Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Holy poo poo, that is awesome, thank you for the effortpost. I have a jelly roll that I was going to pad out with some solid fabric, I think I'll do this with it.

E: if you weren't using stabilizer, would it be enough that all your fabric is the same?

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Those are super slick, thanks for showing me those. I have no sewing vocab yet so getting pointed to techniques is really helpful for me.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Any place that does tailoring and alterations should be able to handle it if i understand you correctly on zipper placement. Does the cuff zipper go around the cuff like the pictured one goes around the knee? Those places regularly install zippers so they can handle it. I'd expect it to cost more than a pants hemming, probably the cost of a hemming and zipper replacement would be my guess.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Those are all pretty but I like the first and last ones the most. What's the name for that type of design for the bottom one? I love your color selection.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Holy poo poo that will be cool af

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Anyone have a good source for swimsuit fabric? Alternately, can I just use Lycra or another performance/tech fabric and if so, anyone have a good source for some? Looking for personal recommendations. Fabric quality and allowing me to order small (1-2 yards at a time) quantities are the highest priorities, although cheaper is obvs better.

MIL gave me a serger. I don't recall the brand and I'm not at home, but hopefully I can start widening my sewing horizons.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Thanks for the leads, dudes.

Goldaline, I'm so stoked to see that when you're done.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Somehow I missed that there was a sewing thread up in here.

I make quilts! This is my most recently finished one. I dyed the fabric (sheet from the thrift store), pieced it, quilted it, and bound it all by myself.

However it is very small and I don't need a tiny quilt so I'm waiting for someone to have a baby so I can give it to them.

I dig this quilt.

Is there a template/pattern somewhere? I am a newbie and I want to see how that top is pieced (also I like watching videos of quilts being made).

Gray is the best color for everything, baby blankets included. I don't know whether it is objectively modern but people think of it that way so here we are.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Hey that is cool, thank you.

Would you make the border of each block using 4 strips around the center square like for a log cabin block (without the color considerations)?

e: VVV excellent, thanks

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 3, 2016

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That cross stitch spider is cute.

That's a good bag, especially for a first bag and especially hand-sewn. You can get crisper corners if you trim the inside seam allowance, use a turning tool, and iron the seams.

These are not the most useful pictures but you might get the gist here: http://www.simplesimonandco.com/2014/01/tips-for-sewing-smooth-curves-and-creating-crisp-corners.html/

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Goldaline posted:

I use it a ton for all my weird appliques, plus things like buttonholes, bartacks, and attaching belt loops. If you're even thinking of touchīng a piece of spandex, the zig zag becomes your best friend.

I saw a tutorial somewhere that showed the difference between a regular presser foot and a walking foot for zigzags on knits. The walking foot made it almost as flat as a professionally serged seam. Is it possible to get that result on a regular machine with a standard foot?

I keep trying on knits and I'm sure it takes practice, but I can't figure out what to actually do to improve my results.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Thanks for the input, I'm happy to invest in one. The internet had me thinking it would be possible with a regular foot and I was just Not A Good Sew-er (which is likely the case but maybe not on this subject :v: )

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

You can throw it in the wash with a cup or two of salt and/or vinegar if you're looking to soften the fabric. I don't know of anything that will do much to color without immediate damage.

Keep in mind this will speed aging overall, but it's not as drastic as bleach.

E: according to google it's vinegar alone or with baking soda, or extended salt baths. I googled "soften tee shirts".

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 13, 2016

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Make sure when you first start on a piece of fabric that you grab those thread tails and hold them steady for the first couple stitches.

Even with a zigzag stitch and a ballpoint needle, it's just about impossible to get a good looking result out of stretch fabric without a walking foot. Sure, you can have even stitches and all that, but it'll stretch the poo poo out of the fabric no matter what you do. I beat my head against that wall for ages until learning that little tidbit.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Are you certain that your needles aren't getting bent?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

coyo7e posted:

By "cloth load" I was referring to "there's cloth on it, the foot is down, there's thread in it and it's performing *work* whether the work is what I desire or not". Generally I'm working with a couple layers of flannel to possibly canvas/enim and switch my needles and tensions as best I can figure.

Sorry there's probably some term I don't know but I meant to say "when there's nothing giving tension or friction it works fine - and when I have cloth in it - it knocks like a mofo," so I would really appreciate being taught what the appropriate terminology is.. I mean I'm like, hours or days from breaking out the serger I was willed by my dead grandma and that's going to be a world of vaguely-understood-engineering/maintenance-issues until I bust that poo poo for like the next 6-12 months.

Please, educate me on what I'm mistaken by - was "cloth load" really that difficult to construe within context? If so I'm super sorry, it seemed fairly straightforward because I know different types of cloth have different resistances and requires different needles etc... I could throw out all kinds of super obsrcure terms which don't even make sense in context in my serger's manuals unless I already know what they're referring to. I figured that one was self-evident.

I apologize for being obtuse

tl;dr: I'll be your R. Lee Ermey: READ THE loving MANUAL

There's basically any number of things that could be causing this problem, from trying to power through just plain too much fabric, to using cheap lovely needles, wrong needles, hosed up timing due to not knowing how to use your machine, wrong needle position, wrong stitch width, wrong upper thread tension, badly wound bobbin thread, cheap thread, pulling the fabric, etc. That knocking is probably needle deflection/bent needles. My guess is you've got ball points or all purpose needles in there, where you need heavy duty titanium at minimum for the probably 3 to 4 layers of canvas/duck that you're working on.

It's still not clear whether you have the manual or have taken a class in the last decade despite advice to you to get the manual and your advice to others to take a class. You say you want to learn terminology. Here you go: Start here. Start googling everything in Grandma's serger manual. If you've done all this troubleshooting, read and understand the manual for both your machines, and it's still acting up, it's time for service and a class for you. Anything else is like putting stitches in a dead person. No one here can fix your machine if it requires service or if it requires you learning how to use it.

Don't act like your dead grandma's serger is some kind of hostage that you're obligated to kill if the thread doesn't fix your daily driver. Most of us have probably been in your shoes at some point or another with a frustrating machine problem so we know how much of a pain in the rear end it is. That said, I have yet to see the model of your machine posted, so even if you did expect someone here to dig it up for you (which would not be reasonable), they would be wholly unable to. If machine terminology is important to you to learn, the manual is a good jumping off point. Past that, your internet seems to work and there are quite a few tutorials and resources online.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

You guys think that's funny but I had a female psychologist in a military treatment facility tell me in the year 2016 that a way I could get my apartment leasing office to treat me better and meet their legal obligations was to wear makeup.

Some poo poo never changes.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I'll be sure to hold your hand and ask the same questions others have already asked you when you come ranting/begging for troubleshooting without covering the basics first, if that makes it easier for you.

E: and something about a tractor to demonstrate you have competence somewhere

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Hrrrrngh Goldaline those look so good, your hard work is really paying off.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That jacket! :shlick:

I need it in my life. Did you work out the patterns from scratch?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

It looks so good, though. Being able to make cool looking workout/casual clothes is the whole reason I wanted to learn to sew.

It might have been a bitch to sew but that piped seam and unusual construction looks so cool I want to marry it. Once I can sit again you can bet I'll be attempting something similar to that jacket.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Princess Tutu posted:

This page has a lot of serge chatting, so is it alright to brag about my new machine?

I broke my Brother 1034D about a year ago, serging a piece of muslin of all things, and refused to pay 80 bucks to fix such a cheap machine. So I endured living without one for a year, and this past week got the Elna 664 Pro. I am in love. I have to say that if I could go back and do it all over, I'd go ahead and invest in this machine first. It's so clear how everything works; I have tension recommendations for all the stitches right on the machine, and the manual is a lot more helpful than my Brother's collection of DVDs. I also get a free lesson and machine servicing from my shop!

The stitch is lovely, and made sewing stretch velvet this past week a breeze. So now it's time to conquer my fear of chiffon! Wish me luck!

Good luck!

I think hobbyists tend to get stuck in this vicious cycle with cheap machines. You buy a cheap one because you're not making income from the hobby and/or you're not sure you'll like it, but the machine is a pain to use and/or breaks down often, so you probably don't enjoy the hobby as much as you would with a better quality tool.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Yeah, any of those cleaners/degreasers/thread strippers will eat anything that is petroleum based at all. Plastic, rubber, latex, Bakelite if you're weird and/or across the sea, adhesives, certain chrome finishes I think. A lot of them work overnight too so a spot test for 10 min or so isn't long enough to know.

E: and they will turbofuck the electronics

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

oh man I love that, so modern and gorgeous. I really dig the dividers too, really gives it that extra oomph, and I'm a huge fan of crossstitched cusses. Are those fabrics all from the same line or did you just do a great job matching? They all coordinate really well.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Fuckin' bonus, they match my dirty old phone case.

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1003337210912010240
They ended up being slightly too big. I think I hosed up the waistband, or need to add another set up buttons in the back, but by that point the elastic would be taking up a lot.

All in all, I made my first pair of shorts within 18 hours of starting them, so that's neat. A lot of mistakes were made, re-made, and fixed, lessons were learned, and I think I'm ready for nationals, coach!

