Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I know the common wisdom is not to buy your first machine but look at this thing!

So tempted for about $50 US, and all I want to do is putz around and maybe make a few bowties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

That is an impressively thick beard you're sporting there.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Tasoth posted:

So I'm attempting a halloween costume and I am using 100% polyester. I just spent an hour or two trying to sew it to no avail. The over thread (right term?) and bobbin thread aren't locking together or only doing it once. Is this to do with the needle size?

This is possibly horrible and incredibly patronising, but is the bobbin thread pulled out the hole between the feed dogs or are you just popping it in, closing the gate and starting to sew? The last time I sewed anything I was twelve, so it took me a bit to work that issue out.

On the other hand, the first thing I made (and just stitched up the opening in the back last night) was this, and from tracing another vest I had so I don't feel I've done too bad considering.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Any suggested patterns for a pair of men's dress trousers for a beginner?
Burda Style 7841 is the only one I can see online that aren't huge tent things, but I'm not certain if anything in that is going to be insurmountable with my slim knowledge.
I've no deadline or event I need them for; just the self-satisfaction of making them so it's not like I can't afford to redo stuff if need be.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

I need to take some shirts in, and a quick google got me this, which seems quite straight forward.
I do wonder about ripping out all the seams first though; if I'm sewing far enough in I'm not going to need the previously seamed-fabric to make up my seam allowance can't I just pin, sew and cut while it's still intact then trim the excess?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Ahah thanks guys, "shut up and do as you're told because reasons" would have been perfectly adequate. Hitting a thrift store at lunch hopefully, so I don't louse up my better ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

OK so I unpicked the shirt last night, and the front panels are wider than the back. It's possible it has stretched (it's not a new shirt) but am I right in thinking I should just line up the edges, pull the back flat, bunch the excess fabric in the middle and pin it down to prevent it moving? I'm taking in about one inch from each side doubled, so 4in total for what used to be a fairly snug shirt :woop: