however purchase a few normal wear patterns the other day in hopes to make myself a dress or two, some skirts and possibly a jacket, we shall see if the motivation stays. Not looking forward to sifting through the mess I call a craft room to dig out my sewing machines.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Ordered a skirt pattern today, pickup the sewing machine tomorrow, material after the holiday...

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Well so far this has been fun and very educational. I have been making a solid effort at drafting a tee-shirt pattern from scratch. It is hard as hell given that I have no training or even half a clue. Very fun and rewarding though, it feels great every time I figure out a mistake I've made. At this point I think the pattern is more or less done, though the sleeves could use some refining.

I have a feeling there is a general order in which you sew things together. My last try everything fit together pretty well, but in the armpits and top of the shoulders where it meets the sleeve things looked sloppy. I have a feeling this is because I made putting the sleeves on the last step. I think I should be sewing them on earlier in the process, like before I sew up the seams on the side.

Even though things are slow going its still a good time. I guess thats what hobbies are all about.

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl
I just got my very first sewing machine for Christmas! W00t! I buy and wear a lot of vintage clothes so can anyone recommend a book on how to do simple alterations to clothes (preferably both vintage and modern)?

Yurpdod
May 31, 2003

Bad Sneakers posted:

I just got my very first sewing machine for Christmas! W00t! I buy and wear a lot of vintage clothes so can anyone recommend a book on how to do simple alterations to clothes (preferably both vintage and modern)?
Haha I'm the exact same! Just got a sewing machine for Christmas... wear a lot of vintage clothes... want to learn how to do alterations.

Today I experimented with an old polo shirt that was too big for me. I put it on inside-out and made marks where there was extra fabric. I then took in the sides and the sleeves and cut off the excess fabric and it fits me like a glove now! It's so exciting.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

I'm jumping on the "got a sewing machine for Christmas" bandwagon. My mom surprised me and totally got me one out of the blue. :3 I've never really sewn anything before so this will be an exciting new jump into a hobby. When I get back to my apartment, I'm going to take the sucker out and figure out how to use it. I have some friends that sew so I can ask for their help.

For beginning fabrics, what would be a good start?

Also I read somewhere that an apron would be a good starting pattern to do. Any other suggestions? I'm interested in making quilts as well. Is that more of an advanced thing to do?

This might be a silly question, but is there a Ravelry equivalent for those people who sew? I'm really into crocheting and love Ravelry so I was kinda hoping there would be one for sewers.

Ms. Happiness fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 30, 2010

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
The first thing I ever made was a pair of pyjama pants, and they weren't too difficult, and in the end it didn't matter if you messed up because they're just pj pants. I also started out by learning how to reconstruct things. I made a huge t-shirt into a tank top and it still holds together, 5 years later :)

Ms. Manchair
May 27, 2003
In my plan... we are beltless!
My mother also got me a sewing machine for Christmas, I think as a subtle hint that as a 23 year old woman I shouldn't be taking stuff home for mum to hem/turn up/repair any more!

I've make sock animals and patchworky cushions by hand for years and ocassionally borrowed mums old machine but never had my own before, it's so fancy, it pretty much threads itself, and button holes are now a 2 minute job!! Hurrah!

My other half must've conspired with Mum and one of his presents to me was a really nice Cath Kidston sewing book from which I made this bag both to practice on the machine and hold all my threads and what not.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

I want to start doing my own clothes and quilts for presents and all sorts - does anyone have any tips for the best places to buy fabric in the UK? Will it be best just to head to the market?

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Ms. Happiness posted:

For beginning fabrics, what would be a good start?
Light or dark wovens, preferrably 100% cotton either solid color or with a non-directional print.