Got drat I am in love with these. Congrats also on the thrift store find, rarely do I find anything good enough to make a garment from. Usually I use them for muslins.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Cowwan posted:

I noticed, I'm just bad at keeping it on the guide and probably moving too fast.

There are magnetic guides that attach to the sole plate to keep stuff straight.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

I made these robes and sashes for a friend's art festival performance, and now somehow I'm in charge of costumes for an entire play.

Send help.

I caught a cold from some Typhoid Mary type on an airplane last week, you want me to cough on you?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

So more zipper questions. I'm a dude who does not wear dresses who is making a dress for myself:

It's back zipping, but I don't know how long a back zip needs to go. I had my wife measure my back and it looks like it would end at about waist level, is that long enough or do I need a longer zipper?

I just want you to know that it's awesome you're making that.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Tias posted:

Yeah, no feedback on the technique since I'm a noob, but the look is killer. I've literally worked in a gay bondage club, and they'd let you in if you wore that.

I smell a A/T thread

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Rythe posted:

I can not be happier with the way it came out, my daughter's costume came out great, I was able to build my wife's easily and ran out of time and had to buy mine.

The tube idea to cover the frame was fantastic and saved a ton of time.

You guys are frigging adorable, you look so great.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I just realised where I have seen that before.

My old lady shopping trolly

It's fitting; no matter our age, we are all too old for this poo poo.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Goldaline posted:

I continue to make weird underwear, it seems to be finding me a niche audience and I get more commission requests than I ever have before, wow.

Linked for just barely not quite :nsfw:

Gift Wrapped set for the Holidays
https://imgur.com/1NaXykZ
https://imgur.com/JY6mIHM

Angel Set because....I love weird angel poo poo.
https://imgur.com/ei3Q1SZ
https://imgur.com/xnx8r4n

I'm back to cosplay for the moment though, working on Chrom Fire Emblem at the moment.

Awesome as always. Btw, your makeup kicks rear end.

How'd you get the leggings to stay up? Is that a spandex band?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That tent is giving me a test erection.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I'm not sure if there's a specific name for it, looks like it's just PU/vinyl/"vegan" leather (aka pleather) with a foam backing. I think you can buy it foam-backed as an upholstery fabric.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That coat is excellent

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Has anyone ever used super cheap thread and noticed that it seemed to gently caress with your tension? It didn't actually change the tension of the machine, because once I loaded a different thread everything was fine and went back to normal, but when I was trying to work with this 99c black thread it became really tight/hard to pull both the needle thread and the bobbin. Not a big deal because I can just chuck that thread and be done with it, but I didn't even know that such a thing was possible

My guess is that such cheap thread is probably wound badly, but I imagine if it's rough/inconsistent that'll screw up your tension too.

If a dull needle can screw up your tension, I completely believe crappy thread can do it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bees on Wheat posted:

It's probably this, but I'd imagine the fiber content could (possibly) have something to do with it too. Most of my threads are polyester or poly-cotton blend, but man let me tell you about the time I tried to load the machine up with quilter's cotton by mistake.. :doh:

Uh hell I've probably done this too, it might explain why my tension is off so often. I knew about dull needle but not thread fiber.

What's the fix, do you just fiddle with tension until it's not hosed up anymore? A cursory Google found some info on relative stretch & tells me you may not want to use poly on cotton knits bc it can break the cotton fibers, but that's about all I've found on the subject.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Sex Robot posted:

I finally have space for my sewing machine. I sat down, set it up and had a blast. It's a cheap basement Singer Tradition that had spent 2 years boxed on top of my wardrobe waiting for it's time. I patched a bunch of clothes and made some small curtains for the bathroom nooks in our shared house. I was loving it. Then the light fizzed and the machine died.

RIP Singer Tradition March 9th-March 11th. But I have a taste for it now.

My cursory Google says some machines don't work if the bulb burns out? Could be that.

You didn't blow a house circuit, did you?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That's a much better design than something that goes around your ears. I normally wear a n95 or better when dyeing yarn and the straps go around the back of my head like that design. Anything that rubs your skin can't be worn any appreciable length of time.

Just a PSA: when you take off the mask, you need to pull it off from the back and throw it directly into the washer. Touching the front of the mask will transfer any viral particles from the mask which then contaminate your hands and anything it comes into contact with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Did ya clean that sucker? My guess is you've got all kinds of dust and lint wherever the bobbin sits.

Try a blast of canned air and try changing top and bobbin thread.

E: I have that machine but I've never had bird's nests that bad, or any skipped stitches. The bobbin can be a bit fiddly to get in and pulled up properly, but if you've YouTubed it idk what you could be doing wrong off the top of my head

E2: I can try to make a video tomorrow when I sew if you think that might help

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 9, 2020