Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pheasant Revolution
Dec 26, 2006

stitchin is bitchin
I've just started using my machine again. As far as I can tell it's a 1960s (?) Singer 507 and more or less does what I ask of it. As long as I only ask it to go forward and backward at various stitch lengths. I got it about 12 years ago and I've never cleaned it internally (in my defence I was 12 when I got it and no one in my family sews), my dad replaced a broken gear in 2002-ish so may have cleaned it out then. Fast forward to now and I realised, with the help of a sewing buddy, that cleaning it may not be a bad idea. If anyone could help me on how to do that it would be greatly appreciated. I can't even figure out how to get in and my dad's advice was "just undo the screws". This advice, whilst probably true, is scary as I now have a sewing machine that works and there is a very real possibility that I will end up with a table of bits that don't.

I've got plenty of time at the moment and am sewing like a gang buster but being able to zig zag (could gathered stitches be a lint issue or tension, I dunno) and generally feel like I'm not torturing this old lady would be nice.

On the zig zag issue it looks like the top thread is too tight and pulling the bobbin thread through to the top side and at the same time creating a little tunnel of fabric that dips down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pheasant Revolution
Dec 26, 2006

stitchin is bitchin
Learning to control our sewing at school we had to "sew" over patterns drawn on paper. No need for thread. Go as slowly as you need, and lift the foot up (with needle down in your work) when you feel the fabric itself is pulling you off course.

Pheasant Revolution
Dec 26, 2006

stitchin is bitchin
Has anyone rehabbed a 1970s (ish?) Husqvarna whose brain I can pick?

As far as I can tell the insides are gummed up, works veeeeery slowly on low gear and no movement in the higher gear.

It's a model 6430 I picked up from a thrift shop. I either got a very cheap workhorse of a sewing machine or quite expensive, but very effective doorstop.

Pheasant Revolution
Dec 26, 2006

stitchin is bitchin
I opened it up, its actually really clean lint-wise, but I can feel some tacky/old oil. At the thrift shop they said I needed to replace the drive belt, but I think a cleaning will do because of the low/high gear weirdness. I'll give cleaning it out a go and get back to the thread. I am inordinately excited about fixing it, but also scared, just have to remember it's not working now anyway.

Pheasant Revolution
Dec 26, 2006

stitchin is bitchin
Huh, ok. I picked up some sewing machine oil and had a really frustrating conversation with the lady at the sewing machine shop (yes, I realise you can do it better. No, I can't afford to pay you 90 euros to do it) I have decided a combination of heat (hairdryer, as per youtube) and oil, see how far I get before turning to more drastic option. I think the​ belt might need seeing to too, but first things first.

Pheasant Revolution
Dec 26, 2006

stitchin is bitchin
It may not be the exact look you're going for but taking the tube and sewing a channel for a drawstring at top and bottom would be a very easy solution, just tighten them over the frame. Just make the tube the length of the curve, not the height of the frame.

Pheasant Revolution
Dec 26, 2006

stitchin is bitchin
If you mean the curve that goes from top to bottom, then yes. I would be tempted to make it a bit longer and maybe tack it down as I doubt it's exactly the same length all the way down. A bit of hand sewing is a lot less frustrating than having to do the whole shebang again, I find.

Pheasant Revolution fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pheasant Revolution
Dec 26, 2006

stitchin is bitchin
Hahaha, amazing! I love it, your daughter is going to be the sweetest kid out there!