Here's why:
- light or dark fabric makes it easy to mark with dissolving ink or chalk
- woven cotton instead of knit/synthetics reduces skipped stitches, bobbin tangles, and ravelling edges
- solid color or non-directional prints allow you to piece things together in any which way saving fabric and sanity (at the cost of fitting properly but that's for a later time)

Another good choice are non-wovens such as fleece or suede which will not ravel and are easy to sew- I like Nancy Cornwell's fleece books :
http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Polarfleece-Expedition-Nancy-Cornwell/dp/0873415558/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1294178905&sr=8-7

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
** Cross-posted from the Plush Monstrosities and Corgi threads, but I figured this thread would enjoy this too **

My friend's birthday was over the weekend and I made her a plush version of her dog. From design to completion was about a week, so I'm happy with it.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

OMG, that is so adorable!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

nolen posted:

** Cross-posted from the Plush Monstrosities and Corgi threads, but I figured this thread would enjoy this too **

My friend's birthday was over the weekend and I made her a plush version of her dog. From design to completion was about a week, so I'm happy with it.

AUGH That's so loving cute D: How did you come up with the pattern? I'm interested in making very, very large scale soft toys for my artwork and I'm just beginning to tackle figuring out my own patterns.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Shnooks posted:

AUGH That's so loving cute D: How did you come up with the pattern? I'm interested in making very, very large scale soft toys for my artwork and I'm just beginning to tackle figuring out my own patterns.

I had several reference photos of her dog (seriously, she takes pictures almost every day) that helped me create a 3D model using a free program called Sculptris. You could use any 3D modeling application but this is what I prefer, though I venture into another modeling program called EasyToy sometimes.

After that, I take the 3D model into a program called PatternImage. PatternImage is sold by a company called Livesforce, who also owns EasyToy. It's expensive software, too ($900 a year or $3k forever, though you get both applications for these prices). This software lets me draw seams along the 3D model and then unwrap them into a 2D pattern.

Last step is just printing it out and sewing it all up. When I get home I can show some in-progress shots of the software if there's enough interest. I've also heard of some people using Pepakura (a paper model pattern creation software) for its unwrapping. The patterns will be a bit more blocky but it's substantially cheaper and might at least get you off to a good start on your pattern.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

nolen posted:

I had several reference photos of her dog (seriously, she takes pictures almost every day) that helped me create a 3D model using a free program called Sculptris. You could use any 3D modeling application but this is what I prefer, though I venture into another modeling program called EasyToy sometimes.

After that, I take the 3D model into a program called PatternImage. PatternImage is sold by a company called Livesforce, who also owns EasyToy. It's expensive software, too ($900 a year or $3k forever, though you get both applications for these prices). This software lets me draw seams along the 3D model and then unwrap them into a 2D pattern.

Last step is just printing it out and sewing it all up. When I get home I can show some in-progress shots of the software if there's enough interest. I've also heard of some people using Pepakura (a paper model pattern creation software) for its unwrapping. The patterns will be a bit more blocky but it's substantially cheaper and might at least get you off to a good start on your pattern.

I was starting to look for 3D model programs, but because of time restraints I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to learn how to use it and make the pattern. I'm still in school so I have a semester to make as much poo poo as possible. My last review went badly because I had almost no work, so I can't have that happen again.

I looked at PepaKura too, but couldn't find any of what I was looking for.

Thanks for the advice though. I'll look around for those programs and all and see what I can do. Maybe the fashion dept computers have PatternImage on it that I can use.

So far I've been playing with making models out of plastic bags and paper, covering it with tape, covering it with saran wrap, re-taping it, then cutting up. I haven't sewed anything from it yet.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Shnooks posted:

I was starting to look for 3D model programs, but because of time restraints I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to learn how to use it and make the pattern. I'm still in school so I have a semester to make as much poo poo as possible. My last review went badly because I had almost no work, so I can't have that happen again.

I looked at PepaKura too, but couldn't find any of what I was looking for.

Thanks for the advice though. I'll look around for those programs and all and see what I can do. Maybe the fashion dept computers have PatternImage on it that I can use.

So far I've been playing with making models out of plastic bags and paper, covering it with tape, covering it with saran wrap, re-taping it, then cutting up. I haven't sewed anything from it yet.

Sculptris is my go-to application because it's ridiculously easy to pick up. It's like digital modeling clay (similar to Z-Brush and MudBox if you're familiar) and exports to .OBJ, which most other 3D applications accept.

I would be very jealous if your school had copies of PatternImage installed. It's such a niche program that I've never even heard of anyone else using it outside of someone in this thread randomly stumbling upon it. No online tutorials outside of those provided by the company (who is based in China), and the documentation leaves much to be desired.

Most Fashion departments will use something like Wild Ginger or PatternMaker, which are geared more toward garment creation, but it's possible that they could prove useful.

Spend a few minutes playing with Sculptris if you get the chance, you might be a prodigy! http://www.sculptris.com/

nolen fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 7, 2011

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Glad to hear that my PatternImage recommendation is working out for you.
When I was messing around with Pepakura I kept running into limitations due to high poly obj files. It really wants low poly meshes to begin with. It would be awesome if you could just take any OBJ, have Pepakura reduce it, spit out an image complete with textures and then send it off to Spoonflower for printing. No more pattern tracing !

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Cross_ posted:

Glad to hear that my PatternImage recommendation is working out for you.
When I was messing around with Pepakura I kept running into limitations due to high poly obj files. It really wants low poly meshes to begin with. It would be awesome if you could just take any OBJ, have Pepakura reduce it, spit out an image complete with textures and then send it off to Spoonflower for printing. No more pattern tracing !

Ah yes, it was you who found PatternImage! It's been pretty useful so far, though their copy protection scheme is annoying (dongle+tied to the system clock).

As far as polycount, you can throw an OBJ into most 3D programs and reduce the count using whatever tools they have available. Sculptris has a "Reduce Brush" that lets you paint over the model to reduce the number of polys used. I'm sure other programs have something similar, though you're probably onto something with Pepakura's limitations. I wish there were a cheaper version of PatternImage.

SLE
Apr 10, 2005
is not here
Hello all! First time posting here so I'm not sure(I kind of am) if this is where I should be placing this so I'll try and let's see what happens~

Recently a brother of my friend went to college and left a ton of clothes behind which their family started selling and I got to get some stuff for free(:woop:)

There was some never-worn PVC/pleather brown jacket he left there that fits me kinda small and is thin but hey looks like something I could totally try to customize since it's very plain.

Thing is, a button already fell off because it kinda ripped and seems flimsy. My girl knows how to sow and knit and dye and has a bunch of things she can do to it and I have some awesome patches and racing stripes I would like to add but I'm just wondering if I'm going to ruin it in the process. Seems like leather dye would be a waste since it's not real leather.

Anyone else know how to work this material? All I've read are people just ruining the material since it seems cheap and at this point we're just thinking of saying gently caress it and going for it and coloring it black and trying different areas for different ways of coloring(read about people using sharpies/spray paint/leather dye) and just doing everything we want to it and if it doesn't work out oh well we got it free for project use. But I don't want to mess this up since it never gets that cold here so a real leather thick jacket is out of the question, plus my buddy wants to see how it turns out.

(Found the jacket model picture guess it's from Dillards. Here's a pic)

Click here for the full 639x776 image.

Fake Edit: Sorry I'm doing this whole "hey my project!" thing wrong without actually having started on it, but I don't want it to go to waste and want it to turn out rad and show it off because I could really see this turning awesome.

Real Edit: Cross posted from the place where I posted it before.

SLE fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 15, 2011

Muffy_the_Diver
Oct 19, 2004

I got a dressform! :neckbeard: A friend was (I guess) feeling guilty that she kept asking me to watch their house on short notice, so she got sneaky and had my BF take my measurements, and ordered me one of those Dritz adjustable ones. I had been trying to make my own through elaborate use of papier mache and expanding spray-in builder's foam, but it wasn't working out. Once I finish a couple backlogged projects, I'm all OVER this thing. :3:

SLE posted:

pleather stuff

Don't worry about not having started the project before asking for help; being informed is never a bad thing! Also, any traffic to this thread is honestly good traffic. It doesn't move nearly fast enough (please post pics when you're done, though! this sounds like a fun project). :3:

Since it's some sort of vinyl/PVC material, leather dye will likely not work (plastics won't absorb the dye). If you use sharpies, they'll wipe off and leave stains on things. Spray paint sounds like a really neat idea, especially if you want a distressed look - it will probably crack and wear off in interesting ways, but unlike sharpies will just drop little flecks of dried enamel (which don't stain couches and whatnot). They also make a special "plastic" spraypaint that is flexible and bonds to plastics; you might try that if you don't want it cracking off eventually. Dunno if it'll work long-term, though. Experiment! You might also look at the stencil thread in CC for some spraypainting ideas. The talent in that thread is amazing!

Also, be careful if you try sewing things to it - make sure you place them where you want them the first time, because if you remove stitches the vinyl material will be left permanently perforated. Although that might be an interesting design element itself; make some neat designs on paper, tape the paper to the coat, and then trace the design with an un-threaded sewing machine (just so you have perforated lines on the jacket). Play around with stitch length and needle size (your girl should know what I'm talking about if you don't :) )

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I live in Portland and I just took a class this morning at Modern Domestic. I have never touched a sewing machine before today and I was able to make this.

They have Bernina 330s for classroom machines and these are amazingly simple to use and I love sewing now.

PianoDragn
Jan 30, 2006
Hey guys. So I haven't sewed a single thing since Middle School Home Ec. I have really been wanting a 3 piece suit but I'm too cheap to buy one. It then occured to me I should just learn to make them myself so I can make a closet full of suits for really cheap. Anyways I found a pattern online that I paid 5 bucks for, it doesn't seem to hard. The only areas I think I'll have a problem is with the button holes and the pockets. Am I greatly underestimating how hard this will be? I figure as long as you have patience and attention to detail what else is there really to it?

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

PianoDragn posted:

Hey guys. So I haven't sewed a single thing since Middle School Home Ec. I have really been wanting a 3 piece suit but I'm too cheap to buy one. It then occured to me I should just learn to make them myself so I can make a closet full of suits for really cheap. Anyways I found a pattern online that I paid 5 bucks for, it doesn't seem to hard. The only areas I think I'll have a problem is with the button holes and the pockets. Am I greatly underestimating how hard this will be? I figure as long as you have patience and attention to detail what else is there really to it?

Got any more info? E.g. what pattern will you be using?

Sewing to save money is not very realistic, unless you somehow manage to make your creation look like an Armani and then comparing it to the name brand prices. So if you just want to save some $$$ wait for the department stores to have their semi-annual sales or use coupons. The real advantage of home sewing is customization, i.e. getting a perfect fit with the look and style you want.

Usually the pattern instructions will contain all the essential information but it is not going to be verbose or of high quality. Be sure to create a prototype out of cheap fabric first. Modern machines have 1-step or 4-step buttonhole modes. For ancient machines you can buy buttonhole adapters. Either way button holes are quite easy to make. Pockets on the other hand require more precision and patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.

PianoDragn posted:

I agree that you won't be saving any money by making your own suit. If you want it to actually look nice, you'll have to buy somewhat decent fabric for it, which really adds up. Not to mention the cost of buttons, interfacing, thread, buttons, shoulder pads, quality scissors, rulers, rotary cutter... When I made a simple 3 button coat for Sewing II class at FIT here in NY, it cost approximately $90 for all of my materials.

I'd start with much smaller projects than suits if you haven't sewn since middle school home ec so you don't get overwhelmed/frustrated. Build up your skill level, take a class, etc. It does indeed take a lot of patience and attention to detail, a lot of do-overs, practice, skill, time... Good luck! :)

Edit: I'm also not convinced that a $5 pattern you bought online will be comparable to a good suit you buy in a store, so also be prepared to tailor it and adjust it to your measurements/design.

A.s.P. fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 21, 2011