Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

BonerGhost posted:

Awesome as always. Btw, your makeup kicks rear end.

How'd you get the leggings to stay up? Is that a spandex band?

Thank you! I'm slowly getting better at make up, I've never really worn it until I started to do cosplay. And the thigh highs are definitely toupee-taped to my legs or else they'd be falling right down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
New nursing student here. any tips on tailoring my own scrubs? I’m a dude but even the male scrubs are like wearing a circus tent

e: I have a handmedown sewing machine my grandma gave me, and some limited experience hand-sewing jean repairs and patches and stuff. Is there a particular kind of seam/stitch that’s best for pulling in slack on legs and waists?

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 30, 2018

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
are there any books that people recommend for beginners making clothes for dudes?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

New nursing student here. any tips on tailoring my own scrubs? I’m a dude but even the male scrubs are like wearing a circus tent

e: I have a handmedown sewing machine my grandma gave me, and some limited experience hand-sewing jean repairs and patches and stuff. Is there a particular kind of seam/stitch that’s best for pulling in slack on legs and waists?

No. You're just going to be moving the seams to get ride of the extra fabric. Since scrubs aren't supposed to be exceptionally fitted, you could probably draft a pattern from pants you like to help with the alteration. Do you have an old/cheap pair of scrubs to experiment on?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

bowmore posted:

are there any books that people recommend for beginners making clothes for dudes?

I can’t think of a single one for beginners, I suspect you will have to buy something like the sewing book, then google how to read sewing patterns and buy an easy sewing pattern. Do Not under any circumstances buy one by McCall’s they think cuffs and formal shirt necks are easy when they ain’t and the instructions are badly translated from French. Vogue are the consistently good ones.

Top tips, iron on interfacing is your friend, those sewing clips are also your friend as they are less of a pain than pins, when threading elastic use a large safety/nappy pin. Don’t get hung up on your edges for your first garment, pinking shears will be fine.

If you have never done it before (if you have please ignore) It’s a lot like self assembling furniture. You cut out the paper pattern, iron it on low and with the steam off, then put it on the fabric the way the step by step instructions tell you to and cut it out including all the little marker notches. Put the patterned sides together again as the instructions tell you and then sew round at 16mm (5/8th) from the edge. Then you YouTube all the fiddly bits to make sure you understand them. :)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Holy shot. Check out this Chinese knock off comic book fabric.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITAL-...7QAAOSwfpBahCG1

I’m the fighter Honos.

Edit: oh my god there is more, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marvel-Comic-Book-Strip-Kids-Cartoon-Cotton-Fabric-Curtain-Upholstery-Craft/282648433078

“OMG”

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-COMI...R0AAOSwSwVaZ0ok

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 4, 2019

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Hi, I'm sorry that this isn't in the DIY spirit of the thread, but I was in Malawi last year and bought a big colorful chitenje that I love. I want to make it into a table runner for my dining room table; it's six feet long which is perfect to give it a few inches of overhang on each side.

Can I go to a Michaels or a Joann Fabrics and pay someone there to cut the cloth down to size perfectly and hem the edges? It's a thin cloth and my piece was cut in the market from a bigger bolt of fabric, so the edges are a little frayed and I think that'll just get worse in time.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No questions are unwelcome here :)

I would look and see if there is anyone doing clothes alterations locally, depending on what the wrong side is like you might want to look at putting a backing on it to extend it’s life, and it should be cheaper to give them your own fabric to use than what a chain store will charge you.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Really that's not something a chain store will even do. Go to an alterations place or a curtains/homegoods seamstress, or go to a sewing related business and ask if they can recommend someone.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Oh, I didn't even think of a clothes alteration place for something like this. Love it, thanks!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So I’m live blogging an absolute newbie tutorial here for anyone who is interested.

How to turn any printed picture into a sewable “fabric”, that can be sewn onto collages, or as a patch.

What you need.

1. Something flat to put on your table so preserve it, some use plastic I prefer plywood so you can move it without your work getting crinkled or ruined.

2. Your picture.

3. Scrap cotton, this is a thin cotton shirt material because the picture is thick, light colours for newspaper.

4. That PVC glue you used at school. It’s not worth getting a big bottle, the kiddies ones come with a inbuilt brush which is what you want. Water down the glue if you want the end result to be more flexible.

5. Scissors you only use for this project, scissor sharpeners are a great buy.

Step 1.

Paint the fabric not the picture and make sure it’s really soaked in, then put your picture on top and wait for it to completely dry.

To be continued :) ....

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Part 2. Step 2: when it’s absolutely completely dry paint over the fabric/paper again, ifyou get impatient and it’s still wet then this step will be like stripping wallpaper.

again wait to dry.....

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Last and final part 3.

Now everything is dry you can see that the glue has left a high gloss sheen on the picture.

Step 3. Cut it out and sew it on. I’m doing this by hand but you can use a machine with a white ceramic foot. I use scotch tape because you can sew through it, you could use marking tape, any holes left by pins will be really obvious.

:)

Thing I’ve used this most for over the years is pictures of characters my kids like sewn on to coats, bags, and one time, shoes.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 11, 2019

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
Hi friends! I'm new to the thread and to DIY fashion. I've been beading for maybe about six months, but have only really been making finished jewelery pieces in the last two. I've had a surprising degree of success selling my stuff on Instagram and just opened up an Etsy shop as well. I'm looking for a community of design/crafty people to talk about projects and progress with, as Instagram is pretty impersonal and it's not easy to connect with people in conversation. Here's some pics of my recent projects!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
i started knitting for the first time in twelve years, because gently caress gender roles. i want a longcat.jpg-scale scarf for cheap and i dont care how many incredulous looks it gets me

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i started knitting for the first time in twelve years, because gently caress gender roles. i want a longcat.jpg-scale scarf for cheap and i dont care how many incredulous looks it gets me

The good news is that knitting lends itself well to pixel designs. Have fun! I'd recommend doing some practice swatches first before trying colourwork, though.

(Bad news, it is so not going to be cheaper, yarn gets expensive if you're using anything nicer than cheap baby acrylic.)

I'm currently working on two dresses for a cosplay - I'm going as Ms. Frizzle, and I've got retro rocket fabric and outer space fabric. I'm also adding pockets to the pattern because Simplicity decided not to include pockets in any of the views, which is weird because one of them is a coat.

I'm making really good progress, which is nice because the event I need this for is on the 9th, and I need to leave for it on the 7th. I just need to finish up the facing, and then get the sleeves on and hem them so they won't unravel in the wash. If I've got time, I'll redo the zippers so that they're done in matching thread instead of the white thread I basted them in with.

Progress pics (apologies if they're big, I'm on mobile):
(Also apologies if the pics don't show up, I've never tried adding pics to posts here.)

(Edited to try and add progress pics and cat tax. Not sure if it worked.)

tinytort fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 5, 2019

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Oh, I'd been meaning to post this. Last summer I started a theme camp at our regional Burning Man event with some people. We needed a big space to hold yoga classes and similar workshops, so I made a stretch tent out of swimsuit lycra. It took four people to wrestle the fabric while I fed it through the serger.

(Person pictured is not me. This was the test erection in the local park.)

And this was the tent in action.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That tent is giving me a test erection.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

tinytort posted:

The good news is that knitting lends itself well to pixel designs. Have fun! I'd recommend doing some practice swatches first before trying colourwork, though.

(Bad news, it is so not going to be cheaper, yarn gets expensive if you're using anything nicer than cheap baby acrylic.)

I'm currently working on two dresses for a cosplay - I'm going as Ms. Frizzle, and I've got retro rocket fabric and outer space fabric. I'm also adding pockets to the pattern because Simplicity decided not to include pockets in any of the views, which is weird because one of them is a coat.

I'm making really good progress, which is nice because the event I need this for is on the 9th, and I need to leave for it on the 7th. I just need to finish up the facing, and then get the sleeves on and hem them so they won't unravel in the wash. If I've got time, I'll redo the zippers so that they're done in matching thread instead of the white thread I basted them in with.

Progress pics (apologies if they're big, I'm on mobile):
(Also apologies if the pics don't show up, I've never tried adding pics to posts here.)

(Edited to try and add progress pics and cat tax. Not sure if it worked.)

just longcat-scale. not pixel art, though that’s an amazing idea. im just going 20 stitches wide until this yarn runs out. a friend gave me the yarn for free

it already looks janky as hell. there’s lumps and holes and whatever else, somehow I keep adding mystery stitches I have to later drop when i count and realize im up to 23 or 24

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Oh, I'd been meaning to post this. Last summer I started a theme camp at our regional Burning Man event with some people. We needed a big space to hold yoga classes and similar workshops, so I made a stretch tent out of swimsuit lycra. It took four people to wrestle the fabric while I fed it through the serger.

(Person pictured is not me. This was the test erection in the local park.)

And this was the tent in action.

I love it SO MUCH and what I love possibly even more is the glorious open grassy space you have it set up on. That's prime festival real-estate right there.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

BonerGhost posted:

That tent is giving me a test erection.

Post/av combo, there.

The Doctor posted:

I love it SO MUCH and what I love possibly even more is the glorious open grassy space you have it set up on. That's prime festival real-estate right there.

Thanks! It helps knowing the placement people, and also being super diplomatic and accommodating. Apparently there are a lot of prima donnas at this sort of thing, and being polite goes a long way!

That said we were kind of in a weird place, right on the edge of general camping. The grassy stuff was reserved as footpath, so we had good frontage, but it was a bit of a forgotten corner. It *was* better than where they were going to place us, which was across the road from both a daytime sound camp, and a place called "campocalypse".

But yeah, volunteer-run DIY festivals are where it's at.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Dresses are done and in the wash now. Just in time, too, because it turns out we're leaving a day earlier than I was originally told.

I'm not confident in anything about the sleeves besides that they probably won't fall off, but for two projects done in about a week, I'll be happy with them.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

OMGVBFLOL posted:

just longcat-scale. not pixel art, though that’s an amazing idea. im just going 20 stitches wide until this yarn runs out. a friend gave me the yarn for free

it already looks janky as hell. there’s lumps and holes and whatever else, somehow I keep adding mystery stitches I have to later drop when i count and realize im up to 23 or 24

There's a knitting thread what could probably offer some tips and such: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734732

(Post scarf pics)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

keyboard vomit posted:

There's a knitting thread what could probably offer some tips and such: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734732

(Post scarf pics)

oh sweet, thanks

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Threads been quiet so here's some baby quilt content. I've been trying to downsize my stash so I've been limiting myself to only using what I've already bought.

I got this fabric seven years ago and way over bought, ending up with almost twice as many flying geese blocks as I planned. Since the goal was to use up as much as possible, I decided to make the top bigger which meant I needed more backing than what I'd already bought; came up with the elaborate back as an excuse to use up the original backing, that unicorn print, and a bunch more geese blocks. That ended up taking way longer than I thought, and I had to tie the quilt instead of quilting it to get it done on time.

Learned my lesson and made a much, much simpler back this time so I could actually quilt it. Out of all the quilts I've made, this is probably my favorite.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

there wolf posted:

Threads been quiet so here's some baby quilt content. I've been trying to downsize my stash so I've been limiting myself to only using what I've already bought.

I got this fabric seven years ago and way over bought, ending up with almost twice as many flying geese blocks as I planned. Since the goal was to use up as much as possible, I decided to make the top bigger which meant I needed more backing than what I'd already bought; came up with the elaborate back as an excuse to use up the original backing, that unicorn print, and a bunch more geese blocks. That ended up taking way longer than I thought, and I had to tie the quilt instead of quilting it to get it done on time.

Learned my lesson and made a much, much simpler back this time so I could actually quilt it. Out of all the quilts I've made, this is probably my favorite.

Just wanted to say that these are beautiful!! You have an amazing sense of color and design. I love them!

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
Hey! I bought a box of vintage (?) Singer sewing machine accessories at a thrift store for a buck because I saw a walking foot in it, but I'm having trouble identifying what else is in there.

The big rectangle thing is definitely an automatic buttonholer with a button foot, and I think one of the feet might be a low shank zipper foot.

Would appreciate any help!

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I'm a dude who is sick of clothes that never fit because my proportions are just off enough for modern clothes (Broader than average shoulders. Vintage stuff fits better typically) who wants to learn to sew so he can make his own shirts and whatnot. I have a friend with a sewing machine I can learn on, and assuming I take to it, there's a sewing machine in a tiny town an hour or so drive from here that's for sale that's I'd consider buying, and I'm wondering if it'd be a decent buy. It's a Singer 20u33 with a table and light for $500. Ad says it's a commercial model, with zigzag stitch.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 15, 2019

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I'm a dude who is sick of clothes that never fit because my proportions are just off enough for modern clothes (Broader than average shoulders. Vintage stuff fits better typically) who wants to learn to sew so he can make his own shirts and whatnot. I have a friend with a sewing machine I can learn on, and assuming I take to it, there's a sewing machine in a tiny town an hour or so drive from here that's for sale that's I'd consider buying, and I'm wondering if it'd be a decent buy. It's a Singer 20u33 with a table and light for $500. Ad says it's a commercial model, with zigzag stitch.

You can get a decent Brother for well under $500 new

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
Can it handle hemming pants as well as a commercial machine though?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I’ve gone through several layers of vinyl on mine without any problem, though I suppose if you were trying to punch through actual leather or like five layers of denim it might not be happy

I also snapped two needles on a last minute costume project and I don’t remember why but I’m like 90% sure it’s because I was being a dipshit

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

I've had luck with this site but be ready to find out half your treasure is just pieces from complex attachments long since lost.

Comrade Quack posted:

Can it handle hemming pants as well as a commercial machine though?

Yes, absolutely. Sewing through heavy fabrics is more about having the right needle than having enough power. If you're going to be hemming a lot of pants, I'd recommend forgoing a table and getting a free-standing machine with a removable arm. You just pop the cuff over it and spin it as you sew.

As for the machine you were thinking about, unless there's something I don't know about it, $500 is an o.k. price at best. It's not a scam, but you'd want to really love it and the machine and table should be in great condition. You can definitely find new ones for less which will have more features; you probably wont need 50 different stitch patterns but stuff like the removable arm, or a button that automatically backstitches for you are pretty nice.

In general, expect to spend as much on a machine (table not included) as you would on a good microwave. If you go for a vintage machine, avoid anything digital. Make sure it has a foot, make sure the chords to the foot and power are in good condition, and make sure it doesn't have some weird non-standard bobbin situation. Don't buy what you haven't sewn on. For new machines, any of the big brands are find but check reviews to make sure you aren't getting the Walmart special.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for the replies. We'll see where I'm at once I've had a chance to get some sewing practice in and start looking more seriously at getting my own machine, and what's around then. I just figured that if that was a deal on a commercial machine, that worst case scenario would be that I could re-sell it easily enough. As it is, I'll just wait.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I got into sewing to make stuff I couldn't afford, but if I didn't end up liking it for other reasons there's no way it would be worth even my time to sew a button down shirt instead of buying one. If all you need is a better fit, I would try an mtm service like luxire or proper cloth

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah, the only reason I'm considering making some of my own clothes is because I really, really hate the current trends in office wear, and also loving Pockets. Otherwise, if I can get it off the rack? It's just easier to do so.

In more sewing-related news, I have started on a string quilt made of scraps from the two dresses I did, plus a giant box of scraps my mom handed me. (Plus base fabric she had me pick from her stash.) It's a spiderweb quilt, with a red base; the initial base fabric isn't going to have enough yardage to get a whole quilt out of, so I'll have to switch to a different red when I run out. But the point of this one is more to get some fabric used up and have something I can sell.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
I'm rewatching Game of Thrones, and I was wondering if anyone knew the term for what was done to this sleeve here, to make that diamond pattern. I know I've seen this sort of thing, but I'm curious how it's done, and I have no idea what to search for.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
It's smocking; you make pleats and then hold them in place with perpendicular stitches to make a decorative pattern. One of the last frontiers of old lady crafting.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
Thank you!!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Thanks for the replies. We'll see where I'm at once I've had a chance to get some sewing practice in and start looking more seriously at getting my own machine, and what's around then. I just figured that if that was a deal on a commercial machine, that worst case scenario would be that I could re-sell it easily enough. As it is, I'll just wait.

If your Craigslist is anything like where I am, you can get a really decent home machine for well under $200, which will do you just fine for most purposes.

If you want to learn, I'd strongly recommend just getting a machine. Feel free to post your local CL if you want help picking out a good deal.

And maybe look into sewing classes -- a lot of sewing shops provide them. Over here, the local school board even offers them for pretty cheap as part of their adult education program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Lead out in cuffs posted:

If your Craigslist is anything like where I am, you can get a really decent home machine for well under $200, which will do you just fine for most purposes.

If you want to learn, I'd strongly recommend just getting a machine. Feel free to post your local CL if you want help picking out a good deal.

And maybe look into sewing classes -- a lot of sewing shops provide them. Over here, the local school board even offers them for pretty cheap as part of their adult education program.

My craiglist is largely barren, and most of the results for sewing machines are ads for barn lightning with a bunch of keywords added to get hit on more searches. The only sewing classes our shop offers are "come pay hundreds of dollars to sit and all make the exact same quilt week by week with the other people who did the same."

I have a good friend who spent years working in a theater shop who is willing to teach me sewing basics on her machine. I really enjoy working with my hands and tend to well with tasks that require patience and attention to detail, so I think there's a chance I could genuinely enjoy it.