Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I'm pretty new to sewing - I know how to set up and operate the machine and do some simple seams, but the first and only thing I've ever designed from the ground up is a dust cover for the sewing machine (it turned out OK I guess). I want to make a dust cover for my typewriter, but I'd appreciate some idiot-checking help to see if I'm on the right track.

I have a table of parts taken from measurements of the typewriter, with everything rounded up to the nearest inch e.g. back: 16x6, top: 16x9, and so on. There's some plain muslin for the lining and ordinary broadcloth for the outside, plus some midweight fusible interfacing for stiffness. My idea is to build each panel - back, sides, front, two for the top - separately, with the lining, interfacing, and exterior, then sew the finished panels together into a sort of box shape. Will the interfacing be too stiff to properly sew and then fold into 90 degree corners? Should I iron the interfacing into each panel piece and then assemble the cover, or sew the panels into place and then iron once the whole thing's been finished? Should the adhesive side of the interfacing face the lining or the exterior? And are there any obvious problems that I'm overlooking? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU