Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Anyone have a good source for cutting bias strips? I used to know how...

Currently I'm working on a tartan wrap dress (I'm thinking DVF meets Vivienne Westwood) but I know it won't turn out as cool as I thought it would, as I'm just drafting the pattern as opposed to draping it. Also I somehow didn't get enough fabric to cut the whole thing on the bias like I would have wanted.

The second project is making some Irish crochet lace with a .6 mm hook and some sewing thread. As I'm another member of the 'really big tits, small waist' club,I have found most antique blouses do not work on large busts. So I'm making my own based on some samples of the technique at the V+A. I'm about to cry- each little rose is smaller than my thumbnail.

Sigh. I'm either blind, dyslexic or both.

Molly Bloom fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 12, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
English as a second language, I'm guessing. Sometimes I just hit the little hiccup and man...does it ever...sometimes it's charming...and sometimes it just sends it all right to hell. Especially the right/left thing. It just smacks of babelfish / dictionary, to me.

Makes me wonder how people manage to hack through all those Japanese pattern books sometimes. Pictures and intuition only ever get me so far.

edited to add: how it got through Burda's proof-reading, that's a mystery for the ages, innit?

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Oh my God, Goldaline.

Your clothes are to die for.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Calvervtutrp posted:

Goldaline you are crazy. That must have taken loving forever, and it makes me sad that it's on the inside and won't be seen by EVERYONE. It's beautiful, and I love the colors.

That's the concept, though, unless I'm wrong. I entirely agree on the beauty.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Muffy_the_Diver posted:

Do you guys have any good resources (preferably cheap/online) for different eras of clothing? I'm looking at 1850s through 1980s+. There are a lot of different styles I like, but I'm having one heck of a time pinpointing what the style is called, or what era/region it is from. Some sort of reference/textbook would be ideal. I'm especially partial to fashions from the 1910s-1950s, so if there's something that mostly focuses on that timespan and only lightly touches on the rest, I'm fine with that.

I like 'Costume: 1066 to 1990' for the general shapes of the clothing from different eras. It can be had cheaply and seems to turn up secondhand fairly often.

For an online resource, I'd try http://www.costumes.org/ it has got some free patterns on there, as well as an awful lot of links and resources for hair, hats, etc.