Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

I keep going back and forth on the Hawaiian shirt I'm making for my dad's Christmas present. Sometimes it looks like it'll fit perfectly, others I worry I hosed it up big time.

Basically, the store only had the pattern in XL. Instead of being patient and ordering it online, I bought it and tried to scale the pattern down. My dad has big shoulders, a broad chest and a small waist. 30 years in the Navy does you good! So, I think the pattern was very hard to scale down. I think the chest is going to be too small, and barring having him put it on a couple days before xmas, I have no way to properly fit it. So for a guy with (I'm pretty sure) a 42" chest and like a 36" waist, how is this going to fit? This is everything pinned, only the shoulder seams have been finished:

I know I didn't cut the neckhole right, so here is a closer and more confusing view of how I've got it pinned. Will it be okay to just cut it bigger, staystich it again, and put the collar on? Or will it mess up all the proportions for the shoulders?

I want it to be perfect. Hope you guys can offer some advice.

Bonus pic of my old machine!
What does all the symbols mean?!?! My reverse button has broken in half, and I don't know what the two knobs on either side of stich width do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

There's the zoomed in image. Not only are those symbols alien to me, I can't figure out how you would choose one anyway. While I'm asking, the top left switch doesn't seem to make a difference, am I missing something important?

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

Yeah, I've figured out how to get zig-zag stitch... however, you have to manually hold the stitch width knob. Absolutely stupid. So you're holding the knob with one hand trying to keep it steady on one size, you're trying to hold the fabric flat and straight with the left hand, and have to pause to pull out pins, and hope that your stitch doesn't change size every 2 inches.

So, here's to hoping I get a new machine for Christmas!!

I'll be showing off a Hawaiian shirt soon. :)

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

How difficult would a lined vest be to make? I tried on this gorgeous bartendery type vest at Bebe and can't ever imagine paying $100 for something like that.

Seems like it's a lot of pieces and a pain in the rear end to make though- anybody have experience?

My Hawaiian shirt isn't going too well. :(

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

Honestly I've come to realize that unless you've got a lot of practice, good things are worth buying. Decent fabric (why would you homesew with anything else) a pattern and the extras end up costing quite a lot I've noticed. I decided not to buy the vest because I'd never end up wearing it.

I remember about 10 years ago, sewing what you wanted at home was a cheaper alternative. Now it costs as much, if not more, than plenty of things you can get in the store. It's a fun hobby for me, but when I want a gorgeous pencil skirt, I'll pick one up and pay for it.

Now for the burning questions: Why doesn't the collar for my dad's shirt sit right? everything seemed smooth and well fitting when i pinned it, but after sewing the collar on completely, it's bunched in one or two places. Tommy Bahama I am not!

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

Captain Schlork posted:

You should do a mock-up every single time you make something beyond little accessories unless it's already a familiar pattern you've used. People ignore this a lot and mess up.
I wish I had. With the rate my scaled-down Dad shirt is going, it would have been cheaper going to Tommy Bahama. :argh:

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

Squirrly, it's just three spots where it tucks. At least they ended up pretty symmetrical!

I definitely will keep sewing fun things for myself- but when I see something really complex, gorgeous and well constructed I'll buy it instead of attempting it- for now.

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

Wonderful, thanks!

Anybody have suggestions for replacing coat buttons. I bought a trench coat and a wool coat for the winter and both of them have already lost a button. I noticed that they're pretty different than regular button sewing- looser and not as close to the actual fabric. I'd prefer not to go to a tailor...

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

Brilliant!! Thanks.

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

Out of curiosity, how do you ladies pick what you're sewing? Do you sketch out what you're thinking of, then go to the store to find a good enough fabric? Or do you start with fabrics and then design from there?

I don't have an independent fabric store near by, so I was thinking of making a pilgrimage to one and just buying tons of fabrics that I love. How do I make sure I have enough to work with without bankrupting myself?

I'm sick of doing projects for other people. It's time to sew for myself!

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

I'm mostly curious because I do sketch out my ideas, but I don't really have the technical knowledge to make them come to life. For example, my recent sketches have had a lot of pleats, and I have no idea how to make them actually happen. The local community college sewing class is always full immediately. :(

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

So I am completely stuck on a set of instructions. I am making a pair of pants. I have successfully made two pant legs, but they conveniently forgot the accompanying photo for the HARDEST part!
So here it is and can anybody translate it into English?
7.) Front Middle Seam

Baste the seam allowances of the front facings, the front middle and the back middle seams, consecutively. Turn one pant leg, left side outside. Push pant legs into each other, right fabric sides and inner leg seams meet. Pin the front middle seam coming from the arrow mark until you reach the inner leg seam. Stitch. Secure seam end and beginning . Pull the pant legs apart again.

It's the Nicola from BurdaStyle and i can post a link to the pdf if anybody is willing to help. Please!

Also, does anybody have advice on how to stitch very stretchy jersey cotton? I have a maxi dress to alter and I'm making a mess of the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

Okay I HAVE to brag. You guys showed me the light in old sewing machines, for sure. I have an oldish one but it's a completely piece of junk- plus it's got all sorts of parts broken off and can't even keep a decent tension. Soo, I had my bf's mom scouting yard sales for "all metal machines". Found this baby from 1958. Barely used, obviously.
So unassuming.

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

But it's great!

Click here for the full 923x618 image.

Look at all the stuff that came with it!

Click here for the full 1296x688 image.

Half of these feet completely baffled me. Luckily I have the book that explains EVERYTHING!

Click here for the full 848x494 image.

How much for this perfectly complete and like-new machine? A whopping $10 dollars. :smug: