Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Do you guys have any recommendations for a sewing machine for beginners? It would be mostly used for making stuffed animals, adjustments to clothing and other small projects like maybe pillowcases. I don't want to spend too much because I'm poor and not sure how much I'll actually use it. I'd like to buy a second-hand machine but am kind of dazzled by all the brands and wildly varying prices... As far as I can see I should be able to pick up something decent enough for my purposes for around 70 dollars, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Brainbread posted:

Kenmore Ultrastitch 6.

Edit so I don't get banned: It was "baby's first sewing machine" about 20 or 30 years ago, so you can find them second-hand anywhere. They have pretty much all the basic functionality you'll need, and are really easy to take apart and maintain yourself.

I also have one, so I am biased.

I can't even find a store that sells them new in my country(Netherlands), let alone second-hand ones... Loads of Singer and Pfaff machines though. I've enlisted the aid of my mom, she's going to help me pick out a nice simple one and show me how to use it on Christmas. Can't wait for exams to be over and play around with it :neckbeard:

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
I got a sewing machine for christmas!

I understand that the fact that I already feel like throwing it off the fire escape is a natural part of the learning process? After exams I'm going to sit down and make ugly things until they get beautiful :argh:

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

amishsexpot posted:

Take a class! Even if it's like a 2 day thing, it'll be worth it. You'll get the hang of it soon. :)

More like "MOOOOOOM!!?":byodame:

We're going to do a small project together so she can show me from start to finish. :3:

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Do you guys have any recommendations for a tutorial on taking in shirts? Also, would just taking it in at the sides be enough for your average plain shirt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
e. Never mind :)

PiratePing fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 29, 2012